2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Prices in the UK

babyfade

I know a course that is rising from 160 to 180. Or from 85 to 95. And they rise that much every year. I just wunder if thats normal for golf courses? Or are we in a time where travelling to golf courses gets more popular?

Two trends working towards rising visitor greens fees in the UK:

(1) strong global economy means a lot of golf tourism;

(2) the brexit devaluation of the pound means that prices have actually been pretty flat for foreign visitors; looking back at my email receipts, a round at Royal Dornoch was GBP 120 in 2015 - $193...and it's GBP 160 in 2018 - $210 a 33% rise in GBP but "only" an 8% rise in USD.

This.

Also, generally tourism businesses including golf courses have been adopting Demand Based Pricing. Having just booked several tee times in Scotland for off-season play, tee times are a fraction of high season prices.

Until they reach market equilibrium wouldn't you keep raising the rate?

This.

Also, generally tourism businesses including golf courses have been adopting Demand Based Pricing. Having just booked several tee times in Scotland for off-season play, tee times are a fraction of high season prices.

Until they reach market equilibrium wouldn't you keep raising the rate?

I now at my course, visitors are limited and the fees go to subsidise our fees as members, without the visitors our fees will be double the price.

winter visitor fees are a lot cheaper but the course is not in good condition. it is 25 for me to take a guest April 1 to end October, then only 15 the winter months; the price reflects the course conditions.

I love nattering to the visitors, great hearing their stories etc.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Unless clubs are desperate for visitor income, I think we will continue to see a trend of higher green fees with the eventual goal of having fewer visitors. This balance is what best serves practically all member owned UK clubs. That said, there are very few clubs which enjoy this luxury. Most clubs...as in 90%, would kill for more visitor income. Unfortunately, most clubs don't have a product which warrants much travel time...some of these clubs are struggling to survive.

The high green fees started to drive me away from the bucket list courses about 15 or years ago. Since then I have concentrated on lesser name courses which tend to be far more reasonably priced. It was only then that I fully realized how deep the pool of quality golf is in the UK. Sometimes, what separates bucket list from 2nd/3rd tier courses comes down to very little. Often times that difference is total yardage...meaning many of these backwater courses are very short on the card. Many of these courses have not invested much in so called "improvements". Sometimes that may mean trees could be an unhealthy factor or greens may have too much thatch etc etc. However, there is a lot of charm to discover for those who care to look. I have especially enjoyed finding "hilltop" courses which often play like moorland or downland courses. Much of the time wind and slopes more than make up for any perceived lack of total yardage.

In many cases big clubs have smaller 9 or 18 hole courses as well. In the rush to get to the next course on the list many tourist miss gems like Cruden Bay's St Olaf, Burnham & Berrow's Channel, Formby's Ladies Course (although this is a separate club in its own right), Portrush's Valley Links etc etc. There are other cracking 9 holers scattered about which will well repay your time. There are also many small links courses which get practically no print, but will often have some awesome holes and a few duds...so less consistency. I guess what I am saying is there is great joy to be had on many, many more courses other than the Open rota courses and assorted famous big guns. Give some of these smaller clubs a go...you might well be pleasantly surprised.

PS...With all the youth driven podcasts and youtube media concentrating on well trodden golf routes...we need podcasts from folks who have a few decades of experience and really know the lay of the land.

Ciao

In many cases big clubs have smaller 9 or 18 hole courses as well. In the rush to get to the next course on the list many tourist miss gems like Cruden Bay's St Olaf, Burnham & Berrow's Channel, Formby's Ladies Course (although this is a separate club in its own right), Portrush's Valley Links etc etc. There are other cracking 9 holers scattered about which will well repay your time. There are also many small links courses which get practically no print, but will often have some awesome holes and a few duds...so less consistency. I guess what I am saying is there is great joy to be had on many, many more courses other than the Open rota courses and assorted famous big guns. Give some of these smaller clubs a go...you might well be pleasantly surprised.

Ciao

Conversely you could say; just because a club has another 9 or 18 holes doesn't mean you should play them.

The Valley course, Saunton West, Burnside... those are worth a play in their own right. But when it comes to playing 36 at Formby for instance, it's the main course that is getting both of those rounds from me over Formby Ladies.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

It's very difficult to get from the west coast of the USA to Scotland. Even going in the off-season, it's an expensive trip. I think, for me and most likely for many others, the first trip you are likely to book courses you have heard of and that others will know of when you return. It would take for me to have played all of the bigger named layouts to choose a little known rural track over one of the rota courses. As it's a bucket list type experience a lot of folks aren't going to cancel their tee time at Muirfield or Carnoustie to play Earlsferry over a couple hundred quid.

I love walking and playing links golf and my guess is that I will love Scotland, but ultimately living on the west coast of the USA I am closer to Hawaii, Cabo, Streamsong, Cabot Links, Sand Valley, Palm Desert, Phoenix. Would I rather go to Scotland, probably. But, if only given a week, which is common I can barely make it over and back. So, when I get a longer vacation, do all that work to get over the pond, and up to Scotland, I'm probably not going to quibble over a few dollars concerning a greens fee.

I've booked 4 rounds for July:

Kingsbarns - GBP 288

Carnoustie - GBP 210

Cruden Bay - GBP 135

North Berwick - GBP 140

And hopefully walking on to The Old Course for GBP 190.

Comparing 2018 to 2019 prices:

Kingsbarns went from 268 to 288

Carnoustie went from 200 to 210

TOC went from 180 to 190

I am not sure if the other courses had increases or not. TOC could charge 300 easily.

The high green fees started to drive me away from the bucket list courses about 15 or years ago. Since then I have concentrated on lesser name courses which tend to be far more reasonably priced. It was only then that I fully realized how deep the pool of quality golf is in the UK. Sometimes, what separates bucket list from 2nd/3rd tier courses comes down to very little. Often times that difference is total yardage...meaning many of these backwater courses are very short on the card. Many of these courses have not invested much in so called "improvements". Sometimes that may mean trees could be an unhealthy factor or greens may have too much thatch etc etc. However, there is a lot of charm to discover for those who care to look. I have especially enjoyed finding "hilltop" courses which often play like moorland or downland courses. Much of the time wind and slopes more than make up for any perceived lack of total yardage.

PS...With all the youth driven podcasts and youtube media concentrating on well trodden golf routes...we need podcasts from folks who have a few decades of experience and really know the lay of the land.

Ciao

Totally agree on this. The UK abounds with great courses dotted about at fair prices. An example - I played Hadley Wood near London a while back for about 80 quid. It is an Alister Mackenzie original - almost a prototype of ANGC. Almost no-one knows of it though. Cavendish is another one in the Peak District and may be even cheaper. Scotland has dozens of such courses. Ireland too.

Ciao

Conversely you could say; just because a club has another 9 or 18 holes doesn't mean you should play them.

The Valley course, Saunton West, Burnside... those are worth a play in their own right. But when it comes to playing 36 at Formby for instance, it's the main course that is getting both of those rounds from me over Formby Ladies.

To each is own.

I don't do 36 in a day unless playing 4somes..and that is rare. I have a lot of time for The Ladies and Burnside. If paying, I would often choose both over the main courses because they are far cheaper and plenty good enough for my needs. That said, I have played Formby many, many times. If folks haven't played Formby they should add it to their GB&I bucket list now. The club does a pretty good dormy house deal which makes the green fee a bit more palatable. Plus, the train station is next door so Southport can easily be visited for a night out. To top it off...the club has a great snooker room which dormy house guests can use after hours. The Steward will even stock pre-ordered drinks in the room. Its a great way to end the night.

Chanceman...Cavendish is one of my favourite courses. The club has recently been clearing out trees to great effect. Some of the new interior views are excellent.

Ciao

Ciao

To each is own.

I don't do 36 in a day unless playing 4somes..and that is rare. I have a lot of time for The Ladies and Burnside. If paying, I would often choose both over the main courses because they are far cheaper and plenty good enough for my needs. That said, I have played Formby many, many times. If folks haven't played Formby they should add it to their GB&I bucket list now. The club does a pretty good dormy house deal which makes the green fee a bit more palatable. Plus, the train station is next door so Southport can easily be visited for a night out. To top it off...the club has a great snooker room which dormy house guests can use after hours. The Steward will even stock pre-ordered drinks in the room. Its a great way to end the night.

Chanceman...Cavendish is one of my favourite courses. The club has recently been clearing out trees to great effect. Some of the new interior views are excellent.

Ciao

Oh sure, it's just for those of us that don't live in reasonably close proximity, that can only help but colour our playing choices; when choosing between little and large. Particularly in Formby's case, I almost went back out for a 3rd round of the day on the main course I enjoyed it so much, before thinking better of it and retiring for a pint :)

For instance I did and will soon again, live about 110 miles from Monterey, so I'd be more willing to play the 'lesser' courses than the big ones.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

• 2 weeks later...

Ciao

To each is own.

Ciao

Oh sure, it's just for those of us that don't live in reasonably close proximity, that can only help but colour our playing choices; when choosing between little and large. Particularly in Formby's case, I almost went back out for a 3rd round of the day on the main course I enjoyed it so much, before thinking better of it and retiring for a pint :)

For instance I did and will soon again, live about 110 miles from Monterey, so I'd be more willing to play the 'lesser' courses than the big ones.

I find myself seeking out little over large quite a bit these days. With a few notable exceptions in GB&I, greatness is over-rated. So much of what is considered great relies on length, hazards and rough. I would rather play courses which focus on angles, contours and slope.

Ciao

• 3 weeks later...

Kingsbarns - GBP 288

Carnoustie - GBP 210

Cruden Bay - GBP 135

North Berwick - GBP 140

TOC went from 180 to 190

I am not sure if the other courses had increases or not. TOC could charge 300 easily.

North Berwick and The Old Course are the best value on that list. Played them both twice on my last trip.

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

Kingsbarns - GBP 288

Carnoustie - GBP 210

Cruden Bay - GBP 135

North Berwick - GBP 140

TOC went from 180 to 190

North Berwick and The Old Course are the best value on that list. Played them both twice on my last trip.

I agree, mainly because of the history which beyond the Open and the beginning/evolution of golf is laden with some of the iconic holes in golf. One simply cannot find a Road Hole, Pit or Redan down the road.

Ciao

Kingsbarns - GBP 288

Carnoustie - GBP 210

Cruden Bay - GBP 135

North Berwick - GBP 140

TOC went from 180 to 190

Just finalized my deposits for North Berwick for this summer a couple days ago!

• 3 weeks later...

This is largely a Scottish problem. So many foreign tourists now, all wanting to play the same dozen courses. Then you have guys like me who might play one big name course as I’m not going to pay £200 quid every day so I like to ferret around for a hidden gem the rest of the week.. and so the price of those courses go up as well. Got rolled badly there last year (Leven, £70 for an extremely average course). Year before, was trying to get a game midweek in October in East Lothian, absolute minimum was £130! That’s ridiculous.

Answer, cross the border to Northumberland or Carlisle, two fantastic Open qualifiers Goswick and Silloth.. £50 each. Balls to Scotland.

Kingsbarns - GBP 288

Carnoustie - GBP 210

Cruden Bay - GBP 135

North Berwick - GBP 140

TOC went from 180 to 190

Just paid the remaining balance for my North Berwick and Cruden Bay rounds of golf. Hurry up July!!!

Kingsbarns - GBP 288

Carnoustie - GBP 210

Cruden Bay - GBP 135

North Berwick - GBP 140

TOC went from 180 to 190

Just paid the remaining balance for my North Berwick and Cruden Bay rounds of golf. Hurry up July!!!

LOL, same here - last week of July in Ayshire, first week of August in East Lothian - if the snow would ever leave I'd start getting excited, but still fun to have my "planning sessions" with crap all over the dining room table on cold weekend mornings!

• 2 weeks later...
This is largely a Scottish problem. So many foreign tourists now, all wanting to play the same dozen courses. Then you have guys like me who might play one big name course as I’m not going to pay £200 quid every day so I like to ferret around for a hidden gem the rest of the week.. and so the price of those courses go up as well. Got rolled badly there last year (Leven, £70 for an extremely average course). Year before, was trying to get a game midweek in October in East Lothian, absolute minimum was £130! That’s ridiculous.

Answer, cross the border to Northumberland or Carlisle, two fantastic Open qualifiers Goswick and Silloth.. £50 each. Balls to Scotland.

Silloth is incredible. I've played there 4 times now. At £55 a round it's hard to beat in the whole of UK for cost v quality.  You only have to read the reviews to understand how good this course is.

Southerness is also a very good course just north of the border at £60 a round midweek. Definitely worth a visit. I played on a very windy day and found it tough. But I wasn't playing well so that didn't help!

On the contrary my dad has paid £3k+ for 4 nights at Gleneagles, 6 rounds + dinner. Golf can be expensive!

Saw your other comments, you’ll find Goswick every bit as good as Silloth at the same price. Southerness is such a pain to get to. Played it once years ago but was torrential so don’t remember much could have played it last year but it was too inaccessible from where we were. Powfoot is a lot closer to Gretna, cheaper and very impressive.

I played at Powfoot when I played Southerness, on the way home to the motorway! Good course, really enjoyable. Had a decent round there too at +3. Goswick looks decent. About 3h40 drive from Manchester so would need to make a few days of it and get a few courses in if I were to go up.

^ northumberland is tough to beat in the U.K. for value. Actually, I’ll say it’s unbeatable. Foxton Hall and Dunstanburgh are within 30 mins of Goswick and half a notch below in quality, at most. Bamburgh is more famous but not a very strong golf course. Brancepeth is a nice Harry Colt you could play on the way there.

> @milesgiles said:

> ^ northumberland is tough to beat in the U.K. for value. Actually, I’ll say it’s unbeatable. Foxton Hall and Dunstanburgh are within 30 mins of Goswick and half a notch below in quality, at most. Bamburgh is more famous but not a very strong golf course. Brancepeth is a nice Harry Colt you could play on the way there.

I have a lot of time for the area. Goswick may be a second tier links, but it sure didn't seem that way on my visit...wonderful course. There are some lovely little courses a bit further south of which Alnmouth Village really impresses. The back nine of Seahouses is excellent as well. While not quite of the standard of the above courses, Warkworth is not without charm. I would be surprised if any of these courses costs much more than £20.

Ciao

Alnmouth Village

28bvtgpzmd5q.jpg

Seahouses

8a358y3aii05.jpg

Warkworth

hmram7ncbdcg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm lucky in that I played a lot of the top GB&I courses for very minimal (under £50) entry fees in British / English amateurs etc and the clubs 36 hole scratch events. We also used to go play places like Hillside, Formby, Royal Liverpool in March / Early April for maybe £30 or £40 and this wasn't THAT long ago.

At the prices they charge now I'm out. Lots of people are obviously willing to pay those prices, but I'm not. I'd rather play my own course or restrict the green fee paying away days to the 'lower tier' courses with my mates & have just as good a time. Again, I'm lucky as my club has reciprocals with a lot of top 100 uk courses which helps.

IMO prices are not reflecting the worth. Others obviously disagree.

• 3 months later...

> @ceejay81 said:

> I've booked 4 rounds for July:

>

>

>

> Kingsbarns - GBP 288

>

> Carnoustie - GBP 210

>

> Cruden Bay - GBP 135

>

> North Berwick - GBP 140

>

>

>

> And hopefully walking on to The Old Course for GBP 190.

>

>

>

> Comparing 2018 to 2019 prices:

>

> Kingsbarns went from 268 to 288

>

> Carnoustie went from 200 to 210

>

> TOC went from 180 to 190

>

>

>

> I am not sure if the other courses had increases or not. TOC could charge 300 easily.

I leave for my trip in 2 days, so I was just perusing the websites of the courses I'm playing. Holy Schnikes - Carnoustie is raising their prices in 2020 to GBP 252! They are raising their price 42 pounds. In the shoulder season, the price is going from 150 to 180. That is an insanely high price increase at 20%.

Over and above pushing it out to see just what they can get away with, I wonder if the weaker pound, since the unfortunateness of the past 3 years, is a driver?

They must also send a nice thank you note over to KB, for pushing the green fee boundaries. At least the Scottish/UK courses are yet to act like the big Irish courses which give the impression of price fixing/cartel-like behavior with the way they magically stay in lock step.

F.T.

> @tiderider said:

> Much better value in England, I’d think ... next time I’m over, that’s where I’ll go ...

Oh for sure, once you get passed the Rota courses which are 200+, there are loads of ocean-crossing worthy courses in lower-priced tiers (whether that be still pricey 180 or super reasonably 90ish) and a bunch of worth playing when in the area for much less to round out a trip :-)

F.T.

> @"North Butte" said:

> They've been having increases, sometimes huge ones, for decades now and yet they keep their tee sheets full. Why wouldn't they keep jacking it higher?

>

Since my first trips over (to Ireland anyways) predate gmail I cannot check on prices, but I do clearly remember playing Old Head for the first time in the late 90s and it cost me 35 punts twilight rate! Prolly cannot rent clubs for that price there now.

F.T.

> @tiderider said:

> Much better value in England, I’d think ... next time I’m over, that’s where I’ll go ...

Generally speaking the Open rota courses will charge up to £250 a round in England, not too dissimilar to Scotland, but the top tier courses won't be in the region of KB or Trump International, much closer to North Berwick and Cruden Bay prices. There will always be that hidden gem you find that costs £50 a round and you could play over and over. But we do have a lot of top courses that are great value for money as well.

My number 1 course in terms of value and quality is Silloth. I've said it on numerous threads that it won't be beaten. Pick up a cheap membership for £525 a year and you'll keep coming back!

But definitely come to England. A lot of golf tourists will concentrate on Scotland (and Ireland) and rightly so, but we have a lot of history in England and the courses are just as good, if not better!