Honest BST question -- why remove asking price after sale?

e-man

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m thinking it’s actually against the forum rules to delete what it sold for?

I think you’re supposed to leave the price up for the exact reason you’re thinking.

Been a while since I’ve read them but don’t think this is correct. I think you’re supposed to leave the ad wording/content up but there are no rules about the asking or selling price.

I don't think people would overlook SOLD if it appeared in all capital letters and was immediately preceding the asking price. Maybe that should be a new rule.

They can and they do, which is why I always remove mine and replace it with SOLD.

Asking price and sale price aren't always the same either.

eBay sold items is what I use to gauge current market value

So why not just say SOLD and leave the price?

Like SOLD $400 o/b/o

I get not wanting to disclose what the selling price was but why remove the asking price?

Thats what I do in Bold RED, SOLD at the beginning and end.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

I am a seller who replaces my asking price with SOLD upon selling.

My answer would be; because the asking price is not always a reliable gauge of what the sale price may have been.

As others have said, check ebay completed listings for those guides.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

Just to wrap this up (this exact thread has shown up over and over again)

There is no rule stating it has to be left up.

Buyers will definitely ignore the SOLD beside the price and send Pm’s

The asking price usually is not what the item sold for

Check sold/completed listings on eBay for pricing help, or if you really have to PM the seller and ask what it sold for.

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

Check sold/completed listings on eBay for pricing help, or if you really have to PM the seller and ask what it sold for.

This same thread does indeed show up every few months, but I can't help laughing a little at the logic loop taking place... "The price is removed so the seller doesn't get unnecessary PMs. If you really want to know, just shoot the seller a PM to ask."

Not being critical of you or anyone else, just to be clear. It was just a bit ironic.

I wish sellers left them up as it is obviously useful, but since I'm yet to sell on here I have no standing to argue that it isn't a burden to do so.

OP here. I realize you can go on eBay to check prices. I'm just wondering why not leave the asking price up. I also realize that it's not the price the item sold for. But if an item is listed at $400 o/b/o and it sells, then you know that it didn't sell for more than that amount.

And sure, I could PM the seller and ask. But as the last poster said, if I do that, isn't that the same as sending him a message asking if an item is still for sale?

Also, if I'm observant enough to see the word $old, wouldn't I also see SOLD $400 o/b/o?

To each his own, I guess. When I sell on the BST, I leave the price up, insert the word SOLD in all caps, and I have yet to get a PM from someone asking me if the item was still available. Admittedly, I don't sell more than a handful of things on the BST each year.

And pm’s for selling price should be the last resort after simply checking eBay sold/complete.

This same thread does indeed show up every few months, but I can't help laughing a little at the logic loop taking place... "The price is removed so the seller doesn't get unnecessary PMs. If you really want to know, just shoot the seller a PM to ask."

Not being critical of you or anyone else, just to be clear. It was just a bit ironic.

I wish sellers left them up as it is obviously useful, but since I'm yet to sell on here I have no standing to argue that it isn't a burden to do so.

The number of PM’s asking for the selling price will be 1% of the PM’s from buyers that don’t notice the SOLD. Seriously I think I get more offers after the sold goes up than before.

Pm’s Asking selling price should be a last resort.

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

Rule 6 says you aren’t su-ppsed to delete content. So, indeed, deleting list price, or anything else besides pictures, from sold ads IS a violation.

“DO NOT DELETE THE CONTENT OF YOUR LISTING WHEN YOU SELL AN ITEM OR CLOSE THE LISTING. Closed listings will be moved to the BST Archive Forum for future reference. You may, however, delete the photograph attachments to listings.‘

If you had a list price, which is required also, it is included in the “content of your listing”

People deleting prices after sale are in violation and should be reported and listing privileges revoked.

Rule 6 says you aren’t su-ppsed to delete content. So, indeed, deleting list price, or anything else besides pictures, from sold ads IS a violation.

“DO NOT DELETE THE CONTENT OF YOUR LISTING WHEN YOU SELL AN ITEM OR CLOSE THE LISTING. Closed listings will be moved to the BST Archive Forum for future reference. You may, however, delete the photograph attachments to listings.‘

If you had a list price, which is required also, it is included in the “content of your listing”

People deleting prices after sale are in violation and should be reported and listing privileges revoked.

I think you are wrong.

They even mention you can delete pics, so if anything, they are implying the original content is not make or break in case of dispute.

edit: it actually it does say don't delete when you sell an item, so I'd say this is up for interpretation.

I don't have time to get to a computer, go into full mobile mode, do a fancy strike through, just to get more offers than I did before the sold.

Dunno why you think we should have our privileges revoked lol. But different strokes I guess

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

People should be reported and have their listing privy revoked? You can’t be serious? Bottom line is, it is nobody’s business other than the buyer’s and seller’s what an item sells for or is listed for. I can’t believe the actions some of you want taken against fellow members so people will conform to what you want for your own personal gain. It’s a shame to see such selfish attitudes on here.

Also, nowhere does it state to leave the price. That is your interpretation

People should be reported and have their listing privy revoked? You can’t be serious? Bottom line is, it is nobody’s business other than the buyer’s and seller’s what an item sells for or is listed for. I can’t believe the actions some of you want taken against fellow members so people will conform to what you want for your own personal gain. It’s a shame to see such selfish attitudes on here.

It's no one's business what an item is listed for? Isn't that the whole point here? If it's no one's business what an item is listed for, why require an asking price per the BST rules?

Again, if you notice the word $old, why wouldn't you notice SOLD $400 o/b/o?

Your answer to the question you repeatedly keep asking has been given numerous times by different members. I don’t understand why it isn’t getting through to you. You don’t do much on the bst just going off your feedback number. And no, I’m not knocking you for that. Start selling on here more and you’ll understand what people have been telling you. If the price remains the messages continue to come regardless of SOLD being stated. I’m not going to change the way I do things because you want to know the asking price of an item.

Dont have time to read to the comments but I think think some people who remove the price do it because they sold it for an amount different than what they asked and do not want to set a standard for difference.

Example being, if I ask $200 OBO and sell it for $150, I am not going to leave $200 because that's false but I don't want to update it to $150/SOLD because I don't want people thinking they can all offer me down 25% on future items.

It's no one's business what an item is listed for? Isn't that the whole point here? If it's no one's business what an item is listed for, why require an asking price per the BST rules?

Again, if you notice the word $old, why wouldn't you notice SOLD $400 o/b/o?

The only people's whose business it should be are moderators in case of dispute. And they wouldn't care about the listed price, they would look to the messages for the agreed final sale price in my opinion. If you can't relate to this, it is what it is.

And as everyone is pointing out, there are multiple not-shady reasons to remove the listed price.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

All of those reasons go against item 6 of the BST bylaws. Don’t shoot the messenger. Just read the bylaws. By erasing the price after sale you are going against the rules set forth by golfwrx.

And not to brag, but every time I’ve gone against the various WRX rules I’ve been banned/suspended. I’d just like that punishment dealt out fairly to others that work outside WRX rules. By WRX not suspending people who remove pricing info, which is a clear violation, I feel they aren’t handing down punishments fairly.

A listing had a price to begin with, because it had to. Then it’s sold and the price is removed. It’s pretty easy to tell that the content of that listing has been deleted. At that point the seller should be entered into the warning system, have to acknowledge the warning, then get banned when in violation a second time.

Just like any other rule at WRX. Just my opinion for a fair system.

I have cut and pasted the rules below. The only one I see below is that all items must include a sell price. If this item is now sold, it is no longer a listed and available item so I don't think it would need to include a sell price. An asking price is no longer needed after an item sells as it no longer counts in your 10 items listed.Could be wrong, but if they start banning people for removing prices, this place will be as slow as The Sand Trap.

LISTING RULES

• No selling of items won through GolfWRX Offerings, Contests or Testings.
  • The BST is for personal use only. Items may not be listed for your business or “for a friend”. There will be absolutely no unauthorized commercial postings, bulk selling, or liquidations of inventory.
  • Listed items must be golf related. Clothing must be golf clothing, dress shirts/pants etc are not considered permissable for the BST. However, electronics that are commonly sold in golf stores - such as portable golf speakers, golf GPS and laser rangefinders and accesories commonly used to record your swing - are acceptable. Determination of what items are "golf related" is in the sole discretion GolfWRX Marshals and Management.
  • All items must include a sale price, including items listed “For Trade”.
  • All items must include in-hand photographs that clearly show the items being listed. Small or blurry images in your Listing may cause it to be removed without warning. No watermarked images from Ebay or similar type hosting services are allowed.
  • Members are allowed ONE open listing with a maximum of 10 items. All individual items count as one “item” – selling in lots is not permitted. The only recognized exceptions are: a. Matched iron sets up to 10 irons – wedges, even when sold as a set, count as individual items; b. Matched grip sets up to 13 grips - only ONE GRIP SET PER LISTING; c. Matched sets of iron shaft pulls up to 10 shafts; d. Golf balls in original packaging (Dozen or 15-pack = one item per pack) – balls sold as individual sleeves count as one item per sleeve. Loose lots of golf balls (used or new) are not allowed.
  • No item may be relisted within 30 days of the start date of the original listing.
  • Members are entitled to only one listing per 24 hour period. Members must wait 24 hours from the time they close one ad before they are allowed to open another one. Violations will be deleted without warning.
  • Absolutely no selling of new uninstalled shafts. Shaft must be butt cut or tip cut, prepped and tipped.
  • Absolutely no negative comments regarding sellers’ asking prices.
  • No advertising of "Gifting" or other means to circumvent payment service fees.

The mods have posted about this numerous times in one of the many threads that have some up about this. They stated that it is ok to delete the price of a sold item but no the pics or any of the other content until the item is received and accepted by the buyer

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06