Arizona Course Help

Hello, This will be our 6th year boys Phoenix trip in 2019.

We are going the first week of April Staying in the Scottdale Area most likely.

Looking for some new courses to play.

Here is what we have played in the past:

Visti Verde

Longbow

Sundunes

Legends Trail

Sunridge Canyon

Eagle Mountain

Lookout Mountain

TPC Stadium

TPC Champions

Dinosaur

Talking Stick

Raven at Verrado

Legends Trail

Club West

Quintero

Trilogy

Troon North Monument

Troon North Pinnacle

Sidewinder

Stone Creek

We-Ko-PA

ASU Karsten

Thanks in advance for you suggestions.

Driver  G425 Ping Tour 65 R

3 Wood G410  Tensi Orange

G410 3 Hybrid Tensi Blue

G410 4 Hybrid Alta CB R

G425 Alta Graphite R 5-UW

Glide 54 & 58

Redwood Anser 

Q-Star Tour

Southern Dunes must be on your list.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Visti Verde

Longbow

Sundunes

Legends Trail

Sunridge Canyon

Eagle Mountain

Lookout Mountain

TPC Stadium

TPC Champions

Dinosaur

Talking Stick

Raven at Verrado

Legends Trail

Club West

Quintero

Trilogy

Troon North Monument

Troon North Pinnacle

Sidewinder

Stone Creek

We-Ko-PA

ASU Karsten

You have played more courses than many of us who live here! We should be asking you for your comments.

You could let us know something more about what you are looking for since, again, you have plenty of information based on your past experience...

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Easy. New course at Verrado(Victory); Wickenburg Ranch, Vistancia, Estrella, Papago, Legacy, Raven South Mountain, Los Caballeros, Boulders

Possible others: Aguila, Wigwam, Wildfire

Plus 1 to this. In April a great day could be had playing 36 at Los Cab and Wickenburg Ranch. Problem with that is you'd miss Little Wick

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Visti Verde

Longbow

Sundunes

Legends Trail

Sunridge Canyon

Eagle Mountain

Lookout Mountain

TPC Stadium

TPC Champions

Dinosaur

Talking Stick

Raven at Verrado

Legends Trail

Club West

Quintero

Trilogy

Troon North Monument

Troon North Pinnacle

Sidewinder

Stone Creek

We-Ko-PA

ASU Karsten

Notes about what you liked/didn't like can help with recommendations.

Visti Verde

Longbow

Sundunes

Legends Trail

Sunridge Canyon

Eagle Mountain

Lookout Mountain

TPC Stadium

TPC Champions

Dinosaur

Talking Stick

Raven at Verrado

Legends Trail

Club West

Quintero

Trilogy

Troon North Monument

Troon North Pinnacle

Sidewinder

Stone Creek

We-Ko-PA

ASU Karsten

Notes about what you liked/didn't like can help with recommendations.

home town is Pittsburgh PA, we play very much elevation changes and tree lined courses, thus when we come to AZ we look for elevation changes but mountain/desert courses. Quintero by far was the fav......Sunridge Canyon is a fav....as in Dinosaur and Sidewinder... Raven at Verado was liked by some but not by others....TPC played twice...overrated in my eyes for the price but had to do it just because....We also liked the Troons pinnacle and monument.....but i think the troons are liked because we like the local restaurant for after golf at Pinnacle Grille off Jomax road....

Driver  G425 Ping Tour 65 R

3 Wood G410  Tensi Orange

G410 3 Hybrid Tensi Blue

G410 4 Hybrid Alta CB R

G425 Alta Graphite R 5-UW

Glide 54 & 58

Redwood Anser 

Q-Star Tour

I can't add anything new to what the first couple posters put. Wickenburg Ranch is a HIKE from North Scottsdale but it's my favorite course out here. To me, it's everything Quintero isn't that you want it to be. It's pretty, the conditioning is outstanding, it's never busy, and the things it provides which Quintero doesn't... For starters, it has a clubhouse and a really solid restaurant. More importantly, it has a really good layout. It's a fun golf course to play. The lil' wick par 3 course is a nice touch if you have the time to kill.

Grayhawk Raptor and Southern Dunes are glaring omissions from your list. Those are kind of on the must play list once you get past Troon and Wekopa. The new Victory course at Verrado is also very solid and worth playing (I like it more than the original Verrado course). Camelback Ambiente is a good course, although, I'm not as fascinated with it as others are on this forum. It's solid but it's nothing more than solid in my book.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

This is the great thing about Scottsdale. You still have more places to check out!

-Ill second Southern Dunes as a must-play.

-Camelback Ambiente isn't a bad option for someone looking for something new. Not a "scottsdale style" desert course so I don't usually recommend to visitors but it seems to get hype among the locals. It's an out-and-back links-style design.

-Mountain Shadows is a must-play short course in my opinion. Iconic location at the base of Camelback on one of the most exclusive pieces of real estate in the valley. I think it must be one of the oldest Scottsdale courses too, dating back to the swanky 60's times, and restored more recently. If you've played La Quinta Mountain Course it's like a mini version of that. Not many amazing holes but the venue is really fun. And it can be played in 2 hours and is only 10 minutes from old town, so very easy to squeeze in.

-The Faldo course at Wildfire might be a good option. The Palmer course is good but not super memorable. These rival Grayhawk, I think, although you've been here enough times that you will probably need to play Grayhawk just to say you've played it....Either Talon or Raptor. Those are the two big omissions from your list in that immediate area. The Grayhawk courses are excellent and have great routing and a few very memorable holes, but for some reason playing up there I always feel like I'm in a valley at the top of a hill. I honestly prefer the views at Talking Stick or even McCormick but it's a personal thing.

-Wickenburg is another glaring omission if you're willing to drive out there.

-If you want cheaper places of great quality and classic desert feel, check out Aguila, Trilogy, Legacy, and Papago.

-I would probably play We-Ko-Pa Saguaro every single time I visited, If I was from out of town. Best public course in the state, and is probably out-done by only a couple private courses in my opinion.

Lastly, The Phoenician just finished the course re-design and I've been curious to check it out. Probably overpriced but if anyone can weigh in, please do so.

Ill second Southern Dunes as a must-play.

Camelback Ambiente isn't a bad option for someone looking for something new. Not a "scottsdale style" desert course so I don't usually recommend to visitors but it seems to get hype among the locals.

Mountain Shadows is a must-play short course in my opinion. Iconic location at the base of Camelback on one of the most exclusive pieces of real estate in the valley. I think it must be one of the oldest Scottsdale courses too, dating back to the swanky 60's times, and restored more recently. If you've played La Quinta Mountain Course it's like a mini version of that. Not many amazing holes but the venue is really fun. And it can be played in 2 hours and is only 10 minutes from old town, so very easy to squeeze in.

The Faldo course at Wildfire might be a good option. I prefer that to Grayhawk. The Palmer course is ok but not super memorable. Those are the two big omissions from your list in that immediate area. For some reason playing up there I always feel like I'm in a valley at the top of a hill. I honestly prefer the views at Talking Stick or even McCormick but it's a personal thing.

Wickenburg is another glaring omission if you're willing to drive out there.

If you want cheaper places of great quality and classic desert feel, check out Aguila, Trilogy, and Papago.

Lastly, The Phoenician just finished the course re-design and I've been curious to check it out. Probably overpriced but if anyone can weigh in, please do so.

Per the Southwest forum conditions thread, Mountain Shadows lost their greens during overseed. The Phoenician is also still terrible.

Assuming you only played one of the Talking Stick and WeKoPa courses, you didnt specify, then you can play the other ones, say WKP Cholla and TS Pipaash, plus Wickenburg Ranch, Ak Chin Southern Dunes, the two Boulders courses North/South, the two Grayhawk Raptor/Talon, and I would suggest a possible day trip up to Seven Canyons in Sedona. That makes 9 courses to choose from. Plus Mountain Shadows par 3 course for dessert.

We are playing the south course at talking stick when we are there for the WMO

Can’t wait

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Visti Verde

Longbow

Sundunes

Legends Trail

Sunridge Canyon

Eagle Mountain

Lookout Mountain

TPC Stadium

TPC Champions

Dinosaur

Talking Stick

Raven at Verrado

Legends Trail

Club West

Quintero

Trilogy

Troon North Monument

Troon North Pinnacle

Sidewinder

Stone Creek

We-Ko-PA

ASU Karsten

Great list! I have played all of these . Arizona is my favorite golf destination. I have a few more to add to list. There is so much golf there and so many great courses.

Grey Hawk

Kierland

Golf Club of Estrella

Poston Butte

Las Sendas

Legacy

Ocotillo

Superstition Springs

Whirlwind - Devils Claw

Wildfire- Palmer and Faldo

Foothills

Dove Valley

If Quintero is your favorite, you may have wildly different views of courses (I'd go 1. Wekopa Saguaro 2. TN Pinnacle 3. Wekopa Chola....Quintero close to last), but....

I'm really a fan of Apache Stronghold. Yes, I am well aware that it is a far drive from Scottsdale and, yes, I'm well aware it's terrible conditioned compared to everything mentioned here. Yes, there are many ground-under-repairs in the middle of greens. Yes, I was cleaning dust out of every crevice of my bag and body for weeks.

But otherwise, it's hard to ask for more. You get elevation and undulation you're asking for and some of the most unique and interesting holes I've ever played. Some favorites:

-A par 4 where you have to choose between a blind tee shot and a blind approach, or play it as a par 5. Taking 1 of the shots blind allows to play the other straight on.

-Par 3 with what I'd call a 90 degree rotated Biarritz green such that the valley is parallel to the line of play rather than perpendicular. Weak players are thrilled to hit the big green, but better players ticked about 3 putting through the valley.

-Drivable par 4 with a hidden slope and pit to swallow reckless tee balls.

If you can overlook the conditioning and enjoy it for what it is, it's a blast. I paid a combined $25 for the round and a polo, so you can balance out your round at the TPC.

If Quintero is your favorite, you may have wildly different views of courses (I'd go 1. Wekopa Saguaro 2. TN Pinnacle 3. Wekopa Chola....Quintero close to last), but....

I'm really a fan of Apache Stronghold. Yes, I am well aware that it is a far drive from Scottsdale and, yes, I'm well aware it's terrible conditioned compared to everything mentioned here. Yes, there are many ground-under-repairs in the middle of greens. Yes, I was cleaning dust out of every crevice of my bag and body for weeks.

But otherwise, it's hard to ask for more. You get elevation and undulation you're asking for and some of the most unique and interesting holes I've ever played. Some favorites:

-A par 4 where you have to choose between a blind tee shot and a blind approach, or play it as a par 5. Taking 1 of the shots blind allows to play the other straight on.

-Par 3 with what I'd call a 90 degree rotated Biarritz green such that the valley is parallel to the line of play rather than perpendicular. Weak players are thrilled to hit the big green, but better players ticked about 3 putting through the valley.

If you can overlook the conditioning and enjoy it for what it is, it's a blast. I paid a combined $25 for the round and a polo, so you can balance out your round at the TPC.

If there was ever a way to get me to not play a course, you just did it.

• Like 1

That's cool. You can play Quintero, I'll play Apache Stronghold, and everybody goes home happy. Isn't that what golf's about?

That's cool. You can play Quintero, I'll play Apache Stronghold, and everybody goes home happy. Isn't that what golf's about?

Of course. Sorry didn't mean to come off confrontational, just making a joke! Everyone likes different courses and different things.