GC asks "Is Jordan Spieth done?"

Jordan Speeth

Trouble, trouble, right here in River City! It starts with 'i' and rhymes with 'y' and that stands for YIPS!. Seriously, the 'i' in this whole argument is ignorance, something's definitely wrong and that comment about not being comfortable over the ball is straight from the horses mouth, people.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea but for the last 6 holes yesterday trying to make the cut he came a total of 4 inches from playing them -5... it’s still in there and the stroke was perfect on the back 9.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Yea but for the last 6 holes yesterday trying to make the cut he came a total of 4 inches from playing them -5... it's still in there and the stroke was perfect on the back 9.

I believe he'll ultimately get it together and win more big tournaments.

But in the last 6 holes yesterday he was 2 under and missed the cut (facts). A lot of golfing history would be different if only for a few inches and three shots difference...

Trouble, trouble, right here in River City! It starts with 'i' and rhymes with 'y' and that stands for YIPS!. Seriously, the 'i' in this whole argument is ignorance, something's definitely wrong and that comment about not being comfortable over the ball is straight from the horses mouth, people.

He didn't say over his putts and listening to him sounded like he was talking in general.

Anyway, he's rusty - somebody pick up the sky and put it back.

Hank Haney has said that Jordan has the yips. An "unidentified" tour player said the same thing.

If that is the case, I think that you can make an argument that Jordan is done. For some reason I don't see him going to the broomstick or the claw.

If you look at most of the players who have won multiple majors, they tend to do it over 4 or 5 years. Seve, basically from 1979 to 1984, with one more in 1988. Tom Watson basically from '77 to '83.

Rory is probably done, since he did it from 2011 to 2014, and nothing since. Arnold Palmer, 1958 - 1964.

Only Jack and Tiger have been able to stay dominant for longer periods of time.

As another poster said, this is a very important year for Jordan Spieth.

Going through a bout of the yups does not mean you are "done."

I do believe he will struggle with them for the rest of his career, but if he is smart, he can overcome them and win again. Langer did it. DiMarco did it.

You just have to care more about curing the yips with a completely new set up and stroke then you do about looking "normal."

Some guys literally cannot do that. It seems that people are in one of two camps: "I will do whatever I have to do to play better, regardless of how it looks," and then the guys who say to themselves "that looks stupid…" and would never try something truly different.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Yea but for the last 6 holes yesterday trying to make the cut he came a total of 4 inches from playing them -5... it's still in there and the stroke was perfect on the back 9.

But in the last 6 holes yesterday he was 2 under and missed the cut (facts). A lot of golfing history would be different if only for a few inches and three shots difference...

I never disputed that. But fact is he was 4 inches from being 5 under on last 6 holes. So let’s not act as if it were as bad as most are saying. Point was clear, he hit a lot of clutch shots to get a Chance to be 5 under in last 6. and point is that he is showing good progress.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The 3 foot putt stat is meaningless. If you miss two or three three foot putts then your ranking goes down dramatically and only costs you 2 or 3 shots all season.

I posted this breakdowns earlier. The missed inside 3 feet putts cost him 9 shots in 2018. But the bigger thing was the 20 putts he missed from 15-20ft in 2018 compared to 2015.

My post...

"Ya, the putting inside 3ft is important because it must sap confidence when those gimmees arent automatic.

If you dig down, and in fairness to JS, even at being ranked 181st on tour from inside 3ft

JS still made 98.79% of those putts.

He made 727 out of 736. So he missed 9 putts over the course of the whole season. It's important but who can say how important. There were 7 guys who made 100% of putts inside 3ft and I don't think any of them won last year either. But if you look at Rory and even TW, both only missed one single putt from inside 3ft so it means something.

The thing that hurts him most is the long range putting slide.

2015 putting:

15-20ft, 2nd

20-25ft, 1st

2016 putting:

15-20ft, 3rd

20-25ft, 3rd

2017 putting:

15-20ft, 34th

20-25ft, 3rd

2018 putting:

15-20ft, 183rd

20-25ft, 169th

In 2015, JS, had 147 putts from 15-20ft. He made 41. That's about 28%

In 2018, he had 154 putts from 15-20ft. He made 21. That's about 14%

And anecdotally, in that awesome 2015 season, it seemed every time he need a big long range putt, he made it."

Exactly ^. Worries me about him because he's already left hand low. So hands already technically locked out.

If I were him I'd study my stroke circa 2015. I believe he's narrower stance and slower tempo now. His tempo was really fast going back early. Back stroke and forward stroke for him used to be almost 1 to 1. Which is unheard of. And I bet that rythm would help or eliminate the flinch.

This kids tough as woodpecker lips though. He will find a way. Just watch.

I agree that he's going to sort it out eventually, and as much as people like to hate on Haney and his willingness to sell just about any product, I kind of think a no-nonsense Texas guy like Haney might be the less technical recipe that Spieth needs to get back on track.

To your points, I'm not sure 2015 is the answer - he was not particularly great on short putts even then, and if you'll recall he was doing the whole look-at-the-hole/don't-look-at-the-hole thing which was a major red flag. His absolutely incredible mid-range putting that year hid the problem. And on his left hand low stroke, if he's got a yip in his right hand, then being left hand low won't help. He's got to do something to get that right hand off the grip, if that's the problem that needs solving.

If he really does have the yips, he should try the method that Bernhard Langer used in winning the Masters - take the right hand and use it to grip the top of the putter against the left forearm.

Or he could use Langer's current method of anchoring against his chest. It's working quite well.

I think there’s zero chance he doesn’t get it back together. He basically said that he was playing his way into shape and yesterday certainly showed progress despite those who are seeing twitches and acting like he shot 86 instead of 66.

That being said, if I were him, I’d sell Hunter Mahan’s house.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I think there’s zero chance he doesn’t get it back together. He basically said that he was playing his way into shape and yesterday certainly showed progress despite those who are seeing twitches and acting like he shot 86 instead of 66.

Why?

Why?

Rory sold his house in November (at a $1.5 million loss), let's see if that works.

Jordan could sell it one of those PGA bigwigs when they move their HQ to Frisco.

Oh man. Soooo true. I don’t know how a guy with that much $ lives I n someone else’s house anyway. I mean. Maybe for s year while they built mine. But not after that.

Why?

Bad juju. Mahan fell off the planet. And is maybe working back since buying that house. Maybe cursed.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The 3 foot putt stat is meaningless. If you miss two or three three foot putts then your ranking goes down dramatically and only costs you 2 or 3 shots all season.

I posted this breakdowns earlier. The missed inside 3 feet putts cost him 9 shots in 2018. But the bigger thing was the 20 putts he missed from 15-20ft in 2018 compared to 2015.

My post...

"Ya, the putting inside 3ft is important because it must sap confidence when those gimmees arent automatic.

If you dig down, and in fairness to JS, even at being ranked 181st on tour from inside 3ft

He made 727 out of 736. So he missed 9 putts over the course of the whole season. It's important but who can say how important. There were 7 guys who made 100% of putts inside 3ft and I don't think any of them won last year either. But if you look at Rory and even TW, both only missed one single putt from inside 3ft so it means something.

2015 putting:

15-20ft, 2nd

20-25ft, 1st

2016 putting:

15-20ft, 3rd

20-25ft, 3rd

2017 putting:

15-20ft, 34th

20-25ft, 3rd

2018 putting:

15-20ft, 183rd

20-25ft, 169th

And anecdotally, in that awesome 2015 season, it seemed every time he need a big long range putt, he made it."

It is hard to explain to people who have never had the yips how much pressure it puts on every other part of your game, especially shots inside 100. You feel like you have to hit everything inside two feet.

It's not fun. LOL.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

He didn't say over his putts and listening to him sounded like he was talking in general.

Anyway, he's rusty - somebody pick up the sky and put it back.

And the guys on Golf central were commenting about ball striking right after they showed that comment and were saying last year ball striking was up and putting was off and this week it was opposite.

I'm certainly not saying he's done... But... Two missed cuts and a t55 is not a good way for a "great" player to start his season.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

All I know is, he needs to stop begging and pleading on the course. He comes off as such a whiny baby.

Lol. Only to those who don’t understand self talk. Whiny babies don’t have the resume he has. Literally a comment I don’t understand. Most folks internalize what he says externally. So we don’t hear it. Does that make him wrong ? lol. No. Just different. But we’ve already established that he’s different. And most are jealous of that fact.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My post...

2015 putting:

15-20ft, 2nd

20-25ft, 1st

2016 putting:

15-20ft, 3rd

20-25ft, 3rd

2017 putting:

15-20ft, 34th

20-25ft, 3rd

2018 putting:

15-20ft, 183rd

20-25ft, 169th

It is hard to explain to people who have never had the yips how much pressure it puts on every other part of your game, especially shots inside 100. You feel like you have to hit everything inside two feet.

It's not fun. LOL.

Bingo. And I’ll add. You get to where you don’t even want to practice putting. Just grind away on wedge and approach game so you can hit it closer. But then you start missing those 3-4 footers. So it still doesn’t help.

I believe I’ve always had them with putter. It’s not always of course. Plenty of days I can get very hot with putter. Then it will happen. A flinch and I’ll miss the hole from 4 ft and run one 4 ft by. Then miss that one coming back. And suddenly I can’t take it back without a flinch , or have what I call stone hands and no distance control. Sometimes lasting for a week or more. Then. One day I wake up and poof. No problem. My case is minor mind you.

But yes. To your point. It makes you Uber aggressive with approach shots. You are standing in the fairway from 80 yards and literally thinking “ I need this stone dead or else I’ll make bogey “. Or my favorite you hit a wedge at a tucked pin and you see it leaking , and you beg it to “miss the green “ because you feel better trying to chip in than putt a 20 footer. That’s not a joke. I’ve done that a lot. It’s no fun.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Crying about the way the ball came out of the rough? And that the wind picked up during the balls flight is self talk? No, it’s totally weak and annoying to watch. I couldn’t care less about his “resume.” I played minor league baseball before succumbing to injuries. That’s the first thing we learned. Act like a professional. That’s why you don’t hear it from most players. Because they act like pros.

I never disputed that. But fact is he was 4 inches from being 5 under on last 6 holes. So let's not act as if it were as bad as most are saying. Point was clear, he hit a lot of clutch shots to get a Chance to be 5 under in last 6. and point is that he is showing good progress.

I'm not sure what to say. Unfortunately, his last three results are T55, MC, and MC.

IF we only consider his good shots, then yes, he will look good.

I'm neither a fan nor a hater of Spieth (see previous posts here). I think he'll get it together, and winning another major (even this year) only requires that things click for a week. But for 36 holes taken as a whole, I'm not sure what all the optimism is for.

Crying about the way the ball came out of the rough? And that the wind picked up during the balls flight is self talk? No, it’s totally weak and annoying to watch. I couldn’t care less about his “resume.” I played minor league baseball before succumbing to injuries. That’s the first thing we learned. Act like a professional. That’s why you don’t hear it from most players. Because they act like pros.

Lol. Act like pros. How does a pro act ? Cuss fights with himself ? Club breaking ? Thats a made up description in YOUR head.

He’s a pro by any definition of the word. Therefore he’s always acting like one. Pretty hard to dispute that a guy who shares more stats with tiger and jack than anybody ,except maybe Rory , isn’t a pro.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I never disputed that. But fact is he was 4 inches from being 5 under on last 6 holes. So let's not act as if it were as bad as most are saying. Point was clear, he hit a lot of clutch shots to get a Chance to be 5 under in last 6. and point is that he is showing good progress.

I'm not sure what to say. Unfortunately, his last three results are T55, MC, and MC.

IF we only consider his good shots, then yes, he will look good.

I'm neither a fan nor a hater of Spieth (see previous posts here). I think he'll get it together, and winning another major (even this year) only requires that things click for a week. But for 36 holes taken as a whole, I'm not sure what all the optimism is for.

Don’t disagree short term. But I also don’t know how that garners so much pessimism either.?

My point in those last 6 holes was that it shown that the extra gear when it mattered was still there for him to access. Can’t be as far out of round as some claim if that’s true.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

He will win more majors, I would think. But he will finish with around 8-10 career majors, at most.

He caught lightning in a bottle in 2015, making 27.19% of putts from 15-25 feet. That's the highest percentage anyone has ever achieved, since they started keeping the stat in 2004. And Spieth hasn't been able to duplicate that since.

He is not overwhelmingly talented enough to dominate today's Tour. But I definitely see him being a staple in the top 15 over the next 10 years.

His greatest asset is his mind, in my opinion. He is a very critical thinker and he seems to really care about doing well, which will serve him very well.

I don’t think he’s going to get to 8-10 majors.

What does he have, 4? And one of those was a three putt on 18 gift from DJ on that sh!tty course.

His main problem is spending time with a coach that has made him worse in recent years. In 2018, Spieth said it took him at least 6 months before he realized he was working on the wrong things. Firstly, why didn't the coach realize this earlier? Secondly, why didn't Spieth upon figuring this out, fire his coach and move on ?

Spieth is obviously a very talented player, but seems to be too loyal to a coach that struggles to develop his player further.

He will win more majors, I would think. But he will finish with around 8-10 career majors, at most.

He caught lightning in a bottle in 2015, making 27.19% of putts from 15-25 feet. That's the highest percentage anyone has ever achieved, since they started keeping the stat in 2004. And Spieth hasn't been able to duplicate that since.

He is not overwhelmingly talented enough to dominate today's Tour. But I definitely see him being a staple in the top 15 over the next 10 years.

His greatest asset is his mind, in my opinion. He is a very critical thinker and he seems to really care about doing well, which will serve him very well.

I do think he’s going to get to 8-10 majors.

What does he have, 4? And one of those was a three putt on 18 gift from DJ on that sh!tty course.

Everybody forgets about the 3 wood to 12 ft he had to hit on 18 to be in position. It only looked like DJ gave it away because they weren’t in the same group. If they are in same group the story is spieth makes birdie to win. Which is what happened.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock