Have Europeans overtaken Americans in passion for golf?

2»

Comments

• 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,975 ✭✭
    Asian market is thriving.
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • nichhonichho Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭
    Lamb wrote:

NEVER! Honestly no one cares about golf in the UK. Its 10x worse in the rest of Europe!! America is the home and passion of golf! You guys don't even realise how lucky it is to be a golfer in USA. It is no coincidence the golfchannel only lasted a few years in the UK.

Thats it, the debate is over we have had the definitive answer.

Alternatively we could all open the link to the KPMG assessment that Bingo provided a come to a balanced conclusion.
    Callaway BB Alpha DBD 815 Speeder
    Srixon Z H65 2h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z H65 3h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z765 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 125
    Japanese Tour Forged AW
    Japanese Tour Forged SW
    Mizuno T105
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,493 ClubWRX
    Ask Rory about this as he just quit their tour!! I would say more golf tournament fans in the U.S. actually play the game versus Euro.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • HaleboppHalebopp Members Posts: 2,806 ✭✭
    platgof wrote:
    Ask Rory about this as he just quit their tour!! I would say more golf tournament fans in the U.S. actually play the game versus Euro.

Are you talking about absolute numbers or percentages? I agree with the former due to the sheer numbers of spectators in the U.S. but seriously doubt the latter.

Do you have a link to the news Rory quit ET? I tried to google it but came up with nothing outside of the false headlines from November.
    Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    ST180, 8.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,312 ✭✭
    I'm not quite sure how you measure passion.
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
    edited Jan 11, 2019 7:21pm #37
    Now if you asked who the more knowledgeable fans are, then Europe might take it.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
    Golf magazine mentioned the Asian market, as it is really growing, building a lot of golf courses.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Members Posts: 2,511 ✭✭
    It really depends if you conflating passion with golf course construction.

Golf in Asia is booming, driven mostly by North Asian demand for resort/holiday courses. These are spill over from densely populated cities, and a growing affluent middle class who see golf as an elite sport which denotes social status. Golf courses near major conurbations are priced for the demand - the only public course I can play at a weekend in Hong Kong is about 150USD, and Singapore would cost about the same. To play privately would cost upwards of USD500 in Hong Kong. Most golfers cross the border to China and Malaysia/Indonesia respectively. Koreans and Japanese will fly in for long weekends, especially during the winter months. Vietnam is booming as a golf destination, with some good new courses opening up, and there continues to be building around Malaysia, and of course Thailand. Most of the kids I see playing here are middle class, with a heavy amount of parental support. A far cry from when I grew up and was dropped off at the club with a bag of mismatched second hand clubs I had saved up for (I had 2 7 irons at one point) and was left to wander about a half empty course during school holidays.

I still think that Europe and the US are far better for accessibility for working class golfers (to be honest, the concept does not exist in the parts of Asia that I have been to), although from what I read about public courses in the US, I think I would not bother playing. I would certainly argue anecdotally that Europeans are better students of the game and it's etiquette.

Of course, you are all free to read the KPMG articles, or contact them directly, as they do a lot of research into industry trends.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • LanglandsLanglands ScotlandMembers Posts: 1,941 ✭✭
    Lamb wrote:

NEVER! Honestly no one cares about golf in the UK. Its 10x worse in the rest of Europe!! America is the home and passion of golf! You guys don't even realise how lucky it is to be a golfer in USA. It is no coincidence the golfchannel only lasted a few years in the UK.

It's a miracle the Golf Channel lasted as long as it did in the UK, given that it never actually broadcast any golf (unless you count old re-runs of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf).
    Callaway XR 10.5
    Adams Tight Lies 2 5W
    Callaway 3h
    Snake Eyes 600B 4,6,8
    Vokey 48
    Mizuno MPT Raw Haze 53
    Cobra King Black 60
    Ping Darby
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Members Posts: 2,511 ✭✭
    Langlands wrote:

Lamb wrote:

It's a miracle the Golf Channel lasted as long as it did in the UK, given that it never actually broadcast any golf (unless you count old re-runs of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf).

They also showed the Big Break, usually totally out of order.

Sky Golf coverage is far better than anything the Merkins can produce though, even when they are hobbled by taking a US feed.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 874 ✭✭
    If you look at the PGA Tour, much of it is wide fairways and point and shoot golf. In Europe there’s a much wider range of course types with links, parkland, heathland etc.

And to suggest that Scotland isn’t the most golf-mad country is wrong, even given the huge numbers in the Far East these days, it’s part of their culture.
    Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Stiff Ping Tour 65
    TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver 13.5 Regular Diamana F Ltd
    Titleist 818 H1 18 and 23 Hybrids Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW Regular Alta (#4 at power spec loft)
    Ping G410 SW Regular Alta
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X and 64 S
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 2017
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #2 2019
    Bettinardi BB39
    Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line
    Odyssey Exo 7s
    Cleveland Huntington Beach #10
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,300 ✭✭
    2putttom wrote:

Asian market is thriving.

platgof wrote:

Golf magazine mentioned the Asian market, as it is really growing, building a lot of golf courses.

One of the fastest growing national scenes for Asian golf is South Korea. One note: More than half the SK golfer play simulator rather than outdoor golf. https://www.sportsbu...ology/Golf.aspx

Here in USA, the arrival of Topgolf and its competitors Game Golf and Drive Shack are disrupting the status quo. Topgolf combines golf with a night club and game atmosphere - your foursome can compete at night in Big Break type contests while sipping and snacking. Or, competition golfers can fine-tune their iron shots over lunch hour.

https://www.bizjourn...ld-topgolf.html. Of course, a latté-shop commando complained with a letter to the editor, because TG marred the pleasant landscape of the area.

For several years, a local off-course golf shop has been providing simulator golf course rounds and running simulator leagues at night. The owners have more prospective players than they can handle - especially during snowy weather. Other simulator sites have also popped up around the area.

And, kudos to Bingo1976 for timely play-by-play on the current Asian market.
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • scruffynickscruffynick Members Posts: 1,492 ✭✭
    Lamb wrote:

Oh dear.... Never been to the UK then??? Golf channel didn't last because the main focus sport for arm chair supporters is football.... But when the majors are on, its a different story.