2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Currently playing the Sterlings (5-PW) at 36 5/8 length and at 65 lie angle. I'm 6'1" and wtf 36.5 if I remember correctly. I've been looking at the SLS-01 and will prob do the demo program and if I'm still interested will do a full fitting.

Regarding the SLS-01 it looks like the gaps are pretty tight round the 7/8 iron and I think they jam in one more iron between 23 - 45 degrees compared to Cobra / Sterlings. Is this something anyone playing them has noticed or have you through bending the lofts been able to take the nr of irons (between 23 - 45 degrees) to 6 from the 7 they now have as standard loft set-up.

Lobber - try to do a fitting if possible. I did my fitting with an Edel rep and he recommended 36.5 for me. I’m 6’3” so my normal clubs are 1’inch longer, and so the Edel is more like an 8 or 9. It’s really amazing to hit a 6 iron that feels like a 9 and goes 190.

What does age have to do with club length?! Just kidding, I think you just missed including the characters to state that you are 6’3”...

Ha ha. You are correct. 6’3” not 63 years yet!

Curious if any tall folks on this form are gaming single length and if so at what length? I’m 6’4” and considering ordering a set at my normal 7 iron length of 38 inches. Any input appreciated

6'3, and I play 7 iron length. Wrist to floor, not height, is Relevant.

+1 inch was bad for my game. Hit my 7 iron much better than my 6

My wrist to floor is 38 inches.

gotcha, just checking as the responses were all listing height.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I have a new question on the F8s one length that I ordered as I ordered them with nippon 105 pro instead of the stock shaft.i hope that shaft does not change the characteristics of the one length to perform the way they were designed.

I have the F7 with 105's and they work great.. Great shaft and given the options I highly doubt that the shaft offerings will cause any performance loss to the one length design.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I have a new question on the F8s one length that I ordered as I ordered them with nippon 105 pro instead of the stock shaft.i hope that shaft does not change the characteristics of the one length to perform the way they were designed.

You will be just fine... They made me a set of forged one length with Ctaper lite and they are fantastic.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

So my main bag is now set with the FTB Ones and the King Utility OL.

I usually keep a second bag at a family vacation spot that we use on summer weekends. Right now, that bag is filled with my VL clubs. Thinking about buying 4-6 iron in F8 or F9 OL clubs and having a combo set. Trying to save money over shelling out for another complete OL set.

Anyone with edels have their average gapping numbers over the course of a season? I'm still interested, but even trying them is an expensive experiment.

I don't have my average gapping numbers charted or anything like that, but I carry 5-GW.

I hit my irons in this range:

5 iron 175-185

6 iron 165-175

7 iron 150-160

8 iron 135-150

9 iron 120-135

PW 110-120

GW 100-110.

I have a little bit of a gap between my 6 and 7 iron...I just cannot step on a 7 iron to get it to 165 with any degree of consistency...and honestly, I ignore it. I'm not good enough to worry about that.

Also, these are just my normal swings in the 85-90% range. That is where I stay in control and get consistent distance and direction. Any softer...bad things...any harder...bad things. The exception to that is hitting 3/4 and 1/2 shots with the PW and GW...I can hit a dandy from 50-100 yards with both clubs depending on what I need to happen. I also practice those shots quite a bit though.

One other thing that I've seen...I now REALLY trust chipping with a 7iron or less...I just stand close to the ball, put the toe down slightly, and making an appropriate putting stroke...the longer length short irons make this VERY easy for me to have success around the greens.

I hope that helps.

For any of you that have been thru an Edel fitting -- do they have any ability to change grip type and size?

They can and will do anything you want. It may take them some time to get the grips for you, but they can and will do it.

It's a fitting issue, not a build issue. I use Jumbo grips, which are heavy and alter the swing weight of the club. A fitting with regular grips wouldn't mean much.

Anyone with edels have their average gapping numbers over the course of a season? I'm still interested, but even trying them is an expensive experiment.

I don't have my average gapping numbers charted or anything like that, but I carry 5-GW.

5 iron 175-185

6 iron 165-175

7 iron 150-160

8 iron 135-150

9 iron 120-135

PW 110-120

GW 100-110.

I have a little bit of a gap between my 6 and 7 iron...I just cannot step on a 7 iron to get it to 165 with any degree of consistency...and honestly, I ignore it. I'm not good enough to worry about that.

Also, these are just my normal swings in the 85-90% range. That is where I stay in control and get consistent distance and direction. Any softer...bad things...any harder...bad things. The exception to that is hitting 3/4 and 1/2 shots with the PW and GW...I can hit a dandy from 50-100 yards with both clubs depending on what I need to happen. I also practice those shots quite a bit though.

One other thing that I've seen...I now REALLY trust chipping with a 7iron or less...I just stand close to the ball, put the toe down slightly, and making an appropriate putting stroke...the longer length short irons make this VERY easy for me to have success around the greens.

I hope that helps.

Why are there such bad results with softer and harder swings? Function of swing or is there some characteristic of the clubs to be on the lookout for?

I played Cobra Forged One irons last year and loved them, and I'm a believer in one length. I'm playing something else right now, however, hoping that Cobra will release another version of their "players" one length set. These are the irons DeChambeau plays and, like him, I had trouble with the four and five iron. Couldn't get nearly enough height. Bryson has switched to utility irons for his 4 and 5. I also think they need to tweak the shafts and lofts to address the sky-high short irons and flat long irons. I'm hoping with another round of innovation they can get this right, in which case I will happily jump back in to the one-length world.

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

I just got back from visiting Edel inTX and getting fit as well as trained to be an Edel fitter. I’m 6’2” and play to a +1 hdcp. I got SLS 3-W with 95gr stiff flex. Long iron profile in the 3/4 mid in 5/6 and short 7/W. I’m a high ball hitter with a strong draw. We were able to keep my launch and peak height the same to a bit lower but the big thing was the more than 50% reduction in sidespin. I also got fit for 52/58* wedges and was shocked the difference between trying all the different steel traditional length shafts. I’ve played S400’s for 15yrs and never thought twice about them. Now will have some KBS in those. I’ll start a new thread detailing my experience and results once they arrive in 10-14 days as well as extra info on the fitting process and what Edel does different.

I just got back from visiting Edel inTX and getting fit as well as trained to be an Edel fitter. I’m 6’2” and play to a +1 hdcp. I got SLS 3-W with 95gr stiff flex. Long iron profile in the 3/4 mid in 5/6 and short 7/W. I’m a high ball hitter with a strong draw. We were able to keep my launch and peak height the same to a bit lower but the big thing was the more than 50% reduction in sidespin. I also got fit for 52/58* wedges and was shocked the difference between trying all the different steel traditional length shafts. I’ve played S400’s for 15yrs and never thought twice about them. Now will have some KBS in those. I’ll start a new thread detailing my experience and results once they arrive in 10-14 days as well as extra info on the fitting process and what Edel does different.

Intrigued by the 50% reduction in side spin. Can you share what the before and after was in your dispersion?

5 iron 175-185

6 iron 165-175

7 iron 150-160

8 iron 135-150

9 iron 120-135

PW 110-120

GW 100-110.

I hope that helps.

Why are there such bad results with softer and harder swings? Function of swing or is there some characteristic of the clubs to be on the lookout for?

Sadly, that is ALL me baby. :). I was the same way with my previous irons. It's not lack of physical ability, it's a lack of mental ability. If I try to take something off or step on one...I turn into JoJo the Idiot Clown boy and do dumb things.

Intrigued by the 50% reduction in side spin. Can you share what the before and after was in your dispersion?

On a 6iron I was about 1500rpms of draw spin and was able to cut that down to 600rpms.

any of you edel guys try and get a regular edel wedge built to or close to the specs of your sls irons? Search really didn't help and we're at 37 pages now and I do have to work occasionally!

asking for a friend of course

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

any of you edel guys try and get a regular edel wedge built to or close to the specs of your sls irons? Search really didn't help and we're at 37 pages now and I do have to work occasionally!

When I was at Edel last week Jaret said it’s about 50/50 guys that match the wedges or go traditional. It’s a preference thing, seemed more of the low handicaps did the traditional wedges and more mid-high hdcp did one length but that’s not a hard n fast rule. Their wedge fitting was amazing btw.

Edel wedges were on my mind a lot

- Edel SW: Once I stopped forward learning the shaft, I was able to get good loft on chips. I LOVE this club for 90 and in shots and pitch and run shots. Don’t love it in the sand.

Just ordered the Cobra Black One Length 60 degree at 37.75 inches so I could have something the same length. It was easier for me to go this route because I had some golf store credit and can try for 90 days vs. ordering a more expensive custom Edel Wedge at that length...but I may do that eventually, lol! Cobra was able to match my Edel SW E0 swing weight, too. Haven’t tried it yet but can let ya know!

Primary reason for getting the 60 degree: Less bounce than the Edel SW and I was tired of the sand traps sand blasting my expensive Edel club faces, ha!

I will be talking to Edel soon. I am looking at the SLS01 SW, because it would primarily be used as like a '12 iron'...mainly from the fairways and around greens. I am also interested in custom grind wedge at 58-60* but that would primarily be used for bunker shots. It will not be at the 'single length' set up.

Had my fitting yesterday on the Edel Single Length irons at the Club Champion in Raleigh, NC.

My first comment is that in the past I didn't have the best results at a Club Champion centre. Previously I'd been fit for a driver in Charlotte and something wasn't right with their trackman setup (everything was coming out as a snap hook, I'm a good enough player to know when I'm hitting a snap hook and I wasn't that day). Anyway I started warming up with a few 7-irons and the setup at that store was perfect. The ball flight matched what I felt pretty closely.

They had the stock 4, 6 and PW for demo and we started straight with the 4-iron. My initial feedback was the feel of these irons was as good as anything I'd hit even with the Club Champion adaptor which some people have commented on effecting feel. Visually the 4-iron looked a very small head but when I put it up against my 4-iron (MIzuno MP-18 SC) it was almost identical hell to toe. Probably what gives the illusion of a compact head is the slightly thicker top line compared to the MP-18's I'm used to. In terms of ball flight I couldn't fault the club, it was consistent and penetrating. Edel have done a great job making these irons have a hot face, I was getting smash factors in the 1.47-1.48 range. Initially I was around 5-10 yards short of where I'd like to be with a 4 iron (200-205 carry compared to 210-215). I naturally have a high ball flight so we strengthened the flow by a degree and got straight into the ball park of where I'd like to see the 4-iron.

Then we moved onto the wedge and that will be a harder club for me. I like to be able to control my ball flight and the longer club length naturally hits the ball higher. To control that flight and knock the ball down a bit we strengthened the loft but then the carry was too long. We bent back to the standard loft and I was working on hitting 3/4 shots and knock down shots. The workability of these irons impressed me a lot, very consistent.

As a summary, very very impressed. Am I going to pull the trigger on these? Not sure yet, got a lot of thinking to do with this, although I do have a couple of questions for you guys:

• I was fit with the stiff shaft and the fitter recommended going for the extra stiff (which I typically play) but then didn't have that shaft in stock. Maybe going to that stiffer shaft will help with knocking down those short irons.
  • Also the fitting was with the standard 6-iron length, so I'm wondering what the difference is going down to a 7-iron or even 8-iron length. Is that a personal preference thing or is there a big performance difference? My only thought would be that with the 7-iron shafts for the same club head the ball flight will be lower?

I will be talking to Edel soon. I am looking at the SLS01 SW, because it would primarily be used as like a '12 iron'...mainly from the fairways and around greens. I am also interested in custom grind wedge at 58-60* but that would primarily be used for bunker shots. It will not be at the 'single length' set up.

I emailed them, could've sworn I read they built a standard wedge with the sl shaft somewhere, too lazy to read all 37 pages again, they quoted me for the sls wedge may just call them, keep us posted what you hear

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

I'm going to sell my Edels on the BST. I thought I needed a heavier shaft, but I was wrong. I just looked on the bay and there is only one set of SLS-01 out there: For $2,000!!

Edel makes a great product and the concept has merit. I don't want to keep trying different used sets of Edels, but don't want to spend full boat on a new set, either. I have a set of Gigagolf SLs I will keep around for giggles. Maybe someday I'll return...

Ive been doing some research and cant seem to find anything. Did the Cobra forged OL come in left handed?

No... Just the regular version. That's why I went Sterlings.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf