Spieth back to old Driver

Jeffyr11

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think Speith had a great year and a half where he couldn't miss putts. He peaked very early, still has some wins in him... But nothing like what he was in 2015. He doesn't dominate the game in any category anymore. As soon as his putter cooled down, so did he.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

It has been known for over a month that Titleist was going to spend what it needed to get the driver numbers this year. so this week is not a surprise. They are THE company to pay inducement dollars to play their drivers this year.

While in the past they were only paying for Ball-Shoes-gloves. They are putting a lot of effort and money into the TS drivers for tour numbers counts. The issue is that while in the past the Titleist drivers were more accurate than long. They want to break out of that image. The early problem for them is that the TS series is much less accurate than their drivers of the past and while they seem to have gotten more competitive in distance they are not longer than the new stuff of TM, Callaway and Ping.

And now they are more "directionally challenged". I have played with some bombers who have tried them out and have quickly gone back to what they were playing previously. We'll see how it goes over the next few weeks on tour. If money rules it will be interesting to see.

Can you post the picture of the TM you have listed in your bag? I'd love to see it. Hilarious you think Titleist drivers are more crooked...

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

Being a terrible putter myself, it’s actually hard for me to watch him putt anymore. You can see the uncertainty and uncomfortable body language every time he gets over the ball.

To go from one of the best putters in the world to mediocre and Yippy over a short period of time must be incredibly scary.

It has been known for over a month that Titleist was going to spend what it needed to get the driver numbers this year. so this week is not a surprise. They are THE company to pay inducement dollars to play their drivers this year.

While in the past they were only paying for Ball-Shoes-gloves. They are putting a lot of effort and money into the TS drivers for tour numbers counts. The issue is that while in the past the Titleist drivers were more accurate than long. They want to break out of that image. The early problem for them is that the TS series is much less accurate than their drivers of the past and while they seem to have gotten more competitive in distance they are not longer than the new stuff of TM, Callaway and Ping.

And now they are more "directionally challenged". I have played with some bombers who have tried them out and have quickly gone back to what they were playing previously. We'll see how it goes over the next few weeks on tour. If money rules it will be interesting to see.

Can you post the picture of the TM you have listed in your bag? I'd love to see it. Hilarious you think Titleist drivers are more crooked...

I am playing an M5 9.5* with a Fujikura Evolution V 757-S. I posted a picture in another thread about the M5s and M6s although that was before I settled on the 757. I believe it is post #2638 on page 89

My previous driver and now my backup is what you list in your bag only with a Fuji Evo III 661-S. But this isn't about me, I am extremely accurate. A few years ago I used to hit the SLDR 430 so straight I could hit it down a hallway in the dark. That was supposed to be one that wasn't forgiving. Anyway my comments about the come from what other very good players have related and from what I have witnessed primarily. While I have tested it. I haven't spent any substantial time playing it. Again it isn't about me. The players who I comment about have had various drivers in their bag from TM, Callaway and Ping mostly that I can recall.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  STEALTH 2 Plus 8.0 driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

Being a terrible putter myself, it’s actually hard for me to watch him putt anymore. You can see the uncertainty and uncomfortable body language every time he gets over the ball.

To go from one of the best putters in the world to mediocre and Yippy over a short period of time must be incredibly scary.

I agree with everyone on here. He's too good to not get his putting back at some point. But his ball striking has never been top 10 in the world type level, so he can't carry himself through the putting droughts, a la someone like Justin Rose.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 10.5 Diamana
3W: EPIC Diamana
5W: EPIC Hzrdus
Callaway Rogue Pro, 50/56/60 TM
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball

He needs to go back to the old driver and shaft. His driving has been horrendous since he switched to the IZ shaft

Yep, that is what I said a couple of posts back, I'm really surprised he has stayed with this shaft, it never has worked for him...

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

Hank Haney was up in a arms on his show today that anyone could question his belief that Jordan has the yips. He said he is one of the worldwide experts on the yips.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Hank Haney was up in a arms on his show today that anyone could question his belief that Jordan has the yips. He said he is one of the worldwide experts on the yips.

I think Hank needs to stick to infomercials....he is surely an expert on those...

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

He is a total mess upstairs right now.

I listened to Haney's radio show on XM this morning and he couldnt stop talking about how JS had the yips and needed some serious change, i.e. McCormick and or Greller being on the hot seat.

There was a video from Luke Kerr-Dineen that concluded that Jordan doesn't have the yips, he's just too tight and not loose enough when putting https://www.golf.com...lems-continue/. Another article on this site says that Spieth's putting is not even the problem, especially inside of 5 feet http://www.golfwrx.c...ntirely-wrong/.

I'm in agreement that Spieth's putting is the problem over the last year and a half. Last year he was one of the worst putters on Tour, especially from 6 feet and in. Last year his driving and approach were 50th and 33rd, but he was the 123rd ranked putter and 120th from 6th feet and in. His driving has been really bad in the 2019 season, but the sample size is small.

Ping Vault Arna

If I'm a tour pro I know every minute spec of the shaft and head and grip that works in my driver ... and if I change the new unit replicates the old

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

He is a total mess upstairs right now.

I listened to Haney's radio show on XM this morning and he couldnt stop talking about how JS had the yips and needed some serious change, i.e. McCormick and or Greller being on the hot seat.

There was a video from Luke Kerr-Dineen that concluded that Jordan doesn't have the yips, he's just too tight and not loose enough when putting https://www.golf.com...lems-continue/. Another article on this site says that Spieth's putting is not even the problem, especially inside of 5 feet http://www.golfwrx.c...ntirely-wrong/.

I'm in agreement that Spieth's putting is the problem over the last year and a half. Last year he was one of the worst putters on Tour, especially from 6 feet and in. Last year his driving and approach were 50th and 33rd, but he was the 123rd ranked putter and 120th from 6th feet and in. His driving has been really bad in the 2019 season, but the sample size is small.

Agree that putting is the issue...Another perspective that I've always had about him, is that he isnt a big bomber, so if and when he doesnt drive it straight, he is that much farther behind in proximity...Vs most of the top 10, that even if they arent in the fairway, they are 30 yards in front of Jordo, meaning shorter clubs in. Domino effect really.

I'm sure ill be called crazy. But I think he ends up with a TM driver and maybe more before it's all said and done.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I'm sure ill be called crazy. But I think he ends up with a TM driver and maybe more before it's all said and done.

Before his career is over or before 2019 ends?

Ping Vault Arna

I dont think any company makes crappy equipment, might not fit someone's eye. Speith is in his own head, something has to give.

This is spot on IMO. If there were no equipment deals on tour 99% of players would have a mixed bag.

TITLEIST TS3 10.5°

TITLEIST 915F 16.5°

TITLEIST 818 H1 21°

TITLEIST U500 4i

TITLEIST T100S 5-PW

TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48.10F/54.10F/58.08M

ODYSSEY WHITE HOT OG V-LINE

TITLEIST PRO V1

Based on what? Hasn't he played Titleist his entire career, both professionally and as an amateur?

TITLEIST TS3 10.5°

TITLEIST 915F 16.5°

TITLEIST 818 H1 21°

TITLEIST U500 4i

TITLEIST T100S 5-PW

TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48.10F/54.10F/58.08M

ODYSSEY WHITE HOT OG V-LINE

TITLEIST PRO V1

I just think Speith had a great year and a half where he couldn't miss putts. He peaked very early, still has some wins in him... But nothing like what he was in 2015. He doesn't dominate the game in any category anymore. As soon as his putter cooled down, so did he.

Kinda like old Rors ? No?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'll oblige, you are crazy, no way that happens.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

BS

I am playing an M5 9.5* with a Fujikura Evolution V 757-S. I posted a picture in another thread about the M5s and M6s although that was before I settled on the 757. I believe it is post #2638 on page 89

My previous driver and now my backup is what you list in your bag only with a Fuji Evo III 661-S. But this isn't about me, I am extremely accurate. A few years ago I used to hit the SLDR 430 so straight I could hit it down a hallway in the dark. That was supposed to be one that wasn't forgiving. Anyway my comments about the come from what other very good players have related and from what I have witnessed primarily. While I have tested it. I haven't spent any substantial time playing it. Again it isn't about me. The players who I comment about have had various drivers in their bag from TM, Callaway and Ping mostly that I can recall.

Why did you switch from the SLDR 430 if you hit it so straight? Just wondering

Speith has always been a streaky player. He’ll be back.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

Thought that it was interesting to see Jordan Speith went back to his old driver to start the year.

I thought he took the TS2 out last year after one tournament because it wasn't skinny enough http://www.golfwrx.c...ieth-2018-witb/

Just hard to believe with how much hype has been given towards the new Titleist drivers and they can't get him to stick with it.

It goes to show that a lot of new equipment has arbitrary changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly. Speith is super streaky with the putter and as a result will be a guy that wins a tourney here and there and maybe a major. His swing is not good enough to win a big tourney with a mediocre putter and that's just a fact.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Exactly. Speith is super streaky with the putter and as a result will be a guy that wins a tourney here and there and maybe a major. His swing is not good enough to win a big tourney with a mediocre putter and that's just a fact.

For a guy who’s went 26-4-23-2-23 strokes gained tee to green In His career I’d say his swing is plenty good to win

What is the basis for this "fact" other than a hunch? He was 30th in Strokes gained approach last year, and 1st the year before, the hallmark of a quality ball striker. Streaky putter sure, but he is a quality ballstriker for sure.

top 5 in scoring/ top5 in birdies/ top 5 short game stats/ top 5 in distance to the hole/ top 5 in final round scoring/ top 5 in distance to hole inside 125... yeah hes terrible. dont mistake a slump with reality

For a guy who's went 26-4-23-2-23 strokes gained tee to green In His career I'd say his swing is plenty good to win

Yeah but facts are lazy ;). his situational play has cost him in the last 12-16 months. hes had plenty of opportunities and didnt pull victories out. He'll grow from that. Guy has the heart of a lion. Could have mailed it in on sunday after starting bad (+3) but grinded back to even. hes on the cusp in my opinion