2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Membership at 17 clubs!!!

manku

http://www.morningread.com/features/141bd6cd-6412-4341-8d09-bcf57f8e31bc

Approximately...could be 14...or maybe more as he seemed to have difficulty remembering all of them.

It seems like certain clubs have members who belong to all (Cypress/PV/Seminole/National etc..). I guess when you're that loaded, dropping six figures annually on dues, tips and assessments is a drop in the bucket! I guess it's less expensive than women :)

I know a couple people who are members at 3 clubs...I clearly am hanging out with the wrong group.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget you need a full bags of matching clubs and gear at each club.

(Who would want the hassle of lugging all of it around?)

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

Didn’t read the story, that gentlemen is definitely on the high end. The average members at one of those four clubs you mentioned is up to just over 7. It has risen steadily every year the past 5 years or so. (If that was too wordy the average member of Cypress, PV, ANGC, Seminole etc belong to 6 other clubs, and you’re correct there’s a lot of members that are at say Pine Valley that are also members at Cypress and ANGC). We do a poll every year to see what we can do better what other clubs do etc but one of the questions is lost the other clubs you belong too.

Ship sticks has made it so much easier, we have shipments going in and out everyday Although I’m sure there’s more than a few members that have separate matching sets at each club.

Umm if you have the resources why wouldnt you???

I'll always value money...way I was raised. So pissing away 10K a year on a club I never play, or play once or twice at most, will never be something I'll do...even if I hit the billion dollar lottery.

I might fly private though...just to avoid the TSA would be worth it!

Makes you realise how lucky St Andrews residents are, could be a part time shelf stacker and still be able to play one of the most revered courses in the world every day for about £400 a year!

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

I'll take offense at the "intent" of the article that I took away from it, that being - Seth Waugh is the only person in the history of the wor to become CEO of the PGA of America with a business background, or at least, as having been the CEO of a major company.

For those of you too young to remember, there was a time when tour players did not look like NASCAR drivers, with logos of every sponsor - major or minor - splashed everywhere over his/her body.

When the very first players on the PGA Tour putting logos on something - hats specifically - it was Amana, and it was Lou King, CEO at Amana at the time, who was responsible for this.

Mr. King was CEO of the PGA of America in the 1980's, and good or bad, many of the things that the PGA is today is a result of his initiatives.

The other takeaway from this article was this: there is always going to be a very wide gap between the wealthiest and the common man. Whether it's getting to be a bigger gap or not, I will leave for another time's discussion.

If I had the financial wherewithall as some of these individuals did, I too would belong (and play) these clubs. And, so would every one else here on this board.

Ya'll have a good day

A lot of clubs have out of town memberships that are more reasonable for someone that may only play once or twice a year. Reasonable being all relative.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

If I had the financial wherewithall as some of these individuals did, I too would belong (and play) these clubs. And, so would every one else here on this board.

Ya'll have a good day

I live in LA...while I never turn down an invite, places like LACC and Bel Air are not places I want to spend anytime at aside from the first tee to the eighteenth green. I've had similar feelings playing most elite courses on the east coast.

I love to golf, but no way would I ever join (nor would I ever be invited to join) most of these places.

I'll take my GV up to Bandon Dunes or to Mauna Kea...that'll do just fine. And no one will force me to tuck in my shirt :)

I'm a member at two. I'm a 7-day member at Cherwell Edge and a points member at Rye Hill. It's a struggle to justify the first one as it only makes financial sense because I play three times a week during the summer. That plus a few vacation days just about covers the cost. Rye is easy to justify as paying with points is cheaper but it's too far from my home to be convenient. It's also a longer course so needs more time and effort to go round. I can get round Cherwell in the evening after work or on a spare Saturday afternoon. When I retire in a few years Cherwell will be a better base for my golfing retirement :)

Probably my basic laziness and anti-social nature, but belonging to that many clubs seems like an awful lot of work. So many people, so much glad handing.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

17 club memberships, there is only one thing that it tells me and that it feeds this guys huge ego. To be a member at that many clubs of that caliber is absurd, I bet some of those he does not even play once a year. The older I get the more I am turned off by the country club scene, I spent a lot of time at Sand Valley over the last two years since I have a place very close and saw so many A Holes come up from High Dollar north shore clubs/Medinah and still kept the high brow attitude. One guy from Medinah was screaming at the starter because he did not have his requested caddy and then refused to play with me and my Dad, I about came to blows with this guy.

You think St Andrews residents always play The Old Course? Think again. Plus it isclosed every Sunday.

Ah, but you don't have to be a member of a golf club to play it. Not in the UK, at least not unless it's a very exclusive club. And I'd assume that if you can show proof of membership of St Andrews then even the few exclusive clubs would let you in.

But the vast majority of courses in the UK will let anyone play. Membership is only needed for official competitions and handicap so most golfers visit other courses all the time. My mate and I rotate around half a dozen local courses and I've visited a dozen more on my holidays.

I'll always value money...way I was raised. So pissing away 10K a year on a club I never play, or play once or twice at most, will never be something I'll do...even if I hit the billion dollar lottery.

I don't think you realize the whole picture here.

Seth is a 9 figure individual. Even if he's fully invested in guaranteed treasuries, he's generating $3MM of unearned income. To simply say you value $10K whether you are in your current financial situation or with a $1B lottery hit, that is quite a hyperbolic statement.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

When I built my first house in Kingwood, Texas in 1973 I bought a charter membership in Kingwood Country Club for $180.dues Including liquor pool 39.00 per month. The movie Tin Cup was later filmed there and Deerwood . I sold my membership in 78. Unless your wife got up early and booked your tee time you would never get a decent time. I played a lot of customer golf there but unless you brought you other three they never would put a single to fill out a foursome.i spent almost as much time waiting to get on the course over the years as I did playing it. After I was audited by IRS and most of my club expenses disallowed, I said to hell with it and sold my membership. Plus the fact I disliked playing the same course over and over. I calculated tha for the same amount of annual dues, I could play at the same rate of play the daily fee courses until I was 80 years old ( based on fees at the time). So since then, I don’t feel obligated to play because of the dues. Last I heard about 10 years ago a 2000 dollar lifetime membership from 1975 sold for 48,000. It a club Corp of America venue. Now has 72 holes, very beautiful courses. Don’t. Wan to disparage th Club but that seems to be the same story everywhere.

beautiful courses.

We had a member that was filthy rich, when he said that he had joined Whisper Rock his buddies gave him crap about breaking the 14 club rule. He gave it right back and said he broke that 4 clubs ago and our jaws dropped. We knew he was a member at several clubs but no one really thought it was over 14 until he counted him them up. Super guy, very humble and kind to all people and animals. Hope he’s still enjoying them all.

Seth is a 9 figure individual. Even if he's fully invested in guaranteed treasuries, he's generating $3MM of unearned income. To simply say you value $10K whether you are in your current financial situation or with a $1B lottery hit, that is quite a hyperbolic statement.

You are correct, sir. However, there is no way to know how I would react if I became an overnight billionaire. Candy Spelling still clipped coupons, Warren Buffet lives in his first house (or close to it) and I could name a thousand more instances where people with fortunes act really funny when it comes to money.

I know one thing: I don't like to waste money. I makes me feel ill. I don't see how that would change regardless of my financial situation. Even my kids say I'd still be shopping at Costco, and searching for deals if I won lotto. And they're probably right.

I think this is right. To me, you have to look at it as a percentage of income. At $3M a year in investment income the 10k is 0.003%. If someone made 100k, that would equate to $333. Would I waste $300 on something I didn’t use? Nope. But it’s not like it’s going to ruin me financially. I made plenty of $333 dollar wasted investment over the years. So it’s relative. Plus, from what I read about the wealthy, (granted this guy is in the B’s) is that the are very careful with how they spend their cash. It’s not about what you make, it’s also about what you keep.

If I had a net worth in the billions and I wanted to join many clubs and blow 10,000 on ones I didn’t use, I would not sweat it.

I think this is right. To me, you have to look at it as a percentage of income. At $3M a year in investment income the 10k is 0.003%. If someone made 100k, that would equate to $333. Would I waste $300 on something I didn't use? Nope. But it's not like it's going to ruin me financially. I made plenty of $333 dollar wasted investment over the years. So it's relative. Plus, from what I read about the wealthy, (granted this guy is in the B's) is that the are very careful with how they spend their cash. It's not about what you make, it's also about what you keep.

If I had a net worth in the billions and I wanted to join many clubs and blow 10,000 on ones I didn't use, I would not sweat it.

Yeah, dangerously close to off-topic but many years ago I used to play an MMORPG called Eve Online. When you destroy other ships they leave some of their cargo or equipment lying around and you can pick it up and sell it. As a new player I remember being excited to pick up a less common item worth perhaps 20,000 Isk or so. Toward the end of my time in Eve as a seasoned player I was a multi-billionaire. I'd hunt in places that I wouldn't have been able to get to back at the start, destroying ships that would have wiped the floor with me as a noob. Of course those kind of ships in those kind of places drop stuff that's a lot better. I can remember ignoring items worth a couple of million Isk. In fact I rarely bothered to pick anything up at all. I'd just fight the fight then leave, leaving millions of Isk floating around to decay.

Eve taught me two things: How to calculate percentages and the relative value of money ;)

Well actually it taught me something else (although perhaps I already knew it). I do so enjoy laughing at idiots suffering the consequences of their own stupid mistakes. I just hide it better in real life :)

I think this is right. To me, you have to look at it as a percentage of income. At $3M a year in investment income the 10k is 0.003%. If someone made 100k, that would equate to $333. Would I waste $300 on something I didn't use? Nope. But it's not like it's going to ruin me financially. I made plenty of $333 dollar wasted investment over the years. So it's relative. Plus, from what I read about the wealthy, (granted this guy is in the B's) is that the are very careful with how they spend their cash. It's not about what you make, it's also about what you keep.

If I had a net worth in the billions and I wanted to join many clubs and blow 10,000 on ones I didn't use, I would not sweat it.

I know a lot of people who are worth more than Seth Waugh...they have really odd money habits, often formed in their youth I'd imagine. People who will drop 250K on a Bentley, but buy their beef at Ralphs. People with membership at the swankiest clubs in LA, but drive clunkers and wear golf shoes with holes in them.

Just read about Sam Walton and you'll see what I mean.

All I'm saying is that not EVERYONE who loves golf would join all those clubs if given the choice.

I know a lot of people who are worth more than Seth Waugh...they have really odd money habits, often formed in their youth I'd imagine. People who will drop 250K on a Bentley, but buy their beef at Ralphs. People with membership at the swankiest clubs in LA, but drive clunkers and wear golf shoes with holes in them.

Just read about Sam Walton and you'll see what I mean.

All I'm saying is that not EVERYONE who loves golf would join all those clubs if given the choice.

It’s really weird but true. One guy I’ve known for a long time is ultra-wealthy, a member at a very exclusive golf club, buys high dollar new cars, and used, not new, yes used shoes.