Ping Blueprint forged irons- New photos added page 27

I like the looks of these as many do here, but to look at this from a business standpoint, aside from the 100 or so sets that may sell to members of forums like this, is it REALLY a sound business idea to make these available to the general public? I've had people at PING (I'm I'm the golf industry as a golf course GM) tell me that irons like the S-series/iBlades make up less than 2% of their own iron sales. I'd say these clubs would be a smaller subset of that.

As someone who sells PING, I just have to wonder how many sets of these the golfing public would actually buy. Of course I'd love to try them out and tinker with them, but I really don't see them selling that well overall. In the 15 years I've been at my current course, I've sold exactly one set of S-series/iBlades (outside of my own personal sets) to the public. I just have to wonder outside of gear heads like us (forum members), who is going to come in droves to PING for a club like this?

Maybe they are primarily designed for Tour players. If Tour players play better, that brings more name recognition to Ping as a whole. Ping hasn't even said when exactly they are coming to retail, so they realize they are in no rush to make them.

This comment is pretty spot on. I had the opportunity to speak with John Solheim about the club and he confirmed that the Blueprint is going to be a Tour oriented offering with very limited weighting options (like some of their other recent designs). They've designed the club with relatively heavy "Tour" weighting that falls into a small window that can only be adjusted by the hosel and toe weights to a small degree. In other words, if you like a D5, you're in luck. If not, oh well....

Sounds perfect !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

i would be very sad to not see them come to market. might as well lock the thread and throw it in the trash.....these never happened.

Agree. Will be very disappointed.

And if true wait till a set of these finds it’s way to the public. Big $$ for sure.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Second Ping post today. Pro told me these are not coming to retail and they have no current plans. Although Ping understands that they could sell a set to every card carrying member of WRX, they just do not feel there would be enough of a market for the line in the normal golf outlets.

If this is true, it's pretty much what I posted earlier as my beliefs or questions as to why PING would bring these to retail. They already more or less admit there's little to no market for even the iBlades or S-series, this would be smaller. And PING is usually very good with business decisions, so (as a retailer myself) I don't see much market for these...not in the numbers they'd have to sell to even recoup the cost of making and marketing them.

Agree on paper. But in reality I’d bet anything they are as easy or easier to hit than iblade. So basically peoples fear of a non concave back would kee then from selling. Sad really. A ping iron without offset isn’t easy to come by. I500 in retro loft is The only one I know of.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Maybe it's a retail release or something like the PLD putters, but I'm betting these will be available.

PLD putters are also released/available through the accounts/reps. These irons may still come to retail, but those of us with PING accounts will know (if past PING history hold true and they handle it like they have any other release) prior to launch. As far as I know, PING requires the reps to have an on site visit with everyone account before the launch of a new product.

Logic would tell me that if these irons have to be made in certain numbered lots and not 1 and a time , then why not offer the leftover of the first run and see if they sell via Custom order ? Like the titleist 680 re- release. Rumor on that is they had to make so many sets anyway for pros playing them. So decided to offer limited numbers for sale.

In other words. If you’re building a couple hundred sets anyway. Offer 150 sets for sale. Or whatever number.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Maybe it's a retail release or something like the PLD putters, but I'm betting these will be available.

PLD putters are also released/available through the accounts/reps. These irons may still come to retail, but those of us with PING accounts will know (if past PING history hold true and they handle it like they have any other release) prior to launch. As far as I know, PING requires the reps to have an on site visit with everyone account before the launch of a new product.

Logic would tell me that if these irons have to be made in certain numbered lots and not 1 and a time , then why not offer the leftover of the first run and see if they sell via Custom order ? Like the titleist 680 re- release. Rumor on that is they had to make so many sets anyway for pros playing them. So decided to offer limited numbers for sale.

In other words. If you’re building a couple hundred sets anyway. Offer 150 sets for sale. Or whatever number.

I still think these will make it to retail in one way shape or form. We just need to be patient which can be very hard to do on this site.

I still think these will make it to retail in one way shape or form. We just need to be patient which can be very hard to do on this site.

Yep. Let’s remember. The name iblade 2.0 is out there. And no sightings of a iblade badged iron either. So there’s things in the pot cooking for sure.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Ping experts, when was the last time you saw an iron receive this much publicity/use by pros, and it didn't come to market?

You want the truth? Nobody outside this thread are talking about them. A matter of fact, most don’t even know they exist. Those of us that are interested, probably account for .001% of the golf population.

Ping experts, when was the last time you saw an iron receive this much publicity/use by pros, and it didn't come to market?

You want the truth? Nobody outside this thread are talking about them. A matter of fact, most don’t even know they exist. Those of us that are interested, probably account for .001% of the golf population.

I can't say I disagree with you, much, but my question remains unanswered.

When was the last time Ping spent this much time and effort on an iron and didn't bring it to market? It's an honest question that would shed light on the entire situation. If occasionally they do this only to cancel it, cool. But I can't remember a single iron they've allowed pro's to use, only to shelve it.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

When was the last time Ping spent this much time and effort on an iron and didn't bring it to market? It's an honest question that would shed light on the entire situation. If occasionally they do this only to cancel it, cool. But I can't remember a single iron they've allowed pro's to use, only to shelve it.

You have a point, but here’s the difference... they aren’t playing coy about it. The answer is, “no”. THAT is what’s so unusual. I hope those of us that have heard it’s not happening are wrong, but I think this is a one off situation.

Coincidentally, and I’ve told this story before. My Dad worked with Jack Nicklaus for 25 years. Back in about 1992 or so, Jack had just left MacGregor. Jack almost signed with Ping to play...a forged blade. Those haven’t ever been released or even seen! Also, it shows how long Ping has been messing with this idea.

this iron will 100% come to market. It would be suicide for ping to not release it to market. The chances it comes to market with the Blueprint name? Pretty close to 0%. I'm not 100% sure this will be the iBlade 2.0, but it could be. I have a buddy that is pretty connected with Ping, but he won't tell me everything! He just said to be optimistic about the blueprint coming to retail under a different name

this iron will 100% come to market. It would be suicide for ping to not release it to market. The chances it comes to market with the Blueprint name? Pretty close to 0%. I'm not 100% sure this will be the iBlade 2.0, but it could be. I have a buddy that is pretty connected with Ping, but he won't tell me everything! He just said to be optimistic about the blueprint coming to retail under a different name

Now, that is what I like to hear:)

I like the looks of these as many do here, but to look at this from a business standpoint, aside from the 100 or so sets that may sell to members of forums like this, is it REALLY a sound business idea to make these available to the general public? I've had people at PING (I'm I'm the golf industry as a golf course GM) tell me that irons like the S-series/iBlades make up less than 2% of their own iron sales. I'd say these clubs would be a smaller subset of that.

As someone who sells PING, I just have to wonder how many sets of these the golfing public would actually buy. Of course I'd love to try them out and tinker with them, but I really don't see them selling that well overall. In the 15 years I've been at my current course, I've sold exactly one set of S-series/iBlades (outside of my own personal sets) to the public. I just have to wonder outside of gear heads like us (forum members), who is going to come in droves to PING for a club like this?

Maybe they are primarily designed for Tour players. If Tour players play better, that brings more name recognition to Ping as a whole. Ping hasn't even said when exactly they are coming to retail, so they realize they are in no rush to make them.

This comment is pretty spot on. I had the opportunity to speak with John Solheim about the club and he confirmed that the Blueprint is going to be a Tour oriented offering with very limited weighting options (like some of their other recent designs). They've designed the club with relatively heavy "Tour" weighting that falls into a small window that can only be adjusted by the hosel and toe weights to a small degree. In other words, if you like a D5, you're in luck. If not, oh well....

Sounds perfect !

Who doesn't like d5 and her heavier sisters????????

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Ping said the Blueprint is not coming to retail which may be true. Ping never said anything about releasing an iron that looks like the Blueprint under a different name though...

I posted it before and I’ll add on here. Two sources told me the same “ blueprint is the r and d name. Won’t be named that when it comes out “. Now of course that’s hearsay ... but others have heard same. Has the name been trademarked ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

You have a point, but here’s the difference... they aren’t playing coy about it. The answer is, “no”. THAT is what’s so unusual. I hope those of us that have heard it’s not happening are wrong, but I think this is a one off situation.

Coincidentally, and I’ve told this story before. My Dad worked with Jack Nicklaus for 25 years. Back in about 1992 or so, Jack had just left MacGregor. Jack almost signed with Ping to play...a forged blade. Those haven’t ever been released or even seen! Also, it shows how long Ping has been messing with this idea.

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

Heard from a very well connected UK source that the Blueprint irons are one of 3 potential releases with limited offset under consideration and player testing. The Blueprint models as played by Louis O. and Finau are the least likely of the 3 to be released for public consumption.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I just want 8-PW, time to email Mr Solheim

Tell him I said hello too!

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

Why wouldn't Ping do a limited "concept" release like Titleist?

Just seems un-pinglike. Ping has tended to aim for the practical, put in the hands of everyday golfers kinda things. Making sure LH options and custom fitting are available, etc. Making special series (which some ultimately just get collected to degree by their nature) just feels like, well, not Ping.

Just seems un-pinglike. Ping has tended to aim for the practical, put in the hands of everyday golfers kinda things. Making sure LH options and custom fitting are available, etc. Making special series (which some ultimately just get collected to degree by their nature) just feels like, well, not Ping.

There’s an active contingent of old gaurd ping , calling AZ now to ask that these irons not be released. That’s the funniest part. And pretty sad to boot.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

There's an active contingent of old gaurd ping , calling AZ now to ask that these irons not be released. That's the funniest part. And pretty sad to boot.

I wouldn't call myself old guard ping. At all. I'd actually like to see these released. More just an observation that if feels sort of like a special release by ping is just not who ping is.

The other question for ping is that even if they want to do a full release, are there manufacturing issues. My understanding with ping is unlike a lot of the other OEMs they own their own production facility in China? So if some other OEM wanted to release a blade they'd just get one the Chinese forging houses to do it. But ping would either have to build out their own facilities there, a much bigger outlay/risk since they don't do any other forged heads, or else make a compromise and outsource it. Ping just has some internal philosophical barriers to cross here. Totally easy to make a forged offering if you just outsource it all. The Chinese companies are experts in that. But is that ping? If you decide to just make a couple hundred with whatever process they have in AZ, is that ping? Its a private company that who they seems to matter to them.

There's an active contingent of old gaurd ping , calling AZ now to ask that these irons not be released. That's the funniest part. And pretty sad to boot.

I wouldn't call myself old guard ping. At all. I'd actually like to see these released. More just an observation that if feels sort of like a special release by ping is just not who ping is.

The other question for ping is that even if they want to do a full release, are there manufacturing issues. My understanding with ping is unlike a lot of the other OEMs they own their own production facility in China? So if some other OEM wanted to release a blade they'd just get one the Chinese forging houses to do it. But ping would either have to build out their own facilities there, a much bigger outlay/risk since they don't do any other forged heads, or else make a compromise and outsource it. Ping just has some internal philosophical barriers to cross here. Totally easy to make a forged offering if you just outsource it all. The Chinese companies are experts in that. But is that ping? If you decide to just make a couple hundred with whatever process they have in AZ, is that ping? Its a private company that who they seems to matter to them.

Yea. Even though I quoted your post I didn’t mean 100 % that you wished they didn’t make these. But some have bluntly said so and your post hinted at “ that’s not ping “ as if for some reason ping has to always mean offset and GI.

My point. Look how many ping staffers have put these in play now. Bubba , champ , Louie O. Pretty much the top 3 right off the bat. That tells us that a good number of better ping players have wished for a low offset smaller iron. Yes the I blade suites that , at least in the short irons. And I’m sure they bent offset out of the long irons for players at the tour level if they wanted. But it’s clear they like the flight or feel or something of the blueprint. So why not make this option for the better player ? Is it a fear of disproving the ping Moto that everyone can use help ( offset wide sole etc ) ? If so that’s cutting your nose off to spite your face. And it’s wrong thinking.

Ping can not only still be Ping with a small iron in play , but it can be a complete company serving every players wants.

Think on it this way. Are they going to pull these irons back from staffers if they want to keep them ? If not then how do you explain that ping staffers play irons that you can’t buy ? That’s not very ping like now is it ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

A few years ago, this board basically single-handedly got the Rory putter produced by Nike. You’d have to have hundreds or thousands of Blueprint fans ready to fork over a couple of grand for these it seems.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

A few years ago, this board basically single-handedly got the Rory putter produced by Nike. You’d have to have hundreds or thousands of Blueprint fans ready to fork over a couple of grand for these it seems.

Count me in for a set. I’ll order sight unseen like many others on here.

I would too. I feel like every golfer who was a junior in the early 90’s has a soft spot for Ping. I’ve just never played them myself because I want more of a player’s club. The iblade was a really big step in the player’s direction in my opinion. Keep that momentum going and I think you actually capture a pretty decent chunk of golf population. Remember, there are a lot of golfers out there who are not big into online forums and such.

Count me in for a set. I’ll order sight unseen like many others on here.

I would too. I feel like every golfer who was a junior in the early 90’s has a soft spot for Ping. I’ve just never played them myself because I want more of a player’s club. The iblade was a really big step in the player’s direction in my opinion. Keep that momentum going and I think you actually capture a pretty decent chunk of golf population. Remember, there are a lot of golfers out there who are not big into online forums and such.

Great first post! Hope to see you around here more often!