2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Equipment prices are insane this year!

bogeypro

Yes. Prices are out of control but seems people still forking over the money. Always amazed when I see people talk about all the new clubs they had over season. I use to buy new and latest, but now buy previous release or close out items. Can get for 1/3 price and not really missing out on performance

My dad and I were probably the worst ones with new equipment in our league. But I think both of us this year maybe set. I atleast hope I am. Hard to get consistent when you change all the time.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

It’s not the cost of irons and drivers that shock me, it’s the cost of the damn putters that is outrageous. Considering that there has been very little R&D change to putters, and that it does not require a premium shaft, there is no reason that non-custom putters should be > $200. I get that it is the most used club in the bag, but they just keep rebranding the same designs over and over each year ... change black to red and jack up the price based on the “new visual and alignment help” or tweak the firmness of an insert and charge more for a “pro” model of the same damn clubhead.

Agree - for a club that just rolls the ball toward the hole. The Ping Answer head is still the Ping Anser head, but just been hijacked by every company. I'm still gaming my 2-ball DFX for the last 18 years.

It’s not the cost of irons and drivers that shock me, it’s the cost of the damn putters that is outrageous. Considering that there has been very little R&D change to putters, and that it does not require a premium shaft, there is no reason that non-custom putters should be > $200. I get that it is the most used club in the bag, but they just keep rebranding the same designs over and over each year ... change black to red and jack up the price based on the “new visual and alignment help” or tweak the firmness of an insert and charge more for a “pro” model of the same damn clubhead.

I hear ya. What really irks me for a long time is how much even PUTTER COVERS are so overpriced. I still have no clue why Scotty Cameron Covers are in the hundreds of dollars.

For God's sake, it's just a piece of leather lined with fleece!

How about the sweet Titleist driver head cover I saw at Golf Galaxy last week - $100!!!

R&D ain't cheap...be patient as actual selling prices will likely be lower, or go with last year's model, which can be found discounted fairly deeply.

One of main reasons I quit HOing clubs, going on two years now as reformed.

Is it R&D costs or something else?

My understanding is R&D budgets are nothing like the marketing and promotional budgets spent by the OEM's.

The big guys have to cover what they spend in paying the pro's to play their stuff. Those contracts aren't cheap!

Marketing is a big piece of the pie. Doesn’t do any good to spend money researching and making a product if you don’t have the money to tell a story and have people show off the product.

Also with the technology being used like a supercomputer or incorporating new materials into the design, then the cost of the materials, cost of labor, cost of transporting materials and the finished product going up the costs have to be paid by somebody and that is going to be the consumer. Imo as golfers we have been spoiled a little with the cost of equipment being somewhat stagnant for awhile with drivers hanging around the $300-400 range. Golf really isn’t different than any other consumer product. Costs go up and will do do until he consumer stops buying.

I don't buy often but enjoy reading and learning about the new equipment.. I always buy my equipment new - but just before the new stuff comes out.

913D3 Driver $225 (purchased fall of 2014)

716 AP2s, 4-W $715 (purchased September 2017)

SM6 Wedges $99 (purchased Fall 2017)

I also take advantage of balls, gloves and shoes this way.

R&D ain't cheap...be patient as actual selling prices will likely be lower, or go with last year's model, which can be found discounted fairly deeply.

One of main reasons I quit HOing clubs, going on two years now as reformed.

Is it R&D costs or something else?

My understanding is R&D budgets are nothing like the marketing and promotional budgets spent by the OEM's.

The big guys have to cover what they spend in paying the pro's to play their stuff. Those contracts aren't cheap!

Plus all the "influencers" they juice. I played a lot with an X crossers dad in the 90's he got all new clubs from Clevland every year. I read some chick ( I guess she's famous, can't remember her name) canceled her engagement. She went to the high-class jeweler and told them she was keeping the 2 million dollar ring and it was worth it to them because she displayed it on Instagram etc. They agreed. Many have said OEM's aren't stupid. Correct. I love Callaway but they put it out there that we designed this driver with a gazillion dollar supercomputer somewhere under the Nevada mountains or some such nonsense. Letting the consumer conjure some unbelievable high price in their mind and bam $550.00 hell that's a deal. IMHO some outlier dude with a lot of money showed them the way. Top 5 OEM's in almost any category is like the opposing attorneys in a divorce settlement. It's all about them and screw ya who aren't in our cabal.

I bet golf balls, golf gloves, and other golf accessories have much higher margins than golf clubs.

You are correct.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

It’s already been posted, but worth repeating. Clubs are actually less expensive today than they should be if you adjust for inflation from many years ago.

The great big Bertha titanium was $500 in 1995. Adjusted for inflation that’s $831 dollars today.

$550 for a good driver today given how much better the equipment is should actually be considered a bargain.

Maybe they are more like computers, though.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Guys, you act like it should be cheap to trade up from something like a Rogue SZ to the EPIC Flash. When you might gain 3 yards on drives, should that not be worth the $300 dollar difference? If you hit it 12 times a round and play 50 rounds a year then in 2 years you have gained 3600 yards. That is about 8 cents per yard. You pay $3 bucks for a coke at the pizza joint, $5 bucks per coffee at Starbucks, $150 bucks for a couple of phone lines each month, $70 bucks a month for some fast internet so you can read WRX, and no telling how much to get a couple of hundred TV channels (most you never watch)...so are club prices out of line all that much?

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I bet golf balls, golf gloves, and other golf accessories have much higher margins than golf clubs.

You are correct.

Golf balls, no.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I took up the game again about 3 years ago. I made my first bag up via ebay (Titleist irons and driver, Mizzy wedges - none of it a very good fit lol) but when the bug got me I bought some Adams irons. They weren't really right for me so after 6 months I got fit into some Ping Gs, with driver and 3 and 5 wood. I also bought Ping Glide wedges and picked up a Ketsch putter from ebay.

I dabbled with a couple of crossovers too.

I kept this setup for a year until I improved into some i200s and I switched to TM M1 driver and hybrids.

So, it took me about two years and I reckon I "wasted" £200 on ebay purchases, £300 on crossovers and £350 on the Adams irons.

I don't qualify the G irons or woods as a waste because they were fit and they were right for me at the time.

I reckon I probably recouped around £400 from selling my waste so I'm around £650 down on expensive "mistakes". Throw in probably another £550 that I lost trading in the G equipment.

Probably not bad by WRX standards tbf but the upside is, I have no plans to change my bag now. I'm officially off 13.4 right now but tbh I expect that to drop to 8 or 9 come the Spring comps.

I think I can go lower, my target is to get to a 5 and I've promised myself if I do I will book in at TourX, pay £200 for the full bag fitting and get whatever fits me best from whatever is the latest and greatest. And that will be it. If I never get to 5 then I'll carry on with what I've got unless something breaks. Wedges may be the exception if they wear to a point it becomes noticeable.

I'm 51 this year. All being well I plan to play well into my retirement but one thing is for sure, I don't plan on changing equipment any time soon

I hit my driver far enough and unless there are rule changes, nothing is going to come out which will increase that distance enough to justify spending £500.

FWIW, equipment is expensive. Spending £2000 to fill a bag is an expensive purchase. But if you bag it for 5 years, it's not so bad. Is it getting more expensive? I'm not so sure. Yes, there's the boutique brands and yes, there's the high end products offered by certain OEMs. But you don't have to pay £1300 or more for a great quality, well fitted set of irons. You can get driver and irons for that and if you don't mind previous iterations, close to a full bag for the same.

However, if you have to have the latest driver and fairways/hybrids, the latest utility with superfill speedfoam jelly, the latest irons from Japan and the coolest Scotty/Betty putter, good luck!

Not sure it will save you shots tho....

You are correct.

Golf balls, no.

I don't think there's much margin for the retailers, but for the manufacturers, the profit margins are quite wide, especially for balls.

How do think Titleist can afford to pay Moe Norman $5k/month from 1995 till the day he died just for doing nothing?

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

OP is definitely not wrong about prices being high. It's just that it's pretty much true about everything. My kids' sports (which includes golf), groceries, cars. Life is outrageously expensive.

Tell you what. Let's put you a standard of living from 1996. Its really, really, really cheap. You can return to a late-90s super-cheap life right now. Cut the cell phone, buy a late 90s car with late 90s features, cut basically all internet services, cut anything organic or non-processed from your diet, health care from back then, etc etc

Yeah stuff is more expensive but you get a hell of a lot more for the money now then then. "Its so expensive now!" is such a silly complaint. Every year technology gets better and our price to features ratio gets better. After two or three days you'd pay the difference just for the smart phone let alone everything else.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Costs are up across the board in many areas of the business. But let's not lose sight of the most important factor for the OEM - gross margin. Suggested retail prices will go up, costs will be cut (see player contracts and other marketing), but margins will be maintained or there are serious problems for the executives.

Golf in the US seems to have stabilized at 24 million golfers (down from 30 million) and so the OEMs have adjusted, but it was some tough years, and in the end what was accomplished? Less OEMs for one thing, less competition...so now we see the prices rise.

Golf has some funny economics. For a long while I thought golf courses were too outrageously priced at their peak; especially in relation to the cost of a new set of irons. It's not a real comparison, but I would just make a mental note that how crazy is it I could get a nice set of irons for $800, but a premium golf course is $125?! A set or irons should be worth a lot more than 6 rounds of golf. Now the courses are getting cheaper from over building and lack of play, and the irons have gone way up in price.

You are correct.

Golf balls, no.

Titleist spends as much on the packaging of the dozen golf balls as the ball itself. There is huge margin in golf ball manufacturing. This is why you see the sudden proliferation in premium golf balls for less price (Snell, Vice, etc...).

For the golf shop, the margin is pretty bad. Not exactly a loss leader, but a necessary evil to get the shoppers in.

I know we always complain about prices, but everything is really humping up this year. Irons in the $1300-1400 range. Drivers finally cracked $500. Fairways of $400!

Im just amazed at it all this year. I got my TMB set used because they were so outrageously priced.

I know that nobody is making you buy new, but this wont help newcomers to the sport.

PXG effect..

• 2 months later...

> @MarkAJones said:

> I took up the game again about 3 years ago. I made my first bag up via ebay (Titleist irons and driver, Mizzy wedges - none of it a very good fit lol) but when the bug got me I bought some Adams irons. They weren't really right for me so after 6 months I got fit into some Ping Gs, with driver and 3 and 5 wood. I also bought Ping Glide wedges and picked up a Ketsch putter from ebay.

>

> .......

> FWIW, equipment is expensive. Spending £2000 to fill a bag is an expensive purchase. But if you bag it for 5 years, it's not so bad. Is it getting more expensive? I'm not so sure. Yes, there's the boutique brands and yes, there's the high end products offered by certain OEMs. But you don't have to pay £1300 or more for a great quality, well fitted set of irons. You can get driver and irons for that and if you don't mind previous iterations, close to a full bag for the same.

Similar experience for me. Got back into golf about 5 years ago. Still had my DCI Gold irons, some wedges, and a putter, but no driver or woods. Bought a set of MP-32 irons for $100 and sold my DCI Golds for $50. Picked up an RBZ Stage 2 driver (factory seconds) brand new for ~$100. Then got a Callaway X2 Hot at the end of its lifecycle for about $150-200 and the XR hybrid on sale for $220 when it was current (2015). I bought a Cobra wedge for a $100 to replace my trusty rusty Phil Rodgers that I've had since about 1999 (?). So I'm sitting at maybe $500 cost in the last 5 years. I guess I should mention, that's CAD.

My problem now is I want to get fit and get more serious about my equipment. I know it's nowhere near optimized for me (my grips aren't even all the same size). So, I basically have to commit to buying new stuff to take advantage of a good fit. I'll definitely be avoiding the $700 new 2019 drivers, but even last year models are $400-500, while being a lefty means the used market is pretty slim. But, if you play a set of irons for 4-5 years, paying $1,000-1,500 isn't QUITE so bad.

Seems like there are those of us who gripe at the prices, and those who think nothing of it. I was just reading a thread on a new club release, and there are members there talking about buying multiple brand new clubs because they can't decide on the colour, and will just sell the other one once they've picked. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have to think that is always going to cost you even MORE money - golf gear doesn't exactly appreciate in value.

> @LifeStory said:

> all new 2019 club purchases include a bottle of lube.

Nice. Also should include a reach around. love the Vegeta avatar.

Epic Max LS 9* Ventus Black 6s / Cobra Radspeed 9* Tensei 1K 6x

Epic Flash 15* / Tour AD TP 7x and DI 7x

Sim Max 19* / DI 8x

Srixon Zx7 4-P

Ping Glide Stealth 52 (bent to 51)

SM6 - 56/10 (bent to 55/9)

Tour Issue LB Hi Toe 60*

Spider Plumber's Neck

TP5

• 4 months later...

> @MarkAJones said:

> I took up the game again about 3 years ago. I made my first bag up via ebay (Titleist irons and driver, Mizzy wedges - none of it a very good fit lol) but when the bug got me I bought some Adams irons. They weren't really right for me so after 6 months I got fit into some Ping Gs, with driver and 3 and 5 wood. I also bought Ping Glide wedges and picked up a Ketsch putter from ebay.

>

>

>

> I dabbled with a couple of crossovers too.

>

>

>

> I kept this setup for a year until I improved into some i200s and I switched to TM M1 driver and hybrids.

>

>

>

> So, it took me about two years and I reckon I "wasted" £200 on ebay purchases, £300 on crossovers and £350 on the Adams irons.

>

>

>

> I don't qualify the G irons or woods as a waste because they were fit and they were right for me at the time.

>

>

>

> I reckon I probably recouped around £400 from selling my waste so I'm around £650 down on expensive "mistakes". Throw in probably another £550 that I lost trading in the G equipment.

>

>

>

> Probably not bad by WRX standards tbf but the upside is, I have no plans to change my bag now. I'm officially off 13.4 right now but tbh I expect that to drop to 8 or 9 come the Spring comps.

>

>

>

> I think I can go lower, my target is to get to a 5 and I've promised myself if I do I will book in at TourX, pay £200 for the full bag fitting and get whatever fits me best from whatever is the latest and greatest. And that will be it. If I never get to 5 then I'll carry on with what I've got unless something breaks. Wedges may be the exception if they wear to a point it becomes noticeable.

>

>

>

> I'm 51 this year. All being well I plan to play well into my retirement but one thing is for sure, I don't plan on changing equipment any time soon

>

>

>

> I hit my driver far enough and unless there are rule changes, nothing is going to come out which will increase that distance enough to justify spending £500.

>

>

>

> FWIW, equipment is expensive. Spending £2000 to fill a bag is an expensive purchase. But if you bag it for 5 years, it's not so bad. Is it getting more expensive? I'm not so sure. Yes, there's the boutique brands and yes, there's the high end products offered by certain OEMs. But you don't have to pay £1300 or more for a great quality, well fitted set of irons. You can get driver and irons for that and if you don't mind previous iterations, close to a full bag for the same.

>

>

>

> However, if you have to have the latest driver and fairways/hybrids, the latest utility with superfill speedfoam jelly, the latest irons from Japan and the coolest Scotty/Betty putter, good luck!

>

>

>

> Not sure it will save you shots tho....

We've all been there, just realised I live very close....work even closer in hindley!

> @johnnythunders said:

> Never ever buy new. Golf clubs depreciate a lot, even with-in the same year. Wait at least a year and then they are resaonable.

So what's your recommendation? Buy used clubs that don't fit your sswing, go get fitted after the fact, then pay to have them reshafted? The time, effort, and expense of getting fitted _after_ you buy a set of clubs doesn't sound worth it and you probably don't save much money when it's said and done.

Unless you hop from club to club every year, depreciation shouldn't even enter your mind when buying golf clubs.

.75 USD equals 1.00 CAD

fluctuation of .73 to .78 over the past year.

700 CAD for a driver is roughly 525 USD right now.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Last thing I think I bought myself new was a set of Edel wedges that was a wedding present to myself, and even then that was now almost 8 years ago. My entire bag (sig), with bag was $650 CAN and there really isn't any weak pieces of gear.

Driver - $100 Kijiji

3wd - $60 golf forum

Hybrid - $20 ebay

Irons - $275 golf forum

Wedges - $100 ea online

Putter - $25

Bag - NWT SM ultralite Goodwill... $5

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

> @rxk9fan said:

> Guys, you act like it should be cheap to trade up from something like a Rogue SZ to the EPIC Flash. When you might gain 3 yards on drives, should that not be worth the $300 dollar difference? If you hit it 12 times a round and play 50 rounds a year then in 2 years you have gained 3600 yards. That is about 8 cents per yard. You pay $3 bucks for a coke at the pizza joint, $5 bucks per coffee at Starbucks, $150 bucks for a couple of phone lines each month, $70 bucks a month for some fast internet so you can read WRX, and no telling how much to get a couple of hundred TV channels (most you never watch)...so are club prices out of line all that much?

this hurt my head but...checks out lol

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @rxk9fan said:

> > Guys, you act like it should be cheap to trade up from something like a Rogue SZ to the EPIC Flash. When you might gain 3 yards on drives, should that not be worth the $300 dollar difference? If you hit it 12 times a round and play 50 rounds a year then in 2 years you have gained 3600 yards. That is about 8 cents per yard. You pay $3 bucks for a coke at the pizza joint, $5 bucks per coffee at Starbucks, $150 bucks for a couple of phone lines each month, $70 bucks a month for some fast internet so you can read WRX, and no telling how much to get a couple of hundred TV channels (most you never watch)...so are club prices out of line all that much?

>

> this hurt my head but...checks out lol

Now if only you could bank on having that driver perform consistently like all those products do... We can all agree that there is virtually no 'advancements' in materials in the past 15+ years outside of carbon fiber being cheap enough to add in, astetics is basically the same because that is what we want in appearence, otherwise there would be more square and triangle drivers so no R&D there. Basically nothing new in wedges yet they have become embarrassingly expensive (more so if you believe the abitrary number of rounds (not hits) Titleist wants you to believe they need to be replaced in.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line