Rory worked with Brad Faxon on his putting this week.

Jagpilotohio

I remember when all the folks on here were bashing one of the Nike sumo drivers for lack of distance. Then a few weeks later it was recalled for being too hot. Only on GolfWRX.

Like clockwork: Applaud Faxon this week, not only his great advice but his acclaimed career as well, and then stomp on him after Rory's next three putt.

Making stuff up isn't going to make your posts any more credible.

Rory had the best putting week of his career after taking advice from Faxon who was widely regarded as one of the best putters on tour for a long time. Those are the facts.

Are you questioning the recall of the Sumo2? Or questioning the GolfWRX reception of the Sumo2?

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when all the folks on here were bashing one of the Nike sumo drivers for lack of distance. Then a few weeks later it was recalled for being too hot. Only on GolfWRX.

Like clockwork: Applaud Faxon this week, not only his great advice but his acclaimed career as well, and then stomp on him after Rory's next three putt.

Making stuff up isn't going to make your posts any more credible.

Rory had the best putting week of his career after taking advice from Faxon who was widely regarded as one of the best putters on tour for a long time. Those are the facts.

Are you questioning the recall of the Sumo2? Or questioning the GolfWRX reception of the Sumo2?

No I am questioning Fergie making stuff up that hasn't actually happened. I didn't mention drivers or Nike in my post. RIF

I imagine a couple of hours with Fax could work wonders on most people. He talks sense, and is more about feel than tech and mechanics. Met him a couple of time at Open. Absolute gentleman.

I recall Stricker doing the same with Tiger several years back, with a similar improvement in his putting. These guys are good enough that it often only takes a small tweak or reminder to put them back on track.

Never met him, but he does seem like a decent guy.

I think there is a whole untapped market out there for putting experts. I know there are a few like Utley, Stockton etc. George Low was the original of course

Cool to think mostly non-mechanical tweaks were so helpful .. sometimes with trackman etc I wonder if all the feel has gone out of the game for some players ie Shampoo vs say a Seve

Guys pay their swing guys big bucks but putting is 40% plus of the game .......

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Rory is doing exactly what he's done since he's been on tour. He's the streakiest top player in the game with the putter and the AP was no different. He didn't just find something with Faxon that he didn't find with Stockton. He's streaky with the flat stick. Always was and always will be.

Solid comment here.

Brad Faxon helped out the putting about as much as what Rory ate for breakfast on Sunday morning. And that passed too.

Rory is doing exactly what he's done since he's been on tour. He's the streakiest top player in the game with the putter and the AP was no different. He didn't just find something with Faxon that he didn't find with Stockton. He's streaky with the flat stick. Always was and always will be.

Solid comment here.

Brad Faxon helped out the putting about as much as what Rory ate for breakfast on Sunday morning. And that passed too.

It's not a criticism of Rory just a fact based on Rory's time on the PGA Tour. Everyone has a weakness and Rory's is his inconsistent putting.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Rory had a breakout round because he was overdue. Things came together.

Faxon. 8 wins and no majors. Faxon.

Sure. Pure coincidence that he met with Faxon and his putting went from absolute shite to #1.

I agree he was overdue, but sometimes you need some help to straighten you out. Nothing wrong with acknowledging the guy who helped you.

Here is my take on Rory. Can he follow it up, contend and finish strong or win again soon? As history has shown - probably not. He's a head case.

He took a suggestion and he made some putts.

At the 86 Masters Jack told his son to remind him to keep his head down while putting.

Does that make Jackie a hero or somewhat responsible for the win in 86? Nope.

My point - lots of solid putters on tour presently and through the years.

Most of them have NOT consulted with Brad Faxon.

If he wants to consult with someone - he should consult with a winner. These little suggestions from Faxon will not stand up under the pressure of a major.

Utter nonsense.

x2

Solid comment here.

I am sure it is just a wild coincidence that Rory had the best putting week of his career right after working with Faxon.

:WTF:

Solid comment here.

It's not a criticism of Rory just a fact based on Rory's time on the PGA Tour. Everyone has a weakness and Rory's is his inconsistent putting.

2017 Rory ranked 140th in putting

2016 he ranked 135th

2015 he didn't have enough rounds to qualify but his stokes gained was -.064 which would have ranked him 124

This year before he worked with Faxon his ranking was over 100. His putting has been pretty consistent most of his career. Consistently bad. 2014 the year he won 2 majors he ranked 41st, his best ranking by far. He only has 2 seasons in the top 100 in putting.

Rory had a breakout round because he was overdue. Things came together.

Faxon. 8 wins and no majors. Faxon.

Sure. Pure coincidence that he met with Faxon and his putting went from absolute shite to #1.

I agree he was overdue, but sometimes you need some help to straighten you out. Nothing wrong with acknowledging the guy who helped you.

Here is my take on Rory. Can he follow it up, contend and finish strong or win again soon? As history has shown - probably not. He's a head case.

He took a suggestion and he made some putts.

At the 86 Masters Jack told his son to remind him to keep his head down while putting.

Does that make Jackie a hero or somewhat responsible for the win in 86? Nope.

My point - lots of solid putters on tour presently and through the years.

Most of them have NOT consulted with Brad Faxon.

If he wants to consult with someone - he should consult with a winner. These little suggestions from Faxon will not stand up under the pressure of a major.

Utter nonsense.

x2

I’m not sure what history books Ferguson has been reading but I’m pretty sure McIlroy backed up his 2014 British Open win with wins in the next two PGA events he played in, and he also won two tournaments in May 2015 and another two in September 2016. I’d suggest history would completely repudiate his argument, and indicate that when Rory hits the sort of form he showed last weekend that he does back it up by contending and winning for a period.

Ferguson lives in his own little world when it comes to reason and logic. Bottom line is Faxon is an accomplished tour player and one of the greatest putters the games ever known. His advice returned Rory's confidence on the greens, watch him go on a tear now. To call Rory a head-case is inappropriate hyperbole at best. Golfers go in streaks, the game is hard and the parity on tour now is unprecedented.

Hey Holy Moses:

Did you not like Wozniacki? Or just think it would be demanding to have two world-class athletes married (and never together due to each one's travel schedule).

I thought she was first class -- especially handling Rory dropping her via text or a phone call (not in person).

TM M2 driver (2016)
TM M2 3 and 5 woods (2017)
PXG 19 degree
Mizuno MP 25, 4-9 (about to change)
Miura CB-57 PW
Miura wedges, 53 and 59, Y grind
1964/5 Wilson 8813

Hey Holy Moses:

Did you not like Wozniacki? Or just think it would be demanding to have two world-class athletes married (and never together due to each one's travel schedule).

I thought she was first class -- especially handling Rory dropping her via text or a phone call (not in person).

Caroline is great and seems like a pretty cool person. It’s hard to get the most out of your game when you have to travel all of the world to support your spouse. Erica can travel with Rory instead of two superstars having to mix to careers into one family.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

If someone hasn't already said:

Obviously Rory's got oodles of natural talent on the green. Faxon, for whatever reason, was able to remind him of that and that is gold. May Rory's confidence continue because it is fun as heck to watch.

Nike driver that looks like a Christmas tree ornament
Wilson ProStaff 3 hybrid stock UST 
Tommy Armour V25's s300 4-P
Vokey 52 (old)
Acushnet Bullseye putter with Ping grip

• 9 months later...

Bump

Looks like he is working with him again per Rory's IG.

Link: https://www.instagra...d=1mei1cax056a0

Lol, why put on intstatoners?

Free lesson if he did?

To pump the new TM putter?

Maybe he gets an extra $50k per post featuring a product. Putter does look pretty sweet.

I'd say that it's a combination of Rory promoting himself, his sponsors, and also Faxon, as a kind of thank you for giving him the lesson.

Bump

Looks like he is working with him again per Rory's IG.

Link: https://www.instagra...d=1mei1cax056a0

Lol, why put on intstatoners?

Free lesson if he did?

To pump the new TM putter?

Maybe he gets an extra $50k per post featuring a product. Putter does look pretty sweet.

I'd say that it's a combination of Rory promoting himself, his sponsors, and also Faxon, as a kind of thank you for giving him the lesson.

Bingo. SM is only a branding tool for celebrities/athletes. No one posts for fun like the rest of us normals.

we're all good putters on the practice green. Well most of us

Fax, teach Rors some power of positive thinking. He needs to get less down when he doesn't hit the perfect putt. He gave away the Masters last year after missing the eagle on 2.

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Fax, teach Rors some power of positive thinking. He needs to get less down when he doesn't hit the perfect putt. He gave away the Masters last year after missing the eagle on 2.

Totally agree. McIlroy is a headcase. A golf psychologist like Rotella could work wonders on him, but I suspect he's too stubborn to countenance going down that road.

Poor Phil Kenyon, well and truly ditched! I imagine he will be consoling himself by starting yet another war of words with someone on Twitter.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Poor Phil Kenyon, well and truly ditched! I imagine he will be consoling himself by starting yet another war of words with someone on Twitter.

I was intrigued by Phil Kenoyn, constantly hearing his name, but when he appeared in the Sky Sports' studio (during the Masters last year if I recall correctly) I was massively disappointed. I found him uninteresting and full of gibberish. Maybe he believes his own hype.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Incorrect (and I’ve been through this before with you presenting the actual facts of what transpired)… here it is/they are again:

Rory didn’t “mentally check out” after “missing the short eagle on 2 at Masters in rd4”. The reality that is golf is sometimes players (Rory that day) just didn’t have much of a swing all day and battled hard despite not getting quality results from the very start…

Hole 1:

Let me remind you Rory’s very first tee shot on hole 1 was a disaster block right and despite such a terrible start did well mentally digging deep, fighting to rescue a superb par from where he was. Do you remember Rory gained 1 shot on hole 1 when Reed made bogey?

Hole 2:

Despite Rory missing that 4ft eagle putt he STILL made birdie while Reed only made par. Have you forgot Rory gained yet another shot on Reed, so 2 shots in the first 2 holes? You really think Rory & his caddie didn’t know/speak of this 2 shot advantage they just created and “mentally checked out”?

Hole 3:

So Rory after gaining 2 shots in the first 2 holes you think Rory’s poor wedge on hole 3 missing the green resulting in bogey was a result of him “mentally checking out”? Or could it just be a poor wedge that he’s prone to recently?

Hole 4:

Do you think Rory’s stunning 5 iron from 232 yards to 3ft making birdie (gaining another shot on Reed) was Rory “mentally checking out” with Reed only making par?

The reality was Rory just didn’t have much of a swing from the very first hole, he battled hard all day to find something but if you don’t have it, you don’t have it - it happens, even to the very best - it’s still Golf. Let me give you an example using the same standards with Tiger… did he “mentally check out” in Rd 1 after making birdie and then 2 bogies on holes 4 & 5 shooting a relatively poor +1? Did Tiger continue to “mentally check out” in Rd 2 also shooting a poor +3 round? The reality is Tiger like Rory he just didn’t have it when he needed it and they both couldn’t find anything on different days.

Here’s Rory’s Greens Hit at Augusta in rds 1-3, he was 61%, 67%, 67% - but in round 4 he only hit 44% of greens. Putting can only do so much but the key to scoring is Approach play, and if you’re not hitting greens consistently, especially at AN when being out of position is so costly, then pars & bogey & doubles will inevitably fill your scorecard. This is what happened with Rory final round at AN and Tiger in rds 1 & 2. It’s Golf. Here’s Rory’s own words about his 4th round at Augusta 2018…

Rory on his Masters 2018 Performance:

"I was trying to hit good shots and good putts and anytime I felt like I hit a good shot I got myself on the wrong side of the pin or gave myself a tricky one down the hill.”

In closing, I would agree he “mentally checked out” at the Honda event a few years back, but since then I’ve noticed the opposite reaction when things haven’t gone his way by digging deep even though in the moment he still outwardly shows his emotions (and there’s nothing wrong with that). I could give you many examples of when Rory started poorly in a round / event and then dug deep to finish strong and sometimes win. Don’t mistake Rory wearing his frustration / emotions on his sleeve (face etc), as him “mentally checking out”. I actually appreciate this showing of emotion from him.