CPO stinks, and I'm not very bright

brew4eagle

If you really want "Like New" then you should probably just buy new.

Huh? If you want new, you buy new. If you want (and buy) "like new" you should receive like new. It's pretty simple really, but CPO has a tough time figuring it out. Regardless, I've learned my lesson (finally) and will not waste my time again dealing with this inept company.

I agree with most of what you said. Like new shouldn't have scratches all over, or a worn grip. If they can't deliver that condition (which they haven't for me in a very long time), then they shouldn't have it listed.

I'm not done with CPO though. I like getting wedges from them when they're on sale. They get beat up eventually anyways, so I don't care if they don't look like new as long as the grooves are in good shape. I also may take a flyer if I find a good deal. But, generally speaking their prices aren't the lowest around and they seem to fluctuate a lot. Almost seems like they go up right before one of their sales. Besides, if I buy from most reputable eBay sellers I'll see pics of the actual club and get a better price.

I'm just saying that it is really hard to achieve "Like New" condition in a used club - which is what CPO is purportedly selling. From my perspective, "Like New" is the sucker bet. I'm happy going with "Average" and being pleasantly surprised most of the time.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really want "Like New" then you should probably just buy new.

Huh? If you want new, you buy new. If you want (and buy) "like new" you should receive like new. It's pretty simple really, but CPO has a tough time figuring it out. Regardless, I've learned my lesson (finally) and will not waste my time again dealing with this inept company.

I agree with most of what you said. Like new shouldn't have scratches all over, or a worn grip. If they can't deliver that condition (which they haven't for me in a very long time), then they shouldn't have it listed.

I'm not done with CPO though. I like getting wedges from them when they're on sale. They get beat up eventually anyways, so I don't care if they don't look like new as long as the grooves are in good shape. I also may take a flyer if I find a good deal. But, generally speaking their prices aren't the lowest around and they seem to fluctuate a lot. Almost seems like they go up right before one of their sales. Besides, if I buy from most reputable eBay sellers I'll see pics of the actual club and get a better price.

I'm just saying that it is really hard to achieve "Like New" condition in a used club - which is what CPO is purportedly selling. From my perspective, "Like New" is the sucker bet. I'm happy going with "Average" and being pleasantly surprised most of the time.

Like new should be reserved for returned/excess inventory. If they can't gaurantee that condition, they shouldn't offer it. It can't be the customers fault for expecting a club described to be hard to differentiate from new. In my experience, all of the woods I've ordered from them have had scratches on the crown. Even at their second highest rating of be disappointed in that. I kind of wonder if it's a handling issue with their warehouse staff more than anything.

A lot of people have had great luck with them.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

And I truly don’t understand why they can’t create a separate category for refurbished. Like I said, a few years back I bought a “like new” set of irons. Obviously, without seeing pictures of the exact clubs I was buying, I didn’t have anything else to go on other than that they were described as “like new.” Now, in fairness, when you look at the category descriptions, “like new” does include refurbished.

Anyway, the clubs arrived and they had clearly been refurbished. Yes, they had new grips, but they had the stock Callaway generic grip (which is not great), as opposed to the standard grip that came stock with the clubs. Also, while the clubs had been polished and the bottom groove on the faces had been paint filled, you could see the clubs had a bit of bag chatter and also the paint fill in some cases came outside of the grooves. Lastly, the shaft bands were starting to peel away from the shafts. Some people might be okay with all of this, but I’m sorry, that’s not like new. When I called to return the clubs, they did send me a return shipping label to send them back, but the rep made a comment like “well, what did you expect when you were buying a club that hasn’t been made for a few years.” I mean, give me a break. When I buy like new, I expect like new, and if a club was once new, played, and then refurbished, why not just disclose that particularly where you’re not providing actual pictures of the clubs for sale.

However, all of this being said, I do think that CPO is a great site and a great company to do business with. I just think they should have a separate category for refurbished and not include it within “like new.”

I would have no problems with CPO doing away with the "Like New" category - or becoming a hell of a lot more discerning with their use of that designation. The discount on those clubs generally isn't that steep compared to retail, and if I'm paying that kind of coin, I would completely expect a flawless club in return.

If CPO isn't providing that, then that's clearly a problem. I just feel like people are constantly expecting to find a unicorn. Doesn't happen everyday.

Beyond that, I completely agree with the point that Refurbished clubs should be listed as Refurbished. I would much rather have a straight up used club than a refurb. At least with used, you can be reasonably assured that if there is any damage, you know it. With refurbs it's always a mystery - plus they are charging a premium price, apparently. Not cool.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

So I haven't ordered from CPO in quite a long time, but have been wanting a Toulon Memphis for a while and they were always over $250 in like new condition. Happened to be be browsing ebay last week and found one like new for $144! It arrived today and its in good shape overall. I don't know if I'd personally consider it like new (every single one of my other orders in the past always came wrapped in plastic if like new) as there are some visible and feelable nicks on the leading edge and a few marks from laying against other clubs. The grip is in terrible shape and this was obviously a demo club somewhere. But it did come with the matching head cover when it wasn't supposed to. If I spent the prices before I stumbled on this deal I think I'd be a little pissed but under $150 I'm pleased.

Now the overall quality of Toulon (my first) vs my Scotty's, Bettinardi, or even Nike Origin leaves a lot to be desired and is kinda a let down IMO but that's another discussion.

Cobra F9 TL 10.5 Atmos Black 7x
Cobra F8+ 3/4 &/or 5/6 Tour Blue 85x
Cobra F8 2H Element EarthX &/or Cobra F9 4H PX6.5
Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0
Ping Stealth 2.0 50/54/58 LZ 6.0

Some form of a Scotty, Betti, Spider

I bought a toulon Atlanta in like new condition. Got it today and it looks brand new except for a ding on the top line. Thoughts?

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Ping G430 17 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Revenge 7

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Titleist T200 5-U KBS Tour
RTX 6 Zipcore 55 and 60 KBS Tour
Bettinardi BB-1W

I went ahead and messaged them on eBay to see I could get one in the condition described. The more I thought about it the more I realized if I said nothing, regardless of price paid, this would continue to be the norm.

Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0

Dings or chatter = not like new

Nobody’s expectations are too high, if it was a driver in the plastic with a gouge in the paint would you consider that like new ?

Agreed. My Newport has been in my bag over 2 years now and has 0 dings. I wouldn't sell it as 'like new' and it's in better shape than these examples.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I went ahead and messaged them on eBay to see I could get one in the condition described. The more I thought about it the more I realized if I said nothing, regardless of price paid, this would continue to be the norm.

Didn't realize that you were referring to their eBay store.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

It shouldn't matter whether its their eBay store or their main store. LIKE NEW means like new in my book. If they want to blow out stuff on ebay cheaper than their website then they need to get their descriptions more accurate.

So ebay store said call them....to discuss upgrading?, partial refund, or return.

Called them....No offer to upgrade, whatever that means, no option to select from the other ones on the normal store, and no chance for a new grip. I could hear the gentlemen eyeing through his inventory and kept mumbling "lets see $144....$144.....$144....No we dont have any more in-stock". They have no more like new Memphis putters @$144 but they have plenty @$237 on the website. Bottom line the vibe I got was hey we sold it to you for cheap we aren't going to tap the regular inventory to make up for it.

Best option on the table was an $18 refund for downgrading from "like new" to "very good" or return it. Every single order I've ever had from CPO, majority on ebay, came exactly as described. This one did not and I can either send it back or slap a new grip on it and enjoy it for $126. Does it leave a sour taste and will I be hesitant in the future, of course, but I'll take the partial refund and move on with it.

Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0

It shouldn't matter whether its their eBay store or their main store. LIKE NEW means like new in my book. If they want to blow out stuff on ebay cheaper than their website then they need to get their descriptions more accurate.

So ebay store said call them....to discuss upgrading?, partial refund, or return.

Called them....No offer to upgrade, whatever that means, no option to select from the other ones on the normal store, and no chance for a new grip. I could hear the gentlemen eyeing through his inventory and kept mumbling "lets see $144....$144.....$144....No we dont have any more in-stock". They have no more like new Memphis putters @$144 but they have plenty @$237 on the website. Bottom line the vibe I got was hey we sold it to you for cheap we aren't going to tap the regular inventory to make up for it.

Best option on the table was an $18 refund for downgrading from "like new" to "very good" or return it. Every single order I've ever had from CPO, majority on ebay, came exactly as described. This one did not and I can either send it back or slap a new grip on it and enjoy it for $126. Does it leave a sour taste and will I be hesitant in the future, of course, but I'll take the partial refund and move on with it.

I wasn't inferring that you should live with it. I just wasn't aware that it was their eBay store. I thought you had just found a better deal elsewhere.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I have had good and bad with them. I still don't trust them...but then again...most big used club sellers have done the same. I think most are too high ..had better luck at global.

I still don't get high putter prices in general. To each his own though.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Nothing but good things to say about CPO. When I received a driver that I felt was not described accurately, they sent me a replacement in no time and paid for return shipping.

Sorry about your negative experience.

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Yamaha RMX 220 17* 5 Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids - 21* and 24*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

The worst thing about CPO is the stickers they use on the clubs. I swear they're cemented on. I hate having to spend a bunch of time with Goo Gone, and when that fails, a heat gun, right after receiving a new golf club. Their stickers are exponentially worse than any other company I've dealt with.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

I just bought an Apex hybrid in Like New condition with scratches all over the sole. Not going to see it in the address position so its not a big deal but regardless this was not Like New in my opinion. There CS is top notch though and they will make it right if you decide to go that route.

Update- CPO did send a prepaid return label after I sent multiple emails. They received the returned putter on Fri 1/11. I'm probably a couple weeks out from receiving a refund based on others' experiences. Hopefully it will be a full refund and I won't have to contact them to request a refund of the original shipping as well. Will update when I do get the refund.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I’ve bought a lot from CPO over the years and have had only one complaint. It was responded to and corrected very quickly. The prices are always very good, even on “outlet” ranked clubs. There’s also not the EBay risk of getting a counterfeit or unexpectedly poor condition club. It also helps that I generally like Cally clubs.

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

I’ve bought a lot from CPO over the years and have had only one complaint. It was responded to and corrected very quickly. The prices are always very good, even on “outlet” ranked clubs. There’s also not the EBay risk of getting a counterfeit or unexpectedly poor condition club. It also helps that I generally like Cally clubs.

CPO sells on Ebay. At times the prices on their Ebay store are better than what's on their web site.

• 2 weeks later...

Update- 2.5 weeks since CPO received my return I received notification of my return being accepted and that my refund will post in a few days. However, I'll now have to reach back for a refund of the shipping charges. It's like pulling teeth. Terrible customer service.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I'm 1 for 2 on CPO purchases. Just picked up a "Like New" Ping G400 LST. I agree with all aspects of condition except the omission of a missing weight insert. Come On!

Wow, so bad

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I ordered a Titleist driver and 3 wood with trade in. The driver was a very good condition and 3 wood was rated as an average condition. I was satisfied with the driver but 3 wood had a big scratch on it. I returned it with my trade-ins. It took CP more than a month and a half to process, which is somewhat surprising. I did another trade-in to RBG and it took only one day after arrival. I will probably take my business somewhere else.

My bag:

Titleist 917D3 w/ Tour AD BB S
Titleist 917 13.5
Miura 202 3-p NS pro S Pured
Mirua Wedge 53 and 58
Scotty Cameron 2.6/California

Heh, not sure how this happened. I ordered an Aldila Rogue Max 85 stiff driver shaft. My package arrived today with a Recoil ladies flex shaft instead. At least it was a driver shaft!

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Bettinardi BB-1W

I struck out in my first time trying CPO. Bought 2 "Very Good" putters - one of them had big gash on the top of the head and they acknowledge it was not very good condition and they send me another one that had a slightly smaller gash on it; I'm on my third attempt with that putter; the other one, I got a decent one, which was "very good". I ordered a wedge, and it was as stated: "very good". They stand behind the product, but you have to be willing to wait for the items to ship - wish they could get it right the first time. Jealous of those that were getting "better than stated" condition. I think I'm going to stick to Ebay or WRX - at least I see the putter I'm getting. Was hoping these comments around "better than condition stated" would have been true.

I struck out in my first time trying CPO.

CPO has slipped. Any of us here with our "eyes open" know that. That said, I still buy from them. They're still a solid company. Even if just anecdotal, the number of mistakes and condition errors has clearly gotten worse. And the number of returns, re-ships, etc. that they keep needing to pay for, likely keeps prices higher in the long-run.

It is what it is. If they have something I want, at a price I am willing to pay, I continue to buy from them. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

Heh, not sure how this happened. I ordered an Aldila Rogue Max 85 stiff driver shaft. My package arrived today with a Recoil ladies flex shaft instead. At least it was a driver shaft!

As an update to this, they no longer had the Max 85 shaft in stock, but they had the Max 75, so they're sending that one out today. The only bummer is that it appears they're just sending it standard ground shipping, which means I won't get the replacement until next week. For the hassle of now having to return the wrong shaft that I was shipped, I kinda thought maybe they'd expedite the replacement shipping.

Meh. Still, overall I've had good experiences with CPO and have no real complaints. Of the maybe 7-8 things I've purchased from them in the past year, all but one or maybe two exceeded my expectations. And the other two were only slightly annoying because my expectations were probably too high.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Bettinardi BB-1W