2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Callaway Epic Flash Review

aklimsza

Clearly, you tested the club with a poorly fitted shaft to you. No doubt the numbers would have been better had you tested a shaft that is designed for people with 115 mph club speed instead of the lightest shaft we make.

We? Are you with either Callaway or True Temper?

Callaway

Gotcha. Must be a cool company to work for.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

To anyone judging my use of shaft, I work at a tier 3 Dicks Sporting Goods, I do not get a lot of shaft options, I would use my own X-Stiff, but I use a taylormade. This review was only meant as some insight to the new claims callaway are making. Overall I've found this to not be as good as the Rogue or the Flash. This is my opinion, you are welcome to yours. When I can get 320 with a stiff flex on the rogue and average 303 with this, 12 yards cant be blamed on my lack of shaft choice.

After more testing, the flash sz launches a little higher than my rogue sz both with t1100. It spins about the same but has better toe misses above equator. Good driver terrible sound and colors.

I also dont understand making a sequel to the flash and ignoring rogue totally. Why would you skip releases as rogue is pretty dam good

I believe the new Rogue will be next years Driver. Callaway is going every other year with releases.

2020 will be the ball that changed the ball, that again will change the ball.

PS- I do love The CSX!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

The questions come from the information you gave us. All you stated was launch angle for both, and then spin for the flash. Need more info and all the variables.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

To anyone judging my use of shaft, I work at a tier 3 Dicks Sporting Goods, I do not get a lot of shaft options, I would use my own X-Stiff, but I use a taylormade. This review was only meant as some insight to the new claims callaway are making. Overall I've found this to not be as good as the Rogue or the Flash. This is my opinion, you are welcome to yours. When I can get 320 with a stiff flex on the rogue and average 303 with this, 12 yards cant be blamed on my lack of shaft choice.

Unless you're talking the T800 in the Rogue, I'm still talking these differences with a grain of salt. Even then, I'm curious what the different numbers are with the Rogue to make a 17 yard difference. Is it a lot of roll? Carry numbers are king. Assuming the spin and decent angle are realistic, roll is very hard to calculate.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Here are the number comparisons between Rogue and Epic Flash, both using Callaeay Chrome Soft X Golf Balls both drivers at 9* stiff shaft, and if I haven’t made this clear enough already, no X Stiff shaft available to me

There you go. Thanks for posting the numbers. More spin in the EF and less ball speed. I'm assuming the swing speed is a calculation off of the pre-set 1.45 smash factor. Using the evenflow blue in the Rogue? I still assume that the Evenflow green is probably a cheap noodle and could be effecting the difference. But, for all I know, you maybe using the same shaft.

Also, to get large of a difference in ball speed, I wouldn't be shocked to see that you weren't catching the middle of the face as often. Which, could be attributed to the shaft to some degree.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I have used the flash for 36 holes so far. I previously had the epic. I found it to be a little bit longer in distance however the real improvement I found was in mishits it was far more forgiving. Sound is a bit different to my old epic but for me the results is worth the upgrade

I definitely agree with you. I play the epic sz and the new flash sz is more forgiving than the previous epic. Especially on the toe which is where I usually mishit on the driver

Titleist TSR3 9º | VA Composite VYLYN 65

Stealth Plus 15º| Diamana ZF 70 
Stealth Plus 19º | Diamana ZF 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour | KBS Tour
Vokey SM9 50/54/58  | DG TI S400

Bettinardi | Queen Bee 6

TaylorMade TP5X

Here are the number comparisons between Rogue and Epic Flash, both using Callaeay Chrome Soft X Golf Balls both drivers at 9* stiff shaft, and if I haven’t made this clear enough already, no X Stiff shaft available to me

man if you got that attack angle positive you would easily be caring those drives 280+

Titleist TSR3 9º | VA Composite VYLYN 65

Stealth Plus 15º| Diamana ZF 70 
Stealth Plus 19º | Diamana ZF 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour | KBS Tour
Vokey SM9 50/54/58  | DG TI S400

Bettinardi | Queen Bee 6

TaylorMade TP5X

Thanks for clarifying what you actually tested. Your original post made it sound like the Rogue was your current driver, and that you had an X-stiff shaft that you use in that. I think that was what was confusing people.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I’m so disappointed! I wanted the EFS soooo bad. I love the shape and the way it sets up, but it just couldn’t keep up with the F9 or TS3 at all for me.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

And the color!!! Puuuke! When is Calloway going to pull their head out of their butt and get back to the simplicity of flat black.

The teal used in the Rouge could quite possibly be the worst color choice in the history of club manufacturing.

The uglier they make the stock colors on the club, the more likely they are to upsell customers into their custom paint job options.

And the color!!! Puuuke! When is Calloway going to pull their head out of their butt and get back to the simplicity of flat black.

The teal used in the Rouge could quite possibly be the worst color choice in the history of club manufacturing.

The uglier they make the stock colors on the club, the more likely they are to upsell customers into their custom paint job options.

I agree with you. If you love Callaway you will pay he extra c note for the u design.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5. @ 45.5”

Driver Shafts: Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX & MCA Kai’Li White 70X

Mizuno ST Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.5 @ 45.25”
ON ORDER: Mizuno ST Max 230 15.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Kai’Li Blue 70X

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 19.0 @ 17.0 UST Lin-Q Blue 75 F5

ON ORDER: Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S & 58/4X Nippon Modus Pro 120X

🤔 Titleist Vokey SM9 60 K Grind 

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

It always amazes me that the poster spelled rogue correctly but everyone else almost 50% of the time spells it “rouge”, including the person who put the shaft name into track man or whatever. Rouge is French for “red”, not a golf head or aldila’s golf shaft lol!

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5. @ 45.5”

Driver Shafts: Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX & MCA Kai’Li White 70X

Mizuno ST Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.5 @ 45.25”
ON ORDER: Mizuno ST Max 230 15.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Kai’Li Blue 70X

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 19.0 @ 17.0 UST Lin-Q Blue 75 F5

ON ORDER: Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S & 58/4X Nippon Modus Pro 120X

🤔 Titleist Vokey SM9 60 K Grind 

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I was at Golf Galaxy earlier today and compared the Rouge to the Epic Flash. I have a 105 swingspeed and tried a T800 senior flex. I found both Rouge and EF to have a higher loft and spin rate than my current Epic with stiff flex and was hitting 25 yards less. Weird.

Wait, you normally use stiff flex in your epic but decided to use senior flex to test rogue and flash and can’t belivee you launched higher and spin more than your epic? Really?

I was at Golf Galaxy earlier today and compared the Rouge to the Epic Flash. I have a 105 swingspeed and tried a T800 senior flex. I found both Rouge and EF to have a higher loft and spin rate than my current Epic with stiff flex and was hitting 25 yards less. Weird.

Wait, you normally use stiff flex in your epic but decided to use senior flex to test rogue and flash and can't belivee you launched higher and spin more than your epic? Really?

Was being sarcastic :)

Wait, you normally use stiff flex in your epic but decided to use senior flex to test rogue and flash and can't belivee you launched higher and spin more than your epic? Really?

Gotcha. Hard to read that in print. ??

Wait...you aren’t supposed to use a weaker stiffness vs your norm/swing speed when posting a review? Mind is blown!!!

Is there a reason you didn't try the Flash with the shaft from your Rogue? Seems like that would be the best way to do a good comparison between the two heads. The variable of a shaft that isn't a good fit for you in flex (and maybe profile -- I don't think you mentioned what you're currently using) seems like it would explain a lot of the differences you mentioned, especially the higher launch. It's entirely possible that even if you did an apples to apples test like that, you wouldn't see major differences compared to your Rogue, but it seems like those results would be a more informative comparison.

This sums up my thoughts as well. I appreciate him coming in to share his thoughts. I just don't like coming to a conclusion that it isn't as good when there is a big variable like that at play.

I'll chime in on this point as I went today to compare a few drivers to my gamer for the past 2 years - the 2015 GBB in 9* with a Speeder Evo II 569 stiff. I was fit into this driver a few years ago and have done 2 driver fittings since, both of which yielded no improvements worthy of purchasing a new driver despite my failed attempts anyway...

I also have a Rogue 9* head that I use with the same shaft. I hit both the G400 Max 9* (also with a Evo II 569 stiff - I have one with a Ping tip) and the Epic Flash 9* with both the EF green 55 stiff and my Evo II.

Average numbers after 15-20 balls:

GBB Evo II -

ball speed - 142.14

launch - 14.1

spin - 1943.4

carry - 246.2

total - 266.4

G400 Max -

Epic Flash with Evo II -

Epic Flash with EF Green 55 -

The Flash with the EF 55 was "fun" to hit, more with that shaft than my own. It gave me the feeling of wanting to hit the ball hard, but the numbers don't bear out that I actually did that. Dispersion was similar with all of them. I'm sure there's a level of comfort/familiarity with my driver that I simply can't replicate in 1 session of hitting something new, but it's clear (at least to me) that I'm not going to gain much dropping money on a new driver.

I don't think the same shaft between model years is a valid comparison.

The head changes and you need to be fit to a new driver and shaft.

I looked at the G400 Max comparo you had and shook my head - get another shaft that fits and that spin gets down to 2k or so and you get something.

So, I can't go with your comparo - it's flawed.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Got the Epic Flash Driver Demo at work and I’ve had a chance to hit a few with it, overall with all of the new tech they’re pushing with it, I am not impressed. I didn’t see any big differences with my clubhead speed, ball speed, or carry/total. Only difference I can see from the Rogue is an increase of launch angle. With a 9* head I was launching on average of 11.5*. With an average clubhead speed of 115 that’s about a degree and a half higher than what I’d like to see. Spin numbers were OK right around the 2k mark, but I was only averaging 305 total with my highest being 313. If I had an X stiff shaft instead of just stiff I might’ve seen some difference but overall it’s not as good of a driver compared to the Rogue. In my opinion of course

With a swing speed of 115 you can't give a honest review of the Flash. Need something that fits that swing speed.

Is there a reason you didn't try the Flash with the shaft from your Rogue? Seems like that would be the best way to do a good comparison between the two heads. The variable of a shaft that isn't a good fit for you in flex (and maybe profile -- I don't think you mentioned what you're currently using) seems like it would explain a lot of the differences you mentioned, especially the higher launch. It's entirely possible that even if you did an apples to apples test like that, you wouldn't see major differences compared to your Rogue, but it seems like those results would be a more informative comparison.

This sums up my thoughts as well. I appreciate him coming in to share his thoughts. I just don't like coming to a conclusion that it isn't as good when there is a big variable like that at play.

I'll chime in on this point as I went today to compare a few drivers to my gamer for the past 2 years - the 2015 GBB in 9* with a Speeder Evo II 569 stiff. I was fit into this driver a few years ago and have done 2 driver fittings since, both of which yielded no improvements worthy of purchasing a new driver despite my failed attempts anyway...

I also have a Rogue 9* head that I use with the same shaft. I hit both the G400 Max 9* (also with a Evo II 569 stiff - I have one with a Ping tip) and the Epic Flash 9* with both the EF green 55 stiff and my Evo II.

GBB Evo II -

ball speed - 142.14

launch - 14.1

spin - 1943.4

carry - 246.2

total - 266.4

G400 Max -

Epic Flash with Evo II -

The Flash with the EF 55 was "fun" to hit, more with that shaft than my own. It gave me the feeling of wanting to hit the ball hard, but the numbers don't bear out that I actually did that. Dispersion was similar with all of them. I'm sure there's a level of comfort/familiarity with my driver that I simply can't replicate in 1 session of hitting something new, but it's clear (at least to me) that I'm not going to gain much dropping money on a new driver.

I looked at the G400 Max comparo you had and shook my head - get another shaft that fits and that spin gets down to 2k or so and you get something.

Comparing heads with the same shaft is a valid comparison of those driver heads if you're looking to compare the characteristics of the heads. It's not the same as doing a full-on driver fitting, but it's a good starting point for determining if a new head is going to perform any differently than another one. Sure, you may find that the numbers aren't perfect with that shaft, and that can lead you down the road of trying different shafts to try to dial in performance, but if what you're trying to do is compare heads, doing it with the same shaft that you know is a good fit for you is the best way to start.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

GBB Evo II -

ball speed - 142.14

launch - 14.1

spin - 1943.4

carry - 246.2

total - 266.4

G400 Max -

Epic Flash with Evo II -

just curious what your average swing speed in that comparison? thanks

You will never see much difference going from one model to the next years model unless the manufacturer has really gone in a different direction and that rarely happens. I think 5 year gaps you might be able to see differences of some significance. Everything else is smoke and mirrors and equals a yard here or there.

This is what I find with drivers, at least. If I get fitted for a driver in Year 1, it's about Year 5 before I see a driver that does much more than tie my Y1 driver for performance.

Also take into account what life stage you are in. Physical changes can influence how well a Head + Shaft combo works.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

GBB Evo II -

ball speed - 142.14

launch - 14.1

spin - 1943.4

carry - 246.2

total - 266.4

G400 Max -

Epic Flash with Evo II -

Comparing heads with the same shaft is a valid comparison of those driver heads if you're looking to compare the characteristics of the heads. It's not the same as doing a full-on driver fitting, but it's a good starting point for determining if a new head is going to perform any differently than another one. Sure, you may find that the numbers aren't perfect with that shaft, and that can lead you down the road of trying different shafts to try to dial in performance, but if what you're trying to do is compare heads, doing it with the same shaft that you know is a good fit for you is the best way to start.

I think if you're evaluating a driver, you've got to be fit to it - not down the road with a shaft. I'm familiar with the Ping G400 head and Max - and it's apparent that it was a poor fit with the shaft and or loft.

I've found not to find an answer in easy answers - they don't exist.

But c'est la vie. I think the comparo means nothing. I've been fit by a PGA Professional over several sessions - people that fit on the PGA Tour (lucky to know him) just finding the right loft/shaft combo in the G400 took 2 hrs. Find loft, find shaft, find center contact, find swingweight, find shaft length, find lie, find least amount of dispersion, etc.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions