Orange Whip - Worth It Or Skip It?

124»

Comments

• LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 742 ✭✭
    I have the SKLZ. I haven’t found a single benefit from it yet. I do see how it could help with tempo and transition, and I guess it is possible that if I swung it 50-100x per day over some period I could boost some swing muscles (or at the very least loosen up some of my tightness).

For those reasons, I’ve kept it. But I’m not optimistic that it will actually improve anything for me.

I’ve found the Eyeline speed trap to be the best training device for my swing, FWIW.
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,361 ClubWRX
    To each their own on this one. I am of the side that if it works go with it. If it doesnt, there ya go.
    Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra Pur 52/58 S200 
    Cobra Hosel neck Putter
    Snell 
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members Posts: 356 ✭✭
    jimb6golf wrote:

Is the SKLZ trainer just as good? It costs a lot less and might be an option.

I have the SKLZ gold ball trainer and was recently gifted the Orange Whip. I've read some posts stating that they're basically the same thing, but I don't think it's close. The SKLZ one has a much stiffer shaft and is not nearly as whippy. I think it's fine as a warm-up tool (basically like a weighted club), but I don't find any benefit for tempo and timing and whatnot. Honestly, I never felt the clubhead at all, which made the thing kind of pointless as a training aid.
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy driver, Aldila Rogue M-AX 75
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 Wood, Aldila Tour Blue 85
    Srixon Z H45 3 hybrid
    Srixon Z H45 4 hybrid
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 Milled S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway Mac Daddy PM Grind 58 deg.
    Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide, Rosemark 7Teen grip
  • clp34vmpclp34vmp Cancel that mead Members Posts: 252 ✭✭

jimb6golf wrote:

Is the SKLZ trainer just as good? It costs a lot less and might be an option.

I have the SKLZ gold ball trainer and was recently gifted the Orange Whip. I've read some posts stating that they're basically the same thing, but I don't think it's close. The SKLZ one has a much stiffer shaft and is not nearly as whippy. I think it's fine as a warm-up tool (basically like a weighted club), but I don't find any benefit for tempo and timing and whatnot. Honestly, I never felt the clubhead at all, which made the thing kind of pointless as a training aid.

I feel the exact same about the SKLZ. It's a good tool to warm up the golf muscles before you play, but I haven't really seen any benefit at all as far as helping with tempo or anything else.
  • hendog39hendog39 Members Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Love mine especially for warmup before round and grooving swing in my backyard
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,564 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 9, 2019 4:51pm #97
    hendog39 wrote:

Love mine especially for warmup before round and grooving swing in my backyard

agreed re warming up. if u are generally tight this is great way to warm up prior to hitting balls. I spend about 5 minutes stretching and using this thing and def feel better from first shot on.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
  • pingeyepingeye Members Posts: 1,239 ✭✭
    I've had the midsize Orange Whip for about three weeks now. Got this one so I could swing it in the house and not destroy my ceiling. Had Christmas gift money and really don't need any new clubs (don't kick me off GolfWRX).

So far I like it as it really helps with balance and transition. It's forcing me to focus on a balanced swing and not get fast from the top. Played for the first time Sunday and hit the ball really well as the swing just felt balanced. You can't swing it all out as you'll feel the weight take you of balance.
  • B_of_HB_of_H Members Posts: 262 ✭✭
    i find it does a great job of warming me up but it also exaggerates EE (which I fight a bit). I tried it once to warm up before a round and it really messed me up. I'm scared to try it again actually.
    Srixon z785 9.5* hzrudus black 75g 6.5
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* hzrdus yellow 76g 6.5
    P790 UDI 18* (all irons KBS tour 130x)
    Mizuno MP18 (7-Pw), SC (5-6), MMC (4)
    Vokey sm7 50*, sm6 55*, TVD-M 60*
    1994 Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport 35"
  • lenman73lenman73 Members Posts: 816 ✭✭
    I purchased one last spring and absolutely love it for a quick warm up before a round. I can't say if it has done anything besides help loosen me up, but that benefit alone was worth it for me
  • gamesgames Argue for your limitations and they are yours. WisconsinMembers Posts: 1,720 ✭✭
    I use the SKLZ Gold Flex for a warmup and as a "stiff arm" when I travel with my golf bag.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file