Pinehurst Golf in February? Thoughts?

This recent snowstorm (and impending one next week) is having me look into planning a solo trip down to Pinehurst for President's Day weekend.

Not to jack the thread (which is essentially what I am doing...) does anybody have any experience/thoughts/suggestions on how to best book a solo trip to the Pinehurst area in February? The goal of the trip is to try to maximize time spent golfing at good courses - so do Tobacco Road on my way down Friday, try to play 36 Saturday and Sunday and 18 on Monday on my way out and back to Virginia. I'd love to play Tobacco, Dormie, Mid-Pines and Pine Needles as the primary course of each day and fill in the courses to play in the afternoon. I don't need to play any of the Pinehurst courses, as I'll be back to play with a Pinehurst member later this year. That said, I certainly would be open to playing at Pinehurst though, if it made sense.

Using the search function on earlier Pinehurst posts, I've e-mailed with Julie of Tobacco Road Golf & Travel who was incredibly responsive and helpful. Unfortunately, she said she cannot book 36 holes in February due to the shorter days and potential frost delays - which I get and it makes sense. I also contacted Talamore via their electronic quoting system, which allowed me to book 36 holes in one day - but if I were to move forward with an actual agent, I'd assume they may limit me to only 18 per day.

I guess that's a long winded way of giving you my background and asking the group - What would you do if you were me? How would you book the second 18 on Saturday and Sunday? Would you recommend just hanging loose and figuring it out the week of the trip? Perhaps you would lean toward a replay? Should I book a caddy for any of my primary rounds? Also - my plan is to book a hotel room or a small AirBnb, all of which come in at ~$100/night. Any reason to do something different? After all that golf and a few beers, I don't need much ha!

Thanks in advance!

Mattw387 we have our trip booked for that weekend. We are playing the same rota almost (MP/PN/TR but then Mid South...played Dormie last time and the price has jumped up a lot). We booked with Tobacco Road (Julie). She set it all up and we are staying at the Comfort Inn listed above by NCLancer. Price for each person was right at $100 per night for golf/room/taxes. We are not using caddies as you dont need them honestly on those courses.(IMHO....but TR try to play with someone who knows it LOL) If solo it might be a bit more given the room cost.

As to booking second rounds we tried and right now they will not let you this time of year do to potential frost delays (if you use TR). We booked our Fri/Sat rounds first out incase we dont have delays and can then just find a second round while there.

I love your line up - should be a great trip for y'all! Looks like we're both on the same page in terms of planning - thank you for the feedback on caddies. Interestingly enough, Julie quoted me lodging at the Comfort Inn as well, so thank you and NCLancer for helping me feel comfortable making my arrangements to stay there!

I've never played Dormie - so using this trip to knock it off my list before it goes private (if it ever does..).

Thank you and NCLancer for taking the time to respond - here's to great (I'll even take good to decent) weather for that weekend!

Dormie is a great track. The new owners are making it really come around. I think the reason for the prices going up plus the membership has grown too. You will like it if you like Coore-Crenshaw designs.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing number 2, 4, 8 and 9 that weekend and Dormie club on President's day.

Thinking of a double-bag caddy for number 2 and possibly 4. Played 2 before, and 4 will be my first time. What are people's thoughts? Forecaddie vs. double bag?

Double bag or no caddie and carry your own bag. Both number 2 and 4 are cart path only I believe. I know number 2 is for sure.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Thinking of a double-bag caddy for number 2 and possibly 4. Played 2 before, and 4 will be my first time. What are people's thoughts? Forecaddie vs. double bag?

Double bag or no caddie and carry your own bag. Both number 2 and 4 are cart path only I believe. I know number 2 is for sure.

Unless they have changed the rules since the last time I was there (about 3 years ago), the only people who can carry their own bag on #2 are members. Guests are not allowed. As a guest you either have to walk with a caddie or take a cart (with or without a forecaddie).

Regardless of what the actual rule is, TAKE A CADDIE ON #2. It is a royal pain in the butt to take a cart on that course. It's cart path only and the cart paths are a long ways from the fairways. You will literally walk more with a cart than you will by just walking the course. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that (I've played it both ways).

#4 used to be easy for carts because you could drive on the fairways. However, after the recent redesign, I think they may have made that one cart path only as well. If so, I would again say walk with a caddie. Even with a forecaddie, the whole cart thing is just an inconvenience when it's cart path only. Someone always having to walk over to move the cart up, getting stuck with the wrong club 100 yards away from the cart, etc. Plus you don't experience the whole course. So much of it just passes you by while you're over on the cart path. Walking is the only way to really take in all the terrain and the surroundings.

If you get a good caddie on #2 that you like, you can request them again for #4. If you get a caddie you don't really like, you can roll the dice again with a new one on #4.

Unless they have changed the rules since the last time I was there (about 3 years ago), the only people who can carry their own bag on #2 are members. Guests are not allowed. As a guest you either have to walk with a caddie or take a cart (with or without a forecaddie).

Regardless of what the actual rule is, TAKE A CADDIE ON #2. It is a royal pain in the butt to take a cart on that course. It's cart path only and the cart paths are a long ways from the fairways. You will literally walk more with a cart than you will by just walking the course. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that (I've played it both ways).

#4 used to be easy for carts because you could drive on the fairways. However, after the recent redesign, I think they may have made that one cart path only as well. If so, I would again say walk with a caddie. Even with a forecaddie, the whole cart thing is just an inconvenience when it's cart path only. Someone always having to walk over to move the cart up, getting stuck with the wrong club 100 yards away from the cart, etc. Plus you don't experience the whole course. So much of it just passes you by while you're over on the cart path. Walking is the only way to really take in all the terrain and the surroundings.

If you get a good caddie on #2 that you like, you can request them again for #4. If you get a caddie you don't really like, you can roll the dice again with a new one on #4.

I played #2 last summer and no carts for sure. I played with a member and if not I would of had to take a caddie as noted.

I played #2 last summer and no carts for sure. I played with a member and if not I would of had to take a caddie as noted.

I played 2 and 4 in the fall. Carts on path for both. 4 is a tougher walk than 2 but both are enjoyable. Did a double bag caddie, worth it for sure if your first time playing the courses...really only not worth it if you happen to un-luck out with a bad caddie. I’ve used four different ones down there only had one that was average. Most are good.