Your Best Round Ever....What Stands Out?

Skippy405

77 (+5). Was all about proximity. Stiffed 2 GIRs, and my other GIRs on the day were quite simple 2-putts as well. Many of my misses were basic chips, though my short game is so bad I managed to mess some of those up. If I had any respectable putting / short game I probably could have shot level par that day.

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Epic Flash 5W 

TM M3 3H & 4H

TM RocketBladez HL 5-PW

W/S PMP 52*, 56*, 60*

Cleveland HB Soft #1

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an amazing run of the first ten holes then hung on for dear life for a -3.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

• 2 weeks later...

I've shot 67 twice on a par 71( should have been 65 the 2nd time but i couldnt hold it together). Only thing that really stood out to me was my scrambling and having a few long birdie putts drop. Other than that i didn't really do anything fancy, just played boring golf. Haven't been able to come close to that again unfortunately lol.

It was a few years ago. At my old course I had shot even about 10 times but could not get over the hump. I went back with 3 buddies from my current club and was playing really well. Made some birdies and some bogeys and was even on 15 tee, a great drive and a hybrid to 5 feet left me an eagle putt which I made. Made a 20 footer for par on 16. Get to 17 which is a par 3 175 with a pond that comes into play if you block it right. I stood over that shot with such confidence and hit my tee ball. Well blocked it waaaay right. I had 40 yards after my drop to a tucked pin. Hit the pitch a little hard and thought I would have a 15 foot downhill putt, but it lands bounces off the flag stick into the hole for par. My buddies are routing me on and I am shaking standing on 18. A good drive a hybrid layup left me 50 yards. Great pitch and made the birdie putt. Shot 69 on a par 72. I can still remember every shot on the back. At my current club I’ve broken par a half dozen times but I will always remember that round. Kept the score card and the ball.

Fairways nearly-hit and one-putts. Didn't hit that many greens in regulation, but always had a chance to do so because tee ball was in play. When I did hit them, I made a couple putts. And when I missed GIR, I was near enough to get up and down just about every time. Couldn't miss 3-6 footers. Wish I had THAT every day!

Lots of pars, a couple birdies, no doubles.

My two best rounds ever have one thing in common...very little sleep the night before. Mind you, this is loose correlation and not causation.

The last round was recently and it was on a weekday afternoon/evening round and I was pretty close to bowing out because I was so tired.

This is definitely a thing. Have had a few really good rounds where I was exhausted, just getting over or coming down with a cold, etc. I think it just simplifies everything. You can't over think, you don't have energy to worry about mechanics. All you can do is,plod to the ball, stare at it and swing, and repeat.

It's a forced concentration trick for those of us who haven't mastered mindfulness on the course.

I remember a couple things about it as it’s been over a decade

1) Trenton Country Club as i was a guest of a member (awesome course)

2) Being extremely conservative off the tee and in turn hitting a ton of fairways. I usually do this at new courses as i don’t know the lay of the land and want to stay playable at all costs

3) The amount of one putts i was able to pull off. This isn’t a usual thing for me

So in all it was hitting fairways and one putting, probably a typical formula for low scoring, haha.

Ping G430 LST 9* (Ventus TR Red 6X)

Ping G430 Max 3W (Ventus Blue 7X)

TM Qi10 5W (KBS TD70X)

TM P770 4-5i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MC 6-8i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MB 9i-PW (KBS Tour X)

TM MG4 Copper 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

Spider Tour X Single Bend (BGT Stability)

Definitely putting. I think I had 11 putts on the back nine, one of which was for eagle on a really tough par 5.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

The most memorable thing I remember was the fact that I played with a good friend and his 14 year old son the day before in day one of our city tourney and the kid went 65 to our 77’s and it was like a walk in the park. Smooth, staying within himself nearly every swing. I thought, that’s it, tomorrow I don’t force anything, swing for fairways and see what happens, well 5 birdies in a row on the front had me thinking why I hadn’t had this mindset before ?. Added one more birdie on the back for a -4 (68) and there it was, a 2 stroke PR. This game is soooo frustratingly fun!

Low score is 80 multiple times so usually its the mistakes I made that cost me the 79 etc. But when I'm playing well its boring golf. Fairway, green, two putt. Bogeys are the missed green with mediocre chip leaving 10 ft par putts and missing. Never get into crazy trouble and don't make huge mistakes but nothing usually stands out. I usually don't know I'm playing well until I count up my score at the turn and realize, huh, shot a 38-40ish, cool.

Started with a chip in birdie, par, birdie, then chip in eagle to be -4 thru 4. Unfortunately the rest of the round wasn't quite as lights out. Ended up with a -2 69 with a birdie on 17 and good up and down on 18.

Prior to that I needed a birdie on 18 to fire even for the first time, luckily it was a par 5, but I hit my drive on the right side of the fairway and the green was blocked out by trees unless I hit a massive cut. Lay up to 115 and tell myself to try to hole it since my wedge game was pretty solid that day. Put a good swing on it and hit it to about 12 feet and made a great putt center of the hole for a 72.

40 - 34 74

Playing to about a 9 at the time so the 40 on the front was reasonable. The 34 on the back came completely out of the blue. Drove the ball well enough to have short irons but made the first of three birdies on the back with a long putt on 10. Another long putt a few holes later and a kick in birdie on 18. What I remember was how it all flowed from one hole to another.

My best round was a 67 at Ravisloe Country Club last summer. I initially wasn't going to play that day, which is a mindset that thankfully changed. I'm a special ed teacher so I'm off for a chunk of the summer (except for professional development opportunities and summer school; "no work during the summer" is kind of a misnomer for teachers) and I play a lot so I was planning on taking a random Thursday in August off from golf. However, after a gym session I was super bored and the weather was perfect so I started checking tee sheets. Ravisloe had some open times so my wife gave me the okay and I headed over.

Ravisloe is an old school layout. It's a Donald Ross design that was a private club for years but went public about ten years ago when it got new ownership. It's a very nice course but, as a sub-6400 yard par 70 with no extremely long holes (the longest par 3 is about 200 yards, the longest 4 is 415, and the longest 5 is 550), it's a place where it's possible to score. However, usually it takes me a while to get going. I make plenty of pars at the outset of most rounds but I'm generally not ultra sharp with my my irons until 4 or 5 holes into a round. What stood out for me most was that I got hot early and birdied the first, second, and fifth holes. I also made no bogies on the front en route to a 32 at the turn. On the back, I shot even with a bogie on 12 and a birdie on 15.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I used to consider my best round a 62 that tied my course record. The one thing that stands out is that I didn't birdie a hole till no. 5 and shot 29 on the back. But this year I made it through USGA Four Ball qualifying with my partner and I made 8 birdies in the first 10 holes to get the team in. My partner birdied the 17th hole to help us get medalist. Both great memories to have.

My best rounds are all when my iron ballstriking is good.

I have really struggled for several years now with awful iron play, due to a nasty case of the inside-outs / shanks. When I’m able to figure my irons out, my scores drop precipitously.

I’ve had good iron days with poor putting that cost me a few strokes, and I’ve had good putting days with poor iron play, and I’ll take the former everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

I remember getting up on #8 tee box and realizing I had just birdied holes 2-7. 2 was decent little par 3 that I hit a 7 iron into, but remainder of holes were wedge or shorter into the greens, just driver down the fairway, wedge, make the putt. 7 was a tricky, tight par 5 that I went driver-iron then wasn't too far out. I literally had no idea, just knew I was hitting the ball well and making some putts. Bad thing was once I realized it, wheels started to come off. Bogeyed 8 and made par on a very easy par 5. Then the back 9 was worse.

31-38 for a 69. Still a great round for me, just disappointed how it ended.

Ping G400 LST 10 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping G400 16.5 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping i59 4-PW - PX IO 6.0, 1” long

Vokey SM7 Jet Black 52-56-60 

Scotty Cameron 2018 Newport 3

I just remember it being fairly boring. Driver into the fairway, shot into the green and putt..

Sure it wasn't like this every hole, but there just wasn't anything outstanding positively or negative. Pretty consistent round for my usual game, and sometimes that's the hardest part.

Titleist - TSi3 8* - Ventus Black S6

Callaway - Apex UW 17* - HZRDUS Black Smoke

Taylormade - 2021 P790 4-AW - Project X LS

Vokey - 54* 60* - S400

Evnroll - ER2b - Stability Tour Shaft

The lowest round I've ever shot was 63 on a par 70. But the round that felt even better was shooting 64 on a par 72 course with a rating of 73.1. A few things stick out from that round in particular:

1. First of all it was a very clean straightforward card. 8 birdies and 10 pars... no bogeys, no doubles, no eagles.

2. I hit one God awful tee shot that day that should have been OB, but instead hit the roof of a house and bounced all the way back into the fairway. I got up and down for a birdie so that was a minimum 3-shot swing right there.

3. I'm sure I made almost 200 feet of putts that day. My iron game wasn't particularly sharp, but I was rolling it like the best.

4. On 18 (par 5) I hit my 2nd shot off a greenside sprinkler head and it careened into the water hazard. After my drop I ended up holing the next shot for birdie. So an unlucky bounce was immediately repaid... which never happens for me

5. I was 3 under at the turn and almost made a hole in one on 10. That's when I knew it would be a special day. At the next hole (tight fairway with hazard on both sides) where I normally hit a low iron off the tee, I pulled driver and smoked it down the middle

Since then I haven't shot 64 again or even 65. The best I've done is 66 (-6) with a few 67s and a number of 68/69 (along with plenty of 72-76).

The lowest round I've ever shot was 63 on a par 70. But the round that felt even better was shooting 64 on a par 72 course with a rating of 73.1. A few things stick out from that round in particular:

1. First of all it was a very clean straightforward card. 8 birdies and 10 pars... no bogeys, no doubles, no eagles.

2. I hit one God awful tee shot that day that should have been OB, but instead hit the roof of a house and bounced all the way back into the fairway. I got up and down for a birdie so that was a minimum 3-shot swing right there.

3. I'm sure I made almost 200 feet of putts that day. My iron game wasn't particularly sharp, but I was rolling it like the best.

4. On 18 (par 5) I hit my 2nd shot off a greenside sprinkler head and it careened into the water hazard. After my drop I ended up holing the next shot for birdie. So an unlucky bounce was immediately repaid... which never happens for me

5. I was 3 under at the turn and almost made a hole in one on 10. That's when I knew it would be a special day. At the next hole (tight fairway with hazard on both sides) where I normally hit a low iron off the tee, I pulled driver and smoked it down the middle

Since then I haven't shot 64 again or even 65. The best I've done is 66 (-6) with a few 67s and a number of 68/69 (along with plenty of 72-76).

Your picture looks familiar...

Where is that... ?

FwIw

My best round a 4 over was a scrambling round. Chip in birdie out of a bunkeron a par 3...2 or 3 hero shots after a bad drive, hit a 300 yd drive followed by a 250 yd bomb straight up a hill with a 5hybrid through the green 2feet past fringe. Cup was steep downhill chip about 10 feet away. Got a par?.

Round started with a double bogey block off the tee into trees. All this while in pain with a serratus tear.

Playing a course that I really like, on a weekday afternoon with my 14 year old daughter on a teacher's in-service day. We were 2 of maybe a dozen people on the course, perfect high 60's weather. I lipped out a putt for a 69 on 18, and she tapped in a bogey put for a 112, which at the time was her best score. 5 birdies on the front to go with 3 bogeys, and par on every hole on the back for me. Weird, wonderful afternoon.

M5 w/Rogue
Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
MD3 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

shot a 78 on a course i played once prior. First experience of that course was no very good. More OB spots on the front vs the back, so losing balls fast and early didn't make for a fun round. So going back to play that same course, i set my expectations low and made sure i had enough sleeves to get me thru the round. One thing that really set the tone for the rest of the round, was a 188 yd uphill par3. Stiffed a 5iron with 6ft to birdie the third hole. Aside from that, I don't remember putting myself out of position to often from the tee.