WINN GRIPS

slicer365slicer365 Members Posts: 1,750
V-17
I'm looking for new grips, what are these like??? They look like they would make your hands slip right off of them??? So what's the verdict.

Comments

• abewleyabewley Members Posts: 3,174
    quite the opposite.. great grip with less pressure..

just alot diff. than normal grips..
  • slicer365slicer365 Members Posts: 1,750
    So would you recommend them???
  • crew_138crew_138 Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,337
    I would for sure, but to each his own. Great grips.
  • tariktarik Members Posts: 380
    Anyone try the Golf Pride "New Decade" grips?
    I have an hate them!!!
  • taylormadefantaylormadefan Members, ClubWRX Posts: 3,649
    tarik wrote on Apr 24 2006, 04:49 PM:

Anyone try the Golf Pride "New Decade" grips?

Grips are SO subjective, so take this FWIW.

The decade's are great when new, but there's a few reasons why I won't put them on my clubs.

1. They're expensive, really expensive. $7 if you're a bargain hunter.

2. They don't have enough cord in the upper hand and the rubber is really hard.

3. The red compound in the lower hand is great when it's new but in just a little time it gets VERY slick and is pretty much worthless.

I don't feel like regripping with $7 grips every 2 months.

I put Lamkin Tour Black Full cords on, and have had them for six months (play practice just about every day) and they're just like new. They're cheap for a cord grip at $4/grip. They've got TONS of cord which is great for humid Texas, they're very durable, and they look great.
  • littlepoisonlittlepoison Members Posts: 683
    slicer365 wrote on Apr 24 2006, 05:28 PM:

So would you recommend them???

I actually just regripped a with the V17 G* Blue compound very recently. The grip was a big suprise... my first impression upon seeing it was just like yours... until I held it. For me, it's a great grip. I'm sure that the softer compound with necessitate more frequent changes, but hey, that's the downside to swinging the sticks as much as I possibly can image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • abewleyabewley Members Posts: 3,174
    i like the winn grips..

like taylormadefan.. i put on the lamkin tour black cords on everything but the wedges and putter.. and think they are the best retail grips available..
    Do you have to swap grips out a lot with these or is it just relative to how much you play???
    Unfortunately, I think it's going to be a YMMV kind of situation... with the softer blue compound that I went with, I'm expecting to have to regrip about 1/2-2/3 way through the season... of couse, if I get new sticks in a few weeks as planned, I'll just have them gripped with the same G8's, and that should buy me a few extra weeks image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ok:' />

I would definately try as many of the Winns as possible with your usual glove. I made the decision based on those display grips that a chosen clubsmith of mine had on display, mounted on some cutoff shafts. THAT's what helped me make the choice. TMFan mentioned that he lived in TX... I live in MA, so humidity and extra sweat aren't USUALLY a problem for me... it may be different for where you live image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    We live practically in the same vacinity. Cord grips really aren't my deal. I had them replaced off my Titleist wedges and putter. How anybody can deal with those grips is beyond me.
    edited Apr 26, 2006 #13
    The last several grips I've had installed were all chord. I realized after this last change, that if I just wash the dang grips with warm water and soap, they're even tackier than any chord grip, without the wear and tear on both glove and hand image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I may or may not be relocating in the next year, based on the great job hunt, but if I end up somewhere warm, who knows... I may end up running back to chord grips...
  • dfungdfung Members Posts: 267
    littlepoison wrote on Apr 26 2006, 01:16 PM:

The last several grips I've had installed were all chord. I realized after this last change, that if I just wash the dang grips with warm water and soap, they're even tackier than any chord grip, without the wear and tear on both glove and hand image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

For what it's worth... It sounds like you're saying that you're using Winn grips now. According to the Winn website, they actually recommend that you *don't* wash the grips with soap and water.

I read this online right after I washed a Winn putter grip with warm water and soap! It didn't seem to have any negative effect (other than removing the dirt and bag marks from the other grips). Maybe this matters if you do it repeatedly though.
    Hmmmm... looks like I will have to visit Winn's website and follow their recommended cleaning methods... you might have just save a window in my living room... thanks! image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> image/crazy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ok:' />
  • dannybsjdannybsj Members Posts: 840
    Winn grips rock. I switched from them to some lamkin cords but recently went back and wow what a difference! I have the lamkins on my back up irons and the difference in feel is amazing. Lamkins feel like slippery rocks. I use regular soft winn grips in the tan color and they are great. I carry a can of super 77 spray glue in my bag and if it rains or im sweatin i spray em down and they are really really tacky with that stuff on there. Id get the winns and a can of super 77 and i dont think you will be dissapointed. I really dunno why anyone plays anything else besides these soft grips!