How many "regular" PGA wins equal a "major" win?

manku

For me, and I’m not speaking for anyone else on the board, it’s 9 or 10-1, of course depending on what those 9 or 10 tourneys are?

Putzes?

Have a great weekend Gents?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here’s what Tour pros REALLY think (about Tiger, Trump, gambling, cheating and so much more)

https://www.golf.com...s-donald-trump/

WOULD YOU TAKE ONE MAJOR OR 10 TOUR WINS?

ONE MAJOR: 36%

10 TOUR WINS: 64%

“Depends if it’s 10 Puerto Rico Opens.”

“I’ll take history over padding my bank account.”

“Would you rather win $10+ million or $1.85 million in the lottery? All about the cash.”

“Which major?”

"All about the cash." This...

When I used to fantasize about playing on tour, I just wanted to make a decent living playing golf. Because I love playing golf. I didn't care, nor had a deep desire to win any tournaments. Enough to support my family and keep my card every year would have been enough for me. I wouldn't want a bunch of drunk fans and cameras following me around, thanks. ;)

But then I love playing golf and even just hitting different shots at the range. I'm headed to the range now, the fourth time this week. :D

Very surprising how many guys would take one major over 10 tour wins. I would think if they changed it to 5 wins, the majority of the pros would take a major over 5 tour wins.

So essentially you are saying Andy North had a better career than Stricker? Or at the very least equal?

I love Stricker, he’s awesome. But Andy North is still being brought up almost 35 years after his win, quite frankly I doubt in 35 years Stricker will brought up in many golf history conversations. No matter how much we like him.

Here’s what Tour pros REALLY think (about Tiger, Trump, gambling, cheating and so much more)

“Would you rather win $10+ million or $1.85 million in the lottery? All about the cash.”

“Which major?”

When I used to fantasize about playing on tour, I just wanted to make a decent living playing golf. Because I love playing golf. I didn't care, nor had a deep desire to win any tournaments. Enough to support my family and keep my card every year would have been enough for me. I wouldn't want a bunch of drunk fans and cameras following me around, thanks. ;)

But then I love playing golf and even just hitting different shots at the range. I'm headed to the range now, the fourth time this week. :D

Very surprising how many guys would take one major over 10 tour wins. I would think if they changed it to 5 wins, the majority of the pros would take a major over 5 tour wins.

So essentially you are saying Andy North had a better career than Stricker? Or at the very least equal?

I love Stricker, he’s awesome. But Andy North is still being brought up almost 35 years after his win, quite frankly I doubt in 35 years Stricker will brought up in many golf history conversations. No matter how much we like him.

Sorry-in a way you have me laughing. Yes, Andy North is being brought up in conversations. If that is your goal so are Micheel, Moody and co. North is being brought up for his anomaly of a career. Played the PGA tour full time for years and has just three wins -two of them majors(US Opens). I am more impressed by Stricker. Got it done 10 times instead of 3. Reached 2nd on the money list in his best year vs North's best of 24th.

So we all have varying opinions on "what counts".

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

“Which major?”

Sorry-in a way you have me laughing. Yes, Andy North is being brought up in conversations. If that is your goal so are Micheel, Moody and co. North is being brought up for his anomaly of a career. Played the PGA tour full time for years and has just three wins -two of them majors(US Opens). I am more impressed by Stricker. Got it done 10 times instead of 3. Reached 2nd on the money list in his best year vs North's best of 24th.

So we all have varying opinions on "what counts".

Why are you laughing, you brought him up, not me. Is anyone going to bring up Stricker in 35 years (other than he gave Tiger a putting lesson).

Why are you laughing, you brought him up, not me. Is anyone going to bring up Stricker in 35 years (other than he gave Tiger a putting lesson).

Sorry-my post probably comes across as laughing at you in print. I just meant that Andy North is generally brought up as a prime example of why majors are not a bigger deal. Or why they are not harder to win.

North and his game were a good fit for his era of US Opens. And to his credit he won two.

In my opinion, and I am not trying to change anyone else's opinion, it is "better" to have reached the levels that a Stricker did in the game than to have a few great weeks. YMMV.

It's the weekend-let's go play!

Sorry-my post probably comes across as laughing at you in print. I just meant that Andy North is generally brought up as a prime example of why majors are not a bigger deal. Or why they are not harder to win.

North and his game were a good fit for his era of US Opens. And to his credit he won two.

In my opinion, and I am not trying to change anyone else's opinion, it is "better" to have reached the levels that a Stricker did in the game than to have a few great weeks. YMMV.

It's the weekend-let's go play!

I’ll drink to that (of course I’ll drink to just about anything!)

If money wasnt a factor, I'd take 1 Masters over an infinite amount of regular wins.

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

I don't have a ego to feed, nothing to prove, nor care if I'm remembered by anyone other than my family.

I'd still take the cash and enjoy my life. YMMV

And who the hell's Andy North? ;)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

• 3 months later...

I will say none. Winning a Major shouldn't be something you need to get into the HOF. Except fir a chosen few most won their major by luck. You telling me John Daily is a better golfer than Monty. First the PGA is one step above a regular tour stop. US Open is garbage. Only Masters and The Open are true tests. You win 50 events no Majors is still greatnesd.

I will say none. Winning a Major shouldn't be something you need to get into the HOF. Except fir a chosen few most won their major by luck. You telling me John Daily is a better golfer than Monty. First the PGA is one step above a regular tour stop. US Open is garbage. Only Masters and The Open are true tests. You win 50 events no Majors is still greatnesd.

John Daly to Tiger,

‘Man, you don’t need to work out. You need to drink a little bit with us.’”

Tiger to JD,

‘If I had your talent I’d be doing the same thing you’re doing,’”

“Which major?”

I just don't know about that. People still bring up Bruce Lietzke. Why? Because he was a damn good golfer with a unique swing and something interesting: he very rarely practiced.

People will be talking about Stricker in 20 years because he was a damn good golfer of his time.

For me, and Im not speaking for anyone else on the board, its 9 or 10-1, of course depending on what those 9 or 10 tourneys are

Putzes

Have a great weekend Gents

RP

I was going to say: "Precisely 8.2!" LOL

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

In response to the title of the thread...0.

A major is a major. That's why no other tournament is a major. Sure winnings is hard. But winning a major is a different level of hard.

How so?

Same opponents? check

Same courses? check

The two greatest players ever won majors at approximately the same pace as regular events. There is nothing inherently more difficult winning a major than any other big event. Unless there is something in the players head that makes it so. Apparently some players found majors easier to win...Micheel...North....Moody While others like Stricker and Monty of course found them to be harder.

Edited to add: It is my belief that there are a couple main reasons young players in general do so much better earlier in their career than most in the past. One is that they have better swing training as children. Perhaps the main reasons is mental training that has taught them that golf is golf. The challenge does not change from the amateur ranks to majors on the big tour. It is them against the course and not against the other players.

A major is a major. That's why no other tournament is a major. Sure winnings is hard. But winning a major is a different level of hard.

How so?

Same opponents? check

Same courses? check

The two greatest players ever won majors at approximately the same pace as regular events. There is nothing inherently more difficult winning a major than any other big event. Unless there is something in the players head that makes it so. Apparently some players found majors easier to win...Micheel...North....Moody While others like Stricker and Monty of course found them to be harder.

Edited to add: It is my belief that there are a couple main reasons young players in general do so much better earlier in their career than most in the past. One is that they have better swing training as children. Perhaps the main reasons is mental training that has taught them that golf is golf. The challenge does not change from the amateur ranks to majors on the big tour. It is them against the course and not against the other players.

C’mon the US Open at Pebble Beach is a completely different beast than the regular crapola tournament at Pebble Beach.

More difficult course setup and a far stronger field. Aside from the name of the course, they have almost nothing in common.

How so?

Same opponents? check

Same courses? check

C'mon the US Open at Pebble Beach is a completely different beast than the regular crapola tournament at Pebble Beach.

More difficult course setup and a far stronger field. Aside from the name of the course, they have almost nothing in common.

A) someone will win-just like any event. B) The harder field is true-to an extent. Do you think the winning score would have been any different this past week if DJ and Koepka and Woods were playing? The winning score does not really change based on who is playing. The better players have a lower scoring average because they are more consistent. Would anyone have gone lower than Svennson(in rd 1) or Kuchar? C) see A

How so?

Same opponents? check

Same courses? check

C'mon the US Open at Pebble Beach is a completely different beast than the regular crapola tournament at Pebble Beach.

A) someone will win-just like any event. B) The harder field is true-to an extent. Do you think the winning score would have been any different this past week if DJ and Koepka and Woods were playing? The winning score does not really change based on who is playing. The better players have a lower scoring average because they are more consistent. Would anyone have gone lower than Svennson(in rd 1) or Kuchar? C) see A

A) in games without ties someone will always win. In general the better player or team wins more.

B) the winning score would have most likely been different if it were a major. The course set up would probably play harder. The better players in the field of a major might have put more pressure on Kuchar, forcing him to take more stressful shots. Like, iirc he started Sunday with a 3 stroke lead. He might not have that big of a cushion with more of the top 25 in the field. He might have to “go for it” more with a DJ or Tiger breathing down his neck on the final round of a major.

C) it’s possible. You’re talking about the top 5 players in the world who weren’t in the field. Who knows? One of them might have shot a 63 on Sunday and won by a stroke or 2.

D) closing out a Game 7 or any game where the stakes are highest is one of the most difficult things in sports. The mental toughness the all time greats like Tiger and Jack possess is probably their greatest asset. A 1 stroke lead on a Sunday in April at Augusta is a whole different ball of wax then the same 1 stroke lead on a Sunday in January in Hawaii.

^^Then why do the best-Jack and Tiger-win majors roughly at the same rate they win regular events? If the best have this huge mental advantage and the majors are so much more difficult to win why didn't they win more majors? How could Yang beat Woods? Fleck beat Hogan?

It's still golf.

^^Then why do the best-Jack and Tiger-win majors roughly at the same rate they win regular events? If the best have this huge mental advantage and the majors are so much more difficult to win why didn't they win more majors? How could Yang beat Woods? Fleck beat Hogan?

It's still golf.

You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts, majors are harder to win and far more prestigious that a random tour win just ask Doug Sanders

It's still golf.

You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts, majors are harder to win and far more prestigious that a random tour win just ask Doug Sanders

They didn't win at the same rate? For every Sanders there is a Micheel.

But yes, over the years they have received more prestige.

It's still golf.

They don't.

Tiger's win rate for majors is 18.9%. His win rate for other events is 25.6%

Jack's win rate for majors(through age 46) is 18.2% and for other events is 15.7%

It's still golf.

They don't.

Tiger's win rate for majors is 18.9%. His win rate for other events is 25.6%

Jack's win rate for majors(through age 46) is 18.2% and for other events is 15.7%

Competed to other players lowly percentages those numbers don't qualify as "roughly"? Jack's 2.5% is roughly an extra major every dozen years.

I have never looked at it that way. That’s like saying “how many Chevy Malibus equal a Mercedes E Class?” You can take the 4 Malibus and I’ll take the Benz, hahaha. A Major is a Major, the pinnacle, the ultimate, the absolute zenith of Professional golf and a Professional golfer’s career. Even if he/she wins only one, for that week, for those 72 holes, they were THE GREATEST in their craft, and they ran with, beat and will always have a place amongst the titans & icons of the game, if for only that one week, however they will sit with them forever. Doesn’t matter. They went to the mountain top. A Major? There is no substitute:) M