How long do you stand over the ball?

Lamb

I am sure you guys remember back in the days when Sergio suffered the freeze before he hit the ball. I saw on a guy on the range with no less than 30 seconds. I guess he was working on something new and had many swing thoughts on his mind. With time most people will spend less time over the ball, that said some pro's will always take longer than the average joe. Are you in that camp?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you now that even with swing thoughts I won't stand over the ball for more than 5 seconds. I have a plan box and a play box. The plan box I go through my routine, whatever move I feel like I have to make for the shot, I visualize it pick my targetand set my grip. Once I move out of that box then I'm in play mode. I'll address the ball pick my intermediate target square up to this have a waggle or two to feel the weight if the head and remove tension and set everything in motion. The whole process probably takes 12-15 seconds at most..

We timed a guy at the Myrtle trip last year.

The Iphone clock said 29.5 seconds.

The standing and watching this crap every shot clock said 20 minutes.

Nothing good can happen if your frozen over every shot. Just hit the damn ball.

I got you beat. I have never seen this before but I was once paired up with a guy that stood still over the ball for an average of 55 seconds. Worst golfing experience.

Told him he has to pick it up as he was slowing down play and his reply was "sorry, I can't. I have a mental checklist I have to go through"

Best part, they were not good shots. Shanks, tops, slices that he could have easily done in a fraction of the time.

55 seconds!!!!

I got you beat. I have never seen this before but I was once paired up with a guy that stood still over the ball for an average of 55 seconds. Worst golfing experience.

Told him he has to pick it up as he was slowing down play and his reply was "sorry, I can't. I have a mental checklist I have to go through"

Best part, they were not good shots. Shanks, tops, slices that could he could have easily done in a fraction of the time.

55 seconds!!!!

Sadly he's not alone and these same people wonder why people don't like playing with them and why their games are usually substandard or definitely not as good as it should be.

Best part, they were not good shots. Shanks, tops, slices that could he could have easily done in a fraction of the time.

55 seconds!!!!

Okay wow! And here's me thinking 30 seconds was a lot.

I would love to find out what his mental check list is. Maybe he has a new swing?

Worst golfing experience.

55 seconds!!!!

I bet it was... :-D

Goodness. Why do people do this to themselves. I maybe over a ball 3-4 seconds. Maybe. Pick a dimple to focus on , and send it.

If I had a checklist To hit a golf ball I’d quit. That’s the antithesis of confidence. It would be like me trying to rangle a rattle snake. I may have a checklist for that. But I’d suck at it because I’m scared of snakes.

Why do people punish themselves ? If you’re that bad. Find something you’re decent at to spend time on.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

With the Driver, maybe 10 seconds if I'm honest. Everything else is half the time.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

With the Driver, maybe 10 seconds if I'm honest. Everything else is half the time.

That’s about right for me too, at least what it feels like. Maybe a little less? When someone is filming my swings, I feel like it’s longer. It’s like the uncertainty principle. You can’t measure it without affecting it. Lol

Below is a video of my routine, and a quick explanation:

1) I decide what SHAPE of shot I'm going to hit first, based on the hole/pin I'm playing: Low runner? I little higher? Right-to-left? Left-to-right? Depends on the hole/pin. On this hole, I'm hitting a pretty straight tee ball and my desired starting point is just right of the center of the fairway.

2) I pick out something about 3 to 10 feet in front of my ball that is on (or near) my desired STARTING line for the ball. I hit driver fairly straight, but some tee shots on par 3's or hard dogleg holes, I might be working the ball considerably, or the wind might be strong, so my starting line might be well to the right or left of a pin (or even the green), for instance. In those cases, the spot I picked would have to line up well right or left of the green/pin also.

I started doing this about two years ago, and it has decreased any anxiety I feel over a tee shot considerably (just like using the line on my ball helped me commit to my line with my putting). KNOWING that I'm aimed well is one less thing I have to worry about. It also makes for a very quick routine once you step into the ball, if you allow yourself to just go.

3) I step in and align my clubface to the "spot" I have picked out and then step my feet in.

4) A couple quick looks and then I pull the trigger and absolutely CRUSH/STRIPE the ball 230 to 240 right down the MIDDLE! LOL ;-)

[media=]

[/media]

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

1) I decide what SHAPE of shot I'm going to hit first, based on the hole I'm playing: Low runner? I little higher? Depends on the hole. On this hole, I'm hitting a pretty straight tee ball and my desired starting point is just right of the center of the fairway.

2) I pick out something about 3 to 10 feet in front of my ball that is on (or near) my desired STARTING line for the ball. I hit driver fairly straight, but some tee shots on par 3's or hard dogleg holes, I might be working the ball considerably, or the wind might be strong, so my starting line might be well to the right or left of a pin (or even the green), for instance. In those cases, the spot I picked would have to line up well right or left of the green/pin also.

I started doing this about two years ago, and it has decreased any anxiety I feel over a tee shot considerably (just like using the line on my ball helped me commit to my line with my putting). KNOWING that I'm aimed well is one less thing I have to worry about. It also makes for a very quick routine once you step into the ball, if you allow yourself to just go.

3) I step in and align my clubface to the "spot" I have picked out and then step my feet in.

4) A couple quick looks and then I pull the trigger and absolutely CRUSH/STRIPE the ball 230 to 240 right down the MIDDLE! LOL ;-)

[media=]

[/media]

This is a perfect PSR(Pre-Shot Routine) for someone to take and make their own!! Have a nice day David :) fondly, Madison

I just had this conversation Saturday with a friend that tends to freeze over the ball. Told him any thinking you do should be done before you address the ball - like OTT mentioned about a plan box and play box. Any mental gymnastics you go through over the ball causes tension, which is the enemy of golf.

Plan, align, and play.

55 seconds!!!!

That's a disgrace.

Fella in our club takes 35 seconds over the ball, motionless. And he's utter sh**e.

I believe that the longer you stand over the ball, the worse the shot will be.

1) I decide what SHAPE of shot I'm going to hit first, based on the hole I'm playing: Low runner? I little higher? Right-to-left? Left-to-right? Depends on the hole. On this hole, I'm hitting a pretty straight tee ball and my desired starting point is just right of the center of the fairway.

[media=]

[/media]
I can't even decide which fairway I'm going to hit haha

1) I decide what SHAPE of shot I'm going to hit first, based on the hole I'm playing: Low runner? I little higher? Right-to-left? Left-to-right? Depends on the hole. On this hole, I'm hitting a pretty straight tee ball and my desired starting point is just right of the center of the fairway.

[media=]

[/media]

How's the back and current swing working OB?

Back is getting better, and I'm playing mystifyingly well, actually. I use that step-through swing on every shot I play except chips and putts. Played Saturday at Bear Creek from just the blues (6,480, 71.8/138). 6 birdies and a 68. Only bogeys were a 3-putt that I hit fat from 25 feet, and a misjudged shot into a par 4 where the wind switched downwind on my and I one-hopped it over the green.

I honestly can't believe I'm able to shoot below the course rating with that golf swing, but the proof is in the pudding. I think 4 of my last 8 rounds have been below the course rating and my AVERAGE score is 73, with a low of 68 and a high of 78, and the 78 was on a day where my back was really bad on the back nine and I shot 34, 44.

1) I decide what SHAPE of shot I'm going to hit first, based on the hole/pin I'm playing: Low runner? I little higher? Right-to-left? Left-to-right? Depends on the hole/pin. On this hole, I'm hitting a pretty straight tee ball and my desired starting point is just right of the center of the fairway.

[media=]

[/media]

Love it.... Have you ever paired up with some randoms and done that off the first tee and asked if they want to play $100 skins?? lol

[media=]

[/media]

Love it.... Have you ever paired up with some randoms and done that off the first tee and asked if they want to play $100 skins?? lol

I have not, though I've been tempted! ;-)

Brother I wish you were close to me. I’ve got a flock of fat sheep at my course , dying to be sheared ! They have caught on to me recently , but we could get them once good paired up ... lol.

Edit ( I say flock because they are part turkey )

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I play with 2 guys, that is you blink you'll miss their shots. I'm not quite that fast, but not slow by any means. These guys are barely at the ball before their back swing starts. If you need to watch their shots in the morning into the sun you'd better be set and ready before they are or no one will see that ball.

Obee, that PSR is exactly what I do (major differences I'm sure being that you probably do it faithfully and, of course, the results that follow, lol). Only exception for me is I may take a couple of practice waggles on occasion while behind the ball to ingrain a feel, especially on little shots around the green. For me, putting is the same, and no practice stroke while up by the ball.

So, I guess I'm one of those don't really stand up to the ball very long types, and really don't spend much time behind it to be honest.

I'm sure not doing it faithfully is one of my many mental game faults - just get a little impatient or "cocky" (for no good reason) sometimes and I find when I'm not doing it my alignment is what suffers the most.

Been doing better, especially last season, after reading and rereading a lot of the PSR stuff on here (thanks Richard and others) and paying attention to the good advice in Nick O'Herns' little Tour Mentality book, but I'm sure consistency is the key.

Lots of good in that little video of Obee's.

Back is getting better, and I'm playing mystifyingly well, actually. I use that step-through swing on every shot I play except chips and putts. Played Saturday at Bear Creek from just the blues (6,480, 71.8/138). 6 birdies and a 68. Only bogeys were a 3-putt that I hit fat from 25 feet, and a misjudged shot into a par 4 where the wind switched downwind on my and I one-hopped it over the green.

I honestly can't believe I'm able to shoot below the course rating with that golf swing, but the proof is in the pudding. I think 4 of my last 8 rounds have been below the course rating and my AVERAGE score is 73, with a low of 68 and a high of 78, and the 78 was on a day where my back was really bad on the back nine and I shot 34, 44.

Let's fast forward to your back being back to normal and assume you're putting up lower numbers consistently. Are you sticking with the step through or going to your former swing?

Let's fast forward to your back being back to normal and assume you're putting up lower numbers consistently. Are you sticking with the step through or going to your former swing?

Sunday was the first day in which I did not hit a single ball where my back hurt. I shot 68 and was hitting the ball as well as I ever have (albeit shorter).

I am sticking with this and look forward to the weather getting warmer. I'm interested to see what my launch monitor numbers are with this swing. I think I'm going to spin the ball less and hit it just is far with driver. My irons will be a half a club shorter, most likely, As I don't have as much "whip" with this swing, which is a good thing for consistency but I do lose a bit of distance.

Also interested to see what my clubhead speed is with driver.

I play with 2 guys, that is you blink you'll miss their shots. I'm not quite that fast, but not slow by any means. These guys are barely at the ball before their back swing starts. If you need to watch their shots in the morning into the sun you'd better be set and ready before they are or no one will see that ball.

That’s me. Played with one of Club big dogs once a few years back. First time I had played in that group. That’s was his comment, when Tommis hitting you’d better not blink or you’ll miss it (not that missing most of my shots is a bad thing). Two others in our group are similar. The fourth, who might be over the ball for six or seven seconds, seems like he’s taking forever!