2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

I forget: IF I wanted to mimic Bryson’s pre-set impact set-up and TRY to do it on one steep plane, do I have to look into getting more upright clubs?

Or, can this still be achieved with my current 63 degree lie angles?

Sorry if this is repeat!

PS: Really liked the cobra black one length 60 degree wedge! Worked well for chipping the ball up quickly with square and open face.

I forget: IF I wanted to mimic Bryson’s pre-set impact set-up and TRY to do it on one steep plane, do I have to look into getting more upright clubs?

Sorry if this is repeat!

PS: Really liked the cobra black one length 60 degree wedge! Worked well for chipping the ball up quickly with square and open face.

I watch and study a lot of Kurt Junge's 'Set up for impact' videos on YouTube. I do not have a severely upright swing like Bryson. It works very well for me. I am not sure if this is considered 'single plane' or 'Natural Golf', but I know this...it works very well and I like the results.

Sorry if this is repeat!

The rule of thumb to convert equipment from conventional swing to a single axis swing was adding a 1" extension to the shaft, bend lie angles an additional 2* upright, and get larger grips to accommodate holding the club in the palm, along the lifeline.

Sorry if this is repeat!

The rule of thumb to convert equipment from conventional swing to a single axis swing was adding a 1" extension to the shaft, bend lie angles an additional 2* upright, and get larger grips to accommodate holding the club in the palm, along the lifeline.

It’s true that Natural Golf did that. But in the long run it didn’t work out to be a good rule of thumb. My 15 years swinging that way tells me to use normal length, grips just big enough to eliminate gaps in the palm of the trail hand, and possibly a degree or two upright.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Getting close to pulling the trigger...

I play a lot of tournament golf, how long did it take you to get confidence with these irons to try them out in anger?

It took me about a month, kinda went back and forth for a couple of weeks and then just dove in, repetition helps

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

I’m a bit of a head case with these irons. I think the concept makes a lot of sense and if I can make myself stick with them long term I truly think I would play better golf.

I keep going back to VL for a week or two at the time - usually because I think I am over swinging OL low lofted irons or not getting enough control with the wedges.

After a week or so of inconsistent contact with VL irons, over thinking my setup, etc I go back to OL and so the cycle continues.

To answer your question - I think if you truly commit to OL and 1) play with ball position a bit to get height on low lofted irons as well as 2) become comfortable with hitting wedges at OL, including hitting low spinners and choking up some to control distances even better then you will like them for tourney golf.... but if you’re anything like me then sell your VL irons to expedite the process.

2019:
G400LST 8.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI 60 stiff
Cobra 3/4 f9; Atmos Blue TS 7s
Cobra 4/5 f8+; Atmos Red TS 8s
3i - PW Miura CB1008; KBS Tour 120s; 2up +1/2”
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 flow neck 2* loft 71* lie
Bettinardi Something Fishy Prototype BB0; Registry #RJB2821; 2* loft; 71* lie

I'm a bit of a head case with these irons. I think the concept makes a lot of sense and if I can make myself stick with them long term I truly think I would play better golf.

I keep going back to VL for a week or two at the time - usually because I think I am over swinging OL low lofted irons or not getting enough control with the wedges.

After a week or so of inconsistent contact with VL irons, over thinking my setup, etc I go back to OL and so the cycle continues.

To answer your question - I think if you truly commit to OL and 1) play with ball position a bit to get height on low lofted irons as well as 2) become comfortable with hitting wedges at OL, including hitting low spinners and choking up some to control distances even better then you will like them for tourney golf.... but if you're anything like me then sell your VL irons to expedite the process.

Thanks, I actually got fit for the irons at the Club Champion over in Cary, great bunch of guys, far better than the one down in Charlotte.

That’s good to know. I live near Cary so maybe I will give them a try one day. Thanks

2019:
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

One thing I've been thinking about a bit with these single length irons...

Typically my miss with long irons is a block right and my miss with short irons is a pull. I'm thinking that the longer shaft in the short irons will reduce the tendency to come 'over the top' whilst the shorter irons in the longer clubs will reduce the chances on me dropping on the inside and hitting that big push?

Anyone else found this or think I'm on the right track

Typically my miss with long irons is a block right and my miss with short irons is a pull. I'm thinking that the longer shaft in the short irons will reduce the tendency to come 'over the top' whilst the shorter irons in the longer clubs will reduce the chances on me dropping on the inside and hitting that big push?

For sure RE longer shaft in higher lofted clubs.

I need to think about the latter with a club in my hand. You may be on to something.

I think I may bend 3-6 upright another degree and see how I fare, but for the most part I think I need to get past the mental block of not being able to put a smooth swing on a shortened long iron. I try to make up for the lack of length by swinging harder and it’s a hard habit to break. For me anyway, lol

2019:
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

I need to think about the latter with a club in my hand. You may be on to something.

I think I may bend 3-6 upright another degree and see how I fare, but for the most part I think I need to get past the mental block of not being able to put a smooth swing on a shortened long iron. I try to make up for the lack of length by swinging harder and it's a hard habit to break. For me anyway, lol

glad im not the only one blaming my equipment for this :)

was thinking of trying the forged tec one length in the 5 and 6, as im just not getting along with the forged one 5&6 at the moment. dont want to bend it up anymore cause im already at 4 or more.gonna try switching shaft out first to my preferred to see if that helps. i wish sterling hybrid was easier to order cause i love swinging the one length cobra hybrid.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I was looking at the cobra one length hybrid and wondering if I could just take a couple of inches off my hybrids and get the same result.I know it would not work out for the irons but with the hybrids it might.so I might give it a try with nothing to lose.

they are heavier and stronger if im not mistaken. so may take weight/picking a stronger loft to make it work. im sure somewhere in the archives of this thread lol, someone discusses this

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Uno Length Crew -

Very close to going all in on this and getting JumboMax grips.

Glove Size = Large = JumboMax Medium per their site

- My glove fits tight at first but stretches just enough to be perfect

- Would never think of getting an XL glove. L is my glove size

> Has anyone with a Large glove gotten a JumboMax Medium and then wished they had gotten a JumboMax Large?

> How was the Jumbo experience?

These things look huge!

Uno Length Crew -

Very close to going all in on this and getting JumboMax grips.

Glove Size = Large = JumboMax Medium per their site

- My glove fits tight at first but stretches just enough to be perfect

- Would never think of getting an XL glove. L is my glove size

> Has anyone with a Large glove gotten a JumboMax Medium and then wished they had gotten a JumboMax Large?

> How was the Jumbo experience?

These things look huge!

na medium is good.

I watch and study a lot of Kurt Junge's 'Set up for impact' videos on YouTube. I do not have a severely upright swing like Bryson. It works very well for me. I am not sure if this is considered 'single plane' or 'Natural Golf', but I know this...it works very well and I like the results.

I've watched his videos as well and have taken a couple of nuggets out of them. I have found my best success with the driver but have not had good results with the irons.

So this will be my third season with the single lengths and to be honest, I still love them. The only issue I really have - as a club ho - is boredom. I am dying for another OEM to come out with single length clubs but IMO this just isnt going to happen. Did not prefer the Edels so went back to Cobra and now I'm realizing...this is it. After hitting an M5 demo club a couple weeks ago, I realized that boredom is probably the only thing that would move me off these clubs at this rate.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I think I may bend 3-6 upright another degree and see how I fare, but for the most part I think I need to get past the mental block of not being able to put a smooth swing on a shortened long iron. I try to make up for the lack of length by swinging harder and it's a hard habit to break. For me anyway, lol

glad im not the only one blaming my equipment for this :)

was thinking of trying the forged tec one length in the 5 and 6, as im just not getting along with the forged one 5&6 at the moment. dont want to bend it up anymore cause im already at 4 or more.gonna try switching shaft out first to my preferred to see if that helps. i wish sterling hybrid was easier to order cause i love swinging the one length cobra hybrid.

Lol - trust me I know the Indian is the problem and not the arrow. Just wondering if an arrow adjustment can make this Indian shoot straight.

2019:
53* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge
59* TM HiToe; KBS Wedge

When I get tired, I tend to make those mistakes with irons. I have found that I don't do that any more. Is it the irons, or is it that I changed my setup and committed to SP/KirkJunge style swing? Probably a bit of both.

I've watched his videos as well and have taken a couple of nuggets out of them. I have found my best success with the driver but have not had good results with the irons.

So this will be my third season with the single lengths and to be honest, I still love them. The only issue I really have - as a club ho - is boredom. I am dying for another OEM to come out with single length clubs but IMO this just isnt going to happen. Did not prefer the Edels so went back to Cobra and now I'm realizing...this is it. After hitting an M5 demo club a couple weeks ago, I realized that boredom is probably the only thing that would move me off these clubs at this rate.

I think the issue is, we are club whores at heart. We long to experiment, dabble, mess around, and tinker, and we like gear.

As much as I love my Edel irons...when I see a set of MacGregor blades or a nice set of irons or whatever...I get the 'I want to try that' bad.

I think the issue is, we are club whores at heart. We long to experiment, dabble, mess around, and tinker, and we like gear.

As much as I love my Edel irons...when I see a set of MacGregor blades or a nice set of irons or whatever...I get the 'I want to try that' bad.

Couldn't agree more, now I just find myself looking at older irons, such as ones I couldn't afford in my younger years, have a set of hogans my grandfather bought me that will never leave and always had a thing for ping isi's one length does make ho'ing a little harder as I've gone through 2 sets of wishons, cobra f8, forged tec blacks and finally settled on the edels for now. Still trying to save up for national custom works to try and make a one length set.......or just start collecting putters

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

I certainly was. I quit chasing clubs. Since 1990, I've played (at least) the following irons, owning each set:

• Tour Edition (Ping clones)
  • Hogan Edge
  • Cleveland VAS 792
  • Ping Zing
  • TM Burner Bubble (graphite)
  • Mizuno blades (can't recall which)
  • Ping I3
  • TM Burner Bubble (steel)
  • Ping I5
  • Hogan Apex
  • Titleist 762
  • Ping I10
  • Ping G15
  • Ping Rapture
  • TM Rocketbladz
  • Ping G20
  • TM RSi1
  • Ping G
  • Wishon Sterling (single length)

There might be more; it's hard to remember them all. But when I switched to Sterlings more than 2 years ago, I quit my catting around and settled down. Committing to single-length clubs means you have to remain loyal--the options aren't there. Now if a single-length Ping should happen to walk into a bar (or club shop) I'm in....

Tried searching around but didn't see any exact situations.

Anyone go from the Cobra F7 OL to the Forged Tec blacks in OL? I played around with the F7's this year and had some luck. Still struggle with the 'short irons' (9, PW, etc) but big gain in long iron play. Wondering if anyone has made this direct transition and what were your thoughts? I know the forged tecs have some variable lie angles vs the f7's and I am also curious what, if any benefit, you saw in going from a cast type club to the forged. Hoping I might see some improvement in the short irons going back to a more compact players type club. But curious about the lie angle impacts as well.

Interested to hear anyone who made this same move in clubs.

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

Couldn't agree more, now I just find myself looking at older irons, such as ones I couldn't afford in my younger years, have a set of hogans my grandfather bought me that will never leave and always had a thing for ping isi's one length does make ho'ing a little harder as I've gone through 2 sets of wishons, cobra f8, forged tec blacks and finally settled on the edels for now. Still trying to save up for national custom works to try and make a one length set.......or just start collecting putters

A NCW set of irons from 6-GW would be awesome. I'd make mine off of the old MacGregor PMB Blades. Is such a thing even feasible?

I bet I could be the first guy to make a set of 'un-hittable' Single Length irons...LOL

These are beautiful, but terrifying to think about playing.

0d65ce0f6ad466e02ed966c3b87d21b1.jpg

A NCW set of irons from 6-GW would be awesome. I'd make mine off of the old MacGregor PMB Blades. Is such a thing even feasible?

I bet I could be the first guy to make a set of 'un-hittable' Single Length irons...LOL

These are beautiful, but terrifying to think about playing.

0d65ce0f6ad466e02ed966c3b87d21b1.jpg

Not likely. Single-length irons require that all the heads weigh the same and have the same lie angles. You might not be able to bend some of the heads enough--more than 2 degrees might be necessary. But the bigger issue is weight. The low-lofted irons will be too light and the high-lofted irons/wedges will be too heavy. Adding weight isn't too hard, but it will require a lot of lead tape. (You're only going up to a 6-iron, so perhaps not too much.) But going down to a PW will require you to grind off a lot of weight, possibly ruining the integrity of the club heads and almost certainly messing up their performance.

Then there's performance. There's more to getting proper gaps than lofts. You'll have to make up for shorter shafts and damper the impact of longer shafts. Wishon did that with the Sterlings by juicing up the COR in the lower-lofted irons and using a soft metal in the higher lofted irons/wedges. You won't have that option.

Feasible? Sure. Unhittable? Almost certainly. Performing? No way.

They do not require the same lie angles.

That's what I was going to say. And it's not necessarily about metal softness in the higher-lofted Sterlings, but rather how thick the face is. I think Tom used cast 8620 mainly for fitting and feel issues, and because he had success with that 8620/HS 300 steel face combo in the 771's.

Just sent my Sterlings away for a raw finish. I love these irons enough to know they're not leaving my bag so I'll invest in making them look old. Silly I know... But I love a raw.iron finish with some rust and patina.

I'll post some before and after pictures when they return.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Just sent my Sterlings away for a raw finish. I love these irons enough to know they're not leaving my bag so I'll invest in making them look old. Silly I know... But I love a raw.iron finish with some rust and patina.

I'll post some before and after pictures when they return.

Ooh, yes, please post pics. I'd love to see Sterlings in the nude...er....raw. I mean raw.