2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Anyone Ever Shoot Lights-Out After A Prolonged Layoff?

EmperorPenguin

I hurt myself about six weeks ago, pulling a muscle on my upper back when I lifted something too heavy. The immediate pain went away in about two days, but the day after the pain was gone I went to the range and tried hitting shots and ouch! I couldn't hit any shots without feeling pain. I gave it a few days and played golf on my birthday and that, too, proved to be a mistake; my back was stiff and I swung so poorly I couldn't shoot my weight. The day after I decided to take a break from golf. The layoff was about a month, with no practice, and not a club was swung even once.

Just this past Tuesday my buddies and I were playing in our usual annual golf match. My playing partner was trash-talking and I quickly scolded him because I thought my game was completely gone and we would get closed out on all our bets. The morning of the match we all had breakfast together and carpooled to the course. We arrived about ninety minutes before to allow for ample time for warm-up and practice. When I hit my shots the pain was gone and I was hoping that I finally recovered from my upper back injury.

It turned out I was fully recovered. To my surprise, we played very well and closed out our opponents for the front, back and overall. I had not swung a club for at least a month, and suddenly my golf game came back to me so quickly and soon, and I played well.

Anyone ever had a similar experience? Take a long break from golf, and when you finally tee it up, you shoot lights out, when you feel you will play poorly.

Oh well, that's golf.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m hoping to. I haven played in 3 weeks due to travels and weather. Forecast is rain next week too so it will be a month. Plus, I just got a new set of irons that I’ve only had two brief range sessions with. I figure anything could happen once I finally get out.

In the past taking a break from the game has been beneficial. Not a long time away, but a month or so.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I didn’t play for 3 months due to deployment. First round back I shot a 75. I have had other times with a layoff and struggled to keep it in the 90’s

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

Around 25 years ago when i was an Assistant Pro i had a couple of months off after an accident. Did literally a few hours practice the day before and then came joint 1st in my home Clubs Pro-am winning £1000.

I also remember going away on Holiday for 2 weeks, and coming back to the club and the boys were having some sort of money game on the Par 3 course. I got roped in, walked to the first (About 135 yards) and slammed it right into the hole for an ace. Lucky or what !

I do think to a certain degree; that if you're really into it and strong mentally - a short lay-off / break can make you stronger / want it more.

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Usually always do. In MI we all get prolonged layoffs (almost 6 months sometimes) and i have found usually the first few weeks back is when i play my best. For me it has something to do with just thinking about making a smooth swing to make solid contact and not trying to do anything fancy. After the first few weeks i start to get over confidant, swing harder and try "fancy tricks" causing everything to go in the toilet. Then it usually turns into a mental mind f*@# and its like Chris Farley is living in my head screaming "YOU IDIOT!!!!" Then that just makes things worse.

I haven’t figured it out yet, but since I’ve moved to Ohio and actually had an “off season”, my first round back in the spring the last few years has been no worse than even par to two over.

I guess it’s like I’m rebooting the swing and forgotting any bad habits or swing quirks from the fall. It’s just really “easy” golf the first few rounds of spring.

I’ve been as low as a +2 in the past, so, it’s not completely bizarre scoring for me, but I still think it is a bit odd after a significant amount of time off.

For those of us who often have these good rounds, you wonder what is the point of even practicing? I guess that after playing and practicing all those years you develop fundamental movements that lead to a repeating swing. As someone posted earlier, the layoff would be like rebooting and getting rid of those detrimental viruses (i.e., quick-fixes and gimmicks) and you go back to basics.

Of course, this thread pertains to golfers who have played for quite some time and certainly not for beginners who need to practice.

When I played my good round last Tuesday, I concentrated on my pivot, positioning, rhythm and tempo during my warm-up, and on the course I trusted my swing and had only one swing thought when I pulled the trigger.

Now that I am better, I am dubious about going back to my routine of practicing like I used to, fearing that my game will get worse if I do.

For those of us who often have these good rounds, you wonder what is the point of even practicing? I guess that after playing and practicing all those years you develop fundamental movements that lead to a repeating swing. As someone posted earlier, the layoff would be like rebooting and getting rid of those detrimental viruses (i.e., quick-fixes and gimmicks) and you go back to basics.

Of course, this thread pertains to golfers who have played for quite some time and certainly not for beginners who need to practice.

When I played my good round last Tuesday, I concentrated on my pivot, positioning, rhythm and tempo during my warm-up, and on the course I trusted my swing and had only one swing thought when I pulled the trigger.

Now that I am better, I am dubious about going back to my routine of practicing like I used to, fearing that my game will get worse if I do.

After 30 years of playing and 25 of that being pretty serious about the game, I honestly think that if I spent 90% of my practice time with just my driver, wedges, and putter I would be just fine and never have my game go backwards....at least until age really starts to get me.

My full swing after so many years is pretty much set in stone. I find as I get a bit older that I really need to mainly keep on top of short approaches, chipping, pitching, and putting to keep my scores low. 120 yards and in is the main focus for me now.

Probably most importantly, If I don’t spend some decent time each week with my lob wedge I get a little yippy and my scoring suffers quickly. I’ve found The nerves connecting the brain to the hands aren’t quite the same anymore.

I had a knee injury at work in April which required surgery. Long story short, workers comp decided to take the slow lane and I had surgery the 3rd week of july. 6 weeks later I played my first round since early April,,, I shot an 80. (it's been down hill since).....

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

One of my golf buddies. First day of our golf trip last year. He hadn't been playing, I'd easily put in twice the rounds that he had. He's usually a few strokes better than me but we have competitive matches. A score around 80 will usually take all the bets between us. I'm figuring he's good for upper 80s on this day due to his time away and the fact that it is an unfamiliar course, so I'm thinking anything below 85 is going to win. Finally got him where I want him.

He smokes me with a 1-over par 73.

After his 37 on the front we stopped even talking about the score because I didn't want it to be in his head. I kept grinding just to make sure he kept grinding, but I had the scorecard and knew I was getting my clock cleaned.

The wallet got a little light on that first day.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

Hasn’t happened to me, but it certainly did for my husband. He’s got peripheral artery disease and it got bad enough that he needed a femoral artery bypass. Didn’t play for nearly three months, it’s not a recovery you want to rush, and played his first round without so much as chipping and putting. He was an occasionally break 80 guy and he shot 74.

It didn’t last long, of course, but it was fun to watch after all he’d been through.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I haven't played since Sept/Oct. Mostly due to weather here in the Midwest. I guarantee that my first round out for the year will be the best. A natural swing that hasn't been sweat over much during the winter months, trying to be perfect and it will be smooth. Then throughout the summer i will think too much and it will get worse and worse as i wonder why I am getting leakage too the right..

Driver: Titleist TSI3 10 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65

Fairway Wood: Titliest TSI2 15 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65
Hybrid: Titleist TSI2 18 Deg - Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid 65
Irons: PXG Gen4 0311 P 4-GW - KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Vokey SM9, 54 & 60 - AMT Red 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond / Chrome Soft X

It's not that uncommon for me to play really well the first time back after an extended lay-off. I'm usually pretty conservative in how I play and my scoring expectations are usually low.

It's that second round back that usually is a real doozy ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

This just happened within the last 2 weeks. Haven't played in a month, no swing thoughts, laughing the entire way around and boom 72 (even) with a boogie on the last (3putt). I am normally in the 70's but this was not expected at all. The part that was the shock was just the ease of the 72, no work, as in I was actually thinking that was the biggest # I could have shot. No miraculous recoveries or 50" bombs just fairway, green and ho hum 2 putt. I was even on the par 5's and they are normally my bread and butter. I truly am a believer that getting away from the game is as good for me as grinding on the range sometimes. There are times to bang balls and then there are times to just set the clubs down and go fishing. When I do practice, if I feel off and cant get in a grove within the first 10-15 balls, I will normally walk away. I don't want to ingrain a bad thought that might take me a month to recover from. Just not worth it with the infrequency that I am playing now.

Yep. 2008 had three surgeries in a one year period, one of them major abdominal surgery. Long story short, did not touch a club for over a year. First round back with only one 30 minute range session the day before: 69 at Landmark in Hemet with my son and one of his buddies from the high school golf team.

They were not pleased. LOL

Like others have said, you are just going completely on feel and activating your "inner athlete." Also, the course was easy: 6500, 71.0/125(?)

And then, as others have said also: The next two months were HELL. I think it took me another 20 rounds (at least) to break par again.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Absolutely. usually works this way. But chipping and pitching is a struggle every time.

For some reason, this is when my putting is the best, which seems to be abnormal?

Ping G400 LST 10 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping G400 16.5 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping i59 4-PW - PX IO 6.0, 1” long

Vokey SM7 Jet Black 52-56-60 

Scotty Cameron 2018 Newport 3

Ugh....No. My prolonged period after injury was 9 years and I sucked first round back! Great course and I threw a 98 on the card.

I need repetition but admire those who have fundamentals so ingrained that they can pick em up or put em down anytime and still score somewhat. I can always hit the ball but the short game turns to s*** fast :-(

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Had 1 of my best rounds ever as the first round of the season, three months after 2nd degree shoulder separation on my left shoulder. Really had to adjust my through swing path way left to compensate for pain, and for whatever reason on that day I barely missed. I was happy just to be on the course and ended up playing great.

I'm always surprised by the first round of the year. Once it was lights out, but most of the time those rounds have been really pleasantly surprising...like one of those "what if" rounds...

• What if I had practiced throughout the winter (applies to me because I live in New England)?
  • What if I had just warmed up longer?
  • What if I didn't have that beer? LOL