Lower body starts downswing: How To Feel This

juliette91

The video begs the question I posed for this thread—yes it’s just about as perfect a transition move as you could find anywhere on any golfer on any video. But it doesn’t answer the question of how to get our own bodies to do this, or somewhere in the brain to cause this to sequentially spot on occur.

I can watch this sweet move all day long and not get my body to duplicate it. When I try to do it my head moves too far forward and/or the coordination of the body parts just ain’t happenin’

Frankly I think it’s nothing more than God given athleticism.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The video begs the question I posed for this thread—yes it's just about as perfect a transition move as you could find anywhere on any golfer on any video. But it doesn't answer the question of how to get our own bodies to do this, or somewhere in the brain to cause this to sequentially spot on occur.

I can watch this sweet move all day long and not get my body to duplicate it. When I try to do it my head moves too far forward and/or the coordination of the body parts just ain't happenin'

Frankly I think it's nothing more than God given athleticism.

Are you saying your swing will never look like Xander's? Few will. I'd be willing to bet you can still get some flexion in transition to help facilitate the starting of the downswing.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Do this drill (whether will a range bucket, impact bag, or something else that you find works)

[media=]

[/media]

or buy the sheftic board and do this (was already posted a page ago)

https://www.instagra.../p/BqYLDStl_fy/

Or do a version of the step drill.

Or do the drill with an alignment stick in the ground about a fist distance away from your lead hip.

Or seek a good instructor.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

The video begs the question I posed for this thread—yes it's just about as perfect a transition move as you could find anywhere on any golfer on any video. But it doesn't answer the question of how to get our own bodies to do this, or somewhere in the brain to cause this to sequentially spot on occur.

I can watch this sweet move all day long and not get my body to duplicate it. When I try to do it my head moves too far forward and/or the coordination of the body parts just ain't happenin'

Frankly I think it's nothing more than God given athleticism.

Are you saying your swing will never look like Xander's? Few will. I'd be willing to bet you can still get some flexion in transition to help facilitate the starting of the downswing.

Thanks for your reply. Realize I got a bit frustrated there with my post.

Do this drill (whether will a range bucket, impact bag, or something else that you find works)

[media=]

[/media]

Or do the drill with an alignment stick in the ground about a fist distance away from your lead hip.

[media=]

[/media]

Thanks for taking the time to post these videos and your advice. I will follow up and let you know if I was helped by them.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Thanks for taking the time to post these videos and your advice. I will follow up and let you know if I was helped by them.

Without video all of these are shots in the dark. The fact you mention and upper body lunge when you attempt a shift indicates an upper body dominate swing type.

You may have to go back to your backswing to make progress - failure to properly load the core etc versus the upper body - says you can attempt these things til you are

blue in the face and your upper body will still want to take over. Good luck.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

These are great videos, spot on point! The first one is a bit easier to follow as the second one talks a lot about sequencing after the transition has started, going body position by body position as if you can actually control where you hit those positions during your downswing. Don't think it's possible to do that and instead best to work on everything up until the middle of the transition (which would be the start of the downswing or thereabouts) because you can control those with your brain.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Without video all of these are shots in the dark. The fact you mention and upper body lunge when you attempt a shift indicates an upper body dominate swing type.

You may have to go back to your backswing to make progress - failure to properly load the core etc versus the upper body - says you can attempt these things til you are

Well you Sherlock'd it just fine, am a bit embarrassed to post any video of my swing regardless of my handicap. Every time my instructor shows me side by side video with one of the many touring pros on the app she uses I cringe and wonder how the heck I could possible score well, ever. But yes I have this upper body lunge and I have an upper body dominated swing. That's pretty much why I started this discussion in the first place, to make some progress in changing this to a more lower body dominated swing. That's why I began using the Henrik Stenson style, so I could achieve the core loading right away as part of my takeaway. Trouble has been, even with a pause at the top I spin out or end up with too much weight on my back foot---still. And you're right, attempting the changes suggested by these videos will not work until I can really load up the core so my upper body can't really lunge forward.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't post your swing - that's totally up to you. BUT never be embarrassed - we play a tough game. Imagine how many variables must match up at precisely the right time in order to hit a proper golf shot... It's a wonder we can play the game at all.

If you do end up posting a swing there isn't a damn thing to be embarrassed about.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Well you Sherlock'd it just fine, am a bit embarrassed to post any video of my swing regardless of my handicap. Every time my instructor shows me side by side video with one of the many touring pros on the app she uses I cringe and wonder how the heck I could possible score well, ever. But yes I have this upper body lunge and I have an upper body dominated swing. That's pretty much why I started this discussion in the first place, to make some progress in changing this to a more lower body dominated swing. That's why I began using the Henrik Stenson style, so I could achieve the core loading right away as part of my takeaway. Trouble has been, even with a pause at the top I spin out or end up with too much weight on my back foot---still. And you're right, attempting the changes suggested by these videos will not work until I can really load up the core so my upper body can't really lunge forward.

I'd say keep at it - work on backswing to support transition. 1% improvement a day as iteach notes. takes times. took me 2 years to go from a very upper dominate motion to something more balanced. It's when I finally got my right shoulder over my left foot feel at the top that I could really feell my core load - then it just seemed natural that it would lead - whether the feel is a light push from the trail foot and a downhill fall onto the lead foot or my left shoulder going low - and learning to not pull down the arms is the toughest thing and still something i work on a lot - early arm pull down can kill a decent transition. Why I like the pressure board.

http://myteachingpro... efficiency.mp4

Enjoy every sandwich

#Kwonified

Studies have shown that the most active muscles involved in the golf swing are the glutes, the core and the forearms.

One thing I often come back to is to remind myself to swing with my glutes. If you tell yourself to swing down using your left glute, you will automatically drop the club into the correct position and swing “from the ground up”.

This is some significant stuff. If there were an unfound ‘secret’ to the swing this may be it. Because all of the hacks are using every other tiny little upper body muscle to swing, leaving those big powerful donkey haunches out of the whole equation.

Really good topic.

It took a while for me to get it as well. The key is there is no real opposing force for your body to push against at the start of the downswing. Once you are moving though then you can start to feel the inertial force in the upper body opposing the motion.

I often wonder if there’s a shortcut method to teach people? People have tried everything from mirrors to video to learn it. By far, it seems like most people take forever to get it, if ever? Some lucky people get it right away and become scratch less than 3 years after taking up the game.

I’ve see many people on driving ranges struggle with this and continue to do so over the years.

Studies have shown that the most active muscles involved in the golf swing are the glutes, the core and the forearms.

One thing I often come back to is to remind myself to swing with my glutes. If you tell yourself to swing down using your left glute, you will automatically drop the club into the correct position and swing "from the ground up".

This is some significant stuff. If there were an unfound 'secret' to the swing this may be it. Because all of the hacks are using every other tiny little upper body muscle to swing, leaving those big powerful donkey haunches out of the whole equation.

I'm with you on this. There are lots of different looking backswings on tour and the crucial part of the swing is the first few feet coming down where they all find a way of getting the club back in a good position.

If you don't engage your lower body properly on the backswing then you are lacking the stretch and rotation loading in your glutes that provides such an important trigger point to the start of the downswing sequencing. That's when it all gets a bit handsy and makes it easy to come over the top.

One thing I often come back to is to remind myself to swing with my glutes. If you tell yourself to swing down using your left glute, you will automatically drop the club into the correct position and swing "from the ground up".

This is some significant stuff. If there were an unfound 'secret' to the swing this may be it. Because all of the hacks are using every other tiny little upper body muscle to swing, leaving those big powerful donkey haunches out of the whole equation.

I'm with you on this. There are lots of different looking backswings on tour and the crucial part of the swing is the first few feet coming down where they all find a way of getting the club back in a good position.

If you don't engage your lower body properly on the backswing then you are lacking the stretch and rotation loading in your glutes that provides such an important trigger point to the start of the downswing sequencing. That's when it all gets a bit handsy and makes it easy to come over the top.

It will be my personal golf lifetime achievement if I can start to feel my lower body leading the race to impact. Sincerely appreciate all of you who have shared your thoughts, videos and personal experiences on this. I've said before that it's rare for there to be a universal teaching drill or style or method for all golfers, that you have to really figure out what works for you among a shocking number of teachings that seem in contradiction to each other.

Taking the most recent posts, can I get my brain to figure out where my glutes are at the start of the downswing so I can turn them down? I bet if I could it would help, may be the key for me. But I started this thread to gain some insight into what people feel in order to get their lower body to lead on the downswing, hoping that one of the posts would be something I could actually feel. I know using the word "feel" has raised some hackles on the board but at the root of it the swing is entirely "feel". Done enough time it looks mechanical but it's your awareness of where your body is at any one point that allows you to repeat that sequence. My sequence is off and as a shorter hitter I can't afford to leave my glutes or any big muscle out of helping me gain distance much less a better and more repeatable swing path.

Keep on posting if this topic still interests you or if you have something you think adds to the discussion. Want to echo what one poster said, that this is the holy grail move in golf, the real secret.

It will be my personal golf lifetime achievement if I can start to feel my lower body leading the race to impact. Sincerely appreciate all of you who have shared your thoughts, videos and personal experiences on this. I've said before that it's rare for there to be a universal teaching drill or style or method for all golfers, that you have to really figure out what works for you among a shocking number of teachings that seem in contradiction to each other.

Taking the most recent posts, can I get my brain to figure out where my glutes are at the start of the downswing so I can turn them down? I bet if I could it would help, may be the key for me. But I started this thread to gain some insight into what people feel in order to get their lower body to lead on the downswing, hoping that one of the posts would be something I could actually feel. I know using the word "feel" has raised some hackles on the board but at the root of it the swing is entirely "feel". Done enough time it looks mechanical but it's your awareness of where your body is at any one point that allows you to repeat that sequence. My sequence is off and as a shorter hitter I can't afford to leave my glutes or any big muscle out of helping me gain distance much less a better and more repeatable swing path.

Keep on posting if this topic still interests you or if you have something you think adds to the discussion. Want to echo what one poster said, that this is the holy grail move in golf, the real secret.

Your left a** cheeck. Connect that big muscle to the swing. Everythig else can relax. Your a** cheeks, your core and the underside of your forearms are going to do the work. Establish that connection, I think it will help.

When you set up, tell your legs to get ready. Activate them. Grab hold of the ground. Tell your arms to hang loose like ropes. Tell the underside of your forearms to hang onto the club, via your three little fingers on each hand holding like hooks. When you contract that left forearm, it will bow your wrist and close the face. Tell your core to get ready to facilitate the rotation.

From the butt cheeck, to the core, to the forearm, to the clubhead, through the ball, into a long balanced finish.

You cant walk 20 yards on your arms. But you can walk all day with your legs.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

How is this "fall forward" move any different than the position you get in with stack & tilt at address? I'm sure I'm missing something.

Your left a** cheeck. Connect that big muscle to the swing. Everythig else can relax. Your a** cheeks, your core and the underside of your forearms are going to do the work. Establish that connection, I think it will help.

When you set up, tell your legs to get ready. Activate them. Grab hold of the ground. Tell your arms to hang loose like ropes. Tell the underside of your forearms to hang onto the club, via your three little fingers on each hand holding like hooks. When you contract that left forearm, it will bow your wrist and close the face. Tell your core to get ready to facilitate the rotation.

From the butt cheeck, to the core, to the forearm, to the clubhead, through the ball, into a long balanced finish.

You cant walk 20 yards on your arms. But you can walk all day with your legs.

Ha! I'm all too well aware of where my a__ i_! And you vividly described the the sequence as you see it. Will certainly try to feel that in my next practice. The persistent problem I have is feeling something in my body that I need to activate at the time that part of the body is not experiencing as much weight as another part of the body. So when I coil and get to my left side (though I'm LH I'm going to use right and left the way a right hander would, just because I think it's less confusing) my weight is like 70% or so on that right side. The transition to get my weight to my left side means I have to figure out where my left glute is in order to get it to fire and turn down. That's been the sticking point for me so far, instantaneously getting to that left side during transition. That's why the pause has been so helpful but if that pause is too long then I get stuck on my right side and swing hard with my arms/hands.

For me, the idea of action/reaction makes the most sense for the transition. I think that's why so many pros and good amateurs--pretty much anyone who really can make a lower body swing move at the right time-- push off toward the target to initiate the swing, react by pushing away from the target and react to that by the pushing back toward the target. Seems to be the big idea behind the forward press too: press forward with hands while your body presses a bit forward toward the target, then you "push off" your weight shift to your right side, then you react to that push back by pushing toward the target on your transition/downswing.

In the end I'm just looking for something I can repeat with a natural feel but that might be too much to ask. I'll just take repeatable and call it a day. Thanks for your post.

Here is my go to feel - left shoulder off chin.

Demonstrated by the famous Ted Norby.

Or if you like, someone a bit more famous

http://www.instagram.com/p/BojuvyBFaaD/

Enjoy every sandwich

#Kwonified

I learned the move indoors doing freezer drills. Here's what worked for me:

Grab a club and make a full backswing. Bonus points if you have a mirror to check your positions and make sure that most of your weight is on your trail foot when you are at the top. In slow motion, shift your weight to your lead foot and open your hips. Do NOT unwind your shoulders but rather let them rotate with your torso. When your hips are open and most of your weight is on your lead foot, your trail elbow should be on or near your trail hip. Your club shaft should have shallowed on the way down and you should be about P5.5.

Take it back to the top and do it again. Repeat until comfortable. Then add your release but don't let your shoulders unwind until your weight has shifted to your lead foot.

If you can't get the move started, try Monte's 'zipper away' drill on youtube.

belt buckle down, shifting the lead knee, squatting, GG's leg action, bumping the hip, separating the legs....it's all basically the same move it's just a matter of what works for each person. They may look drastically different if you do them in slow motion as a rehearsal but during the actual swing, they look nearly identical. Similar to Monte's moves for getting the lead arm off of the chest. You can try to consciously move the lead arm, right elbow toward belly button, getting right shoulder forward, etc all produce extremely similar if not the same motion, just different ways to do it.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

belt buckle down, shifting the lead knee, squatting, GG's leg action, bumping the hip, separating the legs....it's all basically the same move it's just a matter of what works for each person. They may look drastically different if you do them in slow motion as a rehearsal but during the actual swing, they look nearly identical. Similar to Monte's moves for getting the lead arm off of the chest. You can try to consciously move the lead arm, right elbow toward belly button, getting right shoulder forward, etc all produce extremely similar if not the same motion, just different ways to do it.

Agree, hoping somewhere out there one of these will work. Have really appreciated the time and energy many posters put into explaining their successes or trying to teach us all.

Agree, hoping somewhere out there one of these will work. Have really appreciated the time and energy many posters put into explaining their successes or trying to teach us all.

Start off slowly rehearsing a few first, then do it with a half swing at 50% speed then normal half then full at 50% then full normal. You have to build your way into it

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

I follow Andrew Jensen vlog. Latest on his recent lesson with iteach. Build into it, indeed.

Enjoy every sandwich

#Kwonified

Start off slowly rehearsing a few first, then do it with a half swing at 50% speed then normal half then full at 50% then full normal. You have to build your way into it

Yes yes yes...

I follow Andrew Jensen vlog. Latest on his recent lesson with iteach. Build into it, indeed.

Thanks for this cool post. One thing to be a bit wary of is trying to implement swing pieces from the instruction to highly skilled players like Jensen. Just always be thinking that the swing is dynamic and he may have a lot more "right" about his swing up to the point he's working on with instruction---than mortal players like the vast majority of wrx'rs (yes, even the ones with 115 mph speed).

Thanks for this cool post. One thing to be a bit wary of is trying to implement swing pieces from the instruction to highly skilled players like Jensen. Just always be thinking that the swing is dynamic and he may have a lot more "right" about his swing up to the point he's working on with instruction---than mortal players like the vast majority of wrx'rs (yes, even the ones with 115 mph speed).

Not his swing but his process. Last 6 minutes are key to me. Slow to where you can do the move with confidence, then a bit faster,, then full speed. Ladder it until you start to fail then back it down. Build it to work at full speed. I think Too many just go full speed or really slow then full speed. Then wonder why they can’t make a change

Enjoy every sandwich

#Kwonified