SuperSpeed Golf training system

I tried to measure ball speed and it is hit or miss. I get some readings around 140mph, which I know are bad, but then got some that were 166, 165, 163 with crappy range balls when I set it up right and hit the ball directly over it. I was swinging the driver 115 - 118mph, so those ball speeds make sense.

The owner of SSR said that if anything, ball speed reads will be on the low end. So if I had 166mph with crappy range balls at a 1.45 smash factor, it will get me right at 115mph clubhead speed. Getting very exciting.

So here is my story of massive distance gains in 6 weeks. I gained about 40y of carry with my driver. Note I used to swing around 110mph 3 years ago, but last year's injury brought me down to about 100 - 102 mph. I am back up higher than ever and I would attribute those gains to:

50% of gains came from a conscious effort to gain swing speed. I.e. workout, get healthy, stretching, more working out, eating healthy, losing weight, swinging shafts, orange whip, etc. Buying SSR to get feedback on range. Swinging driver hard...

40% of gains came from swing changes. SSR was a big part in finding swing changes that work to add distance. But mostly just read a bunch of stuff on golf swing and found stuff that worked for me.

10% of gains came from SSG, but I am only about 7 or 8 sessions into it.

Here is my full story:

Went to Titleist Demo Day 2 months ago, was clocked at 99-103mph (most around 101mph). Absolutely depressing as I thought I was easily 105+. That is when I decided to get swing speed back.

Got SSR delivered at end of November. First swing on the range was 102mph after warmed up. I got to 104mph consistently and by the end of that day I was swinging up to 107-108 on my two best swings.

for the next two weeks I would go to the range twice a week and pound driver and 3 wood as hard as I can. It got me up to 113mph. A lot of that gain was due to swing change.

Then I started SSG program. After 4 sessions I went back to the range and was still in same 110-113 range, but got one at 114mph, so some improvement.

Did more SSG over next week, but made another major swing change and went back to the range. Now I was swinging 115 - 118mph. This was yesterday. Then went out to play 9 holes and since it was slow I took the SSR out on a couple of drivers. Clocked one at 113mph, and then next hole 115mph. My next two drives of the day were even better but no SSR. I carried the ball 285y laser measured in a neutral wind with 65* temps (soft ground, so easy to find ball mark next to ball into the hill).

Best of all my last 4 drives of the day were straight bombs with no side movement. First three of those were dead center of fairway and last one was a little right. But it went straight with no fade or slice at all. So ended up just off the fairway in right rough.

Today I played another 9 holes. Only pulled out the SSR once and clocked 118mph, and I carried the ball 290y on that drive. Tried reading ball speeds on the course, but couldn't get any good readings. Only got one good reading at 163mph, but that was a mishit and hooking hard (so I am very excited what my good strikes would be clocked at).

All in all, I am set with my latest swing change and finally figured it out. I am now going to attribute any of my future gains (if any) mostly to SSG and other fitness activities.

My goal now is to clock 180mph ball speeds. I will need to get over 120mph CH speed to get there. I am going to club champion for a fitting in a couple of weeks, so I will get some actual numbers to post here from Trackman. Maybe if I optimize my driver, I will get 300y+ carry. After all if my ball speeds are near 170mph, and Rick Shiels is carrying it 290y with 162mph ball speeds, then I should be carrying it 300y easily. It is a little cold though at 65*, so I am sure that I would be carrying over 300y in 95* summer heat.

I tried to measure ball speed and it is hit or miss. I get some readings around 140mph, which I know are bad, but then got some that were 166, 165, 163 with crappy range balls when I set it up right and hit the ball directly over it. I was swinging the driver 115 - 118mph, so those ball speeds make sense.

The owner of SSR said that if anything, ball speed reads will be on the low end. So if I had 166mph with crappy range balls at a 1.45 smash factor, it will get me right at 115mph clubhead speed. Getting very exciting.

I was told if you are near 12 degrees of launch or under, it should be very close to actual speed. If you are launching more than that, then it could read a few mph low, but remember that azimuth matters too. If you hit over it and your ball is a high push, but you know you got all of it, it could read quite a bit lower, like ridiculously low.

I just try and hit them low, and only record the ones that make sense to give me an idea of where my current swing speed is at. I throw out any odd high numbers, and all of the really low numbers from either bad strikes or push/pull/high balls.

It can be extremely hard to find a spot to put SSR such that you don't get club speed, especially if you are a high ball hitter. It seems you almost have to try and hit low in order to get any sort of reliable reads.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

So here is my story of massive distance gains in 6 weeks. I gained about 40y of carry with my driver. Note I used to swing around 110mph 3 years ago, but last year's injury brought me down to about 100 - 102 mph. I am back up higher than ever and I would attribute those gains to:

50% of gains came from a conscious effort to gain swing speed. I.e. workout, get healthy, stretching, more working out, eating healthy, losing weight, swinging shafts, orange whip, etc. Buying SSR to get feedback on range. Swinging driver hard...

40% of gains came from swing changes. SSR was a big part in finding swing changes that work to add distance. But mostly just read a bunch of stuff on golf swing and found stuff that worked for me.

Here is my full story:

Went to Titleist Demo Day 2 months ago, was clocked at 99-103mph (most around 101mph). Absolutely depressing as I thought I was easily 105+. That is when I decided to get swing speed back.

Got SSR delivered at end of November. First swing on the range was 102mph after warmed up. I got to 104mph consistently and by the end of that day I was swinging up to 107-108 on my two best swings.

for the next two weeks I would go to the range twice a week and pound driver and 3 wood as hard as I can. It got me up to 113mph. A lot of that gain was due to swing change.

Then I started SSG program. After 4 sessions I went back to the range and was still in same 110-113 range, but got one at 114mph, so some improvement.

Did more SSG over next week, but made another major swing change and went back to the range. Now I was swinging 115 - 118mph. This was yesterday. Then went out to play 9 holes and since it was slow I took the SSR out on a couple of drivers. Clocked one at 113mph, and then next hole 115mph. My next two drives of the day were even better but no SSR. I carried the ball 285y laser measured in a neutral wind with 65* temps (soft ground, so easy to find ball mark next to ball into the hill).

Best of all my last 4 drives of the day were straight bombs with no side movement. First three of those were dead center of fairway and last one was a little right. But it went straight with no fade or slice at all. So ended up just off the fairway in right rough.

Today I played another 9 holes. Only pulled out the SSR once and clocked 118mph, and I carried the ball 290y on that drive. Tried reading ball speeds on the course, but couldn't get any good readings. Only got one good reading at 163mph, but that was a mishit and hooking hard (so I am very excited what my good strikes would be clocked at).

All in all, I am set with my latest swing change and finally figured it out. I am now going to attribute any of my future gains (if any) mostly to SSG and other fitness activities.

My goal now is to clock 180mph ball speeds. I will need to get over 120mph CH speed to get there. I am going to club champion for a fitting in a couple of weeks, so I will get some actual numbers to post here from Trackman. Maybe if I optimize my driver, I will get 300y+ carry. After all if my ball speeds are near 170mph, and Rick Shiels is carrying it 290y with 162mph ball speeds, then I should be carrying it 300y easily. It is a little cold though at 65*, so I am sure that I would be carrying over 300y in 95* summer heat.

Interested to know what your focus was working out and swing changes? i am currently hurt and trying to get healthy enough to get back in the gym to get faster.

Here is my full story:

Interested to know what your focus was working out and swing changes? i am currently hurt and trying to get healthy enough to get back in the gym to get faster.

So here is the kicker about working out and getting into shape: In my experience it does very little to increase swing speed on it's own. But it does build a solid foundation to increase swing speed when you start swinging hard/faster.

3-4 years ago I used to work out almost daily with weights/heavy weights. I got much stronger and in better shape, but did very little to increase swing speed. So one day I decided to see how far I can hit the ball on the range, and boom all of a sudden I was bombing the ball.

I lost all of that swing speed over the course of the years mainly due to injury. This time around I have been doing more body weight exercises and light weights (but very slow movements), pilates, yoga, etc. and started doing a lot of cardio over the last 6 weeks too. So i am in best shape of my life. I would recommend low impact exercises like Pilates if you are injured. Now my core is way stronger than it ever was vs. when I was just lugging around big weights with some crunches here and there.

That said, getting in shape again did little to improve swing speed. It was a conscious effort to swing hard, do SSG, etc. that helped me gain distance. But without getting in shape, I am pretty sure that I would be injured by now. So you really have to get in shape to do SSG if you are in later 30's or older. Risk of injury is too high IMO.

As far as swing changes, I made a bunch. My backswing was short and to the inside and bent left elbow. I thought I wasn't flexible enough to take it back higher with straight elbow. But here is the truth: I wasn't strong enough to do that. So I worked very hard on being able to take a fuller backswing with proper form. Start backswing with shoulder turn and not by pulling your arms back. A lot of stuff I tried to see what works for me. May not work for everyone.

In the end, it was a lot of very hard work, commitment, and dedication to getting healthier, stronger, more flexible, better balance, significant cut back on booze, etc. Once I got the foundations in place, it was very easy to gain swing speed. But it took ~6 months of very hard work to build that foundation with ZERO swing speed gains, as I wasn't swinging harder at all. Wanted to get as healthy as possible before beginning any overspeed training.

On that note, yesterday at the range I clocked my personal best at 122mph and one at 119mph (most swings in the 113 - 118 mph range), which was higher than my previous best at 118mph. I also beat record ball speed by 1mph up to 167mph, but I am having a very hard time getting any good ball speed readings.

Edit: So if I was able to measure the ball speed at 167mph, and assuming a 12* launch angle, the cosine effect means actual ball speed was 171mph. At a 1.5 smash factor we are looking at 114mph, while a 1.45 smash gets me at 118mph. Therefore, my conclusion is that the SSR is very accurate at reading clubhead speed for my driver.

I would just like to say that getting in shape is a great thing and if done correctly, can only help your golf game and of course heath in general, but for those wanting to gain speed but with busy schedules, the quickest way to faster speeds is to practice swinging faster with a club or ssg clubs. Stretch well, work your way up so you don't hurt yourself and you will eventually become golf strong. Your hands will get stronger, your forearms, legs, and core too. I used to have lots of lower back problems because I have a desk job. Since I started swinging the club year round, my back problems have lessened by a very large degree (my core has strengthened), and I also don't get fatigued when hitting golf balls even full bore which is good for keeping your swing from fading after the first 9. Golf isn't an exercise to most people but if you go to the range and hit 100 golf balls hard as you can with the driver a few days a week, you will feel it and you will ache all over (in a good way). Of course, work your way up to that many balls, but you know what i mean. Just don't over do it first few times out.

Anyways I have mentioned this many times in here before but I do so to inspire new people that are reading this thread. I literally went from 105 to 125 just by doing the above. SSR is a must though to help you measure your improvements and give you the next number to shoot for. Hitting balls is a must too, otherwise having the confidence to hit that ball with that kind of effort on occasion will be a scary thought and you will unknowingly hold back.

Just my thoughts.

I just ordered SuperSpeed and a radar. Should receive everything in a week.

I don't know my exact numbers but I would guess my swing speed is anywhere from 105-108, ball speed anywhere from 155-160. The times I've used trackman my smash factor is usually around 1.48 and almost never below 1.45.

I would like to be at 115 swing speed and able to hit 170 ball speed. I'm all for more club head speed as long as I'm still efficient and getting 1.48 or higher smash factor. It would be a waste to swing 115 and consistently have a 1.45 smash factor; I'd rather swing 108 and have 1.48 and higher.

We'll see how it goes!

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

I just ordered SuperSpeed and a radar. Should receive everything in a week.

I don't know my exact numbers but I would guess my swing speed is anywhere from 105-108, ball speed anywhere from 155-160. The times I've used trackman my smash factor is usually around 1.48 and almost never below 1.45.

I would like to be at 115 swing speed and able to hit 170 ball speed. I'm all for more club head speed as long as I'm still efficient and getting 1.48 or higher smash factor. It would be a waste to swing 115 and consistently have a 1.45 smash factor; I'd rather swing 108 and have 1.48 and higher.

We'll see how it goes!

Just make sure you are comparing smash factors on the same launch monitor. Different launch monitors have different tolerances and measure certain things differently. You rarely, if ever, see a GC2 or GC4 display a 1.50 or higher smash factor whereas they are somewhat common on Trackman. I've been told that Foresight smash factors can be as much as 0.05 lower when compared to Trackman

A radar is a must, the feedback is the key. I'd say youd lose some gains by not swinging the lighter club FAST.

As I continue the journey I'm realising that swinging the lighter club at max speed is really targeting something different from the heavier club at something short of max speed. For clarity I'm trying to swing both max, but I hit max speed with the lighter one obviously.

The brain and muscles need to learn and train fast

This is 100% the key right here! My trainer, who trains some LPGA and PGA Tour players, just got done telling me this the other day. You’re trying to train your muscles to keep up with the body. It’s comparable to running down hill. The legs will move faster but it’s hard to keep up with the momentum of the body. If you can train yourself to run down hill and not be out of control, you will run faster on flat ground. Same with with swinging the lighter club.

I just picked everything up and look forward to getting started!

This is 100% the key right here! My trainer, who trains some LPGA and PGA Tour players, just got done telling me this the other day. You’re trying to train your muscles to keep up with the body. It’s comparable to running down hill. The legs will move faster but it’s hard to keep up with the momentum of the body. If you can train yourself to run down hill and not be out of control, you will run faster on flat ground. Same with with swinging the lighter club.

I just picked everything up and look forward to getting started!

Interesting analogy

Iv seen a few DIYs on here and wanted to do one myself. I created some speed sticks myself at home in my garage. Total cost was about $85 since I already had some supplies like epoxy, grip tape and all the tools needed as I'm I regular DIY guy anyway. I'll post some pics below with a summary of how I made these to exact specs.

First I found the overall weights/lenths on the superspeed website for an exact goal. I was wondering the exact shaft weights and found some good information here and started searching on Ebay for some cheap shafts. And it just happens that I found someone selling overruns of the superspeed shafts there. I reached out and got the exact manufacture with shaft weight and flex. (60g series, X flex). I then found cheaper xflex shafts in the 60 series and ordered them for $20 each. Along with some ferrules. And waited for delivery.

Then I decided that 1inch stainless steel would be the best/cheapes weight option and ordered 1ft of solid 304 stainless off amazon for $10

With the information gathered and most of the materials in all I needed was to get some grips, weigh them with the shafts, do a little math and I would be ready to make some weights. I already had grips but they were plain black and I wanted to stick to a similar color coded option. The shafts are black so I picked up 3 grips (red,blue,green) for $15.

So next I borrowed a scale from the lab at my work for a weekend that is precise to the gram. I found the shaft and grip combination to be about 120g with tape and ferrule. So that meant I needed the weights to be around or just under 135g, 170g, and 215g, to reach the overall weights of 255,290,335. Adter cutting 2 quarter inch pieces of stock stainless and drilling a hole in one of them I took some weight measurements to get an idea of the stainless weight and the weight with the core removed for shaft setting. With this information made it easy to determine what lengths to cut the stainless including a recommended 1.25" shaft set depth.

Next I cut the stainless to my rough lengths and weighed them. Drilled the shaft holes and weighed again. Made some final adjustments and then sanded them to about 1.5g under my original spec to account for the epoxy. polished them ready for glue.

Glued them yesterday and here they are!

Feel free to ask any questions!

Iv seen a few DIYs on here and wanted to do one myself. I created some speed sticks myself at home in my garage. Total cost was about $85 since I already had some supplies like epoxy, grip tape and all the tools needed as I'm I regular DIY guy anyway. I'll post some pics below with a summary of how I made these to exact specs.

That's impressive. Hopefully you enjoyed the process though...I would gladly pay the extra $40-$50 to get them off eBay!

Great job.

That's impressive. Hopefully you enjoyed the process though...I would gladly pay the extra $40-$50 to get them off eBay!

Thanks I always enjoy the process. but I would have considered just buying a set if i could find one for $120-$140 but i could not so i saved over $100

I paid $165 on ebay and it took me less than a minute.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

Could someone confirm that using the SwingCaddie 200 one can measure CHS without impact like SSG?

I have the Zepp 2 sensor but CHS is all over the place ...

It will not reliably read clubhead speed without hitting a golf ball. Sometimes it picks it up but rarely in my experience (which is with an SC100 but should be the same I think).

heres my in progress diy setup. had a bunch of extra cobra shafts so im using there adapters with a 10/32 bolt and some washers. used my kitchen scale to dial in all the weights so i got a -20%, -10% and +5% of my normal driver weight. going to epoxy to glue the bolts to the washers. then threadloc the bolt to the cobra adapter and will probably then either cover everything in flex seal or ducttape. radar should get here monday so ill start then.

Does anyone else get a lot of variability in their SSR speed measurements? I'm talking like 8+ mph difference between back to back swings during the same session...radar in the same spot, same weight stick, relatively consistent swing, etc. Seems strange and I'm not sure if it's a radar issue or if it's possible to lose 6-7%+ swing speed between two nearly identical swings. I feel like some sessions my swings are almost all within a 5mph range but yesterday I was getting crazy results the whole time. 118-124-128-114-126 type results. SSR is setup 8-10" further away from where the ball would be and maybe 6" forward of the imaginary ball.

Does anyone else get a lot of variability in their SSR speed measurements? I'm talking like 8+ mph difference between back to back swings during the same session...radar in the same spot, same weight stick, relatively consistent swing, etc. Seems strange and I'm not sure if it's a radar issue or if it's possible to lose 6-7%+ swing speed between two nearly identical swings. I feel like some sessions my swings are almost all within a 5mph range but yesterday I was getting crazy results the whole time. 118-124-128-114-126 type results. SSR is setup 8-10" further away from where the ball would be and maybe 6" forward of the imaginary ball.

I do, and I sort of just write it off to not having spent more than I did on the SSR. How accurate can it possibly be? The other variable, of course, is that I'm not hitting a ball, and so maybe on some of the swings don't focus as sharply as I intend to on just swing fast. That could pretty easily explain an 8-10 mph drop.

And really, to me at least, it doesn't really matter. I only pay attention to and record the single fastest swing in the last set. For me, that's enough to see if I'm making progress, which is going to be both incremental and slow anyway.

I haven't bothered to take the SSR to the range with me to see if my speeds register consistently similar. I've done several Trackman fittings and know that when hitting a ball, my swing speed doesn't vary much. Maybe I'll try that Tuesday when I practice.

With the cold weather, I've been doing it less frequently the past few weeks. I've noticed a decrease in speed, quite significantly I may add, when doing these tests in 20 degrees. I will say, I think it has something to do with the layers + temperature, but I will paraphrase with this: When tracking swings indoors yesterday, ball speed and clubhead speed remain more or less the same as they were 3 weeks ago. I probably did SSG 3x total the past 3 weeks, but when indoors, speed remains there.

I averaged ~125mph on the monitors with 1 swing at 129. Last session a week or 2 ago I probably averaged 127, with 130 peak. So if anything, I'm down 1mph, which could be the +/- on any particular day.

I am still ecstatic about the ball speed and carry distance increases I am seeing on the launch monitors. Again, I don't pay too much attention to carry on the aboutGolf monitors, except when comparing to my past numbers. A mishit now is going as far as a flushed Driver before starting SSG. Carry is up over 15 yards and ball speed up 6+ mph.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

I currently peak at 125 with the lightest stick. What balls speeds are you seeing when you peak around this?

For the 130+ guys where do you feel the speed comes from? Body, arms, hands, everything? I don't know if everyone feels this way but man, I don't think I've got anything left in the tank, my 125 peak comes at the end of the session and I'm leaving it all out there

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

I currently peak at 125 with the lightest stick. What balls speeds are you seeing when you peak around this?

For the 130+ guys where do you feel the speed comes from? Body, arms, hands, everything? I don't know if everyone feels this way but man, I don't think I've got anything left in the tank, my 125 peak comes at the end of the session and I'm leaving it all out there

Try resting for a while till your heart rate comes back down.

Makes a big difference.

heres my in progress diy setup. had a bunch of extra cobra shafts so im using there adapters with a 10/32 bolt and some washers. used my kitchen scale to dial in all the weights so i got a -20%, -10% and +5% of my normal driver weight. going to epoxy to glue the bolts to the washers. then threadloc the bolt to the cobra adapter and will probably then either cover everything in flex seal or ducttape. radar should get here monday so ill start then.

If using duct tape don’t you need to figure that in to the total weight?

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

I just wanted to chime in to say I haven't done my SSG training in over a month and I haven't dropped back down to my old speeds prior to. I have lost a little speed but I think that once I resume training in the spring, I will gain it back very fast.

Just starting this training. How much chs have you gained in how much time?

I just wanted to chime in to say I haven't done my SSG training in over a month and I haven't dropped back down to my old speeds prior to. I have lost a little speed but I think that once I resume training in the spring, I will gain it back very fast.

Just starting this training. How much chs have you gained in how much time?

It's tough to say how much was directly attributed to SSG, so I'll give you the full background.

February 2018 - Trackman measured my average CHS with driver to be about 102, with a max of 104.

September 2018 - Started SSG. Trackman had my averagr right around 104, I could max around 107.

November 2018 - GCQuad measured my average CHS with driver about 114, with a max of just under 118.

January 2019 - Trackman has me averaging around 106, with a max of about 108.

Keep in mind that GCquad is perhaps mildly more accurate indoors, but also over estimates CHS, while Trackman generally under estimates. So you can see it's very likely SSG gave me an average increase in speed of about 6-7mph with a maximum of maybe 12mph. Also, my maximum drive carry in November was about 305, whereas now it's gone back down to about 279-280. Some may be due to shaft (I'm not using the shaft I was fit into, which was a Raijin 64 or Accra Tour Z 465) being different, but I definitely lost a bit of pop. I think once I start again, I'll be back up to that 113-114 range.

Oddly though my ballspeed isn't that much down. At my Nov fitting my max speeds were in the upper 160s, and now my max is about 164 to 165. So... I've lost some, but I haven't totally degraded back to before I started. SSG works.