Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Irons

JHag

I hit the J40 DPC's for the first time a few days ago. I was really impressed. I agree with the other posters. It is a great set of irons.

(Fade to Black). They are more forgiving then the AP2's.

I would have to agree. Plus, IMO, they look way better than the AP2s. Something about forgiveness in such a clean package that is appealing. No multi-material badges, designs, etc. to clutter it up. Tell me this doesn't look fantastic...Bridgestone_J40_DPC_irons_01.jpg?m=1343432445

Hands down, I would buy a set of these new in box if they came out now, I missed the boat!!!! Argh!!!!!!!!

beautiful clubs!

These are the nicest looking irons I’ve owned, and playing a nice-looking iron gives me more confidence. But I moved to the J15 DPF as I thought they’d be even more forgiving but they weren’t. So went away from Bridgestone to Mizuno JPX line (not bad looking in their own right).

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

The Mizuno 850 forged was my second choice.

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue, Ping g425 6h Tensei orange

Maltby TS3 7-Gap w/Xcaliber Rapid Taper 95/105

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

Well, I took them out yesterday for the first time and tried to get in some holes between the rain, lightning, and hail. First hole was an easy 5 iron to the middle of the fairway, 8 iron to the back of the green, easy 2-putt par. The second hole is a 170 yard par 3- a 7 iron lands on the front of the green, 2 hops, and...it...hits the flagstick, bouncing off to about 18 inches, easy birdie. I skip a few holes because the clouds are not so white and fluffy anymore and go over to the next par 3. It's 165 with sand in the front- I hit a 7 iron a little out on the toe. Knowing how I hit it, I expect it to be short of the sand. Nope! It clears the sand, lands on the front of the green and roles back pin-high about 3 feet away from the hole. I'm now 3 holes in with these irons and sitting -2. Not a bad first impression.

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

I have a nice set 5-PW with Steelfibers that I'm ready to part with--just too many sets of irons. If anyone is interested in a great deal, shoot me a pm.

PXG Gen2 0811XF LIN-Q Purple stiff

Mizuno STX 5W Fujikura Motore F3 70 stiff

Ping G425 4H Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 reg

PXG Gen 3 P 5-AW Accra i80 stiff

PXG  Forged 55* Accra i80 stiff

Cleveland CBX 2 Full Face 60* * 64*

PXG One & Done P2 Reflex Tour grip

Golf Pride Microsuede

• 7 months later...

I have both although I've only had the 40's for about a month. The j40 has a larger head, especially noticeable in the short irons. I don't particularly care for the look of the 9 iron or pw but it's not the end of the world. The j15 is longer due to stronger lofts. The j15 also has a much wider sole which has really impressed me. From a forgiveness perspective, I'd say the 15 is more forgiving on fat/thin contact while the j40 is more forgiving horizontally. They have completely different shafts so I can't give a good comparison there. My j15 have modus 120.. only club I've ever played with those shafts. J40 are dgs400 and are a flatter trajectory for me. All in all they're both great irons. I'd guess j15 are easier to find nowadays. Can't help you on the other 2 unfortunately.

Sold a set last year on the BST.

Add it to the long list of clubs I regret not having in the stable.

It’s the perfect iron for the player that thinks he’s better than he is...needs the forgiveness but can’t bring himself to hit shovels either because of aesthetics or pride....or both.

They do an amazing job of hiding the GI aspects built into them. And no stupid badges or color....and all packed in a b-stone forging.

It really is a legend. Right up there w/ the TM Miura 300’s. PCB’s. Maxfli black dots.....

What others am I missing?

Looks of a players club but performs like a game improvement iron. They are long heel to toe and have a pocket cavity for forgiveness but also have a thin top line, minimal offset and are forged. I haven’t found anything better so they’ve been in my bag for a few years now. I still get compliments on them after all these years.

d8fd000aefd5e5d3e54fb4c91b50f86d.jpg

Still playing my set of 4-Pw with Steelfiber i95 and added 3 J15 wedges. Great set of irons that are buttery soft!

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

I loved mine but sold them a couple years as I was bored and looking for something new. Probably the best irons I’ve ever owned or at least equal to my P790s I have now. Wish they would do a retro set and add a gap wedge.

Totally agree. They are the best irons of all time. Downsides are no gap wedge and basically no 3 iron (I’ve been looking for one for literally years). It theoretically exists but seems not to actually exist. If anyone reading this has a j40 DPC 3 iron I will pay a Kings ransom for it. There are a million j40 3 irons but no j40 DPC 3

Irons. I’d trade someone my mothballed set of 790s for one TBH.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I loved mine but sold them a couple years as I was bored and looking for something new. Probably the best irons I’ve ever owned or at least equal to my P790s I have now. Wish they would do a retro set and add a gap wedge.

Totally agree. They are the best irons of all time. Downsides are no gap wedge and basically no 3 iron (I’ve been looking for one for literally years). It theoretically exists but seems not to actually exist. If anyone reading this has a j40 DPC 3 iron I will pay a Kings ransom for it. There are a million j40 3 irons but no j40 DPC 3

PM sent.

I’ve got a nice one. Sent him a PM.

Responding now. I’ve been playing DPCs for a long long time and I’ve never seen one.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Bridgestone j40 DPCs... Gotta catch 'em all!

Already updated the sig and will post a picture of a complete set when it comes in. Thanks so much Rhump!

They've gotta be the best older / cheap iron out there I would think. I'm a sucker for a thin topline, just a little hint of offset and a lot of forgiveness.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Still playing my set of 4-Pw with Steelfiber i95 and added 3 J15 wedges. Great set of irons that are buttery soft!

Isn't Freddie still bagging this exact set up?

SIM 9 Degree set to 10.5 - AD IZ 6TX w/ TP adaptor - plays 44.5"

SIM MAX Ventus Blue 6S - std length

SIM Max 19 Hybrid HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist U510 4I - HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist 620CB 5I-9I - Modus 120X pured/hard stepped, 1 flat

Titleist 620MB PW & Vokey SM8 Raw 50.08F bent 1 weak, 2 flat - X100

Vokey SM8 Raw 54.10S bent 1 weak, 2 flat - S400

Vokey SM8 WW Raw 60 Low K bent 2 flat - S400

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Laguna Two - 36" 

ProV1x - #41

He may be but for some weird reason his seem to work better than mine.

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

I'm looking forward to a whole season with mine. With the Recoil 95's in there, these are some of the easiest irons I've ever swung. As someone mentioned above, the short irons could be a little smaller for my liking, but I'm dealing with it.

I'm looking forward to a whole season with mine. With the Recoil 95's in there, these are some of the easiest irons I've ever swung. As someone mentioned above, the short irons could be a little smaller for my liking, but I'm dealing with it.

How are your swingweights with the lighter shafts? I'm still loving these irons except my 5 iron.... I hate my 5 iron... but reality I hate ANY 5 iron I don't know why!

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

Can you comment on the Steelfiber i95's? I have a set of irons on the way w/ the shafts, I'll try them for myself but also curious as to your thoughts. I've used S300's for 20 years w/o any real issues...

How are your swingweights with the lighter shafts? I'm still loving these irons except my 5 iron.... I hate my 5 iron... but reality I hate ANY 5 iron I don't know why!

Haha I'm not a 5 iron fan either, something about that iron right in the middle...Love a 3 or 4 iron, absolutely love my 6 iron as well!

Yes, Couples is still using J40 DPC w/ Steelfibers. Says a lot about the J40 DPC's, phenomenal irons!!!!

Looks of a players club but performs like a game improvement iron. They are long heel to toe and have a pocket cavity for forgiveness but also have a thin top line, minimal offset and are forged. I haven't found anything better so they've been in my bag for a few years now. I still get compliments on them after all these years.

d8fd000aefd5e5d3e54fb4c91b50f86d.jpg

Absolute beauties! I have a very nice set in my collection, may break them out this spring...

I had a brand new J40 DPC and had to dump it due to buying too many other clubs. Yes, that was probably the biggest mistake, just should've thrown in the basement and forgot I had it, the thing was an absolute LASER at 20 degrees of loft!!!! And as easy as a 6 iron to hit!

It seems like they were D1 up to the 8 iron, D2 for the 9 and PW. I checked them before I built them, but I don't remember if this is absolutely correct.

I owned a set for a few years and just loved them. I skipped the J15 because I just couldn't deal with the turbo rubber. A good idea I guess, but terrible execution.

I just ran across a new set of the Tour B X-CBP's which is the current version of the DPC that they didn't bring to the US except in that whole bag thing they tried. These came stock with black PVD S Tapers and Multi compounds. I went to the range last night and hit them for the first time and I absolutely love them. I missed my J40 DPCs. Should have never sold them. The profile is very similar however the topline is slightly thinner on the Tour B. Otherwise very forgiving, that same 1020 feel, and plenty of distance.

If anyone is interested in upgrading there are still a couple of sets on the bay. I think the seller was Maplegolf. $399!

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

You don't often see a thread on an iron run 4 or 5 years, but hats off to this one for doing just that.

And of course being a true WRXer, I was intrigued and now own a set. A fellow forum member who lives about 90 minutes from me had a set with Steelfiber shafts so I drove before daylight to pick them up yesterday. He was a VERY nice gentleman and I think we could safely rate the clubs as a 9 or maybe even 9.5...a little chatter but VERY nice (Thank you Sir).

It was windy and wet and work was crazy but I had to hit them LOL. Lofts would have been pretty close to my current gamers (but were ordered 1 degree strong). The Mizuno MP18 MMC are my gamers and have the Recoil 95 F4 vs the Steelfiber 95 R in the J40 DPC.

So, I grabbed a large bucket of year old crap range balls, headed to the muddy, dormant bermuda range with a 7i of the MMC and 7i of the DPC to hit balls in the mist and wind. My only expectation was that in the back of my mind I wondered how 6 or 7 year old technology would hold up to more recent stuff. Of course it will take a lot more balls, better conditions, and a monitor to know but my initial outing was interesting:

I have played Steelfiber before and I find the R flex very close to the F4 flex in the Recoil. I will stick with that story. I also find the Recoil smoother and I can feel it load. The Steelfiber in contrast feels a little more harsh but on the plus side it also feels tighter in a good way and it is easier to control trajectory when needed. None of this changed vs when I have hit both shafts in other irons.

Now, for the irons themselves, the conditions probably played a role in some of this but:

The Bridgestone J40 DPC launched significantly higher than the MMC. Even significantly more than I would have expected from the loft difference in the two 7 irons. The degree of this difference really surprised me. As for distance, I was hitting with a pretty stiff wind at my back and the DPC was in the air so much longer that I am sure this contributed to it being significantly longer than the MMC (even though the MMC has the stronger loft). I will get on the monitor one day this week to see more about distance because yesterday's conditions added too many moving parts.

As for feel, it was nasty out (below 50 degrees with wind and drizzle) and nothing from either club felt like butter LOL. I am anxious to hit them inside and see who wins that battle. The MMC with the Recoil feels pretty darn good usually so anxious to see how the two irons compare.

Probably not many interested in this any longer, but I will update at least one more time when I get numbers from the monitor.

As for now, really no idea which I will play. I was set on the MMC for this year until I read this thread and found such a nice set. Both sets are really good looking. I think both sets will offer very consistent distances even if not the same. Which one is longest will have little bearing on which I choose to play. The deciding factor will be dispersion when hitting off of turf. I may not have that answer for a month with the lovely winter weather we are enjoying :-).

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD