Bos polymer removal

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bushwood is correct. Most quality polymer finishes are extremely chemical resistant and it will take a form of media blasting to get them cleaned off.

I heard of a putter sitting in acetone overnight and having no damage to the polymer finish, at all. Once they are baked on, they can be very durable.

LaMont in AZ

Bushwood is correct. Most quality polymer finishes are extremely chemical resistant and it will take a form of media blasting to get them cleaned off.

I heard of a putter sitting in acetone overnight and having no damage to the polymer finish, at all. Once they are baked on, they can be very durable.

LaMont in AZ

I was hoping it would be easier but I do have a blasting cabinet so no problem. Thanks for chiming in Lamont, always good to hear from an expert. I called them yesterday and the girl on the phone had no Idea.

Try citrus strip gel, have used it a couple time to remove the white ghosted faze finishes a few were doing for a while.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

Isn't polymer just another name for powder coating? I have used citrus to strip powder coatings. And then blasted it to get it out of the hard to reach areas.

some form of a powder coating. citrus strip worked ok but the aircraft paint remover was better. It is a much harsher chemical as some paint with the chemical splattered on my arm and I could feel it instantly burn a little. Ultimately it was a combo of chemicals and my blasting cabinet that cleaned it up.

Isn't polymer just another name for powder coating? I have used citrus to strip powder coatings. And then blasted it to get it out of the hard to reach areas.

"Polymer" is a very broad term that many finishes fall under. I have been doing polymer finishes for about 15 years and not a single one of them was powdercoated on a putter head. IMHO, powdercoating goes on the surface too thick to ever use on the face of a putter. That is the reason that some of the vendors who offer it, mask off the faces to preserve the feel. There is at least one brand/type of polymer finish that has nearly zero effect on feel and that was what I chose to use, after several trials with other products.

Your question was very logical and I am sure that a lot of guys out there just assumed the same thing. The putter world is full of assumptions and legends that grow every time they are told, so there is absolutely nothing wrong with not knowing.

It is great to know that if the OP's finish was powdercoat, which it may well have been, a good chemical stripper will clean it off.

Thanks guys,

LaMont in AZ

"Polymer" is a very broad term that many finishes fall under. I have been doing polymer finishes for about 15 years and not a single one of them was powdercoated on a putter head. IMHO, powdercoating goes on the surface too thick to ever use on the face of a putter. That is the reason that some of the vendors who offer it, mask off the faces to preserve the feel. There is at least one brand/type of polymer finish that has nearly zero effect on feel and that was what I chose to use, after several trials with other products.

Your question was very logical and I am sure that a lot of guys out there just assumed the same thing. The putter world is full of assumptions and legends that grow every time they are told, so there is absolutely nothing wrong with not knowing.

It is great to know that if the OP's finish was powdercoat, which it may well have been, a good chemical stripper will clean it off.

Thanks guys,

LaMont in AZ

Lamont,

I would love to know what you use but I'm sure it is best if it is a secret. I opted to go another way with this finish due to the thickness of the previous.

I would think it was a powder coat or similar due to the thickness of it. The putter had an insert so It didn't matter if it was thick. I just wanted something that prevented rust and it did this well for 8ish years. I am going to now do a DLC Finish on the putter because that seems to be the best option in todays world.

Thanks guys,

LaMont in AZ

Powder coating can be applied in a thickness so as to not affect feel. You just have to know proper techniques on applying it.

I would also love to know the product you use.

Thanks guys,

LaMont in AZ

Powder coating can be applied in a thickness so as to not affect feel. You just have to know proper techniques on applying it.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. Until you can show me an example of a powdercoating that has been applied to a putter face and does not affect feel, I have to go by the multitude of examples I have seen that suggest otherwise.

Are you a powder coater yourself? If so, I look forward to seeing this work. For the masses, finding a service to do powder coating is as easy as a quick Google search. Something tells me that finding someone who uses this "proper technique" would not be as simple.

LaMont in AZ

I don’t know if Lamont has missed the question, or is choosing not to answer, but you can figure out the coating he uses by scanning his Instagram page. The product is used on firearms and is fabulous. Durable, attractive, and maintenance free. The head feels the same as it did before the application.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Nah, I saw the requests, but figured that a little effort to find the answer would make it that much sweeter, ;). Great product and the only polymer finish I have used for a very long time. There are others out there that are available, but when you find one that works, fits your needs and is very simple to create custom colors..........why change?

With the addition of the new Gun Candy product, it is a wild, new world.

DISCLAIMER: I am not doing refinish work, any longer. Gotta cover my bases and try to stay within the rules.

LaMont in AZ

Nah, I saw the requests, but figured that a little effort to find the answer would make it that much sweeter, ;). Great product and the only polymer finish I have used for a very long time. There are others out there that are available, but when you find one that works, fits your needs and is very simple to create custom colors..........why change?

With the addition of the new Gun Candy product, it is a wild, new world.

DISCLAIMER: I am not doing refinish work, any longer. Gotta cover my bases and try to stay within the rules.

LaMont in AZ

I hope I didn't overstep Lamont. So impressed with the new finish you are applying.

Hope all is well in AZ.

Mike

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Thanks guys,

LaMont in AZ

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. Until you can show me an example of a powdercoating that has been applied to a putter face and does not affect feel, I have to go by the multitude of examples I have seen that suggest otherwise.

Are you a powder coater yourself? If so, I look forward to seeing this work. For the masses, finding a service to do powder coating is as easy as a quick Google search. Something tells me that finding someone who uses this "proper technique" would not be as simple.

LaMont in AZ

The next time I am in AZ I will bring you a properly powder coated putter to try.

If you want to strip one of BOs’s putters and don’t have access to a blasting cabinet (I do but the following also works), talstrip aircraft coatin remover will remove it. It’s slower but it’ll eventually eat thru it. There’s other brands of aircraft coating remover out there. I haven’t tried them all but of the ones I’ve tried, bondo’s product works the best imho.

As far as polymer product, LaMont is the gold standard in polymer. He’s also an incredible dude and he steered me right in so many instances. If he’s talking polymer, he’s who to listen to. He was doing polymer, especially white, before white was cool. The inspiration he had at that time to do white from Stories that have been told by not only LaMont but by puttermakers all over out there and he wouldn’t accept a half hearted attempt at white. It was dig your feet in and find something that will not only look good but will hold up and last for the long haul. And it’s just one of the stories about him I’ve read. When LaMont talks polymers folks, pull up a seat and listen. He won’t steer you wrong. And the help he gives folks about them is priceless, from technique to product to application, he’s definitely a giver of information. Thanks bro for always being willing to talk putters, here or elsewhere.

Sorry, had to throw that out there, brought back a few memories of conversations we’ve had, like today. The muscle relaxers I’m also currently taking may have had something to do with storytime getting a little long. Hope y’all enjoyed it