Iron help!

Golfguy224

You own both? Have you hit them both on launch monitor? Good to get an idea of spin, descent angle, and dispersion. In the end though it's important to choose the iron you feel most comfortable over. I also haven't been playing long, similar cap, generally shoot high 70s to mid 80s and I have a set of Ping and a set of Mizuno (though mine are blades). The Ping have performed exceptionally well. For the size they are extremely forgiving. I'm still experimenting but I think I'll be switching to blades full time not 100% sure yet though need more rounds under my belt. I certainly prefer the feeling of the Mizuno. FWIW I did not care at ALL for the AP3. Worth paying for a fitting to get your numbers, length, lie etc checked. Just because you get fit doesn't mean you need to make a purchase.

Hey guys just had a question for you about purchasing new irons. 2 years ago I started playing golf and took a handy cap. I’ve been playing a couple times a week and hitting the range at least once or twice. I’ve fallen in love with the game and can’t get it off my mind. So here’s my question. I’ve had the ping since they came out. I’ve worked my way down to a 12 Handicap and staring to see my game take off. I’m looking for more of a players iron. Starting to shape shots more and not really worried about too much distance because I already swing hard and get enough of it. So I’m torn between two clubs. I’ve hit them both and got pretty good results from them. The ping i210 and the Mizuno JPX 919 f. I’ve always been a ping guy and I don’t know much about Mizuno but everyone keeps saying they are a high end club. I still need alittle bit of forgiveness and was wondering what you guys think would best suite me. Obviously it’s going to come down to me swinging them both more but wanted some input. Love the feel of the i210s hit them good but don’t feel as confident standing over them. Something about the smaller club head sorta freaks me out. But I like them and love ping so idk what to do. The Mizuno feel great and go a ways. I like soft feeling irons and I just can’t decide between the two. Any advice here would help. Which will have more forgiveness? Also thinking ap3s wha do you guys think of them?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You own both? Have you hit them both on launch monitor? Good to get an idea of spin, descent angle, and dispersion. In the end though it's important to choose the iron you feel most comfortable over. I also haven't been playing long, similar cap, generally shoot high 70s to mid 80s and I have a set of Ping and a set of Mizuno (though mine are blades). The Ping have performed exceptionally well. For the size they are extremely forgiving. I'm still experimenting but I think I'll be switching to blades full time not 100% sure yet though need more rounds under my belt. I certainly prefer the feeling of the Mizuno. FWIW I did not care at ALL for the AP3. Worth paying for a fitting to get your numbers, length, lie etc checked. Just because you get fit doesn't mean you need to make a purchase.

I just recently purchased new irons. The jpx919F and I210 along with the Srixon Z585 were my top 3. In order of forgiveness for me at least it was the z585 then the JPX919F and last the I210. I personally liked the I210 and was going to go with that but when I went to my fitting I was more consistent with the Z585.so i purchased those

I don’t own either sets of clubs. I know I need to get fitted for them for sure. I’ve just hit them at a local golf shop a couple times and was just looking to get some knowledge from you guys about them. Thanks!!!

I see I just misunderstood. A reputable fitter will get you sorted. Make sure you go back on multiple days so you can see if the numbers are repeatable and also hit more than just the 6 or 7 iron they have for demo. You need to know if the long irons work for you and if the PW suits your eye. Big box stores will try to get them in your hand and push you out the door but it's better to take your time. A friend of mine got "fit" for G400 irons at Golftown here in Canada last winter - all they did was cut them a quarter in short leaving lie alone with stock shafts in. He showed me his numbers and they were so far from optimal... He's gotten used to them but IMO he should have gotten something different.

Ha...I thought you were saying you owned both of them, too! You said....

“So I’m torn between two clubs. I’ve got them both and got pretty good results from them. The ping i210 and the Mizuno JPX 919 f.”

Titleist TS2 9.5* Diamana S+ 60 LTD
TItleist 917F2 16.5* Diamana S+ 70 LTD
Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i Modus 120 -OR- TM V Steel 7W 21* NV 75
Ping i210 4-UW DG 120
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* & 60* SS
Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5

I just recently purchased new irons. The jpx919F and I210 along with the Srixon Z585 were my top 3. In order of forgiveness for me at least it was the z585 then the JPX919F and last the I210. I personally liked the I210 and was going to go with that but when I went to my fitting I was more consistent with the Z585.so i purchased those

For what it's worth, i'm getting fit for new irons in the spring. First new irons since 2013 or 2014 and these are my 3 finalists as well (first at the area demo days and then at my fitting). My handicap fluctuated between 8-11 last year. I may even consider a combo set of z585/785 and the JPX Hot Metal/forged.

One other iron yet to be released I am interested in adding to my test list is the Hot Metal Pro.

... Down to a 12 HDCP... So I'm torn between two clubs. I've hit them both and got pretty good results from them. The ping i210 and the Mizuno JPX 919 f. I've always been a ping guy and I don't know much about Mizuno but everyone keeps saying they are a high end club. I still need a little bit of forgiveness and was wondering what you guys think would best suite me. Obviously it's going to come down to me swinging them both more but wanted some input. Love the feel of the i210s hit them good but don't feel as confident standing over them. Something about the smaller club head sorta freaks me out.

Indulge me for a bit of history... Back in 2008, I decided to replace my irons and seriously redo my bag for the first time in 14 years. I had not paid too much attention to club design for a few years, and here's what I found. The overall engineering advances were mindboggling:

Almost every major manufacturer made at least one model of irons I could play, as long as I had the right shaft in them!

I suspect the same goes for you. In your case, the advantage of staying with Ping is your familiarity with their product. And, Ping makes iron models for several different skill and preference levels. Also, Ping has a smoother transition period from one model to another. The i210 is the new model, but you can still get i200 if you hunt around a little. And, don't forget about shafts: that's half the golf club!

If you get on the launch monitor, comparing different brands and models, this is likely what you will find: you come down to two or three iron models that have similar performance data. The tie-breaker is you. Go with the model of iron that gives you the most confidence when you stand over it.

Years ago for drivers it came down to the Cleveland HiBore and the Callaway HyperX Tour. Callaway won because it seemed to set up automatically for my drives - no thought required.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |