2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

SuperSpeed Golf training system

I just wanted to chime in to say I haven't done my SSG training in over a month and I haven't dropped back down to my old speeds prior to. I have lost a little speed but I think that once I resume training in the spring, I will gain it back very fast.

Just starting this training. How much chs have you gained in how much time?

It's tough to say how much was directly attributed to SSG, so I'll give you the full background.

February 2018 - Trackman measured my average CHS with driver to be about 102, with a max of 104.

September 2018 - Started SSG. Trackman had my averagr right around 104, I could max around 107.

November 2018 - GCQuad measured my average CHS with driver about 114, with a max of just under 118.

January 2019 - Trackman has me averaging around 106, with a max of about 108.

Keep in mind that GCquad is perhaps mildly more accurate indoors, but also over estimates CHS, while Trackman generally under estimates. So you can see it's very likely SSG gave me an average increase in speed of about 6-7mph with a maximum of maybe 12mph. Also, my maximum drive carry in November was about 305, whereas now it's gone back down to about 279-280. Some may be due to shaft (I'm not using the shaft I was fit into, which was a Raijin 64 or Accra Tour Z 465) being different, but I definitely lost a bit of pop. I think once I start again, I'll be back up to that 113-114 range.

Oddly though my ballspeed isn't that much down. At my Nov fitting my max speeds were in the upper 160s, and now my max is about 164 to 165. So... I've lost some, but I haven't totally degraded back to before I started. SSG works.

Thanks for going over that. I've seen some improvement just after a few sessions.

Last question. Did the increase in chs show up when going to the course without using the super speed sticks first?

I just wanted to chime in to say I haven't done my SSG training in over a month and I haven't dropped back down to my old speeds prior to. I have lost a little speed but I think that once I resume training in the spring, I will gain it back very fast.

Just starting this training. How much chs have you gained in how much time?

It's tough to say how much was directly attributed to SSG, so I'll give you the full background.

February 2018 - Trackman measured my average CHS with driver to be about 102, with a max of 104.

September 2018 - Started SSG. Trackman had my averagr right around 104, I could max around 107.

November 2018 - GCQuad measured my average CHS with driver about 114, with a max of just under 118.

January 2019 - Trackman has me averaging around 106, with a max of about 108.

Keep in mind that GCquad is perhaps mildly more accurate indoors, but also over estimates CHS, while Trackman generally under estimates. So you can see it's very likely SSG gave me an average increase in speed of about 6-7mph with a maximum of maybe 12mph. Also, my maximum drive carry in November was about 305, whereas now it's gone back down to about 279-280. Some may be due to shaft (I'm not using the shaft I was fit into, which was a Raijin 64 or Accra Tour Z 465) being different, but I definitely lost a bit of pop. I think once I start again, I'll be back up to that 113-114 range.

Oddly though my ballspeed isn't that much down. At my Nov fitting my max speeds were in the upper 160s, and now my max is about 164 to 165. So... I've lost some, but I haven't totally degraded back to before I started. SSG works.

Thanks for going over that. I've seen some improvement just after a few sessions.

Last question. Did the increase in chs show up when going to the course without using the super speed sticks first?

Yes, 100%. Before SSG my longest drives were probably around 285-290 without being down wind. After just 2-3 weeks I had multiple drives over 300 yards on not super windy days. You'll probably make a huge improvement within 2 weeks, then slowly improve over time. Basically a logarithmic learning curve.

logarithmic-growth-curve.jpg

Hi folks. I’ve been doing ssg for about a year. All of a sudden, my speed has declined over the last month but more so the last two weeks, particularly with the kneeling. I’m warming up, engaging core not doing anything differently than what I was. My average speed for all kneeling is down 7-10mph over the last four sessions than the sessions before. The other drills are down slightly but not as much, 3-4 mph on average. Ive continued to workout hard so I haven’t laxed off in that area. Any ideas????

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*) - Testing: Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist 915fd 13.5* @12.75* - Atmos Blue TS 8x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 818H1 21* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2, Toulon Garage San Diego, Odyssey #7 CH; Odyssey Tour Black #9

Hi folks. I’ve been doing ssg for about a year. All of a sudden, my speed has declined over the last month but more so the last two weeks, particularly with the kneeling. I’m warming up, engaging core not doing anything differently than what I was. My average speed for all kneeling is down 7-10mph over the last four sessions than the sessions before. The other drills are down slightly but not as much, 3-4 mph on average. Ive continued to workout hard so I haven’t laxed off in that area. Any ideas????

I'd take a week off, let the muscles recharge. I tend to do this every 2-3 months and it seems to help my speed

Hi folks. Ive been doing ssg for about a year. All of a sudden, my speed has declined over the last month but more so the last two weeks, particularly with the kneeling. Im warming up, engaging core not doing anything differently than what I was. My average speed for all kneeling is down 7-10mph over the last four sessions than the sessions before. The other drills are down slightly but not as much, 3-4 mph on average. Ive continued to workout hard so I havent laxed off in that area. Any ideas????

I'd take a week off, let the muscles recharge. I tend to do this every 2-3 months and it seems to help my speed

Maybe that’s a good idea. I also wonder if doing SSG after an intense workout of squats, deadlifts and shoulders the day before doesn’t help either.

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*) - Testing: Tensei 1K White 70TX

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2, Toulon Garage San Diego, Odyssey #7 CH; Odyssey Tour Black #9

Do you guys think the radar is necessary? How is the unit?

Just ordered my sticks today

I didn't use it but only because I already stretched myself a bit thin to buy them sticks. I think it's very useful to help push yourself and know that you're maxing on every single shot. Max effort doesn't always mean you're getting max speed.

Anyone give the long drive version a go over the standard model? In theory the longer shafts will have you getting use to even higher speeds but this could be a dumb idea

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

Your muscles are dead post work out and can't fire fast enough. I had that same issue. I try to do SSG on a cardio day or lighter intensity workout day. My biggest problem with SSG is that I work otut 6-7 days a week and I am always sore or muscles are dead. Both cause me to lose significant swing speed when swinging the sticks, which renders the whole SSG program almost useless to me (my personal specific case).

You really need to be well rested to swing with maximum speed. If you are tired, then you will lose 5%-10% and it is not as effective.

Take a week or two off doing SSG and that should help as well.

Your muscles are dead post work out and can't fire fast enough. I had that same issue. I try to do SSG on a cardio day or lighter intensity workout day. My biggest problem with SSG is that I work otut 6-7 days a week and I am always sore or muscles are dead. Both cause me to lose significant swing speed when swinging the sticks, which renders the whole SSG program almost useless to me (my personal specific case).

You really need to be well rested to swing with maximum speed. If you are tired, then you will lose 5%-10% and it is not as effective.

Take a week or two off doing SSG and that should help as well.

Thanks for the feedback. That is the one thing that is different, I’ve been going to the gym a lot doing a lot of Olympic type lifts at heavy weight for me as well as a lot of core. Maybe I’m just drained.

You have to do it on rest days or before a workout in my opinion. It is pretty i7intense, especially when you add the kneeling swings as well.

I've also noticed temperature has an effect on speed. When I do the training indoors in warmer temps, I am faster 100% of the time than outside in 20-30 degrees. I guess that's obvious, but still. It's significant. Like 10mph significant.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

You have to do it on rest days or before a workout in my opinion. It is pretty i7intense, especially when you add the kneeling swings as well.

I've also noticed temperature has an effect on speed. When I do the training indoors in warmer temps, I am faster 100% of the time than outside in 20-30 degrees. I guess that's obvious, but still. It's significant. Like 10mph significant.

I can back up what was said above. I play sim golf in my garage and it is not very well heated or insulated. I swing 7-10% slower roughly, and I can't do anything about it. I do turn on some heaters but they only get my garage up to 50 max, and that still doesn't cut it for me to swing comfortably and fast. I have to wail on balls for a good long time to get anywhere close to my normal speed range. It just takes too much continuous effort to warm up my muscles to the point where they are firing as fast as usual.

I think there was also an ad/sports science test for adidas with Jason day that claimed something like 10 mph loss in swing speed in cold weather for him.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Hi guys, just ordered a set and it should be on its way in a couple of days.

Was wondering, with the speed gains; I'm pretty sure you'd have to get yourselves fitted again for your clubs? Have you moved up a flex or did you maintain your clubs as is?

IMHO most people are either swinging and shaft to strong or to weak for them either way so it could workout for the too strong shafted people

But I think you would need 10+ ss gains that this could affect you, now it may feel whippier for a while

I can back up what was said above. I play sim golf in my garage and it is not very well heated or insulated. I swing 7-10% slower roughly, and I can't do anything about it. I do turn on some heaters but they only get my garage up to 50 max, and that still doesn't cut it for me to swing comfortably and fast. I have to wail on balls for a good long time to get anywhere close to my normal speed range. It just takes too much continuous effort to warm up my muscles to the point where they are firing as fast as usual.

I think there was also an ad/sports science test for adidas with Jason day that claimed something like 10 mph loss in swing speed in cold weather for him.

So true, and carries important ramifications as it relates to on-course distance as well. Most that I play with seem to over-weight in their minds the effect that cold heavy air has on the ball flight itself and significantly underweight the impact of the cold weather on their swing speeds. In my experience, once you are aware that most of the distance loss is actually an effect of internal factors (i.e. slower clubhead speed) effect as opposed to external ones, it's actually significantly easier to manage.

So as I've said before I do my own modified ssg. I don't have a SS radar and I don't have weighted sticks. I basically just swing driver as hard as I can at the end of each "range" session at home for 10-12 swings. I'll swing one handed and backwards (left handed) with out the ball, but I have no way to record those swings.

When I started 6-7 months ago my normal drive was 148 ball speed. I could hit 153-155 in my "fast" swings, and I'd get it up near 160 when the stars aligned (probably 1 out of 100 attempts to swing "fast"). Recently my normal drive is around 155-158 and my "fast" swings are 160+ on demand. All of my "fast" swings are typically 80 yards right of center, but hey I'm working on speed not accuracy when I do this.

I had a new personal best last week of 168mph ball speed (again 80 yards right), and today I finally squared the face up on one that was over 160mph.

So as I've said before, as long as you have something to track speed consistently you may not really need to do the SSG system. Just focusing on increasing speed consistently will result in benefits over time. Now you might get there quicker following SSG though.

Oh and since it's winter here I have the temp set to 45* on skytrak, so if you feel the distances are a little "off" given the other numbers that may have something to do with it.

I just saw on eBay there is a seller with just the shafts. I’ll have to go back and read what you DIY guys said about building a set with washers. Sorry, late to the game here.

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

Wanted to post this study here because I think it's relevant.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-01/f-mmd011719.php

TLDR; scientists have determined that "use it or lose it" isn't entirely true when it comes to "gains" in muscle growth. I think this is fairly relevant when it comes to SSG in that perhaps taking breaks in training is not detrimental at all (you shouldn't lose speed from it) and may in fact be helpful.

Now I understand SSG isn't aiming to gain us muscle, but I do think that it's a similar process as far as training our muscle and neuro. systems. I will be very interested come spring once I resume training to see what happens. I'm on my winter swing right now and my distance and speed has definitely dropped. Could be technique a little bit but I think it's lack of training.

Wanted to post this study here because I think it's relevant.

https://www.eurekale...f-mmd011719.php

TLDR; scientists have determined that "use it or lose it" isn't entirely true when it comes to "gains" in muscle growth. I think this is fairly relevant when it comes to SSG in that perhaps taking breaks in training is not detrimental at all (you shouldn't lose speed from it) and may in fact be helpful.

Now I understand SSG isn't aiming to gain us muscle, but I do think that it's a similar process as far as training our muscle and neuro. systems. I will be very interested come spring once I resume training to see what happens. I'm on my winter swing right now and my distance and speed has definitely dropped. Could be technique a little bit but I think it's lack of training.

Good post and of course what you wrote is true. Taking breaks is good for you especially if you are plateauing.

E.g. I remember reading a body building magazine a long time ago and this body builder tore his biceps and couldn't workout for 6 weeks. He said that when he got back to it, his muscles started growing like a beginner and far surpassed his previous gains. He would have been worse off had he not injured himself and worked out those 6 weeks instead.

As far as swing speed goes, you will definitely lose a lot of speed in colder temps. It could be as much as 10% as muscles don't move as fast.

For those who are healthy and in good shape. I would recommend doing SSG for 6-8 weeks and then take at least a week off. Then get back to it. That is much better than going 3x week for a whole year.

Dx1rHxOUwAApiYz.jpg

SuperSpeedGolf@SuperSpeedGolf 3h3 hours ago

Phil has come out this year averaging his fastest club head speed since 2009 at 122.37 mph. Last year he averaged 116.48. Speed can be gained as you age with the proper training protocols.

SuperSpeedGolf@SuperSpeedGolf Jan 20

Phil has been one of the most committed players to gaining speed the last few years.

SuperSpeedGolf@SuperSpeedGolf 23 Nov 2018

Phil getting ready for The Match warming up with his SuperSpeed set.

Dstsn7eU0AA1Qwf.jpg

If you follow SuperSpeed on social media, you know Phil has become a devout SuperSpeed user.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Figured I'd share my experience so far. I bought the sticks in November and used them for about a month WITHOUT the radar. Realized that was idiotic so I ordered the radar and took a break for a week or two. I started back up at the end of December. The results from my four weeks are below. Obviously some days were better or worse than others but I certainly saw increases in most of the numbers I was tracking. I didn't keep track of LH step swing speed but everything else is there. Time to start protocol two and see how that goes. Not looking forward to the kneeling swings but hopefully they keep the incremental gains coming.

SOx1sGs.jpg

Would it be a bad idea to do this 5 times a week instead of the recommended 3? I consider myself to be in pretty good shape and everything so I feel like I could easily handle doing it more, but I was wondering if this would have a negative effect on ss gains.

Probably yes. The body needs time to rest and recoup from intense training. That is how you get faster, stronger, better, etc... It's why you don't go to the gym and train biceps every day. Well maybe you do - but it is stupid and you burn out and actually lose strength as well as make yourself prone to injury. Plus - You make your gains in the rest phase of a workout. As in while you sleep and take a day off. SS Training is no different. Do something else like stretching, bands or weights on your off days.

Would it be a bad idea to do this 5 times a week instead of the recommended 3? I consider myself to be in pretty good shape and everything so I feel like I could easily handle doing it more, but I was wondering if this would have a negative effect on ss gains.

Everyone is different. Personally, I have seen great gains doing super speed twice a week along with all of my other normal activities. For me, I would go as far to say that once a week would be enough..... again, this is what appears to work best for ME.

I did SSG for about 3 weeks or so. Stopped doing it for 2 weeks, but did some orange whip compact swinging left and right as well as minimal shaft swinging.

In that 2 week period my SS went from 109mph to 110-111mph on trackman. Going back to SSG soon. Feel like it injured my shoulder and am very cautious not to aggravate.

I did SSG for about 3 weeks or so. Stopped doing it for 2 weeks, but did some orange whip compact swinging left and right as well as minimal shaft swinging.

In that 2 week period my SS went from 109mph to 110-111mph on trackman. Going back to SSG soon. Feel like it injured my shoulder and am very cautious not to aggravate.

Yep me too. I'm quite injury prone and hurt my shoulder doing SSG, rehabbed it and then tore rib cartilage and then sold my sticks. Definitely picked up speed while doing it.

Yep me too. I'm quite injury prone and hurt my shoulder doing SSG, rehabbed it and then tore rib cartilage and then sold my sticks. Definitely picked up speed while doing it.

:russian_roulette: