Odyssey/Toulon putters

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My apologies if this has been asked/answered before. Are these stroke lab shafts the same as those stability putter shafts that Barney Adams is pushing?

It is not. Everything I've read says that it is all about the weighting that makes it different. Removing weight from the middle and pushing it to the club head and grip.

I'm contemplating adding an Azalea to my arsenal but I have to say I'm not a big fan of all the Odyssey branding they added.

I understand that, but as someone that is in the industry and sells golf equipment, the average golfer doesn't know, nor wants whatever a "Toulon" putter is. It's much easier for Callaway to co-brand Toulon's with Odyssey and build off the back of the brand recognition they've built with Odyssey than it is to try and not do so and try to create brand awareness for what is essentially a totally new brand in Toulon by itself.

I'm contemplating adding an Azalea to my arsenal but I have to say I'm not a big fan of all the Odyssey branding they added.

I understand that, but as someone that is in the industry and sells golf equipment, the average golfer doesn't know, nor wants whatever a "Toulon" putter is. It's much easier for Callaway to co-brand Toulon's with Odyssey and build off the back of the brand recognition they've built with Odyssey than it is to try and not do so and try to create brand awareness for what is essentially a totally new brand in Toulon by itself.

Completely agree with this statement. We all have to remember, for the MOST part, WRX'ers are very particular(and ho's!) in what they like and want. Very detail driven and equipment geeks. This doesn't pertain to the average Joe that goes into a big box shop and buys something they pick up off the rack. They know "Odyssey" maybe because of watching Phil on TV and that's what may draw them in. Not the boutique branding with Toulon...And there are WAY more average Joe's than us, hence more revenue for Callaway.

Completely agree with this statement. We all have to remember, for the MOST part, WRX'ers are very particular(and ho's!) in what they like and want. Very detail driven and equipment geeks. This doesn't pertain to the average Joe that goes into a big box shop and buys something they pick up off the rack. They know "Odyssey" maybe because of watching Phil on TV and that's what may draw them in. Not the boutique branding with Toulon...And there are WAY more average Joe's than us, hence more revenue for Callaway.

Yes. I often wish everyone on enthusiast's sites like this could work in the golf industry with us some time and see what it's really like on this side. Then GolfWRXers would understand why manufacturers market the way they do, why there's not more forged blade offerings or sub-400cc driver heads, why most drivers sit with a closed face, why offset exists, etc. The extreme enthusiasts of most all hobbies are so far removed from the average participant in that hobby that they really can't relate at all. The golfing public as a whole has zero idea what a Toulon is or who makes it. By co-branding with Odyssey, it gets some instant brand awareness that equates to a sense of quality. Instead of having to sell every single potential customer on the Toulon story, just show them that it's a high end/luxury Odyssey. MUCH easier sell. And I sell Odyssey, so I know. LOL.

Yes. I often wish everyone on enthusiast's sites like this could work in the golf industry with us some time and see what it's really like on this side. Then GolfWRXers would understand why manufacturers market the way they do, why there's not more forged blade offerings or sub-400cc driver heads, why most drivers sit with a closed face, why offset exists, etc. The extreme enthusiasts of most all hobbies are so far removed from the average participant in that hobby that they really can't relate at all. The golfing public as a whole has zero idea what a Toulon is or who makes it. By co-branding with Odyssey, it gets some instant brand awareness that equates to a sense of quality. Instead of having to sell every single potential customer on the Toulon story, just show them that it's a high end/luxury Odyssey. MUCH easier sell. And I sell Odyssey, so I know. LOL.

I understand the golf business pretty well. I could get around the Odyssey branding but they just couldn't resist throwing a plastic medallion on a beautifully milled putter could they? They did the same thing with the new PM grind wedge. Got it 97% correct and then just had to throw a little piece of plastic on the back.

I understand the golf business pretty well. I could get around the Odyssey branding but they just couldn't resist throwing a plastic medallion on a beautifully milled putter could they? They did the same thing with the new PM grind wedge. Got it 97% correct and then just had to throw a little piece of plastic on the back.

We are talking about Callaway when it's all said and done. And if we know anything about Callaway, it's that they will put a plastic badge on virtually everything!

I don't know if I'll buy it, but I'm glad the Vegas has a flow neck and not a slant. I was initially in love with the 7s but, after a while, felt the slant neck was too slanty. I like the flow of the flow neck much better.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-)
PING G430 hybrid 22°, 26° (F-)
Irons tbd
PING s159 53W, 58B
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour yellow

I wish they would refinish in black

I'm not a fan of the black finish. There's something about a painted finish on a putter that I just don't like.

Be careful, let’s no confuse anyone. Odyssey’s are painted, Toulon’s are not. Black Pearl is a chemical process, not paint.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

This is so spot on. And even guys who work in our pro shop that aren't geeks, think I'm buying some cheap or fake brand when they see a Toulon or Evnroll box show up. It takes quite a bit of education to get them to realize it. Even then most are still skeptical.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I'm not a fan of the black finish. There's something about a painted finish on a putter that I just don't like.

Be careful, let's no confuse anyone. Odyssey's are painted, Toulon's are not. Black Pearl is a chemical process, not paint.

Are you sure about that? Based on the overspray it sure looks like it's a sprayed finish to me. It looks a lot like graphite black Cerkote.

Be careful, let's no confuse anyone. Odyssey's are painted, Toulon's are not. Black Pearl is a chemical process, not paint.

Are you sure about that? Based on the overspray it sure looks like it's a sprayed finish to me. It looks a lot like graphite black Cerkote.

Yes, I am 100%. The new finish is Charcoal PVD a process not paint. The same as the other finishes on the other Toulon’s. What you are seeing isn’t overspray it is where the head is held for the dipped in the tank. Hope that helps.

Yes, I am 100%. The new finish is Charcoal PVD a process not paint. The same as the other finishes on the other Toulon's. What you are seeing isn't overspray it is where the head is held for the dipped in the tank. Hope that helps.

There is no dipping in a tank for a PVD process. Looks exactly like it would if they were applying a coating like CeraKote.

I misspoke about PVD being dipped in this finish. But that doesn’t mean that it isn’t held in a fixture for the PVD process. No where in Toulon’s web site and brochures does it ever talk about their finishes being paint.

Rolled the Vegas flow neck this morning....they cannot take my money soon enough. Have played quite a few # 7's over the years but they always had an insert. The looks and feel of the milling was incredible. The Exo # 7 Mini wasn't bad if you wanted to save a few bucks.

what is the head size like on the Vegas, smaller #7 profile?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Rolled the Vegas flow neck this morning....they cannot take my money soon enough. Have played quite a few # 7's over the years but they always had an insert. The looks and feel of the milling was incredible. The Exo # 7 Mini wasn't bad if you wanted to save a few bucks.

what is the head size like on the Vegas, smaller #7 profile?

I want to say smaller than the current O-Works Black/Red line....but it could also be the finish making it appear smaller.

So much talk about the Vegas. I want some talk/info about the Palm Beach.

That is most likely the way I go if I do a Toulon, looks so good with the flow neck.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x