2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Too much choice / division.......need help from Ball experts :-)

sevenfourate

Former Club Pro, + h/cap as an Amatuer, not playing much golf these days / last couple of rounds have been playing to around UK 4 handicap. Swing-speed of 110-112mph and play a lot of my golf by the sea-side / windy courses. Prefer a low ball flight, don't want to give up too much distance if i don't have to ! .....but would like a decent amount of predictable and consistent greenside spin; and if i have to give up a few yards so be it. Prefer a medium-hard feel. And i'm absolutely lost with all the modern balls if i'm honest....

Here's what i've tried fairly recently:

1. Slightly older ProV1. Sorry - not sure on year. Just felt like mush off the driver. Spun like a top around the greens.

2. Latest TM TP5-X: Previous TM user for years and years. But this was a rock. Excellent wind performance. Lacked from 50 yards in.

3. Srixon Z Star: Was 'ok'. Excelled in nothing. But then again didn't stand out for any reason either. **Looking back - maybe this is a good thing !

4. Latest Bridgestone Tour B X: Tiny bit hard off the longer stuff - but went well. Short stuff spun pretty good / consistent....but i thought durability was pretty poor. ***Pretty close to covering most of my wants. (Is an XS much softer / shorter ?)

My thoughts initially for this year are 2019 TM TP5 (Is my love for TM swaying me) . Firmer than last years....but should be softer feeling than current TP5-X, scuff resistance is supposed to be hugely improved.

I've not even tried Callaway Chrome Soft or the X version. Would one of these possibly fit in ???

Just........"HEEEEEEEELP" :WTF:

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my understanding that all the X models fly higher than their non-X counterparts.

If you want something that flies low, AVX is the no brainer, but it’s a tad softer than the V1 and spins about 5-10% less than the V1 around the greens. But man is it long. And it holds greens just fine.

The other balls to try are the TP5 (standard), which tbh, is basically a ProV1, but I feel like it is a tad firmer.

The Tour BXS (tigers ball) could work. It’s softer, more spiny, and lower flight than the Tour BX.

Chrome soft is softer than the V1. Spins about the same. I feel it flies higher off the irons than the V1. Chrome soft X is like the V1 standard, but more mid/long spin, also flies higher.

If you can give up 5-10% spin around the greens vs the standard V1, the AVX probably is your best bet. It really stays down off the longer clubs.

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

I would try the Chrome Soft, both regular one and the "X" one and also the AVX ball. The regular Chrome Soft may spin too much for you but not sure. Try the three and see what happens.

AVX keeps coming up. CSX sounds like it might fit the bill - bar the higher flights perhaps...

So if your looking for lower ball flight/less spin. The tutleist avx with surprise you in more ways than one. It is just as consistent as pro v1 v1x. And has much less spin and flys very well through the wind. Only ball I play. +1 handicap play 150+ rounds a year in mostly windy conditions! Greens and fairways!!

Thanks. Sounds like a real good option. And suggested by a few to me. I'm trying to use others experience to whittle potential balls down. Still not easy ! Good golfing to you too in 2019.

Z Star XV. Firmer feel, great control around the green, and probably the best ball out right now in terms of durability and wind stability. Very underrated.

Watched a few Promo vids last night. Wind stability really matters to me. And all Pro users commented on the fact this excels. Cheers !

It is my understanding that all the X models fly higher than their non-X counterparts.

If you want something that flies low, AVX is the no brainer, but it’s a tad softer than the V1 and spins about 5-10% less than the V1 around the greens. But man is it long. And it holds greens just fine.

The other balls to try are the TP5 (standard), which tbh, is basically a ProV1, but I feel like it is a tad firmer.

The Tour BXS (tigers ball) could work. It’s softer, more spiny, and lower flight than the Tour BX.

Chrome soft is softer than the V1. Spins about the same. I feel it flies higher off the irons than the V1. Chrome soft X is like the V1 standard, but more mid/long spin, also flies higher.

If you can give up 5-10% spin around the greens vs the standard V1, the AVX probably is your best bet. It really stays down off the longer clubs.

Fantastic info.Thanks very much.

My latest real World experience is with a 2018 TP5-X and a 2018 Bridgestone Tour B X. The Bridgestone just about spun enough around the green,and felt ok chipping / pitching and was no issues off the putter. The TP5X was a pretty hard around the greens and at times i really struggled to control it chipping / pitching (In terms of getting hop / stop). Any idea or experience of how the TP5 and AVX spin rates or real World performance are compared to those two balls on partial shots ?

Wilson FG Tour.

Completely different than the usual suspects.

Even gets labelled as fitting in right between ProV1 and ProV1X. Sounds like a perfect suggestion perhaps. You a user i presume ? What did you come from if so.....

Avx spins a bit less on all clubs than tp5.

Avx is a stud wind ball. And unless you are playing on greens that roll at 10+, you can easily get hop and stop from 50 yards.

The pros don’t play it because they need every last RPM on the courses they play.

But if keeping it down is more important than spinning it back, the AVX is stud.

L.A.B Link.1

Avx spins a bit less on all clubs than tp5.

Avx is a stud wind ball. And unless you are playing on greens that roll at 10+, you can easily get hop and stop from 50 yards.

The pros don’t play it because they need every last RPM on the courses they play.

But if keeping it down is more important than spinning it back, the AVX is stud.

Thanks again for your experience. Just what i needed.....

I think a 4 piece ball would suit you best.

https://www.vicegolf...-pro-plus-white

https://pearlgolf.co...cts/pure-soft-x

These are balls i tested and really loved! My swingspeed was just to slow, this i why i play 3 piece PearlGolf balls. (PurePro)

Thanks !

Pure-Soft X looks great spec. Bargain price too.

I can't quite make out what the difference is / who the target player is between that and the Pure Pro X though....

Snell MTB black is a decent choice. I found it to be longer than the V1, with less driver spin, about same greenside spin, and a tad firmer.

But it for sure flies higher than the V1. Not as high as the V1x

L.A.B Link.1

Well; just had a stroke of luck; a buddy popped in on his way back from golf and had:

Titleist AVX

Callaway Chrome Soft

Callaway Chrome Soft X

Vice Pro Plus

In his bag.

All 4 with me and ready for some midweek testing. It's a good start.......

Let us know!

The AVX has been polarizing on this site because it spins about 90% of the ProV1 around the greens.

It may be a bit softer than you like, but it launches a good 2* lower IMO, and is significantly longer if you are a high spin player.

As I said before, the Pro guys play courses that have been rolled and set up to make the greens hard and short. In that case, may need every single last RPM to get what they need. But for most better amateurs, who play courses that roll greens at 6-9 speed, and fight with too much spin instead of too little, the AVX is so clutch.

I love the chrome soft personally, but when I finally started playing the AVX, the switch was made. The chrome soft flew higher off my irons (which hurt me a tad), and spun significantly more on my long clubs (which pulled off a touch of distance).

And I never got along with the Chrome Soft X tbh... it spun too much everywhere except around the green. It was similar to the newer ProV1x in that way for me. It should be my ball based on swing speed (112-117) and handicap (about 10), but I score better with the chrome soft or AVX.

Let us know what your take. You are a much better handicap than I, and I am curious to see what your thoughts are.

L.A.B Link.1

Let us know!

The AVX has been polarizing on this site because it spins about 90% of the ProV1 around the greens.

It may be a bit softer than you like, but it launches a good 2* lower IMO, and is significantly longer if you are a high spin player.

As I said before, the Pro guys play courses that have been rolled and set up to make the greens hard and short. In that case, may need every single last RPM to get what they need. But for most better amateurs, who play courses that roll greens at 6-9 speed, and fight with too much spin instead of too little, the AVX is so clutch.

I love the chrome soft personally, but when I finally started playing the AVX, the switch was made. The chrome soft flew higher off my irons (which hurt me a tad), and spun significantly more on my long clubs (which pulled off a touch of distance).

And I never got along with the Chrome Soft X tbh... it spun too much everywhere except around the green. It was similar to the newer ProV1x in that way for me. It should be my ball based on swing speed (112-117) and handicap (about 10), but I score better with the chrome soft or AVX.

Let us know what your take. You are a much better handicap than I, and I am curious to see what your thoughts are.

I will for sure. And many thanks for your continued thoughts. As i said......and i won't bullxxxx.... i was hoping to use others experience to get me a head start. Silly not to; as it's a bit of a minefield out there. Especially not playing too much. I could spend 1/2 this year 'testing' if i wasn't careful !

In the past i have been a pretty decent golfer, still hold 3 or 4 course records and played at a good level. That's history though and i'm no more than a casual golfer now who can get it around. What that does mean though is that like many - i have pre-conceived trajectory windows that im comfortable / expect to see and ideas of what i expect in a ball. I would think - come summer and me playing in just a tee-shirt - our swing speeds are very similar. So your findings are of a great help to me :-)

I tried to get a few simple pics up of the balls......and had intended to post some up during 'testing' and then report back. But both Photobucket and Flickr that i used to use; both recently require monthly subscriptions. (Where do you guys use for free photo hosting these days ?)

Dark here in the UK at 4.20pm odd right now. Going to see if i can sneak away early one afternoon.....

FG tour not in my regular stockpile, too many good sales, too much other stuff to play.

But correct in that everything about it is kind of a comfortable medium. Except for feel, which I find a tad firm, which considering Wilson's recent years of offerings, is comparatively very hard.

I think they excel in driver distance and greenside control. I hit my longest drive ever with one, outlier of course, and found the greenside results consistent, which is saying something considering that my game isn't as consistent as the ball.

I mention it bc it gets overlooked, and presents a totally different option from the more popular choices.

Downside is they never cut price.

FG tour not in my regular stockpile, too many good sales, too much other stuff to play.

But correct in that everything about it is kind of a comfortable medium. Except for feel, which I find a tad firm, which considering Wilson's recent years of offerings, is comparatively very hard.

I think they excel in driver distance and greenside control. I hit my longest drive ever with one, outlier of course, and found the greenside results consistent, which is saying something considering that my game isn't as consistent as the ball.

I mention it bc it gets overlooked, and presents a totally different option from the more popular choices.

Thanks.

I had a look online to see if I could buy a sleeve. Not many sellers in the U.K, only dozens available and same (relatively high) price everywhere.

Shame at this point . As I’d be really interested to try one.......

Thanks.

I had a look online to see if I could buy a sleeve. Not many sellers in the U.K, only dozens available and same (relatively high) price everywhere.

Shame at this point . As I’d be really interested to try one.......

I still have a few sleeves left. Saving them for something, I don't know what.

Best price I've seen is on budget golf.

It all depends on how you weight price vs performance, etc.

I assume you want a “tour” type ball given your skill level, so that narrows it to urethane balls. Then it sounds like you don’t like them too soft, so that puts you in the x-version of all the urethane balls and eliminates chrome soft and maybe the AVX.

It also seems you like greenside spin, so that eliminates TP and CS/CSX to me. So looks like Titleist, Bridgestone and Srixon would have a ball that fits you well.

If you don’t mind paying top $ I think your choices are between those 3. If you don’t want to pay top dollar, then you could avoid Titleist and pick a preview year’s version of an x urethane ball.

Simple enough?

No-one has mentioned the Srixon Z-Star or the Z-Star XV.

No love or thoughts at all for either..............?

No-one has mentioned the Srixon Z-Star or the Z-Star XV.

No love or thoughts at all for either..............?

I did :) it’s a terrific ball!

Apologies. You did. I’m gonna buy a sleeve.

From a little reading I understand the latest model is just out......

I brought it up too...

The zstar does everything well, but isn’t the category leader in anything specifically... except maybe price.

Great balanced ball... I like it everytime I play it, but in the end it loses out to something that beats it in one aspect, while admittedly failing to it in another.

L.A.B Link.1