Things to do while waiting for Bandon

Edaw68

Potentially a short sleeve waterproof or wind proof, or another layering/wind jacket. I’ve already got solid waterproofs in a Galvin Green top and ProQuip bottomsthat have held up in torrential downpours for me, but our selection is poor in Milwaukee and I always enjoy getting to try stuff on before buying if I can. Seemed like Oregon would have a store or two that would cater well to selection of poor weather gear...

Definitely Fiddlers. You're looking for golf-specific gear, and it won't be found at Dick's or REI. There is a GG (formerly GolfSmith) at Cascade Station near the airport, and they may have something for full retail. It's close enough that it may be worth a stop, depending on your time constraints and traffic outlook. Chances are good you'll want to be hitting I205 and getting away from Portland as quickly as possible. Stopping at GG would add a good half hour or so.

Fiddlers will have a much better selection and much better prices. Plus there's a driving range and a little par 3 course there if it isn't too soggy.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Also, here's a quick question for the Bandon vets...I understand that the weather is highly variable, so should I have my waterproofs packed every day, even if the morning forecast looks perfect? It's not like they're heavy, so I was simply planning on packing them regardless, but wanted to see if that was being overly cautious.

Look at the caddies in groups before yours. If all of them are wearing the white jumpsuit then you can probably leave the waterproofs behind. If they have waterproof gear on, bring yours.

Love it! This is a fantastic locals weather top tip!

Like at Lahinch when they say if the sheep start coming in, best to follow them.

Fantastically simple tip, gonna have to keep that in the back of my mind next week. That being said, I'll probably play most days in a short sleeve waterproof/windshirt with my rain pants (amazingly comfortable PX5 stormforce from ProQuip, worth a try for those of you that haven't before) and my full length Galvin Green top in my bag (just in case).

On another note, is there a shop at Bandon that is considered a better place to find deals relative to the others? Or one with simply a far better selection? I figured they would each have their own character like the courses.

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

Lodge gift shop is the giftiest.

Bandon is the biggest pro shop, with the most stock by far. Then Pac and I'd say Old Mac and Trails are about the same.

And you are correct that each will emphasize their own course in regards to logo'd merch.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Also, here's a quick question for the Bandon vets...I understand that the weather is highly variable, so should I have my waterproofs packed every day, even if the morning forecast looks perfect? It's not like they're heavy, so I was simply planning on packing them regardless, but wanted to see if that was being overly cautious.

Look at the caddies in groups before yours. If all of them are wearing the white jumpsuit then you can probably leave the waterproofs behind. If they have waterproof gear on, bring yours.

Like at Lahinch when they say if the sheep start coming in, best to follow them.

Fantastically simple tip, gonna have to keep that in the back of my mind next week. That being said, I'll probably play most days in a short sleeve waterproof/windshirt with my rain pants (amazingly comfortable PX5 stormforce from ProQuip, worth a try for those of you that haven't before) and my full length Galvin Green top in my bag (just in case).

On another note, is there a shop at Bandon that is considered a better place to find deals relative to the others? Or one with simply a far better selection? I figured they would each have their own character like the courses.

Each course has it's own pro shop with it's own course logo on most stuff. They all have the usual pro shop gear (hats, towels, shirts, balls, raingear, headcovers, etc) from various manufacturers. Prices aren't gonna be a whole lot different across the resort. The pro shop at Bandon Dunes is the largest with the most gear. The ones at Trails, Pacific, and Old Mac are smaller. If you check the online store on the resort you can get a good idea of the type of merchandise available. The biggest decision is probably what course logo you want.

Duffer beat me to the enter button.

The main pro shop usually has a half off rack although I didn't see it on Monday when I looked around.

Inside the main lodge there is actually another small gift shop and it had some clothes for half off, but as you would expect colors, sizes, utility were suspect and various. I bought my second or third pink shirt from them. Evidently guys who play Bandon don't wear pink.

Their stuff is clearly going to mostly be full retail, but they have a great selection and it doubles as a souvenir. The whole place is owned by one man, so he's not undercutting his own margin shop to shop. To be honest I don't really even understand "golf specific" layering. If I were not going to buy something with a logo, or made by a golf brand that I really like, then I would just go to Dick's or REI and be done with it. Can't understand using my vacation time to drive around looking for a good deal on golf clothes!?! And, I stand by my statement that if that's the MO then go to RedTail - their store has a massive tent sale all day every day with tons of good golf stuff. Their normal prices are a decent cut off of retail on most stuff.

The main pro shop usually has a half off rack although I didn't see it on Monday when I looked around.

Inside the main lodge there is actually another small gift shop and it had some clothes for half off, but as you would expect colors, sizes, utility were suspect and various. I bought my second or third pink shirt from them. Evidently guys who play Bandon don't wear pink.

Their stuff is clearly going to mostly be full retail, but they have a great selection and it doubles as a souvenir. The whole place is owned by one man, so he's not undercutting his own margin shop to shop. To be honest I don't really even understand "golf specific" layering. If I were not going to buy something with a logo, or made by a golf brand that I really like, then I would just go to Dick's or REI and be done with it. Can't understand using my vacation time to drive around looking for a good deal on golf clothes!?! And, I stand by my statement that if that's the MO then go to RedTail - their store has a massive tent sale all day every day with tons of good golf stuff. Their normal prices are a decent cut off of retail on most stuff.

I wholly agree with you regarding shopping during a vacation if there is something to get to, but as a solo who's on his own schedule and wouldn't even be getting to Bandon until after Sunset based on my arrival time into PDX, I figured it was the perfect opportunity to take a detour and just go to a big golf store and do a little shopping and look at the newer gear. I love looking at new clubs, and I very rarely get the opportunity to do it when not on vacation. Who knows, maybe fate will deliver my the answer to my recent driving woes, at least for a week!

Byron Morgan 612
Snell MTB X

I had a chance to try the PX5 over compression/thermal pants Monday when it was raining. Worked so good that I don't think I will need to bring any pants to Bandon next month!

Also tried PX5 jacket but it got too warm. Switched to KJUS Dexter and it was awesome. So light you dont see like you are wearing it and it didnt restrict my swing at all. Will bring both with me but may not even touch the PX5 unless it gets really bad.

Fiddlers and Red Tail both have bays with launch monitors, so you could certainly hit some drivers.

Enjoy and safe travels!

Thanks!

Byron Morgan 612
Snell MTB X

I had a chance to try the PX5 over compression/thermal pants Monday when it was raining. Worked so good that I don't think I will need to bring any pants to Bandon next month!

Also tried PX5 jacket but it got too warm. Switched to KJUS Dexter and it was awesome. So light you dont see like you are wearing it and it didnt restrict my swing at all. Will bring both with me but may not even touch the PX5 unless it gets really bad.

If I plan on wearing the PX5 pants, thats the only way that I wear them. I can think of maybe two or three rounds where I wore them over something other than just compression pants and it was on a warm humid day that was just a chance of rain, so I had packed the pants. Interesting regarding the PX5 top, I wonder if that is improved with the PX6 version currently available.

Byron Morgan 612
Snell MTB X

^In the end they're still rain trousers though. It's not a huge thing, but it is always nicer - for me anyways - to be in a pair of Uniqlo heatechs or regular Bonobos Highlands to the Proquip when playing.

I actually bought some Mizuno Impermalite F20s to see if they were any more on the "normal" side of the rain trousers spectrum, but haven't wore them yet.

That said, if it saves you some luggage space, but at least bring one pair of regular trousers for those days of zero rain*

*This is not a guarantee you will get zero rain.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

^In the end they're still rain trousers though. It's not a huge thing, but it is always nicer - for me anyways - to be in a pair of Uniqlo heatechs or regular Bonobos Highlands to the Proquip when playing.

I actually bought some Mizuno Impermalite F20s to see if they were any more on the "normal" side of the rain trousers spectrum, but haven't wore them yet.

That said, if it saves you some luggage space, but at least bring one pair of regular trousers for those days of zero rain*

*This is not a guarantee you will get zero rain.

People have different theories, but I come over from having spent most of my adult life as a river and mountain guide and whole heartedly believe in layering. I only buy "summer weight" pants as I just wear base layer / tights under them. For rain pants I prefer something thin and packable that's very waterproof and typically don't buy "golf rain pants" but rather backpacking stuff made of Gore PacLite.

Some days when it's 100% chance of rain all day, I wear a pair of heavier ski pants because they're more comfortable and have normal hip pockets, they're warm and can be worn with just a very light under layer or heavier fleece lined tights if necessary.

Make sure you bring the cover for your bag, and remember it's just a 5 hour walk. Even if you get uncomfortable for a while it's over before you know it. The only real "extra" that I like although I won't take them to Scotland due to airport security is the real catalytic hand warmers you fill with white gas or some naphtha based fuel. I can deal with just about anything other than my hands being cold. Once my hands get numb playing golf seems like a poor way to spend time, I'll just bunt it around with a hybrid to keep from risking a stinger.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, my lastest 'while waiting' was playing the same music in the car and stopping at Dutch Bros, as if I was doing a Bandon drive, but was really driving from Texas to Cali.

I really cannot stop at a Dutch Bros without thinking of Bandon :taunt:

Edit: The landscape and size is kind of a give away that's in Phoenix and not Crescent City or Florence though.

F.T.

Love this thread, wanted to give it a little bump. Leaving for Bandon in 2 weeks!

Time to start the packing/repacking/unpacking/change packing dilemma.

Two weeks is the worst. Weather forecasts start becoming your daily prayer. And the lost work time while gazing at the course cams...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I will be there on Friday. Flying in to PDX on Thursday and driving down Friday morning. May stop and play Florence depending on weather. Forecast doesn’t look so good. Hopefully roads are ok for the drive down.

Tomorrow is prep day. Switching out bag, pack waterproof and warm gear, etc.

I’ll be wired all week at work for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a new one today. While booking hotel rooms for on the way to Bandon during the drive, freak out at the dates and think you've screwed up all your vacation plans when looking at the email from Bandon reservations. Then realize you're looking at next years trip that you've already booked, not the one in 3 weeks.

Also spend too much at the liquor store while looking for the perfect flask filler.

I didn't want to start a new thread just for one question:

Do the rooms in the Lodge have safes in them? I'm weighing up taking cash vs taking my $ on a pre-paid card.

Callaway Rogue w/ AD IZ 
Cobra F8 3w w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Orange
Callaway Rogue 5w w/ Oban Isawa Red
Titleist 818 H1 hybrid w/ Oban Isawa Red
Srixon z765 5-pw w/ Steelfiber
Vokey SM7 52F, 56F, 60K w/ Steelfiber
PXG Darkness Gunboat

I didn't want to start a new thread just for one question:

Do the rooms in the Lodge have safes in them? I'm weighing up taking cash vs taking my $ on a pre-paid card.

Now that you mention it I don't remember seeing any safes. I'd just call the resort and ask. (they should have someone answering the reservations line in about 5 hours, since I assume by your screen name you're a bit ahead of us time wise)

Thanks for the responses so far guys. I’ll give them a phone to confirm.

Callaway Rogue w/ AD IZ 
Cobra F8 3w w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Orange
Callaway Rogue 5w w/ Oban Isawa Red
Titleist 818 H1 hybrid w/ Oban Isawa Red
Srixon z765 5-pw w/ Steelfiber
Vokey SM7 52F, 56F, 60K w/ Steelfiber
PXG Darkness Gunboat

Found a new one today. While booking hotel rooms for on the way to Bandon during the drive, freak out at the dates and think you've screwed up all your vacation plans when looking at the email from Bandon reservations. Then realize you're looking at next years trip that you've already booked, not the one in 3 weeks.

Also spend too much at the liquor store while looking for the perfect flask filler.

Whoa you just reminded me I never booked a car for next week. Now I’m in a panic.