Rookie taking Wednesday Masters trip 2019 Help!

kenstl

I get to go to the Masters this year with my brother! First time for either of us to attend (53 and 63 yrs old). About the only thing we know at this point is that he will be flying in to Atlanta from Dallas and I from St. Louis. Super psyched about the trip

Our plan is to fly in on Tuesday, attend The Masters on Wednesday, head back towards Atlanta and play golf on Thursday and Friday and fly back Friday night or Saturday morning out of Atlanta. We would like to limit the number of days paying "Masters" hotel prices so help me out with some plans!

- would you recommend staying as close as possible to course Tuesday night before the event, Wednesday after the event or both? I have no idea what traffic is like to get in the event, other than drive time, how much more time should we plan to get to and in the event? Does is matter if we come from the west on I20 or should we consider staying south or east of Augusta to cut down on drive time?

- it looks like the par 3 starts at noon. what would you suggest for the "must see" or order of the day at the course?

- since it is a broken up day with the par 3 event, would you suggest putting out a chair at the par 3? do they let you do that on the par 3 course?

- do they practice in the morning?

- would love any suggesting for the events on Wednesday

- Lastly, what courses would you suggest we play as we get closer to Atlanta? We will probably leave the area and head back towards to Atlanta to stay and play golf in an effort to find "normal" pricing during the week.

Look forward hearing any suggestions! Thanks

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there for the first time last year - and started a similar thread. Find it - there are a lot of great suggestions/input.

First of all, it's celebration of golf. Prepare to see a lot of people really happy to be there. It really does feel special, and I am reasonably cynical about a lot of stuff that people hype. But the Masters was awesome, by far most enjoyable pro golf experience of my life (never been to Ryder Cup, but US Open and many PGA, LPGA tourneys)

Wear good shoes. I walked from 18 to 1, then 1 to 18. I was beat - it is a really hilly place. I went on Monday. Not packed so I really could enjoy the experience. If you can get dropped off, it seems better than parking. We got dropped off a couple of blocks from the entry and avoided a lot of traffic. It's BUSY even early in the morning.

Take a camera. Not a cell phone (not allowed)

Go to the gift shop late in the day after the crowds thin out a bit.

The food is over-rated. That famous pimento cheese was blah. (I'll duck for the incoming) But priced right. The food is cheap. The gift shop not so much. My favorite souvenir is the ball marker.

I wish I were going again.

Edit: PS: Congratulations. I know you'll enjoy it.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

The hotel prices really aren't that bad as long as you're willing to stay about 30 minutes outside of Augusta. For instance, my buddy and I usually stay at the Rodeway Inn in Thomson, GA or America's Best Inn in Aiken, SC. They're both about 25 minutes from August and we usually pay about $100-125 for a room with two twin beds.

If I were you, I would book a hotel 30 or so minutes away for Tuesday and Wednesday night. You should leave your hotel no later than 7:15am Wednesday morning. Which gives you 30 minutes for the drive back to Augusta and 15 minutes for parking (traffic and parking are not as congested as you would think, they're really efficient at moving cars in and out).

Gates open at 8am. Grab some breakfast on the course. Their biscuits are like every other food item there, cheap and EXCELLENT. After breakfast head for the big oak behind the clubhouse. From there you can witness the most beautiful vista in golf, Augusta National in all her glory.

From that spot everything sweeps downhill toward Amen Corner. I would head there first. My favorite spot on the whole course to put your chair down is right off the 13th green. It's quiet, shady, and you're no more than 50 yards away from the green. Plus you can turn to your left and see the tee shots on 14.

As far as the par 3 contest I'm afraid I can't help. I've never been on a Wednesday. I know the course is open for practice by the players before the par 3 but I don't know if it's open during or after the par 3 as well. They close the course at 6:30pm sharp. Before you leave don't forget your souvenirs! Buy yourself a good digital camera and take tons of pictures! After you leave the course have dinner at T-Bonz steakhouse. It's an Augusta tradition and if you're lucky you might see a player or two eating there as well.

Well that's about it. Whatever your expectations are for Augusta, I guarantee they'll be exceeded.

You will need to put a chair out for the Par 3 if you want a great seat close to a green. Sometime in the morning a line will start forming for access to the par 3 course so if you are planning to put out a chair and want a front row seat at one of the greens better be in line. If not there are spots you can stand and watch par 3 action, we preferred front row right off the green.

Drive time to the course if you go early in the morning is nothing. No brainer to stay Tuesday night but you won't avoid a higher price that night - so what. But, your post says this year and thread title says 2020 - better be looking ASAP if you want a room. Can't imagine you!ve put that off since last summer. If you are going (somehow) in 2020 then just a little early with the thread, lol.

With putting out a chair (if you care about a prime spot) you will lose some valuable time seeing the course and watching practice in the course. Have to make some choices, but you can key in some spots and still walk the course after the par 3, just may not be anybody playing.

Food is GREAT!!!!!! HaHa, couldn't help it!

Grab that chair early and save the rest of your merchandising until end of the day, your time is limited before the par 3.

Now, you may not want to watch the entire par 3, maybe a couple of key groups interest you or you'll sit there and decide it's not as exciting as you hoped, everyone is different. We checked the groups and decided that by the time Jack and Gary and Tom came through we'd vacate the par 3 after they putted. We were on 5 and walking out found a spot way up on the hill looking back through the trees that was good for watching the action on 9, so we decided to stick around and watch Jack finish and it was well worth it. If you are lucky enough to get a spot on the first green, for example, you may see a good bit of it and decide to take off and get in more on the regular course. We chose hole 5 and saw a hole in one! There are other holes that I think set up a little better for watching from the green back to the tee, but you can research that if you want, or others may chime in. And we could see action on the next green and another tee from where we sat. Closest I'll ever get to Nicklaus - it was awesome. Of course, Gary was trying to get a read and stepped right in front of the video I was shooting of Jack's birdie attempt - competitive b_______d, lol. He's damn lucky Nicklaus missed that putt!

Because Wednesday had so much going on we arrived on Tuesday late morning and then proceeded to Washington and bought tickets on the street and spent Tuesday afternoon and evening having a ball on the course, so there wasn't much we hadn't seen come Wednesday, and that's why we did that and it was the best money spent. As I said, we made that plan from the minute I got notice in the lottery and the idea was if the tickets were prohibitive we'd find something else to do (but my daughter knew there was no way I wasn't getting in on Tuesday, and she was right, lol - and the price was within the very arbitrary range I set, lol).

Also, if you want your pic, get that done early. Line moves faster than it looks like it will. Our plan was to get the chairs out early so when we headed for the pic line on Wednesday, I went over and found a volunteer and asked about the par 3 because it was roped off and was given an approximate time when folks could get in, which turned into a pretty good delay that day for some reason, so no guarantees about when you get in and how much time you'll have left after you put out the chair. We ended up with enough time to head back out to 13 and follow a group we wanted to see, then skipped over to 7, etc. but it was compressed. By the time the par 3 was over, most groups were wrapping it up if they played a practice round and we walked out 1, 2, 3, 4 and back around because we hadn't walked those holes - ghost town. Went back for merchandise, no problem, then got food and went to the range figuring there would be a lot going on like the day before - ghost town! I have some good pics of Jordan - pretty much the only guy out there late that day, everyone else had wrapped it all up well before evening/late evening the night before the tournament.

Lots of choices to be made if your only day is Wednesday.

Still a concern about your lodging. A lot of the places indicated they would be checking come December or early January for final confirmations on reservations and having you pay/taking your full and semi-refundable payment at that time so I still think you are way behind on finding a place to stay in or close to Augusta, and probably missed the best pricing for sure.

That's about it for my ideas, sorry to go on, but Wednesday is a prime day, but the par 3 attendance and how it affects players' practice routines can play havoc with getting a lot done, so good idea to plan and avoid panic when you get there! You want to just walk around and soak it in, not rush from place to place. We soaked!

I was there for the first time last year - and started a similar thread. Find it - there are a lot of great suggestions/input.

First of all, it's celebration of golf. Prepare to see a lot of people really happy to be there. It really does feel special, and I am reasonably cynical about a lot of stuff that people hype. But the Masters was awesome, by far most enjoyable pro golf experience of my life (never been to Ryder Cup, but US Open and many PGA, LPGA tourneys)

Wear good shoes. I walked from 18 to 1, then 1 to 18. I was beat - it is a really hilly place. I went on Monday. Not packed so I really could enjoy the experience. If you can get dropped off, it seems better than parking. We got dropped off a couple of blocks from the entry and avoided a lot of traffic. It's BUSY even early in the morning.

The food is over-rated. That famous pimento cheese was blah. (I'll duck for the incoming) But priced right. The food is cheap. The gift shop not so much. My favorite souvenir is the ball marker.

Blasphemy Sir, you stay in LA and leave the Pimento Cheese Sandwich eating to us Southerners.

Blasphemy Sir, you stay in LA and leave the Pimento Cheese Sandwich eating to us Southerners.

Yeah, wmblake!

That's nacho cheese.

Not a ton that I can offer that hasn't been said already. I stayed right on Washington Road just down the street from Magnolia Lane a couple years ago for like $120 per night (and we split it 3 ways too). That was on Sunday night (to attend the Monday practice round). And we probably booked the room at about this time of year. So based on that experience, I don't think the lodging is as scary as you think (unless we just got unusually lucky).

The drive to the free parking lot was only a mile or two but it took forever. There was a LOT of traffic. And that was just on a Monday. Our hotel was right next to the Hooters on Washington Road and that place was crazy. But I found that there's no better place to nurse a hangover than Amen Corner.

To the above point - we came up the freeway from the south Wednesday morning very early, took a right on the interstate headed east and pretty quick exited to the south and then right into the main Augusta lot, it was easy and took no time at all that day. I think we left the hotel around 6:30 a.m. and I know we were in the lot and parked in a very short time. We were surprised how short it was. Now, ended up waiting quite awhile in the lot before getting in, no big deal.

Now Tuesday late morning, early afternoon, taking the same route, the signs were up and flashing the exit and main lot were not accessible at that point and ended up at least one more exit to the east then back and around and found a large private lot to park in off Washington and south a bit and paid not much to park there, then walked up Washington. That took longer, but traffic kept moving. Those directions are general "south and east" but you can easily see it on a map. Can't speak to others, but our Wednesday morning commute was an absolute breeze, the Tuesday really busy time wasn't unreasonable.

Others' experiences can vary quite a bit with traffic.

Comfort Inn - Fort Gordon Hwy. is where we stayed in 2016. It was fine, all we did was sleep there, but the rooms were quiet and they got the Golf Channel.

Still rooms left there and quite a few other places looking at TripAdvisor, price range seems slightly higher than three years ago, but not wacky. I'd say get the rooms figured out soon!

The long commute in from elsewhere to save a little money makes for a long, tiring day and just adds an element you don't need for a group, IMO, when attending one day of a trip of a lifetime event. Again, IMO.

Oh man reading these... My Masters was a gift from my niece who lived there and we had a family reunion thing -

She has since moved. I told her and my wife that this experience was unique, that it could never be as great and that I was content with the one attendance.

Wrong!

I’d really like to go again. And again.

If you’re a golfer, no event celebrates golf like the Masters.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I get to go to the Masters this year with my brother! First time for either of us to attend (53 and 63 yrs old). About the only thing we know at this point is that he will be flying in to Atlanta from Dallas and I from St. Louis. Super psyched about the trip

Our plan is to fly in on Tuesday, attend The Masters on Wednesday, head back towards Atlanta and play golf on Thursday and Friday and fly back Friday night or Saturday morning out of Atlanta. We would like to limit the number of days paying "Masters" hotel prices so help me out with some plans!

- would you recommend staying as close as possible to course Tuesday night before the event, Wednesday after the event or both? I have no idea what traffic is like to get in the event, other than drive time, how much more time should we plan to get to and in the event? Does is matter if we come from the west on I20 or should we consider staying south or east of Augusta to cut down on drive time?

- it looks like the par 3 starts at noon. what would you suggest for the "must see" or order of the day at the course?

- since it is a broken up day with the par 3 event, would you suggest putting out a chair at the par 3? do they let you do that on the par 3 course?

- do they practice in the morning?

- would love any suggesting for the events on Wednesday

- Lastly, what courses would you suggest we play as we get closer to Atlanta? We will probably leave the area and head back towards to Atlanta to stay and play golf in an effort to find "normal" pricing during the week.

Look forward hearing any suggestions! Thanks

You've already had some great suggestions, so I will offer couple that haven't been offered yet:

1) The par-3 is fun for a little while, but I found that to be a really great time to just walk the course and take it all in. Very few players will be on the main course during the par-3, but I walked it from the first tee to 18th green and got some great pictures. I also got to watch some of the Committee setting the pin placements for Thursday, which was actually fascinating to watch. The par-3 is also a good time to head over to the range and practice green and watch players hit.

2) Buy a pimento cheese sandwich and a fried chicken sandwich. Remove the bun from the fried chicken sandwich. Open the pimento cheese and put the fried chicken patty inside. BOOM! Fried chicken pimento cheese sandwich!!!

3) Someone else said this before-but it bears repeating NO CELL PHONES!!!! If you want to take pictures you have to take a real camera. Fewer and fewer people own real cameras and just use their cell phones so I suspect a lot of people get caught on this one.

4) Parking and getting into the event is easy as can be. They really have this stuff down to a science and everything is very well marked. Lines will look long, but everything moves really smoothly and quickly.

5) Finally, you will want to take a lot of pictures, but try not to just see the course through the lens of your camera. Take some time to just walk around and take everything in rather than being concerned with documenting everything you see.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I need to get on the phone this week to nail down a place to stay. The prices you are quoting for rooms sound great, on my initial internet only search, I am not finding anything under $400 a night so I will have to make some phone calls. If I can find anything reasonable for two, ($250 or under), I'll be all in on staying as close as possible.

Interesting to hear that you cannot get on the par 3 course right away, that alleviates getting a chair out early AM on the par 3. Also interesting to hear that the main course is pretty empty during and after the par 3 course.

If I take a camera, can I take it in my small back pack case that I have or are back packs not allowed?

Thanks everyone, great suggestions!

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

Check their website (and you'll get all the current rules with your tickets). I just had a camera case around my shoulder, stuck my jacket on the strap when I got warm, didn't need a backpack but everybody has different supply needs.

In 2016 backpack was 10x10x12.

My camera case allows me to just reach down and grab it and pull it out ready to shoot.

Good on you!!!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I need to get on the phone this week to nail down a place to stay. The prices you are quoting for rooms sound great, on my initial internet only search, I am not finding anything under $400 a night so I will have to make some phone calls. If I can find anything reasonable for two, ($250 or under), I'll be all in on staying as close as possible.

Interesting to hear that you cannot get on the par 3 course right away, that alleviates getting a chair out early AM on the par 3. Also interesting to hear that the main course is pretty empty during and after the par 3 course.

If I take a camera, can I take it in my small back pack case that I have or are back packs not allowed?

Thanks everyone, great suggestions!

Yep, it's going to be $400 or more.

Great suggestions. We booked our flights and hotel for Tues and Wed nights. Now on to the golf! We are driving from Atlanta when we get in on Tuesday, so we will be looking to play a round of golf on Tuesday afternoon, Thursday and Friday. We will probably try to play somewhere between Augusta and Atlanta on the three days, vs trying to play around Augusta. I found a couple of lists of good public courses and I'll check those out, but if anyone knows of any nice public courses off of I20 I am all ears!

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

• 2 months later...

Less than two weeks away! Most of our plans are made, but I still need to book some tee times for Tues / Thur and Fri morning. Looking to play courses courses closer to Atlanta vs Augusta since other posts here had stated the courses near Augusta are very crowded. Does anyone have an courses they could recommend outside of Atlanta but within an hour?

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 

I am going for my 2nd time this year. I went in 2016 on Sunday. My father in law is coming with me this year for the Saturday and Sunday rounds. Just happy to be going again. I'm looking forward to just taking in the place instead of trying to take in everything in one day! Waiting on accommodations from a friend who has connections in the area. Just in case, any last minute lodging recommendations? By the way, its my FIL'S first time.....

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 9* Tour AD DI 60S

Callaway Paradym  AI Smoke TD 3 Wood 15* Tour AD DI 70S

Callaway Paradym  AI Smoke TD 5 wood 18* Tour AD DI 70S

Callaway Apex Pro '24 irons 4-PW DG Tour issue x-100 

Callaway Jaws Black Raw wedges 50* 54* 58* DG tour issue x-100
2014 Newport 2 Scotty Cameron putter
2024 Smoke Staff Bag

) Buy a pimento cheese sandwich and a fried chicken sandwich. Remove the bun from the fried chicken sandwich. Open the pimento cheese and put the fried chicken patty inside. BOOM! Fried chicken pimento cheese sandwich!!!

Best advice ever lol ... btw OP, skip playing golf and buy a pass for Thursday. You can play golf anytime.