Hybrid / Fairway / Driving Iron - which would you choose?

bodhi555

I'm in the process of sorting out my bag for next season, and as far as I can see I have one spot left to fill. Stuff that isn't changing is:

Driver (270+)

3 Wood (240+)

4 Iron (200)

5 iron (185)

6 iron (175)

7 iron (165)

8 iron (150)

9 iron (135)

PW (120)

50 (105)

54 (90)

58 (70)

All distances are in yards. As you can see the gap I am trying to fill is between 3 Wood and 4 iron - I have a couple of options at the moment but neither are ideal. I have my Vapor Fly Pro 2 Iron which is an absolute rocket launcher off the tee, and OK off the deck if I have a good lie and is good for around 230 yards. I also have my Frankenwood, which is a Vapor Fly 5 Wood with the shaft from a 3 wood in it. Good for about 215 out of just about any lie, but it's not so great off the tee due to the trajectory of the thing (very high, although bizarrely not as high as it was with a 5 Wood shaft in it).

My ideal world would be to keep both the 5 Wood and 2 Iron in the bag, or learn to hit the 2 iron off the deck and just carry that, but I'm also looking at other options. I definitely prefer long irons to fairway woods, so thinking of some sort of hybrid/utility iron to do both tee and fairway and will get me a solid 220 yards down the fairway from either.

What are my best options? I played on holiday over Xmas and the rental set had an 818 H2 in there, only hit it once but it went like a rocket - nice and low and around the distance I'm looking for. So the 818 H2 19 degree is definitely one I'll be looking at, but are there any other options out there? Only manufacturer I'm not really insterested in is Ping, so am all ears for other suggestions.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5wood for you will be too long.

A 19* hybrid or 18-19 degree "driving iron" would be perfect. Whichever one you hit more consistently.

Hybrids- take your pick. Watch out for callaway. The epic hybrid was HOT and long.

Driving irons - srixon, mizuno, ping, tmb are the hot topic items in this category.

I guess my main concern is around trajectory - I do hit a very high ball hence gravitating more towards long irons to keep it down. I'll be keeping the 2 iron in the locker for windy days and game on the Links (same thing I guess), but is it possible to get a hybrid which keeps the ball down?

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I guess my main concern is around trajectory - I do hit a very high ball hence gravitating more towards long irons to keep it down. I'll be keeping the 2 iron in the locker for windy days and game on the Links (same thing I guess), but is it possible to get a hybrid which keeps the ball down?

Sure. Just look for the models that have weight bias forward...

Callaway Apex

TM m1/m3

Titleist h1

Cobra f series + models

TM r15 was a really good hybrid for keeping the ball down.

Depends on your swing speed, dynamic conditions and shot selection.

Assuming these are carry distances - 270 carry means you have some speed. If you don't need the 220-230 yard shot into par 5's/long par 3's very often than 5w is probably out. Some tour guys love the towering flight but for me, they go insanely high and the wind eats them up. So that leaves hybrid or long iron.

I have both because I play different courses that can use either or, depending on the situation. I use the hybrid on courses with the shorter par 5's that I can try and reach in 2 shots, or courses that might have bunkers in that 240-250 yard range that makes 3w a bad choice, and makes it a very tough driver because any kind of miss hit risks landing in them. I use the long iron for courses with tighter fairways and/or par 5's that I know I won't bother going for in 2. It primarily becomes a tee club, or something I might use to chip out under trees but I have an angle down the fairway and I'm not in deep rough.

The hybrid is muuuuuch easier out of bad lies than the long iron though. Also, a hybrid can be used to chip from off the fringe, where a 3i really isn't. Hybrid usually ends up in the bag but the 3i is easier to control, with a little bit less utility.

I can’t speak for driving irons, but 5 woods for me have always had a couple of problems; I don’t hit them with any consistency, and if I do catch one it often hops over greens.

So when I had the same sort of problem, that my 2 iron stopped working and became a liability, I had the same gap to fill. After trial and error, on a whim I bought an 18° Big Bertha Diablo 2 hybrid with the stock shaft from Play-it-again. $30 for a consistent 230yd laser beam, and my go-to for Par 5’s and tight par 4’s. Put me in the hybrid camp.

Does your current set have a 3 iron option you can pick up? That might be an option and would work.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

What are my best options? I played on holiday over Xmas and the rental set had an 818 H2 in there, only hit it once but it went like a rocket - nice and low and around the distance I'm looking for. So the 818 H2 19 degree is definitely one I'll be looking at, but are there any other options out there? Only manufacturer I'm not really insterested in is Ping, so am all ears for other suggestions.

My distances are similar to yours, except I have a 4W instead of a 3w.

I ended up going with a Cobra 3-utility. I am more confident with it than with a hybrid and it fits the yardage gap nicely. I reshafted mine with the same shaft that is in my irons and it works great.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I ended up going with a Cobra 3-utility. I am more confident with it than with a hybrid and it fits the yardage gap nicely. I reshafted mine with the same shaft that is in my irons and it works great.

That's a great option.

The utility isn't exactly a driving iron.

That's a great option.

The utility isn't exactly a driving iron.

Yup. I didn't really see the point in a club that I can hit over 220. Let's be honest I'm not that consistent and I'd rather have something that goes 215 max but that I hit more consistently. I play it at "standard" 3-iron length.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Smaller club manufacturer Tour Edge has a hybrid you might like, but I don't know if you can tap their supply chain.

The CBX hybrid model features 1-degree loft changes from 16*-20*, and then jumps to 22*. The TE reps bill it as left-proof. It has robust stock shafts from the Project X HZRDUS Black and Kuro Kage Silver models.

The TE site: https://www.touredge.com/products/cbxhybrid.asp

One thing to consider is a club that will give you distance out of the rough. A 3H might be better for this than a driving iron. You obviously have excellent clubhead speed if you worry about ballooning a 5W. (If your drives are always down the middle, ignore this paragraph.)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Hybrid for versatility.

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

Hybrid is going to give you the most variety of shots in one club without trying to hard. It will be hard to recreate the low/control stinger shot of the 2 iron off the tee and bring it in and stop it as quick as a 5 wood but it covers most of the middle ground. Or just switch out the 2 iron and 5 wood depending on the course and what shots you're going to need.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

Cheers folks, I've just been down to my club for an iron fitting (not buying new, just getting lofts and lies checked) and asked the fitter about the gap. He gave me an 818 H2 with Rogue Max X flex in it and I am sold. 220 - 230 yards consistent off the deck, same off a tee and lower trajectory than even my 2 iron.

Sounds like witchcraft to me that a 19 degree hybrid can go lower than a 17 degree 2 iron, but I like it. Just waiting for bonus month now and one will be ordered.

• 4 months later...

Find this topic fascinating, set composition. Been lucky enough to acquire a ‘squad’ of clubs over the last few years on the whole by buying models when replaced in shelf life. Last year it was the original Ping Crossover, though finding my 20 degree G15 hybrid more.effective out of lush or wet rough for me than 21 degree c:/o, (which is more accurate on long par 3s for whatever reason!).

This year have invested in Ping g400 stretch 3 wood and 5 wood. Now the driver has come into rotation because stretch is so long.

In early part of season have been carrying w/52/58 to enable 5 wood and Rapture 2 iron because despite living inland uk it’s quite a windy area, so use stretch and rapture into wind and 5 wood when it’s behind!

Trying to match clubs to course and conditions through planning now, to make it easier to concentrate on playing. Only one I’ve never really been able to factor in is a 64 degree Cleveland wedge I won in a competition!

This is quite literally the same dilemma that I'm going through right now. Have a 3H, but I'm not super consistent with it, though I can certainly bash it out there. I swing my 3W comfortably, and I'm going to tinker with a 5W. But then there's the idea of a 3 iron/2iron also, which is appealing. Very confusing.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue

Titleist TSi2 3W, 5W Ventus TR Blue

Callaway Apex CB 4-PW DG 120

Titleist Vokey SM9 50/55/60 Oban CT 115

Ping PLD Anser

I swap my 3w - utility spot with quite a lot of clubs.

My p790 Udi setup has been so reliable off the tee it sees the most usage.

I played an i15 17* hybrid with kbs tour hybrid for several years and just replaced it with a tour b 18*. No clue how far it will go in real course conditions but ideally it’s for cold/rain/swing off/long course.

In summer if my swing is on, it’s still 95% driving iron.

I'd say strong hybrid - 17 or 18 degree. Try a few out to check distance and trajectory, but at that loft they should not be too high. Great for par 5s when the 3 wood is too much. Great from the rough. Also great for chipping from the fringe.

Cobra LTDx VA Composites Drago 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist AP3 4-PW+48 Tour AMT white x100

Vokey SM9 54.10S (@53) 

Vokey SM9 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

ProV1X