Balls similar to Titleist AVX

Vinny Nguyen

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Callaway is supposed to be bringing a new ball to market that is designed to be an AVX competitor. Otherwise, I haven’t found a ball similar to the AVX.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

Havent found anything similar to the avx. The Bridgestone e6 is close. But doesnt feel the same. Still playing on the same dozen I bought in September. Granted not a ton of rounds since winter started. But over a dozen. And have only managed to lose 6.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Callaway is supposed to be bringing a new ball to market that is designed to be an AVX competitor. Otherwise, I haven’t found a ball similar to the AVX.

I think they (Callaway and some reviewer's) are saying the new ERC ball is suppose to be close but not sure!

I think what I've read so far on the ERC has said that it's high-launching. The AVX is most definitely low-launching, so not sure how similar they would be.

Is the 2019 ProV supposed to really be different? I thought most reviews of the protos were very similar to last years.

The AVX will probably have all the same relative differences as if you were to compare now, it is truly a very different ball to the ProVs. Much lower spinning on all shots, excellent wind ball.

I think they (Callaway and some reviewer's) are saying the new ERC ball is suppose to be close but not sure!

I think what I've read so far on the ERC has said that it's high-launching. The AVX is most definitely low-launching, so not sure how similar they would be.

If that is what you have seen/read, then yeah not close at all! lol

Why do we all need to find something "similar" to something else? Is it brand loyalty? I've been pretty happy with TM balls the last few years, but got much better results with the AVX this year. I'm now on this ball, not looking for TM/Callaway/Bridgestone to come out with a "clone".

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I mean having options are nice right? The AVX is kinda a must ball for me. I did a ball fitting at a local store with a Titleist rep on trackman. We got to try out the new 2019 pro v1 and pro v1x. Turns out I was launching the ball too high and my spin was also way too high. The rep tossed me some avx balls to compare and we got my spin down to a good number and i saw good amount of distance gain. I've heard that the new tp5x ball that will be out later may be similar. I just want to see if there are any substitutes out there.

I mean having options are nice right? The AVX is kinda a must ball for me. I did a ball fitting at a local store with a Titleist rep on trackman. We got to try out the new 2019 pro v1 and pro v1x. Turns out I was launching the ball too high and my spin was also way too high. The rep tossed me some avx balls to compare and we got my spin down to a good number and i saw good amount of distance gain. I've heard that the new tp5x ball that will be out later may be similar. I just want to see if there are any substitutes out there.

AVX is an awesome ball...5A's on ebay dont break the bank

How much spin did you drop by just changing balls? It was that significant?

I don't have dry ball data, but the difference is indeed very significant. If you grab a dozen AVX and play them next to a ProV I'd be shocked if you don't immediately notice the difference on your irons and wedges.

I don't have dry ball data, but the difference is indeed very significant. If you grab a dozen AVX and play them next to a ProV I'd be shocked if you don't immediately notice the difference on your irons and wedges.

I played both last year and found the playability and distance about the same off the woods and hybrids. I noticed about half a club more in the mid to short irons. I was just surprised that a ball fitting dropped numbers so significantly that they became optimal (as opposed to something else) without changing clubs or shafts or something.

I was using my vapor fly 7 iron. With the prov1 I was spinning the ball around 7500-7800. These were all solid struck shot data and we took out any mishits. I used the avx right after and my spin came down to an average of 6500. My launch also came down and it all equated to about 23 yards of extra carry. It should be noted that I am a high launching and spinning player. Another thing I talked about with the fitter was that I should be playing a different type of iron head. Its time to move away from the hollow headed GI iron and more into a players club for me.

I was using my vapor fly 7 iron. With the prov1 I was spinning the ball around 7500-7800. These were all solid struck shot data and we took out any mishits. I used the avx right after and my spin came down to an average of 6500. My launch also came down and it all equated to about 23 yards of extra carry. It should be noted that I am a high launching and spinning player. Another thing I talked about with the fitter was that I should be playing a different type of iron head. Its time to move away from the hollow headed GI iron and more into a players club for me.

Don’t players clubs spin even more ?

I know when going through my fitting the i210’s spun much more for me than the G400 or G700 irons (all with the same shaft).

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Wow!! I’ve never seen that much spin come off simply by changing balls. Usually the most you will see is a couple hundred RPMs.

Wow!! I’ve never seen that much spin come off simply by changing balls. Usually the most you will see is a couple hundred RPMs.

Don't players clubs spin even more ?

I know when going through my fitting the i210's spun much more for me than the G400 or G700 irons (all with the same shaft).

I mean a lot of that is due to loft. For me I just need something with a little less help as far as getting the ball in the air. Really looking at the i210 and the new apex forged iron with stronger lofts.

The 2019 'proto' pro v 1's that were floating around last fall are different than the 2019 ones they are releasing.

The actual 2019 pro v 1 is meaningfully lower spinning than the X. The gap between the two is much more than prior versions -- you WILL see the difference on a launch monitor with similar well-struck shots. The gap between the 2019 pro v 1 and AVX is also there. They truly are 3 unique balls now. I was fit by a rep and ideal for me is the new pro v 1, but an AVX put up better distance numbers on track man (probably the case for 90% of players I'd imagine). In the majority of conditions I'll stick with the pro v but I think I can get away with the AVX in the winter/softer months where I don't need much spin around greens/short irons. I will also 100% be using the AVX off the tee in scrambles.

AVX: low launch & low spin

V1: mid launch & mid/low spin

VX: high launch & mid/high spin

Most won't agree but I found the AVX similar to the K3.

I even cut them both open and layer thickness etc was about the same.

Also you can buy the Japan version (prestige) I believe for a lot cheaper. I also posted pics of the covers up close and the dimple pattern is identical. You can usually get them on RBG

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

The 2019 'proto' pro v 1's that were floating around last fall are different than the 2019 ones they are releasing.

The actual 2019 pro v 1 is meaningfully lower spinning than the X. The gap between the two is much more than prior versions -- you WILL see the difference on a launch monitor with similar well-struck shots. The gap between the 2019 pro v 1 and AVX is also there. They truly are 3 unique balls now. I was fit by a rep and ideal for me is the new pro v 1, but an AVX put up better distance numbers on track man (probably the case for 90% of players I'd imagine). In the majority of conditions I'll stick with the pro v but I think I can get away with the AVX in the winter/softer months where I don't need much spin around greens/short irons. I will also 100% be using the AVX off the tee in scrambles.

AVX: low launch & low spin

V1: mid launch & mid/low spin

VX: high launch & mid/high spin

I do love that they made each ball more unique in their own right. They definitely have their player base covered with all 3. Im just one of those weirdos that needs to take off all that spin. A lot of players would benefit from more spin from the other balls.

AVX very different. Lowers my spin by 400 on driver and launch by 2 degrees which shocked me. Problem for me was that my greenside spin was cut by 25% as well and at my speed I overcomressed it a touch losing ball speed. If you swing up to 115 you won't have any compression issues but if you play firm greens....beware. everything else was really cool tho and super straight ball also!

Wow!! I've never seen that much spin come off simply by changing balls. Usually the most you will see is a couple hundred RPMs.

Yea for reference at my ball fitting with i210 7 iron my spin went from 7200 - 6900. I will say that the Prov1x spun off the charts around 7900 on average and around 5 yards shorter.

Would moving to a players club (blade or shallow cavity) just cause your spin to go up again?

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x