2019 Sony Open

Darth Putter

I feel for Spieth, not long ago he was challenging for majors, now’s he’s challenging just to make cuts and not yip short putts. Everyone use to talk about Spieth’s so called strong mental game, but this just goes to show how central sound technique is to results and how quickly poor technique will stripe anyway benefits the mental game offers.

Spieth candidly mentioned how mentally he was in a bad place last year, perhaps it’s time he invests in getting a new mental / swing coach before it’s too late.

Spieth has poor putting technique? Really?

His swing definitely has suspect technique - the incredibly weak grip and tilting motion for starters. Many very good players have had unconventional swings it can be done that way, Spieth's achievements prove that.

Top players, coaches etc. constantly emphasis how important fundamentals are and how to grip the club is the first thing every golfer learns so poor grip technique especially in the modern era among top players really surprises me.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for Spieth, not long ago he was challenging for majors, now’s he’s challenging just to make cuts and not yip short putts. Everyone use to talk about Spieth’s so called strong mental game, but this just goes to show how central sound technique is to results and how quickly poor technique will stripe anyway benefits the mental game offers.

Spieth candidly mentioned how mentally he was in a bad place last year, perhaps it’s time he invests in getting a new mental / swing coach before it’s too late.

His swing definitely has suspect technique - the incredibly weak grip and tilting motion for starters. Many very good players have had unconventional swings it can be done that way, Spieth's achievements prove that.

Top players, coaches etc. constantly emphasis how important fundamentals are and how to grip the club is the first thing every golfer learns so poor grip technique especially in the modern era among top players really surprises me.

His grip and swing is the same since he was 12. Weak grip requires a hard rotation which he does or active hands which Phil has for example. Rorys grip is very strong, not Zach Johnson strong but still strong. Tiger was more neutral for a while.Different strokes for different folks. At impact hes elite. His ballstriking stats are elite. His mind is elite. Lets see how the season plays out.Missing the cut at the sony i dont think has him concerned

His grip and swing is the same since he was 12. Weak grip requires a hard rotation which he does or active hands which Phil has for example. Rorys grip is very strong, not Zach Johnson strong but still strong. Tiger was more neutral for a while.Different strokes for different folks. At impact hes elite. His ballstriking stats are elite. His mind is elite. Lets see how the season plays out.Missing the cut at the sony i dont think has him concerned

FWIW Ben Hogan also had a weak grip...it enabled him to swing hard with his right without fear of going left..

...he was also a weak putter but I think he had an OK career..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

I'm all for a well rounded life but when you hear Jordan has barely even played and has no feel for his swing it just shows you where he's at. Lots of success early on and now he's enjoying his life and golf is in the backseat. He fell into this even earlier than Rory but basically the same story. Both super talents who had early success but put that aside to enjoy the finer things in life. Nothing wrong with that, it is what it is.

My hope was out of the young really talented players that Spieth would not do this, but he went from playing in everything to cutting way back the last year or so.

In general I find it funny that Tour players complain that they don't have a long enough off season, but half of them show up to early events claiming they haven't been playing for a month or two. Then when they play a few events, they complain that it's too strenuous. Meanwhile, a 45+ like Mickelson, who has made hundreds of millions, is out grinding away harder than these guys who are 25.

Even though the new schedule this year will condense the intensity of the events and give a longer "off season", guys will complain about it.

I'm all for a well rounded life but when you hear Jordan has barely even played and has no feel for his swing it just shows you where he's at. Lots of success early on and now he's enjoying his life and golf is in the backseat. He fell into this even earlier than Rory but basically the same story. Both super talents who had early success but put that aside to enjoy the finer things in life. Nothing wrong with that, it is what it is.

My hope was out of the young really talented players that Spieth would not do this, but he went from playing in everything to cutting way back the last year or so.

In general I find it funny that Tour players complain that they don't have a long enough off season, but half of them show up to early events claiming they haven't been playing for a month or two. Then when they play a few events, they complain that it's too strenuous. Meanwhile, a 45+ like Mickelson, who has made hundreds of millions, is out grinding away harder than these guys who are 25.

Even though the new schedule this year will condense the intensity of the events and give a longer "off season", guys will complain about it.

At least moving The Players to March reduces the Zika threat.

It was nice to see Steve Stricker birdie 9 and eagle 18 to shoot 31 the back and make the cut on the number. VJ and Langer may get more headlines, but Stricker is still the most competitive Sr when it comes to the regular tour.

Love Stricker, but he is also almost 10 years younger than Langer!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Spieth events per year on PGA Tour, including Hero. I do know he didn’t go to the Australian Open last year like he has in the past, not sure about any others.

2018: 24 (planned on 25 but missed TC)

2017: 24

2016: 22

Hank Haney might be on to something with the yips comment. Spieth just had a 6ft putt (2nd round replay) and he did his normal forward press to get the stroke going, and then paused, brought the club back to address, and did the forward press again and made his stroke. I don’t know if that’s the yips or what, but it looked ugly.

Spieth events per year on PGA Tour, including Hero. I do know he didn't go to the Australian Open last year like he has in the past, not sure about any others.

For some reason I thought last year he cut back; I stand corrected. Though the PGA Tour website says from 2014 to 2018 he went 27, 25, 21, 23, 23.

So now Jordan allegedly has the"yips". Seriously? Every great player goes through periods when their putting sucks. Rory is not scaring anyone with the putter, Tiger not long ago looked lost on the greens, Phil runs hot and cold, and I don't think Adam Scott has ever fully recovered his stroke. There have been days where DJ couldn't putt it in the ocean from the beach. The list goes on and on......

But let's assume the worst.....say he follows Smylie right down the drain. He already has had a career anyone would kill for, has more money than he can spend, and has a great support group around him. Let's give him a break.

You are comparing a Tiger who was out of the game for a long time and an old Phil with a player who is supposed to be in his prime years of golf ? lol

Hank Haney might be on to something with the yips comment. Spieth just had a 6ft putt (2nd round replay) and he did his normal forward press to get the stroke going, and then paused, brought the club back to address, and did the forward press again and made his stroke. I don't know if that's the yips or what, but it looked ugly.

It's the yips.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Spieth events per year on PGA Tour, including Hero. I do know he didn't go to the Australian Open last year like he has in the past, not sure about any others.

For some reason I thought last year he cut back; I stand corrected. Though the PGA Tour website says from 2014 to 2018 he went 27, 25, 21, 23, 23.

The Hero isn’t an official PGA event.

Watching Spieth play golf gives me mild anxiety. I used to think maybe his being constantly on edge helped his play. Now that his results haven't been good, I obviously think he should try the opposite approach. He needs to stop giving an F and just play.

He's getting in his own way at this point. Hopefully he's seeing a sports psychologist.

Phil is an example of someone who is highly analytical but largely remains very self confident and optomistic during rounds. You don't see him hurting himself with negative analysis. You don't see him pouting. Spieth would do well to emulate his attitude.

Tom Watson, is that you criticizing Jordan's grip again?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

FWIW Ben Hogan also had a weak grip...it enabled him to swing hard with his right without fear of going left..

...he was also a weak putter but I think he had an OK career..

Ben Hogan was a superb putter when he was winning in the early 1950's. Later he had trouble with his left eye, which was injured in the accident. His later troubles with the putter gave him the reputation as a weak putter; but no so in the early '50's.

You don't win 3 majors in one year with just great ball striking.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

While putting from just off the green, Bryson just rattled one off the pin. It would have gone down had the pin been out.

You don't see these back to back posts of yours contradictory?

Putnam’s caddie tends the pin on a long putt. Long putts are helped the most by leaving the pin in.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

While putting from just off the green, Bryson just rattled one off the pin. It would have gone down had the pin been out.

You don't see these back to back posts of yours contradictory?

Putnam's caddie tends the pin on a long putt. Long putts are helped the most by leaving the pin in.

Yes, they are supposed to be. The former is just a stating what I saw. The latter is what I would be doing if I was a player. Sometimes the pin is going to keep a ball out of the hole, but more often it's going to help hole a putt that wouldn't have gone in.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Tom Watson, is that you criticizing Jordan's grip again?

There is no denying it works for him, I said his achievements prove that, but nobody can make a case that its good technique.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

It was nice to see Steve Stricker birdie 9 and eagle 18 to shoot 31 the back and make the cut on the number. VJ and Langer may get more headlines, but Stricker is still the most competitive Sr when it comes to the regular tour.

Davis Love III is the low senior at -5.

Excellent round, according to GolfChannel he's playing the tournament in Singapore next week as it doubles as a qualifier for The Open. It also reported he's aiming to play a full schedule on the PGA Tour this year.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I did say putting technique not swing technique. Spieth was arguably the best putter for 3 years.

Everyone knows his full swing technique is unconventional. He has been quite inconsistent with his driving since 2017.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]