Best tours and tournaments by age

At what age are the US Kids tournaments no longer the best competition?

The US Kids website itself says Worlds is "The pinnacle event for competitive golfers age 12 and under" - so where is it after that?

13 and 14 seems a bit young for AJGA still - so where do those ages compete generally?

I assume by 15 and 16 good junior golfers should be competing on AJGA - but any other tours or major tournaments they should be focused on?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US kids tournaments are meaningless for the most part. Kids should be playing there state level junior tournments once there able to. AGJA is good but you can only do 5 of those a year.

Beyond that you should be doing US and State Amature tournaments against adults too. If you have enough game a US open or even a Pro qualifier is good too. If you win those you can start thinking about becomeing pro and skipping college.

It really depends where you live. Where we live (Texas), I never thought US kids tournaments were the best competition at any age, but I realize that may vary by location. The world championship, on the other hand, is a really good tournament through the age of 12. For our area, the local and regional PGA events were the most consistently strong in terms of competition, then Texas Legends Tour, and AJGA junior all stars and qualifiers starting around age 12.

At what age are the US Kids tournaments no longer the best competition?

The US Kids website itself says Worlds is "The pinnacle event for competitive golfers age 12 and under" - so where is it after that?

13 and 14 seems a bit young for AJGA still - so where do those ages compete generally?

I assume by 15 and 16 good junior golfers should be competing on AJGA - but any other tours or major tournaments they should be focused on?

It all depends on where you live. USKG World is among the best through 12. Future Masters is outstanding until you get to 15 yo. We live in MS and the state JG Association doesn’t offer much competition. Once we get to 12 we will play a lot of SJGT events which is very good for those in MS, AL, GA, TN.

I’m beginning to develop a total disdain for the AJGA, and parents of D1 golfers to whom I’ve spoken said if they had a do-over they would play far fewer of those events. Not living in TX, CA or FL probably means we’ll have to play at least some in the future but we are going to play as few as necessary.

Our experience with the AJGA has been the complete opposite. My son is a senior in high school, and he/we have loved everything about the organization and events.

I have no experience with the events—other than second hand. I do have experience with the organization and that experience leads me to believe the AJGA is all about the AJGA, while there are other tours that put the kids first.

There’s no doubt their model succeeds in amassing most of the better/best players into fields to compete with each other—especially their invitational events.

However, I don’t like the perception that’s been built that you “have” to compete in those events and I don’t like their ranking and priority structure that forces you into their organization.

It’s much more a matter of principal than anything about their actual events.

Our experience with the AJGA has been the complete opposite. My son is a senior in high school, and he/we have loved everything about the organization and events.

I have no experience with the eventsother than second hand. I do have experience with the organization and that experience leads me to believe the AJGA is all about the AJGA, while there are other tours that put the kids first.

Theres no doubt their model succeeds in amassing most of the better/best players into fields to compete with each otherespecially their invitational events.

However, I dont like the perception thats been built that you have to compete in those events and I dont like their ranking and priority structure that forces you into their organization.

Its much more a matter of principal than anything about their actual events.

I agree with this.

Girl’s do not need AJGA at all to play high level college.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

This is for boys. Sorry, I don’t have experienced with the girls tours.

12 and under US Kids. This is not even close. US kids runs the best local, state, regional and world tourneys.

13 is a tweener year. FGT, golf week, SJGT, hurricane, scpga etc. find the tournaments that have a balance of completion for your child.

14-15 ajga junior all star

15-18 ajga opens & invitationals

- other invitational DJ, Heritage, Gator etc

Im really curious to know if you actually read any of the countless threads/posts that 99% cover your random questions of the day.

Another personal attack, S?

Perhaps you should ask J whether my questions are smarter than that of a (PSE) FIFTH GRADER'S???

I read all of the comments and posts of what I've asked or written

I haven't seen the topics asked or discussed recently

This is something that I am trying to get my hands around as US Kids is about to run its course - he is 11 and turning 12 next year.

As a 12 yr old (next year) - He will play primarily US Kids (local/regional/national), with a mix of local Jr PGA tournaments. The local PGA is a 11-15 division with yardage close to 6100 yds.

I imagine as a 13 yr old he will play primarily the local stuff along with Hurricane and other competitive tournaments I can find for a kid in the Tri State area. I think the next couple of years will be a grind out for him, i.e.. play local stuff, long yards, with older kids and see how much you can develop.

Have not thought about 14 or 15.. too far to plan that ahead, and will really depend on his development.

This is something that I am trying to get my hands around as US Kids is about to run its course - he is 11 and turning 12 next year.

As a 12 yr old (next year) - He will play primarily US Kids (local/regional/national), with a mix of local Jr PGA tournaments. The local PGA is a 11-15 division with yardage close to 6100 yds.

I imagine as a 13 yr old he will play primarily the local stuff along with Hurricane and other competitive tournaments I can find for a kid in the Tri State area. I think the next couple of years will be a grind out for him, i.e.. play local stuff, long yards, with older kids and see how much you can develop.

Have not thought about 14 or 15.. too far to plan that ahead, and will really depend on his development.

6,100 yards as a 12 year old isn't that long... just over 3,000 per nine. Locally we are playing that for the 9 - 11 year olds (examples below). I would suspect your kid will do just fine from the longer yardages and the development will come along much more quickly.

rNdtnTx.jpg

rcnv2JO.jpg

that is helpful..

He has had a growth spurt the last few months so will be interesting how he handles a 6000 yd course... i know 3 months ago it would have been a lot of hybrids and 3 woods into the greens, which is not fun.

6,100 yards as a 12 year old isn't that long... just over 3,000 per nine. Locally we are playing that for the 9 - 11 year olds (examples below). I would suspect your kid will do just fine from the longer yardages and the development will come along much more quickly.

rNdtnTx.jpg

rcnv2JO.jpg

It depends where you are located. 6100 yards in Florida at sea level is longer than 6100 yards at Pinehurst.

It depends where you are located. 6100 yards in Florida at sea level is longer than 6100 yards at Pinehurst.

From Titleist

• You can calculate the distance gain you will experience (compared to sea level) by multiplying the elevation (in feet) by .00116. For example, if you're playing in Reno, at 1 mile elevation (5,280 ft.) the increase is about 6% (5,280 x .00116 = 6.1248). If you normally drive the ball 250 yards at sea level, you will likely drive it 265 yards in Reno.

Pinehurst elevation is 561' above sea level

561 x .00116 = 0.65

1.0065 x 6100yds = 6140yds

so the differential between Pinehurst and sea-level FL on a 6100yds course is 40yds, or 2.2yds per hole

"educated response"?

From Titleist

• You can calculate the distance gain you will experience (compared to sea level) by multiplying the elevation (in feet) by .00116. For example, if you're playing in Reno, at 1 mile elevation (5,280 ft.) the increase is about 6% (5,280 x .00116 = 6.1248). If you normally drive the ball 250 yards at sea level, you will likely drive it 265 yards in Reno.

561 x .00116 = 0.65

so the differential between Pinehurst and sea-level FL on a 6100yds course is 40yds, or 2.2yds per hole

"educated response"?

The real issue with course in South Florida is the fairways are lot softer. This means less roll. In florida fairways tend to be soft and you do not get roll. This is true especially in south florida. If you ever played golf in places such as Texas or Oklahoma the ball can roll easily 50-100 yards on hard concrete like clay fairways that haven't been watered there.

In those type of conditions an extra 30-50 yards a hole adds up to a lot of yardage.

From Titleist

561 x .00116 = 0.65

"educated response"?

The real issue with course in South Florida is the fairways are lot softer. This means less roll. In florida fairways tend to be soft and you do not get roll. This is true especially in south florida. If you ever played golf in places such as Texas or Oklahoma the ball can roll easily 50-100 yards on hard concrete like clay fairways that haven't been watered there.

In those type of conditions an extra 30-50 yards a hole adds up to a lot of yardage.

that's fine

the difference between FL and Pinehurst just doesn't have much to do with elevation, that's all

From Titleist

561 x .00116 = 0.65

"educated response"?

From Titleist

But that is just because of the elevation. Doesn't take into account downhill or uphill tee boxes. Also doesn't take into consideration damp fairways in South Florida with no roll out. My kid at 12 had a total Driving distance around 220. At Pinehurst he was driving the ball 240+.

Im really curious to know if you actually read any of the countless threads/posts that 99% cover your random questions of the day.

Perhaps you should ask J whether my questions are smarter than that of a (PSE) FIFTH GRADER'S???

How is that an attack?

Anyhow best of luck in your golf endeavors cuz you will need it. Im done with you.

From Titleist

561 x .00116 = 0.65

"educated response"?

100 yards? Dude come on. I've played manyyyy courses here even cow pastures and never seen a 100 yard roll even if you blade the hell out of it. I'll give you 20-30 yards of roll but much more than that I'm not buying. The open this year one of the fastest tracks they ever played had 80-100 yards of roll and those were firm and burnt out. 50-100 on normal course. Nope.

From Titleist

561 x .00116 = 0.65

"educated response"?

100 yards? Dude come on. I've played manyyyy courses here even cow pastures and never seen a 100 yard roll even if you blade the hell out of it. I'll give you 20-30 yards of roll but much more than that I'm not buying. The open this year one of the fastest tracks they ever played had 80-100 yards of roll and those were firm and burnt out. 50-100 on normal course. Nope.

Yeah... I'm with you on this one.

My 275 yard Drives aren't rolling out to 375.

Although, he's right to some extent. The Fairways in Texas (especially in mid-Summer and Winter) are gonna produce longer runouts than most places. That's part of learning course management though b/c the hazards you can't get to in Spring and Fall come into play.

Mix a little bit of 25MPH April downwind...and you've gotta make some interesting decisions you wouldn't have to consider elsewhere.

How is that an attack?

Anyhow best of luck in your golf endeavors cuz you will need it. Im done with you.

See you soon S

How is that an attack?

I want to be there when you to meet IRL.

They have already met.

How is that an attack?

I want to be there when you to meet IRL.

They have already met.

He doesn't realize how we know each other

Very disappointed he was so rude to me (online)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if US Kids Regionals / US Kids Worlds are JGS eligible? I know there's a ten shot rule locally and for 9 hole groups which would disqualify them but couldn't find anything else on their Rules & Regulations page. Seems like if they have the ten shot rule in place there would be no reason to play in these for us moving forward.

Correct me if I'm worng but usually JGS events are 36 holes.

Anyone know if US Kids Regionals / US Kids Worlds are JGS eligible? I know there's a ten shot rule locally and for 9 hole groups which would disqualify them but couldn't find anything else on their Rules & Regulations page. Seems like if they have the ten shot rule in place there would be no reason to play in these for us moving forward.

Correct me if I'm worng but usually JGS events are 36 holes.

So are Regionals and Worlds for older kids.