Reputable brands that are more cost effective

hypergolf

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to add that I want them custom fitted so buying used would not work unless they are to my specs or I can bring them to a club fitter after purchasing an older item.

So far I am getting Tour Edge, Maltby, Wilson Staff, Srixon, Mizuno, Cobra, Cleveland most frequently.

Which of these would give best custom fitting experience?

Probably depends on your local fitters and what they have available. Mizuno would probably be the easiest place to get fit amongst that group.

DT

With the ridiculous rise in cost of golf equipments in major brands such as Callaway, Taylormade, Ping, Titleist etc, I am trying to find alternative brands that are more cost effective yet performs equally well to the big brands.

Which would you recommend for woods, irons, wedges, putters and golf balls?

Sites like the preowned by the manufacturers and other outlets that sell used clubs. Let someone else take the hit, just like buying cars. The one(s) by the manufacturer are great deals and clubs are almost new in many cases.

But, you want fitted. In that case, I would say previous years models.

I forgot to add that I want them custom fitted so buying used would not work unless they are to my specs or I can bring them to a club fitter after purchasing an older item.

There are plenty of fitters that can fit virtually any set of clubs to your specs. From simple loft/lie adjustments to minor length tweaks to full on re-shafts, and I'd suspect still at a significant price advantage over a new set - especially if that new set comes with OEM custom fitting. While I complain that there are too many fitters out there whose primary goal is to sell you a bag full of pricey, shiny new stuff, there are still a decent number of fitters out there that are more than happy to work with what you bring them because they're still about their craft, first.

I find Cobra gear to perform as good or better than the bigger OEMs. If you know where and when to buy, you can find good prices on new/newer cobra gear. I'd also put Srixon up there with Cobra gear as well, however I like Cobra better as a complete package, because I much prefer Cobra woods to Srixon...

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

If you want a set of legit, professionally fit clubs, I don't think there's any way to truly get around the price tag.

A legit fitting takes a lot of time and effort - you gotta pay something for that. Then, you've got to purchase the off-the-rack equipment, and get it modified to your specific needs. That is never going to be cheap.

If you don't want to spend the coin, then you need to be very patient, get a bit guerilla, and be willing to do your own research.

With spring coming up in a few months, there are going to be demo days at your local courses/stores. Show up to a few of them and get friendly with the product reps. As long as you aren't a total jackass, and you look like you might buy something, they will let you hit pretty much everything they have. If you really work it, you can probably get someone to do a quick L/L/L fitting.

If you are willing to do this a few times, you should begin to get a sense of what works best for you - heads, shafts, etc. Once you have that, you can begin scouring the used market for full clubs that meet your specs, or just components that you can have built to your specs for a reasonable price.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

The most cost effective reputable brand used to be Nike before they pulled out - in my hands their kit performed the same if not better than the more "established" brands, but £249 for a Driver vs £399 made a fairly compelling case for the Nike stuff.

Of the brands still going it's probably Cobra, but I haven't hit enough of their stuff to comment on performance.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I've bought a ton of new clubs that were 3+ year old models. Absolute steals compared to their original list prices.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

For new clubs Hogan is the best deal in golf right now but they are factory direct only and you can’t get a fitting. If you get fitted first and know your specs they can do some customization with a detailed order.

I’ve played PTx nearly 3 years now and they will absolutely rival any major brand in quality and performance. Just over $700 for 7 clubs.

Wilson is probably a close second. They are making some nice irons the last few years at very good prices.

For new clubs I would go Hogan or Bridgestone if you believe one of the no-cost shaft options would work. Bridgestone in particular, the 2018 models were expensive when they first came out, but before Christmas they were I think less than $700 on the website - and it at least implied that the no-cost shaft options were still available. I BELIEVE Club Champion also has Bstone in their fitting options.

For new clubs I would go Hogan or Bridgestone if you believe one of the no-cost shaft options would work. Bridgestone in particular, the 2018 models were expensive when they first came out, but before Christmas they were I think less than $700 on the website - and it at least implied that the no-cost shaft options were still available. I BELIEVE Club Champion also has Bstone in their fitting options.

But if you buy anything THROUGH Club Champion you will need to take out a second mortgage on your house to pay for the Clubs! LOLOLOL! ; )

If you're working on a budget and you still want new with your specs I don't see how it's all that difficult really.

• Working from the bottom up Wilson Staff make some great performing balls that can be had cheap.
  • For putters and wedges I would look to Cleveland, especially after the next model year is released.
  • Irons, Maltby as the new TS-1's and TS-2's are getting a lot of love. Buy the heads you want with the shaft of your choice. Great if you only want a half set or so.
  • For woods I think it's hard to beat NOS Cobras or TM that are a model year or two old with the heavy discounting. Just get fit when they're current and buy later on discount.

You should be able to save a third to a half and still get new kit that is built to spec (provided you fit into one of the standard offerings).

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Just shop callawaypreowned.com

Great prices, on like new condition clubs. Trade in, trade up and save more

I got both my fairways at CPO. Very nice. Nearly new for about half of retail.

I know, got my apex mb set for $350 total with my trade. Like new ! CPO are tough to beat, when you are buying clubs.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

With the ridiculous rise in cost of golf equipments in major brands such as Callaway, Taylormade, Ping, Titleist etc, I am trying to find alternative brands that are more cost effective yet performs equally well to the big brands.

Which would you recommend for woods, irons, wedges, putters and golf balls?

The best would be check with your local fitters. See what brands they use for fitting, how much they charge for a fitting and how much a set of clubs would cost from them. (The cost of a set of clubs depends how how much mark up the fitter puts on them) There are still fitters out there who don't charge like Club Champion or other big custom fitting shops. Going to demo days is a great idea to find out what you like but ordering custom clubs from big OEMs you may not be getting clubs that are the spec you have been fitted for. I would also stick with irons which allow loft and lie adjustments in case your swing changes a bit in the future. The brands I would look for are

Wishon: Woods and irons, wedges

Maltby: Irons and wedges

Alpha: Woods and irons

Tour Exotics: Woods

Wilson: Woods, irons, wedges

Mizuno: Woods, irons, wedges

BST

Yes

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Any model from last year will be way cheaper and easily as good as anything new. The depreciation on golf equipment is fast. So look for like new or slightly used. For new and a bit cheaper, I would put Maltby at the top in terms of quality vs price, and also Hireko’s stuff. The Maltby TS1 and TS2 are excellent new models.

Of major OEM’s, I’ve always found Bridgestone to be reasonable and very high qualtiy. Also like Cobra, Wilson and Srixon.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I've bought a ton of new clubs that were 3+ year old models. Absolute steals compared to their original list prices.

BT

This. Also, huge fan of Bridgestone which is cheap but really good IMO. At one point BT I know you had an all-Cobra bag with a lot of woods (that was very effective!). Not sure if youre still gaming that setup, but they were BioCells and they had some get up and go even a couple years after they came out.

The other thing that you can do to save money is pick a way to play and stick with it, knowing you're gonna have bad days. There are a lot of ways to swing a golf club (A swing, S&T, RotarySwing, hybrid methods, etc...). Getting "a swing" (i.e. a methodology) that works for you can really, really help you save money on fittings and such because you generally know what you want. If you're opening up the wedge greenside on virtually every shot its hard to imagine demo'ing a K grind, etc... If you are constantly switching between schools of thought you will constantly need new stuff.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

BT

This. Also, huge fan of Bridgestone which is cheap but really good IMO. At one point BT I know you had an all-Cobra bag with a lot of woods (that was very effective!). Not sure if youre still gaming that setup, but they were BioCells and they had some get up and go even a couple years after they came out.

The other thing that you can do to save money is pick a way to play and stick with it, knowing you're gonna have bad days. There are a lot of ways to swing a golf club (A swing, S&T, RotarySwing, hybrid methods, etc...). Getting "a swing" (i.e. a methodology) that works for you can really, really help you save money on fittings and such because you generally know what you want. If you're opening up the wedge greenside on virtually every shot its hard to imagine demo'ing a K grind, etc... If you are constantly switching between schools of thought you will constantly need new stuff.

Yes, still have the Cobras (Amp Cell Pros actually) and play them regularly. Very solid club. I have also got on a bit of a Mizuno rampage since we played (MP4, MP5, MP15, MP25 & MP69! Sad, I know.). When I look for a set of clubs, I don't focus on the newest stuff because there just isn't really any tech difference to be honest (OEMs are not BTW!). I find a set of heads I like and scour the web till I find a set at a suitable price. Same thing with my preferred shafts.

However, I have an edge in the fact that I've been building clubs since the '80s and don't have to rely on someone for fitting or assembly. The OP (and any golfer IMHO) should educate themselves on the proper techniques of prep and assembly of the clubs. It doesn't take a ton of time or effort. A beer and the right manuals and off and running. Tools can be had cheap too or even hand made! Remember all the home-made shaft pullers we've seen posted here in the forums? Go for it! It will broaden your opportunities and your knowledge in the game and allow you to have the clubs you want for a price that's reasonable.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

As others have pointed out there are many ways to acquire clubs more cost effectively, other brands, used, etc. But unless you are buying new clubs every year what does it matter? You are unlikely to see any real performance games for clubs over the last 5yrs, probably closer to the last 10yrs. If you want to buy new clubs just because you want them then ok, just don't expect any real changes on how they perform.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06