Thoughts on why people are walking away from the game...

It is a market correction.

You will soon have Higher end clubs and Privates, and lower end blah.

Just like what you have in the Club market- the Ball Market Etc.

Who's to blame ? Anyone who cried for years that we need to 'Grow the Game'. Then went about building too many courses, depending on cart revenue and worried more about Course Logos, Mission Statements & Signatures Holes- above....... PLAYING GOLF to enjoy.....rather than have it be a status.

I've played courses coast to coast....US Open Tracks to farm fields with flagsticks...

Do yourself a favor. Find a not so perfect course..pay the cheap greens fee...and walk it....

You might be shocked how much you enjoy it.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it is the 5+ hour rounds. I try to play early as possible but typically those are for the members / member scrambles. I am a member at a course but it is not private. I will not be renewing once my year is up. I have played with these members before but I am not a fan. Lots of drinking at 730 in the morning and typically play for big money. I love to drink and play for money, however I do not typically drink that early and play for big money. So I have typically play behind these groups and the rounds are 5+ hours easily. All the other public courses in the area are typically 5+ hours. The only private course in the area that is affordable is nothing. The other private courses in the area are 70k initiation fees, with at least 1,200+ monthly dues. My wife and I make great money, but would never drop that type of money just to join a club. I still play a good bit since I do not have any kids, but if I do have a kid I could definitely see myself cutting down on the numebr of rounds.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

For me it is the 5+ hour rounds. I try to play early as possible but typically those are for the members / member scrambles. I am a member at a course but it is not private. I will not be renewing once my year is up. I have played with these members before but I am not a fan. Lots of drinking at 730 in the morning and typically play for big money. I love to drink and play for money, however I do not typically drink that early and play for big money. So I have typically play behind these groups and the rounds are 5+ hours easily. All the other public courses in the area are typically 5+ hours. The only private course in the area that is affordable is nothing. The other private courses in the area are 70k initiation fees, with at least 1,200+ monthly dues. My wife and I make great money, but would never drop that type of money just to join a club. I still play a good bit since I do not have any kids, but if I do have a kid I could definitely see myself cutting down on the numebr of rounds.

Good lord...you don't have any 50$ courses in Charleston?? Not picking on you..just seems really expensive.

edit: just to be clear 50$ is expensive around me...lol.

The magic is that anyone plays golf at all, really, especially with younger people. Bachelor's often have more pressing concerns. I don't blame them. Young fathers don't have time. Can't blame them. Middle-aged guys are tied up with work, kids, household chores and other stuff. Nothing you can do about that.

The real question is why more women don't play and why more courses don't go out of their way to encourage the business. The reality of that issue is all the more uncomfortable in an age where people are increasingly aware of health and fitness.

Realistically, golf should be a win for women. They're naturally more flexible. That's a big plus in golf. Many women enjoy hiking and could probably get on with the outdoors-y nature of the game (many might even prefer to walk).

If I ran a course, I'd consider just allowing women to play for free to encourage the business and to try and break up the stuffy, single-sex nature of the clubhouse. If anything, I think many in society have just moved on from that. Most guys don't want to work or hang out with just other men. It feels increasingly weird. I would much rather enjoy the company of a mixed crowd.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Because you become a pretentious ***** after you spend years of your life trying to perfect such a horrible game that we all apparently love...there are generally no awards for anyone on this message board at the end of a round so we are all just a bunch of guys chasing a ball around a field. With that being said...can't wait to play this weekend.

I stick with golf because the game is like living a luxurious fantasy, where you gleefully play an expansive lawn game while the rest of the world hurries by. If it wasn't for the club hurling and vein-busting primal expletives, it would be almost idyllic. Then again, there is the beer and peeing in the woods.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

For me I think it's mentality...

I believe the difference between getting good and staying like 90% of the amateur golf population is winning the mind game.

Any time I play with higher handicappers I see this a lot. They'll hit a great drive or string a birdie and a few pairs together and then have a blow up...

Usually they'll carry that for 3-4 holes afterwards and nearly always mess up those as well.

Rarely do I see this with low handicappers.

What I see with them me included is patience. I'll often start a round with a few bogies on the front 9. But I never let it get to me. I take it on the chin telling myself your in a new scrap now. Staying in the buffer. If you get a bird or two along the way your in the driving seat again...

There aren't too many higher handicappers that think that way (no disrespect) but I've often seen lads with 12-18 handicaps thinking they should be shooting gross par on every hole. That's fine if you know you can do it but there are many low lads that don't think that way...

A lot comes down I think to the 6" between the ears.. I believe if you can win that game then everyone has the ability to lower their handicap..

I can pretty much guarantee that if I caddied for a CAT 3 or 2 golfer even for that sake I could save them a few shots a round just by managing their way round the course better.

The ability to play in the moment in my opinion is very undervalued. Ego "HAS" to be put to one side when playing this game.

I also believe that some not all fall for marketing and advertising. All you have to do is youtube clips of drivers that are 6-8 years old and put them against modern equipment which Rick Shiels has done and there's hardly no difference.

Ok if you have the money by all means bit what you want but I can tell you now it won't guarantee you a lower handicap or a better game.

There's no point in buying a driver that "claims" to give you another 25 yards if your only hitting 5 greens a round.

Or buying lower spinning irons that claim to give you more yards when the only difference between that and an iron from 5 years ago is the number stamped on the sole and a half inch longer shaft...

The sooner people wake up to all this the better.

Also as has been said in some posts there are a lot more distractions these days.

If your lucky enough to take the game up at a young age while living at home with no responsibility only to put your underwear on the right way round in the morning once you get through collage or find a job you'll start to loose a bit of that free time, roll on another 10 yes into your mid 30's your probably after getting a mortgage and are about to start a family.

With all this new found responsibility that wasi there before something has to suffer and it's usually a luxury of some sorts. Gym,social life, holidays abroad, golf. When you once had the whole pizza to yourself you now find that it has to be shared out. .

For me I think it's mentality...

I believe the difference between getting good and staying like 90% of the amateur golf population is winning the mind game.

Any time I play with higher handicappers I see this a lot. They'll hit a great drive or string a birdie and a few pairs together and then have a blow up...

Usually they'll carry that for 3-4 holes afterwards and nearly always mess up those as well.

Rarely do I see this with low handicappers.

What I see with them me included is patience. I'll often start a round with a few bogies on the front 9. But I never let it get to me. I take it on the chin telling myself your in a new scrap now. Staying in the buffer. If you get a bird or two along the way your in the driving seat again...

There aren't too many higher handicappers that think that way (no disrespect) but I've often seen lads with 12-18 handicaps thinking they should be shooting gross par on every hole. That's fine if you know you can do it but there are many low lads that don't think that way...

A lot comes down I think to the 6" between the ears.. I believe if you can win that game then everyone has the ability to lower their handicap..

I can pretty much guarantee that if I caddied for a CAT 3 or 2 golfer even for that sake I could save them a few shots a round just by managing their way round the course better.

The ability to play in the moment in my opinion is very undervalued. Ego "HAS" to be put to one side when playing this game.

I also believe that some not all fall for marketing and advertising. All you have to do is youtube clips of drivers that are 6-8 years old and put them against modern equipment which Rick Shiels has done and there's hardly no difference.

Ok if you have the money by all means bit what you want but I can tell you now it won't guarantee you a lower handicap or a better game.

There's no point in buying a driver that "claims" to give you another 25 yards if your only hitting 5 greens a round.

Or buying lower spinning irons that claim to give you more yards when the only difference between that and an iron from 5 years ago is the number stamped on the sole and a half inch longer shaft...

The sooner people wake up to all this the better.

Also as has been said in some posts there are a lot more distractions these days.

If your lucky enough to take the game up at a young age while living at home with no responsibility only to put your underwear on the right way round in the morning once you get through collage or find a job you'll start to loose a bit of that free time, roll on another 10 yes into your mid 30's your probably after getting a mortgage and are about to start a family.

With all this new found responsibility that wasi there before something has to suffer and it's usually a luxury of some sorts. Gym,social life, holidays abroad, golf. When you once had the whole pizza to yourself you now find that it has to be shared out. .

Agree with most of this. The 6" mind-control game can be applied to many areas in life--getting ahead at work, increasing your skills, even enjoying life and family. Distractions are only distractions if you give them power and importance. You're right about people in my handicap crumbling. I've shot 3 birdies in a row, then 3 doubles. I have only myself to blame, however it doesn't help when the 36-capper driving the golf cart needles me with remarks meant to throw doubt on my game "Can't believe you're three under, it's not like you AT ALL. ...Bet you screw up the next hole...." etc. The group I played with (not anymore) thought it very funny to "bust chops" and ultimately ruin someone's day. That said, I still took their money.

I always play better when I play with better players. Better players not only respect their game and take it seriously, but they respect yours, as well. To me, that is the essence of golf. Many issues people have are self-generated, negative, not confidence building. Saying things like "I knew I'd screw up that shot." "Never could putt well." Even "Of course he had to show me up by sinking his putt." Not good.

I greatly improved my chipping game when I decided that my goal was not to sink the chip, but to never three-putt (I consider the first chip a putt).

Growing up privileged or wealthy, like Justin Thomas with a golf pro country club father, certainly doesn't hurt. But you have to be exposed to regular "street guys" too, how they talk, friendly ribbing, etc. College golf can certainly help in that area.

All that said, yes, there are distractions in every day life. These distractions surround everything we do. My suggestion is to commit to the three top things that are the most important and fulfilling to you personally and start there. Focusing on any of them seems much easier.

And a big "yes" about falling for marketing and advertising. The club doesn't swing the golfer. Last year, I tried four nearly new drivers (I hit a 2007 Burner) and was shocked when, test after test, showed me virtually no gains. They were lighter and bigger, but would make zero difference in my bag. Then I tested some super game improvement irons, thinking they'd give me an edge. Maybe they did better with mishits than my MP-53s, but they felt terrible and, frankly, I felt "dirty" just looking down at them.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

I don't know how many real or avid golfers are leaving the game, but I am sure there are not nearly as many people starting or taking up the game as there used to be. I am sure there are many factors but I am certain one factor is that not only are NO new courses being built anywhere but rather existing courses are shutting down and being closed. In the metro area I live in I could easily list 20 courses that have closed in the last 15 years (some were excellent tracks and some were small munis). Also........Every town used to have at least one 9 hole course and those were affordable and great for beginners. Most of those courses are gone.

The "Growing the game" subject is humorous to me because often the people I hear talking about it are the talking heads and instructors on TV and radio That charge several hundred dollars per hour. I would too if I had their skill set--I don't blame them. But........don't pretend you're growing the game at that rate.

I don't know how many real or avid golfers are leaving the game, but I am sure there are not nearly as many people starting or taking up the game as there used to be. I am sure there are many factors but I am certain one factor is that not only are NO new courses being built anywhere but rather existing courses are shutting down and being closed. In the metro area I live in I could easily list 20 courses that have closed in the last 15 years (some were excellent tracks and some were small munis). Also........Every town used to have at least one 9 hole course and those were affordable and great for beginners. Most of those courses are gone.

The "Growing the game" subject is humorous to me because often the people I hear talking about it are the talking heads and instructors on TV and radio That charge several hundred dollars per hour. I would too if I had their skill set--I don't blame them. But........don't pretend you're growing the game at that rate.

I agree with much of this post. Every industry has an echo chamber of "grow the game" type rhetoric and it's mostly "insure we continue to have jobs" and "hopefully we'll get paid more" as an incentive.

If you watch TGC and read the magazines it would appear that the only expanding market for golf is a guy over 40, who worked 60+ hours a week for the last 20 years, and was just told by his doctor to find something to get some exercise or his heart's going to quit. Evidently walking from the cart to the tee and the cart to the green is pretty good exercise not to mention the marathon efforts of a cart path only day.

Unfortunately, the smaller mom and pop type public courses are exactly the ones that got hit by the downturn and that we're losing. I think the best case scenario would be if some of those got sucked up by municipal and state governments and run as a non-profit. If you provided some level of maintenance you could make the greens fees affordable and just not keep a lot of carts around and make them expensive. You would encourage walking golf or no golf.

The reason the industry comes off sounding so hollow is the deep connection to the pro game and no encouragement to walk and get exercise. I know a lot of guys around where I live that play 4 or 5 times a week out of a cart, but they go to the gym to get exercise. It's more likely to see "golf related exercises" on TGC than any encouragement to forego the cart.

A more pertinent question is : why aren't more people walking into the game?

The avant-garde approach. I like it.

I think the game isn't "shocking" enough.

Example: what would get more hits?

A turtle being run over by a tractor tire, or a well struck 7 iron.

I walked into the game once when I was in short pants. Got hit in the forehead with someone's back swing.

I once ordered a roasted poultry dish on the turn, only to be told it would take 35 minutes to prepare. I waited 20 minutes and then gave up. After proceeding to hole #10, I then got caught behind a very slow group. Suffice to say the back nine was henless.

Back when I was studying existentialism I ordered a coffee without cream at the halfway house, only to be told they had no cream. Instead I ordered it without milk.

It's a beautiful game, and there will always be plenty of golfers and courses.

Maybe the game is right sizing?

Dedicating this much land to a sit-down athlete's elite "sport" will last as long as the golf industry makes big profits and pays big taxes. "Grow the game" to me means grow the income. If we hear that people are "leaving the game" that means a consumer segment isn't spending as much as it used to on equipment, travel, fittings...the list is endless and growing.

I don't care if a golf company makes money or what millionaire is paid to play their latest clubs--today's publications are full of it. I play golf because of the love of the game, of natural beauty, of challenging myself to get the ball in the hole before nature stops me, of having a close time with everyone I play golf with to enrich our lives and memories, of immersing myself in a pursuit that is elemental to the quest of life.

I ask you, when did any golf publication or media show try to sell you on those ideals? Not in decades.

Are people leaving the game then? No. The game is leaving them.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

If I wanted to encourage people I'd make golf easier.

I would:

- Make my course short.

- Make my greens flatter and a bit slower.

- Assemble 6 holes instead of 9.

- Offer range memberships to anyone interested.

- Help newer golfers network to find partners.

That's what golf would be doing if it were progressive and really wanted to grow itself. But that isn't what we get. We get courses that are greener, longer, and altogether tougher. We get courses designed around the golf cart. We get expensive monthly membership rates which promote "country club" amenities. And virtually nobody reaches out the newbie to get him/her involved with other new players. So you're either playing by yourself or with the few people you happen to know.

We're left with a world where the only people who play, do so because they knew someone and were really dedicated.

I began at an el-cheapo range near me that welcomed everyone. As long as you had $10 you could hit some balls. You might be terrible but that's no problem. But with most places like that closing up in favor of selling the land and developing it for something else, I doubt that experience will continue.

Same old song and dance. What used to be cheap and easy is now painful, over-engineered and expensive. The truth is that few people here are any more "old-fashioned" or "dedicated" than most folks. Golf is great--if you can afford it. Golf is great--when you can fit it in your schedule.

But golf isn't being flexible with people. It's not reaching out to try and draw people in. So I don't have a lot of sympathy really. If golf declines in popularity it'll be it's own fault.

I'll offer a thought. Maybe growing the game isn't really about bringing in new people as much as it is milking every drop out of the people who already play it. Equipment used to be less of a status symbol. Now, virtually everyone at the range who isn't playing with something from Goodwill is sporting something with a carbon fiber crown. People are dying to get the new $300 shaft, the $100 slacks, the $85 polo, the $250 shoes...

...this all kind of sounds like consumerism.So maybe the real goal isn't to grow the game but to encourage the obsessed consumer to shell out two or three times as much to "enhance their experience."

Maybe I'm too cynical but golf is booming in a lot of ways.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I would:

- Make my course short.

That's what golf would be doing if it were progressive and really wanted to grow itself. But that isn't what we get. We get courses that are greener, longer, and altogether tougher. We get courses designed around the golf cart. We get expensive monthly membership rates which promote "country club" amenities. And virtually nobody reaches out the newbie to get him/her involved with other new players. So you're either playing by yourself or with the few people you happen to know.

We're left with a world where the only people who play, do so because they knew someone and were really dedicated.

I began at an el-cheapo range near me that welcomed everyone. As long as you had $10 you could hit some balls. You might be terrible but that's no problem. But with most places like that closing up in favor of selling the land and developing it for something else, I doubt that experience will continue.

Same old song and dance. What used to be cheap and easy is now painful, over-engineered and expensive. The truth is that few people here are any more "old-fashioned" or "dedicated" than most folks. Golf is great--if you can afford it. Golf is great--when you can fit it in your schedule.

But golf isn't being flexible with people. It's not reaching out to try and draw people in. So I don't have a lot of sympathy really. If golf declines in popularity it'll be it's own fault.

I'll offer a thought. Maybe growing the game isn't really about bringing in new people as much as it is milking every drop out of the people who already play it. Equipment used to be less of a status symbol. Now, virtually everyone at the range who isn't playing with something from Goodwill is sporting something with a carbon fiber crown. People are dying to get the new $100 slacks, the $85 polo, the $250 shoes...

...this is sounds like consumerism. I think the goal isn't to grow the game but to encourage the obsessed consumer to shell out twice as much for the same thing. Maybe I'm too cynical but golf is booming in a lot of ways.

In my area, there are plenty of 6,000 yard courses that are all less than 30$ to play. In fact all the courses around me were built prior to 1980 or so. Most in the 60's/70's..so are plenty short and enjoyable. With great used equipment going cheap on line and balls in every price range...golf is as cheap as ever..if you want. Go look at the thread asking "Is golf your most expensive hobby". There are plenty of hobby's that take more money and time..

I agree with much of Melloyello's post, but the one thing I disagree with is the need for flat greens. Greens with big slopes that make the ball move are a lot of fun to putt. These greens absolutely need to be slower and there is really no need for a green above 10 or 11 (often times 8 is perfect for a muni!). A lot of the appeal of putt putt is watching the ball cascade around slopes and trying to figure out how to manage them. Everyone is always smiling when they try these weird made up holes. Obviously a real course should not be quite that bizarre, but slopes on greens bring interest, fun, and imagination to golf.

If a new player saw the creativity needed to play the ball on the ground, I think they would like golf more. If greens and courses are flat, you might as well just go to the driving range.

In my area, there are plenty of 6,000 yard courses that are all less than 30$ to play. In fact all the courses around me were built prior to 1980 or so. Most in the 60's/70's..so are plenty short and enjoyable. With great used equipment going cheap on line and balls in every price range...golf is as cheap as ever..if you want. Go look at the thread asking "Is golf your most expensive hobby". There are plenty of hobby's that take more money and time..

Yeah, but I'm not sure the experience that you and I had growing up in rural places will be there forever. I sincerely doubt that beginner-golf is as cheap in urban areas, especially when traditional working-man's ranges are barely getting by and the new fad is more the upscale Top Golf type of places.

What's worse, a lot of the courses you're referencing (that have been treading water in the more rural places) are closing up. I know we've lost some in our area.

Sadly, the first courses that seem to go are the ones that are friendly to the novice player.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I agree with much of Melloyello's post, but the one thing I disagree with is the need for flat greens. Greens with big slopes that make the ball move are a lot of fun to putt. These greens absolutely need to be slower and there is really no need for a green above 10 or 11 (often times 8 is perfect for a muni!). A lot of the appeal of putt putt is watching the ball cascade around slopes and trying to figure out how to manage them. Everyone is always smiling when they try these weird made up holes. Obviously a real course should not be quite that bizarre, but slopes on greens bring interest, fun, and imagination to golf.

If a new player saw the creativity needed to play the ball on the ground, I think they would like golf more. If greens and courses are flat, you might as well just go to the driving range.

Yeah. I'm just thinking that (1) beginners are going to suck pretty badly and (2) you want to discourage taking a million years on the greens.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Yeah. I'm just thinking that (1) beginners are going to suck pretty badly and (2) you want to discourage taking a million years on the greens.

I think that's fair. There is definitely a place for those basic courses that have little to no interest for experienced golfers other than smacking a ball around a field. In order to demonstrate how fun the putting part of the game (compared to hitting the driver for example) can be, sloping greens are a great way and can be tons of fun at the right speed.

5 hour rounds.

I'll say it again, it's that simple. It's the reason several friends have stopped playing and the reason the Juniors get bored when we take them on the course. People don't want to sit around all day waiting to hit. It's boring. The governing bodies really really really need to demand enforcement of the sub 4 hour round of 18. If we can't get things sped up, the kids will just keep finding something else to do. Just to clarify again, I teach juniors in the spring and summer several days a week and ask them all the time why their friends don't want to play or when the kids quit asking them why they don't want to play. They constantly say it's boring and I don't like having to sit around and do nothing on the golf course. They want to hit, go to the ball, hit, etc. Not wait on a 4 some to spend 5 hours farting around in front of them all day. Pretty much like I and everyone else I know.

5 hour rounds.

I'll say it again, it's that simple. It's the reason several friends have stopped playing and the reason the Juniors get bored when we take them on the course. People don't want to sit around all day waiting to hit. It's boring. The governing bodies really really really need to demand enforcement of the sub 4 hour round of 18. If we can't get things sped up, the kids will just keep finding something else to do. Just to clarify again, I teach juniors in the spring and summer several days a week and ask them all the time why their friends don't want to play or when the kids quit asking them why they don't want to play. They constantly say it's boring and I don't like having to sit around and do nothing on the golf course. They want to hit, go to the ball, hit, etc. Not wait on a 4 some to spend 5 hours farting around in front of them all day. Pretty much like I and everyone else I know.

With all due respect Toll, balderdash. It's not even close to just that simple.

There have been 5 hour rounds since the 1960s, especially in crowded urban areas like, e.g. NYC. And except for the cyclical lull here and there, that has been the "standard", at least on the weekends. Those courses are just as crowded as they've always been.

What's the most frequently used word on TV when related to playing golf ? Patience. Something in short supply in youngsters. Always has been, always will be.

The kids will do the same as they always have.

If they find it interesting, challenging and fun they'll do it for however long it takes. If they don't they;ll find something that will keep them involved. If you love something for 4 hours you'll love it for 5.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

If you love something for 4 hours you'll love it for 5.

...said nobody who ever got held up...EVER.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

saupload_Incomes-80pct-Median-Cost-Of-Living-Savings-103117.png

1978ish - Median Disposable Income for the bottom 80% of earners begins to exceed the Cost of Living

2008ish - Things flip the other way

In addition to most households having less disposable income and wages not increasing in most fields to match the increasing cost of living, along with retirees having retirement packages ripped away/being laid off before they get full benefits and it's easy to see why luxury past times like golf have taken a hit. Keep in mind as well that during the surge of Tiger fever that drove everyone from 1 to 92 into the game we didn't have:

• massive cell phone/data plans
  • $70 and up a month internet
  • expensive cable packages being the norm
  • Netflix, Spotify, etc., being 'essential'
  • Satellite Radio Subscriptions
  • "Subscriptions" to your favorite YouTube/Twitch content creators
  • Tuition, housing/mortgage, and other costs ballooning at paces that also far exceed wages for most

The average person and the average family have far less disposable income and far more sources competing for the few dollars that they do have. The $/hour value in golf has never exactly been grand, but when you have even less than ever to spread around and other alternatives offer a much better ROI, golf suddenly doesn't look nearly as good as it once might have. Even used golf clubs are more than a year worth of sub time to many digital sources of entertainment. Two days a tournament is a much harder sell to people with so many bills to pay that they can barely stay afloat.

The middle class surge was what made golf more accessible to a lot more people and what major manufacturers and courses capitalized on. The middle class has shrunken again, so golf is once more a game that caters to those with a safe amount of discretionary income, and that's not the majority anywhere any longer. If someone else has already hit on all this my bad; this thread is pretty long and I haven't gotten through all of it yet.

I would:

- Make my course short.

I'll offer a thought. Maybe growing the game isn't really about bringing in new people as much as it is milking every drop out of the people who already play it. Equipment used to be less of a status symbol. Now, virtually everyone at the range who isn't playing with something from Goodwill is sporting something with a carbon fiber crown. People are dying to get the new $300 shaft, the $100 slacks, the $85 polo, the $250 shoes...

...this all kind of sounds like consumerism.So maybe the real goal isn't to grow the game but to encourage the obsessed consumer to shell out two or three times as much to "enhance their experience."

Maybe I'm too cynical but golf is booming in a lot of ways.

What is "the game" golf's biggest media mouths talk about? It isn't the game of golf. It is the game of consumerism, industry, products, employees, advertising. The measure of growth is in business models and money, not new players or frequency or clubs. Forget wasting money on more studies about the flagstick, how about a study on amateur golf?

If you receive $100 as a gift, what in golf would you spend it on? An Impact Snap? 1/2 hour with a pro? A putter fitting? A greens fee for you and a partner? 1/4 of a Leupold rangefinder? Or a whole set of clubs, a bag, rain gear, 2 golf hats, 3 golf shirts, and a golf instruction book at Goodwill...like I did. No one in "the game" has any idea that that gift and Goodwill kept me in the game.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

After reading about 1/3 of the posts in this thread it seems the #1 reason is time to play and #2 cost. So if golf were a 12 hole sport, front 6 and back 6 would that be about right? If courses had been built that way, due to less cost for land maintenance etc... I guess green fees would be less, solving or at least helping on the two main points. Obviously though courses are 18 holes 9&9. It may be too soon, but are two 9 hole courses in the future. The time of play would be cut in half. There would be twice as many tee times available. Green fees could be less and best of all, I could play two rounds when I use to play one. I know the hardcore guys are always going to play 18, I'm one of them. But it sure would create a viable option for those who think the game takes too much time and is too expensive. I know it would create scheduling problems for those playing 18 coming off one course going to the other so popular courses who turn people away shouldn't consider it. But before another course closes, why not give it a shot. What have you got to lose at that point.

In my junior years we were expected to be round in 3hrs 15 on a par 69 walking course, taking the early morning Saturday slot (8-10am if I recall). If not, the seniors would be up your Word not allowed like Michael Jackson.

I would never have got into the game if I had to spend 5 hours to hit the ball 80 odd times. Especially in a cold and windy UK. As it is, I have pretty much stopped playing now - it takes me the best part of the day to go play, whereas I can spend a couple of hours training Jiu Jitsu, and enjoy the rest of the day.

For me personally, I am walking away for the following reasons:

1) Family life (baby Bingo on the way)

2) Cost and time (this would be different if I lived a 10-15 minute drive to a course that I could play for less than $100). As it is, I am usually up at 6am for a 10am tee time)

3) I feel that I have pretty much maxed out my capabilities. I have never broken par and I just seem to have a brain fart that costs me 3 or 4 strokes when I have a good round going (probably through lack of practice, and maybe concentration). I cannot play as well as I used to, and it's quite annoying, which when you factor in 1 and 2, makes it all seem a bit pointless.

I am still very much a beginner at Jiu Jitsu, bu I am quite enjoying having zero expectations again and starting something from scratch.

I suspect I will come back to golf when I move somewhere where it is easier to play, but for now it will remain something I play occasionally to catch up with friends and the occasional business networking. I certainly won;t be down the range 2 or 3 times a week like I used to be.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I think what we are seeing a function of industry expectations: Very simply, you should be playing 18 holes on a championship-length course with a $1,500 bag of equipment

The USGA can pay lip service to "grow the game" all it wants. But, like any amateur sports organization, it is driven by the companies serving its industry. It's not driven by your local muni or a local clubfitter. It's driven by the likes of TaylorMade, Acushnet, Under Armour, the REITs and holding companies owning the large golf resorts and famous venues. and the large management firms running them.

The expectation is you use equipment made by these guys, and you play on courses owned and operated by these guys. That is what forms the message. And, whether we like it or not, there is really only one small subset of the population that truly drives that bus: The people fortunate enough, whether through inheritance / genetic lottery, hard work, dumb luck, or a combination of the above, to afford private country club membership.

I think what we are seeing a function of industry expectations: Very simply, you should be playing 18 holes on a championship-length course with a $1,500 bag of equipment

The USGA can pay lip service to "grow the game" all it wants. But, like any amateur sports organization, it is driven by the companies serving its industry. It's not driven by your local muni or a local clubfitter. It's driven by the likes of TaylorMade, Acushnet, Under Armour, the REITs and holding companies owning the large golf resorts and famous venues. and the large management firms running them.

The expectation is you use equipment made by these guys, and you play on courses owned and operated by these guys. That is what forms the message. And, whether we like it or not, there is really only one small subset of the population that truly drives that bus: The people fortunate enough, whether through inheritance / genetic lottery, hard work, dumb luck, or a combination of the above, to afford private country club membership.

Actually that subset is what keeps me and others in great, used, cheap golf clubs...lol.

After reading about 1/3 of the posts in this thread it seems the #1 reason is time to play and #2 cost. So if golf were a 12 hole sport, front 6 and back 6 would that be about right? If courses had been built that way, due to less cost for land maintenance etc... I guess green fees would be less, solving or at least helping on the two main points. Obviously though courses are 18 holes 9&9. It may be too soon, but are two 9 hole courses in the future. The time of play would be cut in half. There would be twice as many tee times available. Green fees could be less and best of all, I could play two rounds when I use to play one. I know the hardcore guys are always going to play 18, I'm one of them. But it sure would create a viable option for those who think the game takes too much time and is too expensive. I know it would create scheduling problems for those playing 18 coming off one course going to the other so popular courses who turn people away shouldn't consider it. But before another course closes, why not give it a shot. What have you got to lose at that point.

I just think 6 holes per side would be more practical for your average enthusiast. If you make a smaller 12-hole course, fine. If you end up with an 18-hole facility with 3 sides, that works, too. It just creates more options: 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, etc.

If you're coming off the range or getting out of work and you want to get a few holes in you can play one side. If you play one side and want more you play the back. If you play all 12 holes and want more you can start re-playing holes you already played.

Golf is also a weird game in that you only get 1 chance at each hole per round. Batters in baseball get multiple at-bats. Football affords offenses multiple possessions. Hockey, basketball, soccer and other similar sports each go back and forth countless times. Why wouldn't you want a chance to play each hole in golf twice?

I just find 18 holes to be a weird number. If I'm hanging out with friends I prefer something that is roughly 3 hours which makes me think that 12-15 holes would be more ideal. Just look at how much time you're really investing even for a round that takes 4-hours.

20 minutes - Get ready

30 minutes - Commute to course

10 minutes - Get checked in

30 minutes - Warm-up

10 minutes - Assemble for tee-off

240 minutes - Golf (4-hr)

10 minutes - Pack up

30 minutes - Commute home

15 minutes - Unpack & shower

15 minutes - Clean clubs & shoes

Total investment: 6-hrs, 50-minutes

After all that I'm usually pretty exhausted.

And if you're already talking 7-hours it's clear that delay, be it in your commute or on the course itself) could easily push your total time investment towards 7.5 or even 8 hours which is a full freakin' day!

And what if you're going out to dinner that evening, because we are talking the weekend here, right? When you factor in getting ready and commuting for that you're talking about a 10- or even 12-hour day that was supposed to be your "off" day. The next day is probably your "productive" weekend day for chores and whatnot. Congrats!

Where exactly are you relaxing in all of that? We talk about 2-hours for 9-holes like that's all it really takes, but golf can easily be 3x or even 4x that investment!

And that's just the full-round experience. There are plenty of times I go to the range to practice by myself and think, 'I'd like to play a few holes but I really don't have 2-hours to go round the front/back side.'

If playing 6 holes was an option, I think I'd play more golf. It's that simple. The fact is, not all courses allow that given their layout. Some are simply not designed so that a player can go play a quick 5- or 6-holes and be right back at the clubhouse.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

2212239186_6afb63d336.jpg

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X