Modus Tour 105 - High Ball flight?

bkirkley09

I picked up the Srixon z585s with the stock 105 shafts and while the feel is amazing I cannot get the ball flight down. It is so high that it is costing me a lot of distance as my shots are getting a bit spinny and just flying straight up in the air. Are theses shafts known for a high ball flight? I am trying to found out some information and I see that they have a soft tip and late action may cause high flight, but I cannot even control it with what I feel are smooth swings. It is pretty frustrating. Just looking for information about how these shafts load etc. so that I can try to figure out how to control my ball flight. Thanks!

P.S. I love the skytrak which shows my all the details of my shot as I am pretty sure its going to transform my game!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are high spinning as well; which is typical when you approach the 100 gram class.

You may want to try the 120 if not, the 125 in a stiff.

I am just confused as when I look at Nippon website it says it has the same flight characteristics as the Tour 125 which is mid spin and mid flight. I had previously played Project X 6.5 but felt that they were too board so wanted to try a different shaft. I know this was an extreme switch but I never thought ball flight would be this much of a problem.

Did you pick up the Z585 irons to test them on launch monitor, or did you buy them?

The NS Pro Modus shaft family has a complex matrix to suggest what each shaft will deliver.The Modus 105 shafts are for medium tempo swingers, and offer medium flight and low spin.

Check out the NS Pro shaft site for other shafts in the Modus family: https://nipponshaft....brand_modus.php

You need a shaft that will stand up to your full tempo swing. If it's too light, you could start having left misses - assuming you're right-handed - by allowing the arms to take over.

True Temper and Project X have some shafts with firmer tips that would launch lower. And, PX now offers thr LZ line that is a bit friendlier than the originals.

Also, have someone check out your set-up and release. If you have a really early release, you may be flipping your irons rather than making solid, a slightly downward contact. Flipping can lead to lost distance and a high, spinny shot.

Again, are you testing the Z585s or do you already own them?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I have played the Modus 120 for 3 years and tried the 105 and found them lower launching.

The 105 as others have said is a Mid Launch - Low Spin shaft. I think the Z585 is built for higher launch even though the static lofts are strong. I would get on Trackman

GC Quad , Flight Scope and check your Dynamic loft. There is a chance your delivering added loft at impact causing higher ball flights and distance loss.

Are you hitting balls outside or basing this on SkyTrak? Dynamic Loft # is a huge indicator

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Mizuno STZ- 230 22 Hybrid  ,LIN-Q Blue 

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Mizuno T24 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

Did you pick up the Z585 irons to test them on launch monitor, or did you buy them?

The NS Pro Modus shaft family has a complex matrix to suggest what each shaft will deliver.The Modus 105 shafts are for medium tempo swingers, and offer medium flight and low spin.

Check out the NS Pro shaft site for other shafts in the Modus family: https://nipponshaft....brand_modus.php

You need a shaft that will stand up to your full tempo swing. If it's too light, you could start having left misses - assuming you're right-handed - by allowing the arms to take over.

True Temper and Project X have some shafts with firmer tips that would launch lower. And, PX now offers thr LZ line that is a bit friendlier than the originals.

Also, have someone check out your set-up and release. If you have a really early release, you may be flipping your irons rather than making solid, a slightly downward contact. Flipping can lead to lost distance and a high, spinny shot.

Again, are you testing the Z585s or do you already own them?

I own them and have hit quite a few shots. I am using the optimal shot analyzer for Skytrak and I am in the red for both launch and descent angle. My launch is never below 33* and my descent angle is normally 50+*.

I have played the Modus 120 for 3 years and tried the 105 and found them lower launching.

The 105 as others have said is a Mid Launch - Low Spin shaft. I think the Z585 is built for higher launch even though the static lofts are strong. I would get on Trackman

GC Quad , Flight Scope and check your Dynamic loft. There is a chance your delivering added loft at impact causing higher ball flights and distance loss.

Are you hitting balls outside or basing this on SkyTrak? Dynamic Loft # is a huge indicator

I am assuming that is what I am doing but I have tried flighting the ball down (granted I am not a great golfer) and nothing seems to make a difference. I was hoping someone here would know some drills or tests that I could use to get the flight under control as even if it is the shaft I should be able to at least control the flight if I manipulated my swing. I am trying to get a better more consistent and manageable flight and right now when my 9 iron goes 40yds in the air it makes it difficult.

What flex are the 105’s?

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I play the Modus 105 x flex in my i200s. I'm a high ball hitter with practically any shaft and I dont find these to produce an unusually high flight. I play a lot in the wind and have no problems flighting the ball down when needed. Without a doubt these are the best feeling shafts I've ever used.

OP, you might need to jump up to x flex

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Most stronger players are going to hit a light weight shaft higher. Since you come from px 6.5 I’d have to guess you aren’t a slower guy. How’s the dispersion ? Do you feel like you can step on it and hit them straight ? Or are you babying them around trying to hit them straight.?

In my experience, if you have to ask , it’s all ready too late. Sell or re shaft em before you lose your swing trying to adapt it to those shafts.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Always been a high ball hitter. Play the 105s. They haven't really been worse for me BUT I do have a tendency to be a bit flippy sometimes and I do feel like the 105s can exaggerate that, whether its because they are lighter and I just flip more aggressively or sthg I don't know, however when I do get flippy these things can go crazy high (and if I get handsy they can go left in a hurry, but thats another story). Of course, any shaft can go higher if im flippy, but I guess the way of saying it is when I am, these things go higher than the a flipped KBS Tour. But when I'm not, when I have more rotated through swing, the 105s are actually lower than the KBS for me. I've thought about going to the 105x, but I hate changing sthg that works well most of the time (Plus, I've stayed in these shafts because they've essentially eliminated wrist pain I had in KBS, PX, etc.). Its just on some bad habit days I have a problem.

Something seems off, a launch angle of 33 for a mid iron just looks like a miss-read. Is there a chance you are hitting the mat heavy thus contacting the iron super high on the face?

There isn’t a shaft change in the world than will drop launch by ~13 degrees.

There is nothing inherently super high launch about the Modus 105, sure there are stronger profiles but you need to establish if you really have a severe miss fit or a problem with your SkyTrack numbers. Borrow a friends iron with a ‘low launch’ shaft and compare the SkyTrack numbers.

Something seems off, a launch angle of 33 for a mid iron just looks like a miss-read. Is there a chance you are hitting the mat heavy thus contacting the iron super high on the face?

There isn’t a shaft change in the world than will drop launch by ~13 degrees.

There is nothing inherently super high launch about the Modus 105, sure there are stronger profiles but you need to establish if you really have a severe miss fit or a problem with your SkyTrack numbers. Borrow a friends iron with a ‘low launch’ shaft and compare the SkyTrack numbers.

I have always had high ball flight even with the px6.5. So I thought if I had a smoother more controlled swing I would lower that a bit. Elk it’s really hard to gauge how hard/smooth I am swinging. My distances are all over the place right now but my launches have all been consistently high unless I significantly alter the club head to hit more of a stinger type shot.

Most stronger players are going to hit a light weight shaft higher. Since you come from px 6.5 I’d have to guess you aren’t a slower guy. How’s the dispersion ? Do you feel like you can step on it and hit them straight ? Or are you babying them around trying to hit them straight.?

In my experience, if you have to ask , it’s all ready too late. Sell or re shaft em before you lose your swing trying to adapt it to those shafts.

Yea I mean I love the feel as I get so much more feedback on Mishima whereas the px6.5 felt like hitting a board every time no matter where the impact was. Granted I also went from cast AP1s to the z585s. I tend to agree I am just having trouble feeling/timing the kick of these shafts and it leads to some bombs but some short crazy high spiny shots as well. They might be going up on BST shortly.

Modus 105 is both medium soft overall and in the tip, two things that lead to fairly high launch. As always, people that load the shaft heavily will notice more so than people that don't.

Titleist has some good shaft data that's worth checking out...

Keep in mind that butt frequency is the gauge for overall stiffness and 20 cpm is about one flex rating. Regarding tip stiffness, you need to see 30+ cpm (or maybe more?) between shafts in order to affect much of a difference in launch.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

They are high spinning as well; which is typical when you approach the 100 gram class.

You may want to try the 120 if not, the 125 in a stiff.

I am just confused as when I look at Nippon website it says it has the same flight characteristics as the Tour 125 which is mid spin and mid flight. I had previously played Project X 6.5 but felt that they were too board so wanted to try a different shaft. I know this was an extreme switch but I never thought ball flight would be this much of a problem.

The PX lz is a great shaft coming from the PX being boardy

Exactly my experience as well. I launched the Modus 120x shafts quite a bit higher than the 105x. For me the modus 105 is mid launch, mid spin...

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

The Modus 105's are an excellent shaft and I have no issue with flighting them low or high when needed, think the op needs to look at the clubhead and if needed, how he releases into the ball.

The z585 has a larger v sole than other

Srixon models.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

So I have worked on my swing, release and follow through all day today and have finally got the launch in a much better zone. It seems that most of my weight was not being transferred to my front leg which caused me to add too much loft to the club. So I worked on stepping through the zone after impact and it gave me a great flight. I can’t do it standing still yet but I believe this has to do with my ball impact and not the shaft.