G400 driver replacement in January

herbygolf21

Ping should of stuck with 2 models. The max and LST. Having a regular and adding the max is a little confusing, especially with the timing of the release. And it doesn’t help that the max was a huge hit and overshadowed the regular G400. Maybe that’s why they are going with the 410 plus model (although I’ve read they plan on doing a max head later in the year).

And before anyone points out that the regular and max are 2 different heads, the max does everything the regular head does and better. If you wanted the smaller head you’re probably going with the LST head so the regular model fits in this no man’s land. At least that’s my take from testing the heads and what I’ve read on here about peoples preference.

I went thru a fitting and expected the lst to win out or the max but after testing the 3 heads with different lofts abd several shafts the regular g400 head gave the best numbers.

Imo ping having the various heads is a good thing. It offers something of every flavor for everyone and more options to get consumer dialed in on your product doesn’t hurt the brand.

While I wish they would release all the heads at the same time knowing they won’t release a specific version until it proves itself is something that’s missing from most brands that have yearly release and in many cases aren’t putting out anything that’s significantly better than the previous model

I based my assessment on my own testing of 3 heads and what I’ve read here. But appearently ping knew what they were doing lol

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ping should of stuck with 2 models. The max and LST. Having a regular and adding the max is a little confusing, especially with the timing of the release. And it doesn’t help that the max was a huge hit and overshadowed the regular G400. Maybe that’s why they are going with the 410 plus model (although I’ve read they plan on doing a max head later in the year).

And before anyone points out that the regular and max are 2 different heads, the max does everything the regular head does and better. If you wanted the smaller head you’re probably going with the LST head so the regular model fits in this no man’s land. At least that’s my take from testing the heads and what I’ve read on here about peoples preference.

I went thru a fitting and expected the lst to win out or the max but after testing the 3 heads with different lofts abd several shafts the regular g400 head gave the best numbers.

Imo ping having the various heads is a good thing. It offers something of every flavor for everyone and more options to get consumer dialed in on your product doesn’t hurt the brand.

While I wish they would release all the heads at the same time knowing they won’t release a specific version until it proves itself is something that’s missing from most brands that have yearly release and in many cases aren’t putting out anything that’s significantly better than the previous model

I based my assessment on my own testing of 3 heads and what I’ve read here. But appearently ping knew what they were doing lol

I agree a lot who were looking at the 445 head would gravitate to the lst in the chase for the low spin and distance and those looking for the performance and forgiveness would go max. For some the lower spin isn’t a good thing and being able to keep the 445 head and get the right mix of numbers is needed by others. Also according to the guys from ping that were part of the traveling crew this year doing fittings around the country told me that in pings testing the max was about 2-3 mph slower on ball speed compared to the lst and regular g400. So it helps to have the extra options. Ping has done a great job improving each line since they first launched the sft and lst version.

Am I the only one concerned about whether this is Ping's jump the shark moment?

:rolleyes:

Ping burned me with the release of the G400 Max right after I bought the G400. They say the G400 Max will stay current, but now that the PXG 0811XF is the highest MOI driver on the market (and at a competitive price) they will have to move up the G410 Max release which will be a maxed out MOI driver with no weight track. I'm just guessing here but since I'm not buying a Ping driver for a few years, I won't have to worry about their new erratic release cycles.

As Matchavez said in post 837, sometimes buying silicone implants is better because you only need to change them every 10 years. Otherwise, golf companies will shoot 2-4 drivers every year

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

That's definitely a slide.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

No, three weight positions.

Crossover looks really good this time around. In fact whole line looks really good.

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: Provisionally PXG 0311 Gen 6 at 15.75 Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S
Hybrid: PXG 0311 Gen6 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8S
Hybrid: PXG 0311 Gen6 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Ping S159 50 S, 54 H, 60 T
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

Ping should of stuck with 2 models. The max and LST. Having a regular and adding the max is a little confusing, especially with the timing of the release. And it doesnt help that the max was a huge hit and overshadowed the regular G400. Maybe thats why they are going with the 410 plus model (although Ive read they plan on doing a max head later in the year).

And before anyone points out that the regular and max are 2 different heads, the max does everything the regular head does and better. If you wanted the smaller head youre probably going with the LST head so the regular model fits in this no mans land. At least thats my take from testing the heads and what Ive read on here about peoples preference.

I can't agree with this at all. There are valid reasons why the multiple lines worked. The max did not have the sound, feel, or looks that the regular 400 had. There was a market for each of the heads.

I’m going to disagree here. Whenever I walk into a golf store there are very little Max heads on the racks and several regular G400’s just sitting there. This speaks volumes as the Max isn’t even on sale and the regular head has been discounted already.

Also do a quick search on eBay and there are hardly any used Max heads being sold but many regular heads.

I can't agree with this at all. There are valid reasons why the multiple lines worked. The max did not have the sound, feel, or looks that the regular 400 had. There was a market for each of the heads.

I’m going to disagree here. Whenever I walk into a golf store there are very little Max heads on the racks and several regular G400’s just sitting there. This speaks volumes as the Max isn’t even on sale and the regular head has been discounted already.

Also do a quick search on eBay and there are hardly any used Max heads being sold but many regular heads.

That could mean there isn't as much of a demand for the max heads as there is the regular. I have a friend who manages a store locally and he said the G400 has been his best selling driver since it came out.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

G400s were one of our best sellers last yr. Looking forward to demoing this new bad boy! ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

This Ping G410 will be the best selling driver this year, my prediction! If you have a 400 Max you should be good ;) if you have the G400, trade up for this bad boy! The entire line is incredible! and yes a LST in the fairway, that it going to be amazin! Heard it through the grapevine of course.

I don't like the look of the top of the 410; but if I can get a few extra yards I'll buy it. Because, at my age, I need every singe extra yard I can get!

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

That could be based on how the store stocks heads vice demand. Ping isn’t releasing a max replacement yet where as the other lines have a replacment coming plus the max came out later in the g400 cycle so why discount the current one

Am I the only one concerned about whether this is Ping's jump the shark moment?

:rolleyes:

Ping burned me with the release of the G400 Max right after I bought the G400. They say the G400 Max will stay current, but now that the PXG 0811XF is the highest MOI driver on the market (and at a competitive price) they will have to move up the G410 Max release which will be a maxed out MOI driver with no weight track. I'm just guessing here but since I'm not buying a Ping driver for a few years, I won't have to worry about their new erratic release cycles.

Is this true? "PXG has the highest MOI driver on the market"? Higher that the 400 MAX? If so I have learned something today. I didn't realize there was a higher MOI driver than the 400 MAX. Those in the know please comment.

PXG stuff... look, it's premium, and everyone who has it is clearly a little better in the personal finances. But for me, I find it funny that in every long Ping thread, people have to jump in and try to justify their luxury brand purchase with the concept that it's somehow also technically an equivalent. Just go have your PXG threads in those threads. If you want to stray from the topics there, I suggest trophy hunting or silicone implants.

Ping G410 MSRP = $500

TM M5 MSRP = $549.99

Callaway Epic Flash MSRP = $529.99

Titleist TS2/TS3 = $500

PXG Gen 2 811X and XF = $575

I cant tell if the turbulators in the back are symmetrical? If not, that would freak my delicate senses out! I have the G and have been extremely happy with it! By far the easiest driver for me to achieve consistent #'s and play ability. I am kinda looking forward to the the price drop on the 400's. I do like the somewhat smaller head, and I love the dragonfly pattern on top.

I went through a Ping driver fitting 2 days ago and after hitting the G400 LST my initial reaction was, "Why the f**k did I wait this long to try this club? I feel like an idiot." Just feels and sounds amazing and I could work the ball just as well as with my TM driver. I did not end up buying it because I saw this and wanted to wait to see how the 410 will be. I can't imagine it being so great that I'll fork out an extra $200 to buy it (G400 is $299.99 new at my local store)... but who knows. The only thing I know at this point is that Ping has surprised me for the second time in about 6 months.

I went through a Ping driver fitting 2 days ago and after hitting the G400 LST my initial reaction was, "Why the f**k did I wait this long to try this club? I feel like an idiot." Just feels and sounds amazing and I could work the ball just as well as with my TM driver. I did not end up buying it because I saw this and wanted to wait to see how the 410 will be. I can't imagine it being so great that I'll fork out an extra $200 to buy it (G400 is $299.99 new at my local store)... but who knows. The only thing I know at this point is that Ping has surprised me for the second time in about 6 months.

I almost pulled the trigger on a $329 LST with the Tour shaft to hold me over until the new LST comes out.

Will the crown have the same "dragonfly" "technology" ?

Dragonfly is gone from the crown and replaced with what looks like more turbolators towards the rear of the crown..

I think the dragonfly is still there, but it's inside the crown.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Red 6s

G430 LST 3 wood Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood Ventus TR Red 8s 

Callaway Apex Pro 3 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0311 XP 5 PX LZ 6.5

0311 P 6 P LZ 6.5

0317 T  7-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  52, 56

PM Grind 60

Lab Link 1 

I cant tell if the turbulators in the back are symmetrical? If not, that would freak my delicate senses out! I have the G and have been extremely happy with it! By far the easiest driver for me to achieve consistent #'s and play ability. I am kinda looking forward to the the price drop on the 400's. I do like the somewhat smaller head, and I love the dragonfly pattern on top.

I have to agree with you. I currently game the G and I was contemplating switching to the G400 last year. I bench-marked the G against the G400 and frankly to me there was no discernible improvement. That bench-marking exercise quickly ended my lust for the G400.

G400s were one of our best sellers last yr. Looking forward to demoing this new bad boy! ;)

We sold a crap ton of G400s and MAX drivers. And it wasn't even close to any other OEM.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

No, three weight positions.

Crossover looks really good this time around. In fact whole line looks really good.

It’s a slide but you can only slide and tighten the weight to one of three positions.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

I’m with you here. By all accounts the max should have been perfect but I played some of my worst golf with it off the tee. Standard 400 model has been quite possibly the best driver ever for me. I can’t imagine the 410 being better and I will not be getting rid of my 400 unless something drastic comes about

I’m with you here. By all accounts the max should have been perfect but I played some of my worst golf with it off the tee. Standard 400 model has been quite possibly the best driver ever for me. I can’t imagine the 410 being better and I will not be getting rid of my 400 unless something drastic comes about

I’m with you I doubt the new stuff beats the g400 by what I would consider enough to switch. I don’t really go for the 2-3 yard gain anymore and even 5-6 isn’t much other than it looks good on a monitor reading. Seeing some of the results from others in the threads on the new stuff I’m definitely intrigued

My guess is the weight system is similar to the Cobra Fly-Z Plus.

Did you look at the pics?

I did. The Fly-Z+ flips and snaps vertically. I'm guessing this is similar and does it horizontally.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

Just found this. Another pic of the driver, but a new pic of the hybrid.