Will Phil play the champions tour next year?

KRAMER1997

I have had a healthy debate with some friends about the future of the CT. I don't see it continuing on with any real vigor because I think the "stars of today" will have made so much money on the "tour of today". The CT today is great because you have legit stars from yester year who are still good. I just don't see DJ, Rory, or Ricky playing CT golf in 20+ years, and hard to see much popularity for a tour headlined by the likes of Matt Pillar, Johnson Wagner, or Ricky Barnes [no disrespect to them, just random names]

it's the only tour he could ever be # 1 on...he will be there soon..if he enjoys winning

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

I dont believe he will. Phil is still way too good and competitive to go the leisure Tour route. I have always said and still believe you will not see Phil on that Tour and you will NEVER see Tiger.

Because both have too high a regard for the game and wouldn’t get involved in anything purely for the sake of printing money....

I dont believe he will. Phil is still way too good and competitive to go the leisure Tour route. I have always said and still believe you will not see Phil on that Tour and you will NEVER see Tiger.

Because both have too high a regard for the game and wouldn’t get involved in anything purely for the sake of printing money....

Beautiful use of sarcasm.

I have had a healthy debate with some friends about the future of the CT. I don't see it continuing on with any real vigor because I think the "stars of today" will have made so much money on the "tour of today". The CT today is great because you have legit stars from yester year who are still good. I just don't see DJ, Rory, or Ricky playing CT golf in 20+ years, and hard to see much popularity for a tour headlined by the likes of Matt Pillar, Johnson Wagner, or Ricky Barnes [no disrespect to them, just random names]

This is a really solid argument. There is just so much money to be made on the regular tour these days. As a result, some of the guys who end up having very successful careers will turn 50 and say "well that was a hell of a ride and I'm rich as hell. Time to go fishing and spend more time with the family."

But a generation ago (pre-Tiger era), guys who had very successful careers on the regular tour were turning 50 and saying "well that was a hell of a ride but I could use some more money. Where are the old guys teeing it up this week?"

A winning check on the Champions Tour is in the neighborhood of 300k, with some being closer to 250k. Example = at the Chubb Classic last year, Joe Durant took the trophy and pocketed $240k. Scott Verplank finished T-20 and took home $18,784. Now, I'm not turning my nose up at 18K for playing golf, but if you've been making Jordan Spieth money or Jason Day money for the last 25 years, you would have to just really love competing to grind it out at the Chubb Classic for 18k. (For perspective, Stewart Cink made 80k for a T-20 finish at the Sony Open last week).

Tiger no doubt changed the regular tour because of the way he inflated purses. And we may see that have a ripple effect on the Champions Tour in years to come.

Very true, yet Tom Watson isn't out there for the money, he loves playing and competing. Langer wasn't a Phil-like or Jack/Tom/Arnie like superstar, but he's sustained eyeballs out there. Hale Irwin cleaned up on the Champions Tour - great player, but wasn't a "OMG I have to get out and watch him" kind of guy. I guess Norman and Faldo, to a point, kind of prove the point that some of the greats aren't really looking to mix it up out there much.

It's subsidized, probably will continue to be. I think Phil will show up out there at some point (assuming he's healthy).

Edit: probably should say will need to be subsidized to a greater extent.

Very true, yet Tom Watson isn't out there for the money, he loves playing and competing. Langer wasn't a Phil-like or Jack/Tom/Arnie like superstar, but he's sustained eyeballs out there. Hale Irwin cleaned up on the Champions Tour - great player, but wasn't a "OMG I have to get out and watch him" kind of guy. I guess Norman and Faldo, to a point, kind of prove the point that some of the greats aren't really looking to mix it up out there much.

It's subsidized, probably will continue to be. I think Phil will show up out there at some point (assuming he's healthy).

Edit: probably should say will need to be subsidized to a greater extent.

Tom plays for the money.....................just ask his first wife, Linda Rubin. She is still reaping the rewards.

No, that's mine too, Tom.

Phil Mickelson turns 50 next year. Does he play the champions tour in 2020 where he could probably pick up a few wins or stick to the PGATOUR where he is still somewhat competitive (1 win and 6 top 10s)?

"Somewhat competitive (1 win, 6 top tens)"? What would you term "very competitive"? I would not be surprised to see Phil play the senior majors, make some appearances in tournaments where he has endorsements with the sponsors, but never a full schedule.

Phil Mickelson turns 50 next year. Does he play the champions tour in 2020 where he could probably pick up a few wins or stick to the PGATOUR where he is still somewhat competitive (1 win and 6 top 10s)?

"Somewhat competitive (1 win, 6 top tens)"? What would you term "very competitive"? I would not be surprised to see Phil play the senior majors, make some appearances in tournaments where he has endorsements with the sponsors, but never a full schedule.

I was referring to the fact that after the Wells Fargo last year he had 6 finishes outside of the top 40 including a DFL at the Tour Championship.

I was referring to the fact that after the Wells Fargo last year he had 6 finishes outside of the top 40 including a DFL at the Tour Championship.

He just fired a 60. Probably qualifies as somewhat competitive?

it's the only tour he could ever be # 1 on...he will be there soon..if he enjoys winning

Who knows, but I don't think Phil is dumb enough to think being number 1 on the Champions Tour or winning a Senior US Open makes his record better.

In contrast, Colin Montgomerie declared himself a "Major Champion" after taking a senior event :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .

Who knows, but I don't think Phil is dumb enough to think being number 1 on the Champions Tour or winning a Senior US Open makes his record better.

In contrast, Colin Montgomerie declared himself a "Major Champion" after taking a senior event :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .

I can’t take reading shots at my swing hero, Monty....

Plus he has a very dry humor and I reveled in that victory and his poking-fun-at-himself interview on golf central...

He interrupted chambkee or Lerner in a self deprecating manner to say “major champion Colin Montgomerie”

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

Why would anybody voluntarily take a huge pay cut on the course, plus, less recognition, less exposure, less endorsement money?

I focused on the money because it's quite obvious that the competition is better on the PGA Tour than the Champions Tour. The only reason in my eyes that he'd switch is if he wasn't competitive and the money was significantly better on the other tour. Neither one of those is true.

Feel free to twist it however you like, up to and including somehow thinking you know my opinion on the subject better than I do, apparently. Get a grip.

You have to cut Fergie some slack. Nothing peaks his interest more than a good conversation about Phil. :)

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Why would anybody voluntarily take a huge pay cut on the course, plus, less recognition, less exposure, less endorsement money?

Huge pay cut? You act like he's still winning. He makes his cash off the course.

Maybe going to the senior tour, pardon me - the champions tour will serve to tame the pride and lower the volume on the ego knob.

Did you get that on tape?

Huge pay cut? You act like he's still winning. He makes his cash off the course.

Maybe going to the senior tour, pardon me - the champions tour will serve to tame the pride and lower the volume on the ego knob.

He finished 21st last year on the money list and he won a tournament. An ego knob turned to 11 is standard kit for a professional golfer.

I bet he plays the US Senior Open, and maybe the Senior British Open. After that I doubt he worries about it. He can make more money and history playing the regular tour.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

He finished 21st last year on the money list and he won a tournament. An ego knob turned to 11 is standard kit for a professional golfer.

Big deal. A guy of his "supposed" caliber should be winning 3X per year and be in the top 12. He's a sinking ship.

LOL, in case you aren't up on current GolfWRX events...Ferguson has this huge irrational hatred towards Phil. You wont win the argument, he is dead set in believing Phil is the spawn of everything that is evil about society today. Ferguson is a marvelous poster otherwise, and a great contributor to the board, but when it comes to Phil......

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Big deal. A guy of his "supposed" caliber should be winning 3X per year and be in the top 12. He's a sinking ship.

He won the Match of the Century! What more do you want?

He won the Match of the Century! What more do you want?

I mean he did shoot a 60 yesterday...it was just Thursday no guarantees he will win but I honestly think in this day and age the Senior tour should start at 55.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

LOL, in case you aren't up on current GolfWRX events...Ferguson has this huge irrational hatred towards Phil. You wont win the argument, he is dead set in believing Phil is the spawn of everything that is evil about society today. Ferguson is a marvelous poster otherwise, and a great contributor to the board, but when it comes to Phil......

I've been around here long enough to have a certain fondness for the Ferg, but I still like winding him up on Phil related topics. Especially when I know I have the best of it.

And Ferg, he's not a sinking ship, he's nearly 50 years old playing against 20 year old's. That's an important distinction.

Re: He won the Match of the Century! What more do you want?

What really happened with Bones?

How much money was Phil given to "appear" at the graduation?

What happened with the insider trading?

When does his brother appear in court for the golf cart incident?

Can he really cook a grilled cheese?

Re: He won the Match of the Century! What more do you want?

What really happened with Bones?

How much money was Phil given to "appear" at the graduation?

What happened with the insider trading?

When does his brother appear in court for the golf cart incident?

Can he really cook a grilled cheese?

Bones got tired of chimping around a golf bag and took a definite step up in his professional golf-related career.

Phil choose his family. A simple decision that wouldn't have even been news if it weren't for our "anythings a major story" click-bait world.

Phil made a stupid and careless investment, acknowledged his mistake and then atoned for it. He was then clung to like a life preserver by a sad depraved b@st@rd squarely in the pinch.

Golf cart incident?

You watched Phil just like I did back in the early 2000's - he can cook the hell out of a grilled cheese. He also knew how to aim his vehicle at an In-n-Out Burger.

I see your excuses and raise you a "golf cart incident" - your move.

https://www.golfdige...lf-cart-lawsuit

Excuses? I would call them explanations

So she decided to stand on the back of a golf cart. You're not supposed to do that. Tim was merely a passenger as well; it sounds like he could also sue this Harbour guy if he wanted to.

If I received press for every mistake I've made while drunk and in a golf cart, well, I'd have a lot more press.