Best Stand/Carry bag for the Cart

I'm sure this has been addressed in the past, but i'm looking for the what others think is the best bag for the cart as I mainly ride, but i do walk in early spring late fall, so I still want a stand, straps, and somewhat lightweight. I'm willing to accept a slightly heavier weight when walking if this gets me a bag with more storage and easier clubs removal with little tangle. I've seen the C-130 has a model that comes with a stand and strap, but this looks to mainly be for those who like a stand on the range but don't actually intend to carry the bag on course.

I open to both a 14 way divider and 5-7. haven't really decided on which i prefer or if i care.

thoughts?

I was first thinking Sun Mountain 5.5, but open to suggestions.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no answers, but am following thread for input from others.

I currently have a cart bag (no stand), and I am probably 50/50 between riding and using a push cart. I want to start walking without the push cart about half of the time, so 50/25/25.

I made a list of features I want in a stand bag, and two of those that I am not willing to sacrifice on (yet) are removable back-pack straps and a riding-cart-strap-pass-through. I have not found this bag yet.

I *think a new Titleist bag will have both of these features, called the Hybrid 14, and am anxious to find out when it will be available to purchase. Hopefully very shortly after the PGA Merchandise show later this month.

i started golf a couple years ago and was pretty much rode 99% of the time and the other 1% walked with my clicgear.

ive got a nike cart bag with 14 way.

but ive been starting to walk my last few rounds and enjoy it more and seems to keep me more in rhythm. so im planning to walk 90% now and 10% ride.

ive been using my sun mountain 2.5 to walk my last few rounds and while it works fine, it's short on pockets. but i wouldnt recommend it for riding.

ive got a jones trouper bag being delivered this friday that i am hoping will give me the best of both worlds.

As it happens, I used a new Bagboy Chiller stand bag for the first time today on my Clicgear push cart. I've got to say, my first impression is that I love the bag.

I walk most of my rounds, but play a lot of tournament golf where I have to ride, and I also want a stand bag to take to the range, so I'm asking a lot out of one bag for all of that. Tried a Sun Mountain C130 cart bag, but no legs for the range or parking lot. Tried a Titleist stand bag, but the garment pockets were just too small. Looked at the Ogio Alpha stand bag, but didn't like the design at all. Did all sorts of comparing in the stores and at Golf Galaxy, and finally pulled the trigger on the Bagboy Chiller; great price on a bag that is really designed to be a "hybrid" bag for use either on a push cart or a power cart.

Great pocket design, and I like the way the 14 club dividers are laid out; the long clubs with head covers can go down the middle, with irons on the outside on both sides so nothing is hidden. Just a cool design, and the materials seem to be top quality. I'll hope for the best for durability, but at the price I paid, I'm not even too worried about that.

One important note: I have both the Clicgear bag cozy and booster clip, so the bag was very stable on my cart. The bag is designed to fit onto a Bagboy push cart without even using straps, but it works great on a Clicgear.

Ping Hoofer. Nothing at the bottom to get in the way for either riding or push. ;)

ive heard way too much about the hoofer and tangle. not even going to risk it. this bag is out.

i think its down to sun mountain 45 and 55. 2018 and 2019. doubt there is much difference

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

Ping Hoofer. Nothing at the bottom to get in the way for either riding or push. ;)

ive heard way too much about the hoofer and tangle. not even going to risk it. this bag is out.

i think its down to sun mountain 45 and 55. 2018 and 2019. doubt there is much difference

Hoofer is the better bag

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I used to be a Ping guy when it comes to bags. But I recently converted to Sun Mountain. My pick would be the 3.5. I can carry it, put it on a golf cart or a push cart with no problems.

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Yamaha RMX 220 17* 5 Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids - 21* and 24*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

I used to be a Ping guy when it comes to bags. But I recently converted to Sun Mountain. My pick would be the 3.5. I can carry it, put it on a golf cart or a push cart with no problems.

So the straps dangling when on a cart (push or riding) aren't an issue? If they were removable, and you could stash them in a pocket, would that be a very appreciated feature ?

I'm going from a cart bag where the single strap was never an issue, to a stand bag where i will still be using a cart half the time, and worried the straps will be a nuisance or a regret. Because other than that, i really like both the hoofer and SM offerings.

So the straps dangling when on a cart (push or riding) aren't an issue? If they were removable, and you could stash them in a pocket, would that be a very appreciated feature ?

I'm going from a cart bag where the single strap was never an issue, to a stand bag where i will still be using a cart half the time, and worried the straps will be a nuisance or a regret. Because other than that, i really like both the hoofer and SM offerings.

The straps were never a problem for me. Did not even think about it until I read it here. Seems more cumbersome to detach and reattach the straps, another thing to remember and given all the stuff I have forgotten in my cart, I will probably lose those too. Ha hah hah, must be the drinking.

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Yamaha RMX 220 17* 5 Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids - 21* and 24*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

I walk almost all non-tournament rounds that I play, but play a LOT of tournaments. I'm 66 now, and gave up carrying three years ago, and use a Clicgear when i walk. I play year round, and a lot of early morning and bad weather, so I want a bag with a LOT of storage space for rounds where there's a large temperature swing during the round, and/or when it rains. I also go to the range a fair amount, and want a stand on the bag for that. So I ask a lot out of a golf bag, and I've put a LOT of time in getting the right one.

So the first thing is to decide what you want, right?

1. IF you are going to carry, in addition to riding and pushing, then the Sun Mt. 3.5 or the Titleist Players 4 are the best out there. The Ping Hoofer just isn't what Ping bags used to be, and the pocket space is not only small, but not very well designed. I bought a Hoofer a few months back because it doesn't have the toe mechanism for the stand, but gave it to my son within a few rounds. It just isn't very good. FWIW, my experience has been that the corresponding Titleist bag is usually a few bucks cheaper than the Sun Mountain version, which is odd because I think Sun Mt makes the Titleist bag.

2. If you are not going to carry, or at least not very much, and want a bit more storage and don't mind (or like) 14 club dividers, then the Titleist Players 14 is a really good option. The other advantage to the Titleist bags, both the 4 and the 14, is that they have a hinged bottom instead of the toe mechanism, which makes them easier to work with on a push cart.

3. If you are NEVER going to carry, but are going to use a push cart a lot AND want a stand, then either the Sun Mt. C130S or the Bagboy Chiller are the best out there. Great designs, great materials; just really good bags. The big difference is that the C130S is going to cost significantly more than the Bagboy, and for no great benefit. The Bagboy also has a cool feature; a slot that allows you to tuck in the strap when the bag is on a cart or push cart; no need to detach. I'm not a big fan of 14 club dividers, but the Bagboy's is pretty cool; the long clubs go down the middle and the irons on the outside, which hides nothing (Also, I looked hard at the Ogio Alpha S, but for a bag that size, the pockets are shockingly small. Seems to be REALLY well-made, but what's the good of a big bag with small bag storage?)

4. If you have no need for a stand at all, the Sun Mountain C130 is very, very good. I have one that I used on my push cart for a long time, but got tired of switching clubs and having no stand. And it may well be too big for club covers for airline trips as well. I'm sure the Ping and Titleist staff bags are equally good.

^ Sun Mtn does not make Titleist, that stopped at least 5 years ago. IMO, Titleist bags became quite poor when this happened, they're not nearly as good as PING or Sun Mtn

If you are going to carry a decent amount then you can't beat PING. No bag fits on the shoulders/back better. It just feels weightless and comfortable because of the way it fits. The tradeoff has always been the tangle, but the way I see it is that when carrying the bag it is on your shoulders the vast majority of the round when interacting with the bag. So for me comfort while actually carrying is the #1 criterion, and no bag touches PING in this category in my opinion.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

^ Sun Mtn does not make Titleist, that stopped at least 5 years ago. IMO, Titleist bags became quite poor when this happened, they're not nearly as good as PING or Sun Mtn

If you are going to carry a decent amount then you can't beat PING. No bag fits on the shoulders/back better. It just feels weightless and comfortable because of the way it fits. The tradeoff has always been the tangle, but the way I see it is that when carrying the bag it is on your shoulders the vast majority of the round when interacting with the bag. So for me comfort while actually carrying is the #1 criterion, and no bag touches PING in this category in my opinion.

I think you're right about the Titleist bags no longer being made by Sun Mountain; thanks for the heads up. And I'd tend to agree about the quality decline; I had a Titleist carry bag that lasted a long, long time with zero problems until it finally wore out last summer; bought a Players 14 and the zipper pulls fell off almost immediately.

I'll respectfully disagree about the Ping bags, though. I've used Ping clubs since the early 80's, and the old Ping bags were just the best on the market. It's been years now since there has been a Ping bag that I thought was as good as the carry bags from Sun Mountain and Titleist, and I see very, very few guys using Ping carry bags. Not sure how to account for the decline, but there are better and lighter bags for the price, which didn't used to be the case.

Best wishes on whichever you choose. I'm real close to concluding that trying to get the best dual-purpose bag for my needs requires too many sacrifices, and that my money might be better spent on buying (2) bags - one specific for walking, and one specific for cart use.

after some of the comments i've been looking into the hoofers a little more. I'm in no hurry with snow on the ground, but i will say i'm now thinking the 2019 hoofer or hoofer 14 is now a likely purchase. seems much of the tangle comes when bag is on ground and legs extended rather on cart. either way i doubt i can go wrong and probably putting too much thought into it.

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

You can’t go wrong with the Hoofer. The club tangle issue gets blown way out of proportion. The key is to lift the bag upright before putting your club back in. On a cart it’s a non issue. The plus is that the base is way more cart friendly.

For my money there’s not a better constructed bag than the PING’s. For walking they are also the best balanced that I have found. I just bought a mascot bag and it’s killer.

I’m baffled by the comments of needing a removable strap for the cart. Totally not necessary.

for those that have chose the hoofer, thoughts on the 14 way vs 5 way.

i was initially leaning 14 but after seeing the bag in person some of these dividers look pretty tight. especially if you have a larger grip on putter. more or less club tangle on one or the other? its almost as if i think 14 is too many dividers but 5 is too little. i think 8 would be ideal.

Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P

I had almost exclusively used stand bags because my gf told me cart bags were just heavy and overweight, but after realizing i will never walk a course (bad back), i snagged one of the Costco Under Armour (By SunMountain) cart bags. So far I've been pleased with the features, and for $110 shipped I couldn't really complain. I still need to mess with the 14-way divider so i can avoid as much clanking of clubs as possible. I like someone above's post about running the long woods/driver down the middle to separate things. Outside of that, I love the glove velcro, the cooler pocket is great but wish it was a big bigger. The best part about it is the cart pass through strap thing. I don't even find it much heavier than my taylormade stand bag, so go figure. maybe it's in my head

I personally don’t like 14 way bags so I would opt for the 5 way hoofer. I briefly owned a cart bag with a 14 way top and quickly learned I will never own either again. 14 way is nice for pulling clubs out, but I found it a pain to put them back in. Also, I’m not sensitive to tangle, but I’m very OCD about how my clubs flow in the bag. 3, 4 or 5 ways just “work” better for me.

I personally don’t like 14 way bags so I would opt for the 5 way hoofer. I briefly owned a cart bag with a 14 way top and quickly learned I will never own either again. 14 way is nice for pulling clubs out, but I found it a pain to put them back in. Also, I’m not sensitive to tangle, but I’m very OCD about how my clubs flow in the bag. 3, 4 or 5 ways just “work” better for me.

Completely agree. 14 way seems ideal for OCD, but I found it to be disastrous for me as there's less flexibility for arranging things. I prefer 4 way, but 5 way works well.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I had almost exclusively used stand bags because my gf told me cart bags were just heavy and overweight, but after realizing i will never walk a course (bad back), i snagged one of the Costco Under Armour (By SunMountain) cart bags. So far I've been pleased with the features, and for $110 shipped I couldn't really complain. I still need to mess with the 14-way divider so i can avoid as much clanking of clubs as possible. I like someone above's post about running the long woods/driver down the middle to separate things. Outside of that, I love the glove velcro, the cooler pocket is great but wish it was a big bigger. The best part about it is the cart pass through strap thing. I don't even find it much heavier than my taylormade stand bag, so go figure. maybe it's in my head

I like that bag, but the OP was asking about about a cart bag with a stand.

I personally don't like 14 way bags so I would opt for the 5 way hoofer. I briefly owned a cart bag with a 14 way top and quickly learned I will never own either again. 14 way is nice for pulling clubs out, but I found it a pain to put them back in. Also, I'm not sensitive to tangle, but I'm very OCD about how my clubs flow in the bag. 3, 4 or 5 ways just "work" better for me.

I agree with both of your posts regarding the Hoofer. Now in the past I never rode with a carry bag I always used a staff bag. I found a 1st generation Hoofer in Goodwill for $9.95 about 6 or 7 months ago. It was in fantastic shape I do not honestly believe it has seen the light of day in 25 years. So I bought it. Best purchase I have ever made. Fellow WRXer Nixlix talked me into the grab and go frame of mind even riding. I do not carry a lot of gear even when riding. And yes I have adapted the grab and go mentality. Like you said tangle is not an issue with the bag standing straight up on a cart and I have not noticed that bad of issue on the range with tangle. The only issue I have with that bag is the untrained idiots at most bag drops around here strangle the life out of it. I have gotten where I do not let them pull the straps on it. If they have put it on by the time I come back out and it is choked I will readjust it and not tip. Hey if you are going to do a job do it right. As far as someone mentioned the carry straps dragging that has not been an issue either. In my older age that bag has been a real convenience getting in and out of the house and in the truck. I also like to go to the range and warm up before I play so I now walk from the parking lot to the range and then the bag drop. But yeah IMHO the Hoofer is the best of both worlds

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Just to add another option into your mix. Take a look at the OGIO Alpha Convoy 514 RTC

I had a chance to look one of these over the other day at PGA Superstore and was impressed as crossover bag. Full 14 way dividers and some very nice storage. Also a place to store the straps when using the bag on a cart. The straps don't come off but they do tuck away nicely and quickly. Probably to bulky for a full on carry bag but for those of us who use a push cart when we walk I think it's a very solid option. And being built with the CORDURA fabric it should be pretty solid.