Rory Mcilroy has become a bad pressure player (There, we've said it)

Comments

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,688 ClubWRX
    Captured this at the '09 PGA where he was T3 with Westwood. Just a kid!
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,229 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Fat Rory getting a lot of love on the board recently!
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    W/S C300 15* - Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S C300 20*/23* - Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S FG Tour Forged - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    W/S Bucktown
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,756 ✭✭
    the bishop wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

He was better when he was built like a dart player.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    I think a lot of times, those chasing greatness do not realise that they are great already. Clearly Rory's issues are not technical looking at his scoring stats overall. If he can fix his approaches (and I suspect this is mental rather than physical) and close out some tournies from the front of the pack, he can go on a tear again. The fact is, he is playing in some top tier tournaments and closing out at that level is hard, but he is putting himself in contention, which should be the main positive.

At the end of the day, better to be a 'bad pressure player' cashing top 10s, than missing cuts and losing your tour card!
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • vanillafunk616vanillafunk616 Members Posts: 552 ✭✭
    Choked when those wedding invitations went out, too. Just kidding.
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Members Posts: 464 ✭✭
    edited Jan 14, 2019 5:58am #67
    rightslice wrote:

rory-mcilroy-s-cars.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=1200&height=800&rnd=131539247390000000

Could be this. Car and watch worth more than most starter homes. Lots of $ affects people differently. Not that he doesn't care but Maserati's, beach homes, and G-4's can make a kid feel like he's already done it all. Majors on top too.

I believe thats a BMW i8, and his watch was probably free, hardly a flash harry, if i had his money it wouldnt be a BMW i was driving, if i was driving at all

Titleist TS3 8.5*
    Titleist 915F 16.5*
    Titleist 816 19*
    Titleist AP3/AP2/MB Irons 4- PW
    Titleist SM7 Black 52/58*
    Scotty Cameron California fastback

• c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,108 ✭✭
    To me seems like he clearly wants it, looks like he is trying to force it and ends up getting in the wrong mindset when it doesn't just click.

Not to say he has had bad luck because everyone is stellar but his final rounds have been against tough opponents who are going to force you to make birdies and are not afraid to get in his face.
    TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712 U 4 Iron | 714 AP2 5 Iron
    714CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • Dave230Dave230 Members Posts: 3,769 ✭✭
    the bishop wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

You'd call that fat, really? More like regular build and baby fat on the face. Rory body-wise was never close to overweight. Some people here making it out like he looked like Darren Clarke.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,383 ✭✭
    edited Jan 14, 2019 3:29pm #70
    c7015 wrote:

To me seems like he clearly wants it, looks like he is trying to force it and ends up getting in the wrong mindset when it doesn't just click.

Not to say he has had bad luck because everyone is stellar but his final rounds have been against tough opponents who are going to force you to make birdies and are not afraid to get in his face.

Be interesting to know how much he practices now vs his first few years on tour.

I think if he really wants it, he will do whatever it takes to make it happen. He can do it, but as Trevino said, he's gotta move the dirt.

Even when Jack was the best, he didn't let up

https://www.golfdige...hot-lee-trevino

"THE MAN TO BEAT that week was Jack. He had fewer than 10 majors [eight] at that point, but he was the best player in the game, and I already thought he was the best player in history. It wasn't just his game, it was the way he went about everything. The first time I ever saw Jack was at Baltusrol at the U.S. Open in 1967. It was early in the week, late in the day and almost dark. I looked down from the clubhouse at the practice green and saw the outline of a man putting with a Bulls Eye putter, the head painted white. It was Jack. Watching him made an impression as to what makes a man great. At the end of the day, all that matters is how hard you work, how much dirt you move. That's how I measure people. I don't care how talented you are, if you don't move enough dirt, somebody is going to run over you. Jack moved a lot of dirt.

ONE OF THE GREAT myths in golf is that Jack didn't practice very much. When he bought a house at Lost Tree in Florida in the mid-'60s, nobody saw him. He'd go out back behind his house and hit balls across those fairways all day long. He also built a putting green on land between his guest house and the tennis courts. He adjusted the speed of that green for whatever tournaments were in front of him. He wore that putting green out."

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,108 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

c7015 wrote:

Be interesting to know how much he practices now vs his first few years on tour.

I think if he really wants it, he will do whatever it takes to make it happen. He can do it, but as Trevino said, he's gotta move the dirt.

Even when Jack was the best, he didn't let up

https://www.golfdige...hot-lee-trevino

"THE MAN TO BEAT that week was Jack. He had fewer than 10 majors [eight] at that point, but he was the best player in the game, and I already thought he was the best player in history. It wasn't just his game, it was the way he went about everything. The first time I ever saw Jack was at Baltusrol at the U.S. Open in 1967. It was early in the week, late in the day and almost dark. I looked down from the clubhouse at the practice green and saw the outline of a man putting with a Bulls Eye putter, the head painted white. It was Jack. Watching him made an impression as to what makes a man great. At the end of the day, all that matters is how hard you work, how much dirt you move. That's how I measure people. I don't care how talented you are, if you don't move enough dirt, somebody is going to run over you. Jack moved a lot of dirt.

ONE OF THE GREAT myths in golf is that Jack didn't practice very much. When he bought a house at Lost Tree in Florida in the mid-'60s, nobody saw him. He'd go out back behind his house and hit balls across those fairways all day long. He also built a putting green on land between his guest house and the tennis courts. He adjusted the speed of that green for whatever tournaments were in front of him. He wore that putting green out."

Basically creating the blueprint for Tiger that has been passed down to these guys, hustle **** ...
    TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712 U 4 Iron | 714 AP2 5 Iron
    714CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5

• aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,603 ✭✭

Bs6SgTFCYAAoTtd.jpg

Well....what now?

Dunno we're still cashing big checks.

It was the hair that gave him the killer instinct. Now with the hair gone, so is the ability to close out tournaments on Sunday. Lol.

Bs6SgTFCYAAoTtd.jpg

Well....what now?

Dunno we're still cashing big checks.

Since I posted that, Rickie won.

Rory??????

• MMB1500MMB1500 Members Posts: 6,318 ✭✭
    McIlroy is now 0/7 for wins since 2016 when starting the last round in the final group.

As another poster said, he's now the anti-Tiger.
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 938 ✭✭
    I've said it at least a dozen times here but he's turned into a mental midget on Sunday. It's been weird to watch it happen.
  • ChadwickogChadwickog Members Posts: 295 ✭✭
    I haven’t seen that Rory swagger in a long time. Whatever it was that allowed him to have it, is gone. It used to be one of the scariest things in golf. Once you saw the swagger you pretty much knew it was over.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,320 ClubWRX
    Rory is like us. When he wants it the most he rarely performs to his potential. When he just relaxes and plays golf, he's one of the best ever.
  • MMB1500MMB1500 Members Posts: 6,318 ✭✭
    edited Mar 10, 2019 8:28pm #80
    DavePelz4 wrote:

Rory is like us. When he wants it the most he rarely performs to his potential. When he just relaxes and plays golf, he's one of the best ever.

Totally agree. I've been saying the same thing for some time. He's trying too hard and is putting too much pressure on himself. This causes him to get nervous and tentative, especially on the greens.

He needs to find a way to completely reframe how he approaches high pressure situations such as Sundays when he's in contention. If he can learn to relax and care a LOT, lot less about the outcome, we could still see special things.

Barring Woods, he and DJ are still the two most talented players in the game, by some distance.

Oh and he needs a proper caddie.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,320 ClubWRX
    MMB1500 wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

Totally agree. I've been saying the same thing for some time. He's trying too hard and is putting too much pressure on himself. This causes him to get nervous and tentative, especially on the greens.

He needs to find a way to completely reframe how he approaches high pressure situations such as Sundays when he's in contention. If he can learn to relax and care a LOT, lot less about the outcome, we could still see special things.

Barring Woods, he and DJ are still the two most talented players in the game, by some distance.

I also think on Sunday mornings when Rory is in contention, Mrs. Rory need to provide him with a mind blowing intimate experience so that he's beyond relaxed, isn't thinking about winning and can do nothing except let his natural swing come through.
  • Always_roughAlways_rough Members Posts: 461 ✭✭
    I'd like him and Tiger to be in the final pairing this year at Augusta so Tiger can get the win.
    Got 14 daggum golf clubs, but none of 'em hit the ball straight.

(1W) M3 440
    (3W) 917 F3
    (3i) MP-18 fli hi
    (4i-PW) JPX 900 Tour
    (52, 56, 60) SM6
    Oven B1-01
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,680 ✭✭
    Too busy podcasting.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,383 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:

MMB1500 wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

I also think on Sunday mornings when Rory is in contention, Mrs. Rory need to provide him with a mind blowing intimate experience so that he's beyond relaxed, isn't thinking about winning and can do nothing except let his natural swing come through.

Im thinking the opposite, DP

She needs to burn the pot roast

Accidentally scratch his Lambo with a shopping cart "whoops, sorry, hun"

And withold all exotic experiences

Rory need to be hungry, angry, and frustrated!
  • IVMIVM Members Posts: 454 ✭✭
    I have been super critical of him but he needs to put more time into it . He is so disappointing that I cannot pull for him anymore. You just know he is not going to win .
    bscinstnct wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

MMB1500 wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

Rory needs to show up at the course three minutes before his tee time. He's got the right driver for it.

Walter Hagen the routine up a little.

• Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,750 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:

MMB1500 wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

i say it's the opposite... she needs to leave him....alone
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 938 ✭✭

bscinstnct wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

MMB1500 wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

Rory needs to show up at the course three minutes before his tee time. He's got the right driver for it.

Walter Hagen the routine up a little.

Maybe have some bad lobster the night before? Show up to the first tee in tails?
  • Jackhammer993Jackhammer993 Members Posts: 855 ✭✭
    I use to stop everything when Rory was contending. That was some time ago and after multiple dissapointments and perceived contentment from Rory I stopped. Saw his name up there this week and didn’t bat an eye. I know he won here last year and that’s what I see for him going forward. He will win about 1 every year or two by making a few putts in the final round but that’s it. He won more than his share but I think many will feel like he under achieved due primarily to lack of focus and effort in what should be his prime years. He enjoys his life which is the most important thing.