2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Shaft flex and age

HighlandLaird

I am 76 and was persuaded to change from the stiff shafts I always previously used, because my swing speed had diminished with my increasing age. However, I have found myself hitting rotten shots, with all types of faults, including fats, thins and even shanks!! I recently pulled out some clubs with stiff shafts I used years ago, and immediately found that all these poor shots disappeared as if by magic. No competent club fitter would advise someone like me with low swing speed and average drive carry of only 220 yards to use stiff, heavy shafts, but I am finding that they work. Why do I seem to get away with DG S300 shafts in the irons and heavy graphite stiff shafts in the woods? Far from losing distance, I'm actually hitting both woods and irons further.

Have any of you experienced similar unexpected outcomes and why do you think this happens?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the older clubs you're used to are at the right swing weight for you, or you're just used to using them....

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

I'm opposite. Give me a ladies flex and I flush it every time. Doesn't go anywhere but it feels nice.

Something to be said for clubs that are trackman heros but don't perform in wild. It happens. I have had better luck fitting outdoors as opposed to indoors.

Back to my old X2Hot 9*
TM M3 15*
Steelhead XR 3h 19*
i25s 4-UW
Ping Glide 54* / Cleveland 60*
O-Works 1W
ProV1

It's not all about swing speed. Weight and the way you load the shaft in transition are major factors.

Many times as we get older even though we no longer create a ton of speed, we still put a decent load on the shaft in transition as our swing becomes shorter. The way a shaft flexes can really influence your transition.

It's likely that you are more comfortable with the weight and the feeling of flex in the transition with the stiffer shafts. Unless you're hitting the ball lower than optimal and having trouble with launch or carry distance, I'd stick with the stiff flex since it's working.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Differences in shaft flex can change the feel of the club. More flex in the shaft itself can also promote an increase in loft and closing of the face, although at your speeds this would be minimal. I think it just come down to you being used to the heavier, stiffer shafts. Maybe that is what you need for your timing or maybe it's just a matter of putting in the reps to get your body used to the new weights and flexes.

I think club "fitting" is very over rated for amateurs and seniors. Hit what works for you regardless of what a fitter THINKS may work.

I think you might be on the right track, especially with irons. Unless you're at an extreme high or low on some parameter like height, swing speed, etc. an off the rack set of irons in an R or S should perform just fine.

I am 76 and was persuaded to change from the stiff shafts I always previously used, because my swing speed had diminished with my increasing age. However, I have found myself hitting rotten shots, with all types of faults, including fats, thins and even shanks!! I recently pulled out some clubs with stiff shafts I used years ago, and immediately found that all these poor shots disappeared as if by magic. No competent club fitter would advise someone like me with low swing speed and average drive carry of only 220 yards to use stiff, heavy shafts, but I am finding that they work. Why do I seem to get away with DG S300 shafts in the irons and heavy graphite stiff shafts in the woods? Far from losing distance, I'm actually hitting both woods and irons further.

Have any of you experienced similar unexpected outcomes and why do you think this happens?

I am the same way. If I go overly light, it screws up my tempo.

If I suggested anything, it would be to try the R300 (maybe soft stepped) to see if it gives you better ball flight and distance. You could also try SLIGHTLY lighter graphite in your woods being VERY careful to balance them to give you the same feel you have with your current clubs.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

OP, it would be interesting to know the makeup of the newer iron set that doesn’t work plus that of the set that does work.

Swing speed alone doesn’t dictate shaft flex, the nature of the swing generating the speed is more important. There is also that old chestnut, what is shaft flex, as many know, flex labels lie, how a shaft bends, can be more important than it’s flex label and even more impotent the weight of the shaft, has to match the golfer’s swing aggression.

There is a chance one or more of other build parameters may wrong with your new set rather than simply the flex label (total weight, swing weight/balance, shaft bend profile, length, lie, grip)

Just to add 220 yards carry equates to a around the low to mid 90’s driver clubhead speed, putting your 6 iron in the low 80’s definitely not real world slow. Throw in a bit of aggression and Dynamic Gold S300 might be the recommendation.

There are no "absolutes" in golf.

Just pay attention to how much spin you're getting on irons.

If balls just fall out of the sky, you're probably not loading the shafts correctly and may need to go softer or a different profile.

I find that graphite shafts give you more choices of bend profiles than steel (how they are engineered).

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

A competent clubfitter would help you find what works for you, not put you into a set of clubs because of some preconceived notion of what you should be using based solely on your age or swing speed.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

... Why do I seem to get away with DG S300 shafts in the irons and heavy graphite stiff shafts in the woods? Far from losing distance, I'm actually hitting both woods and irons further.

Club designer Tom Wishon notes that when older golfers decide to go lighter on their club shafts, they often go too light the first time.

At age 64, I had my old X20 Tours reshafted from PX 5.0 (115 grams) to NS Pro 8950 - Reg. flex. I was fortunate to have a X20T demo 6i along with my main set, so I had tested out different shafts side-by-side before going with reshaft. The change helped stabilize my distance between clubs, but not a super jump in yardage.

In the interim, I had both rough demo-day and more formal fittings for irons. I was generally recommended to get the KBS Tour 105 or the Ping AWT 2.0 (both in regular flex). KBS slightly heavier than the 8950, the Ping AWT the same. One time I got recommended for the KBS Tour 105 in Stiff - softstepped.

For my current irons, I got the Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten irons, a model that went out of production a few months ago. I had hit the irons twice at different demo days and really liked them. The golf shop where I finally bought them had two sets of clubs in KBS Tour 90 shafts, one Regular and one Stiff flex. I was able to do a side-by-side of the two sets. The R-flex gave me a much tighter range dispersion (possibly I tried to help the heavier Stiff flex?) so I went with the R-flex. Incidentally, it weighs same as NS Pro 8905, it just feels livelier during swing.

I would say that for seniors, you use fitting recommendations as a starting point, but then see what really works. Probably good advice for all ages.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

How much distance do you expect R vs S shafts to provide? If you have a mental block using R flex, maybe just stick with what you're comfortable with and take an extra club? Just a thought, fitting is another option which should instill confidence in whatever shaft type/flex you're fitted to.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks for your replies----they are greatly appreciated. I'm sure you're all correct in that being used to clubs is probably vitally important. It also has made me think about what exactly I was anticipating from more flexible shafts in terms of distance----the better contact I'm getting with stiff shafts is probably making up for any possible theoretical distance advantages of more flexible ones?! I also do accept the point that there are no industry standards for shaft flex.

Thank you all for taking the time to let this old codger know your thoughts!!