Equipment prices are insane this year!

bogeypro

In addition to inflation we also need to keep in mind income increases. I make way more money than I did 20yrs ago. Its way easier for me to buy a $700 driver(if I wanted to, which I don't) today than it was for me to buy a GBB for $500 in 1995.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

The general marketing strategy is to try to get more money out of the remaining few people who have it, not to find new buyers.

That's probably the most accurate statement in this thread.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Of all the new irons I've tested, not one is worthy to knock my MP-64s out of the bag. I don't think players irons have improved enough over the last 10 years to justify spending over $1,000 on a new set. However, I feel the game improvement irons have gotten SO LONG that it's ridiculous. There's not a cold day in hell where I'd play p790s because they simply go too far and have too little feel. Take my favorite club for example, the 8-iron. With my current 8-iron I fly the ball 175-180 in "normal" conditions (I live at sea level and I'm talking about 75 degrees F or so). With a P790 8-iron of the same length with the same shaft I was flying the ball 190 to 195 yards. I don't think anyone "needs" to hit an 8-iron that far and there was definitely a sacrifice in feel and workability.

In short, I think you can wait even longer to upgrade your irons.. unless you are looking for stupid distance. For Woods, the last release cycle seems to be fairly similar to the newest for most models so save your money. I think most of club fitting is about finding what's comfortable and gives you confidence in your game. Do you need an extra 5 yards off the tee? I don't think most people do.

It’s not the cost of irons and drivers that shock me, it’s the cost of the damn putters that is outrageous. Considering that there has been very little R&D change to putters, and that it does not require a premium shaft, there is no reason that non-custom putters should be > $200. I get that it is the most used club in the bag, but they just keep rebranding the same designs over and over each year ... change black to red and jack up the price based on the “new visual and alignment help” or tweak the firmness of an insert and charge more for a “pro” model of the same damn clubhead.

It’s not the cost of irons and drivers that shock me, it’s the cost of the damn putters that is outrageous. Considering that there has been very little R&D change to putters, and that it does not require a premium shaft, there is no reason that non-custom putters should be > $200. I get that it is the most used club in the bag, but they just keep rebranding the same designs over and over each year ... change black to red and jack up the price based on the “new visual and alignment help” or tweak the firmness of an insert and charge more for a “pro” model of the same damn clubhead.

Problem is people keep buying into the gimmick, OEM`s are not stupid.

Of all the new irons I've tested, not one is worthy to knock my MP-64s out of the bag. I don't think players irons have improved enough over the last 10 years to justify spending over $1,000 on a new set. However, I feel the game improvement irons have gotten SO LONG that it's ridiculous. There's not a cold day in hell where I'd play p790s because they simply go too far and have too little feel. Take my favorite club for example, the 8-iron. With my current 8-iron I fly the ball 175-180 in "normal" conditions (I live at sea level and I'm talking about 75 degrees F or so). With a P790 8-iron of the same length with the same shaft I was flying the ball 190 to 195 yards. I don't think anyone "needs" to hit an 8-iron that far and there was definitely a sacrifice in feel and workability.

In short, I think you can wait even longer to upgrade your irons.. unless you are looking for stupid distance. For Woods, the last release cycle seems to be fairly similar to the newest for most models so save your money. I think most of club fitting is about finding what's comfortable and gives you confidence in your game. Do you need an extra 5 yards off the tee? I don't think most people do.

While you may not like the GI irons, they do offer a specific group of people the opportunity to also try to enjoy this bastxxx of a game. Which is a good thing IMHO.

I don't think I have ever paid "full price" since the day I started. The depreciation of golf clubs is very high when compared to other sports/hobbies I have. That $500 driver can be had brand new for half price in less than a season. That typically doesn't happen with cycling or ice climbing or anything else I'm into.

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

$700 for new drivers here in Canada, plus 13% taxes=$791!?!? Apex/Pros coming in at $1,800?! Going to be an interesting yr. for sales!? :to_become_senile:

Yeah, but you have free health care.

Hardly. Our income taxes, sales taxes, gas and food prices are much higher than yours. I've worked in both countries. Taxes pay for the health care here.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

R&D ain't cheap...be patient as actual selling prices will likely be lower, or go with last year's model, which can be found discounted fairly deeply.

One of main reasons I quit HOing clubs, going on two years now as reformed.

Is it R&D costs or something else?

My understanding is R&D budgets are nothing like the marketing and promotional budgets spent by the OEM's.

The big guys have to cover what they spend in paying the pro's to play their stuff. Those contracts aren't cheap!

The general marketing strategy is to try to get more money out of the remaining few people who have it, not to find new buyers.

I'm on the back end of my golfing life so not sure if I will ever buy another new set. My latest set includes woods bought used and new irons purchased almost 2 years after they first hit the market. Perfectly happy buying that way.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

R&D ain't cheap...be patient as actual selling prices will likely be lower, or go with last year's model, which can be found discounted fairly deeply.

One of main reasons I quit HOing clubs, going on two years now as reformed.

Is it R&D costs or something else?

My understanding is R&D budgets are nothing like the marketing and promotional budgets spent by the OEM's.

The big guys have to cover what they spend in paying the pro's to play their stuff. Those contracts aren't cheap!

I don't recall the specifics but Titleist sale a couple of years ago showed their marketing expenditures was many times greater than R&D

I remember as a junior in 2000 or so saving money for a new Ping TiSi Tec driver and back then it was around $600 CAD.

I can remember paying $400 for a used one, ouch. This is after both the wife and I won our respected long drive contest at local fun tournament with that exact club. Still have it, need to pull it out again.

had a call today from a good friend, after a long layoff of play, asking where should he go for equipment.

this fellow is tall so he may need length and upright adjustments.

I recommended he begin at the fitters. pay the fee.

get measured and find the right type for his swing.

tell the fitter he will be looking for budget equipment so point him to brands we know are available as second hand.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

all new 2019 club purchases include a bottle of lube.

Dammit, I got ripped off!

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Money really only becomes an issue if you are buying and selling the clubs after a couple rounds. If you buy them and use them for a few years the extra $100 is nothing.

Or look at ways to buy slightly used then you just pay payment fees+shipping

or use one of the 90 day trial programs

or sell your kids to slave labor

There are a ton of options today to make it possible

edit: My solution, studying my butt off so i can make more cash and not have to worry about it

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

I know we always complain about prices, but everything is really humping up this year. Irons in the $1300-1400 range. Drivers finally cracked $500.

Drivers have been $500+ previously. In 2003 the R510TP was priced at retail at $599.99 and higher. Inflation adjusted over $800 in current day money.

Perhaps a history lesson from 1996 needs revisiting.

https://www.si.com/v...surely-costlier

This barrier, however, was broken quietly, indoors and without warning, when

Ram Golf president Jim Hansberger--wearing a coat and tie instead

of the traditional fireproof jumpsuit--introduced the Ram FX

Ti-Forged oversize titanium driver. Suggested retail price: $1,000.

Or it doesn't, depending on whom you talk to. For more than a

year Titleist and MacGregor have been selling oversize titanium

drivers for less than $300--or trying to, anyway. "They haven't

sold any," says Callaway Golf CEO Ely Callaway, smiling broadly.

"Ask any retailer." (We did. He's right.) Callaway, on the other

hand, has shipped 300,000 of its Great Big Bertha titanium

drivers, which retail for a robust $500. Industry giant Cobra,

seeking to establish itself in metal woods, has trumped Callaway

by pricing its King Cobra Ti (pronounced tee-eye) driver at a

mere $367, causing industry experts to conclude that Callaway

either will lower its price (it'll have to, if everybody follows

Cobra's lead) or thumb its nose at the competition (Callaway is

arrogant enough to keep the price up, no matter what others

charge). At Founders Club, whose Judge titanium driver sells for

$475, metal woods pioneer and company founder Gary Adams

concedes, "Those people who drive a Mercedes will want to own a

titanium driver."

Reminds me of the Tommy Armour Ti100 iron. It was one of the first irons that its clubhead was 100% Titanium. It came out in '96 and retailed for $1200 for steel and $1500 for graphite (which roughly is $1900 & $2400 in today's dollars).

Too bad that iron was a flop and pretty much killed the original iteration of that company and its management.

I was one of the dummies that bought a graphite set of Ti's at full retail, minus a $100 rebate. I recall, a couple years after release, Big Lots had Ti's for $199. I played those clubs until I bought a new set of 09 x forged, deeply discounted ($400) in 2010. Still playing the x forged, best clubs I ever bought.

Traded the Ti's in 2010 for a Diablo driver. The Ti's still looked like new, $110 trade. Lucky to get that much.

Learned a valuable lesson, buy either deeply discounted new, or gently used. Buying the latest and greatest is just throwing money away.

I hear ya. What really irks me for a long time is how much even PUTTER COVERS are so overpriced. I still have no clue why Scotty Cameron Covers are in the hundreds of dollars.

For God's sake, it's just a piece of leather lined with fleece!

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

$700 for new drivers here in Canada, plus 13% taxes=$791!?!? Apex/Pros coming in at $1,800?! Going to be an interesting yr. for sales!? :to_become_senile:

Yeah, but you have free health care.

Hardly. Our income taxes, sales taxes, gas and food prices are much higher than yours. I've worked in both countries. Taxes pay for the health care here.

I'm from Vancouver, BC myself and we're the only province that still pays for healthcare (although heavily subsidized) through monthly premiums based on your income. By 2020, we'll pay health care by way of our income taxes just like the rest of the country.

Gas here is the highest in North America. It is quite common for us to cross the border to Washington state to gas up where gas is approximately 30% cheaper because of lower Gov't taxes, even after you account for the foreign exchange.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Because of all the high costs, I am hoping to keep my bag the same for next few years. I have pretty much all new clubs and multiple sets of wedges with 2 having little to no wear.

Frankly, despite making a lot of money. Incant afford to keep the buying pace I've had over the last several years. That and I really like my equipment for once.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

I would agree that you have to combo buying maybe a year old set, and strike at the right time. I got a brand new set of of Cobra Oversize 4-P for about 290 around Black Friday. They had reduced the price on their website, and as such, Amazon reduced their price to match it. Amazon also happened to be running a promo where if you used AMEX points you got an additional 20% off. It worked out well for me, but I had been waiting over a year to get those clubs under that 300 dollar price point.

Yes. Prices are out of control but seems people still forking over the money. Always amazed when I see people talk about all the new clubs they had over season. I use to buy new and latest, but now buy previous release or close out items. Can get for 1/3 price and not really missing out on performance

Ping G410+ 9° with tour shaft
Titleist TSR3 19 hybrid

Ping S55 3-pw x100
Vokey 52/56/60
Scotty Newport 2