Best Rain gear

chbrake

Hey Chris, how are the foot joy tour pants? I'm guessing nowhere near as good as some of the other stuff out there?

How does the proquip compare from a weight perspective? I really like wearing the footjoys over sweat pants or long Johns in cold weather but could use some lighter pants for summer rain when I'll actually play. 40* and raining is stay home type of weather.

My answer won't be too popular here, and I'm sure there will be a chorus of the usual internet exaggeration, but I sell the stuff and use the stuff and watch customers use of it...I have zero issues with the "waterproofness" of FootJoy's current membrane-containing rain gear...that would be the Hydrolite, Tour LTS, and their top of the line DryJoys Select line. I've used and owned pieces of the various current lines since introduction, and I regularly talk to the reps and other FootJoy personnel about the technical development of the gear, particularly the newest line, the Tour LTS. It's all as waterproof as any other membrane containing gear out there in my experience, and has been since all the gear has had membrane-tech added to it.

You'll see/hear a lot of (even though FJ is, I think, still the number 1 golf rain gear sold in the US) internet people saying "it's leaks as soon as you wear it" type things, or it only lasts a season, but in my experience with it, that goes back to the days that a lot of things sold as FJ "raingear" was in fact just treated with DWR (spray on water repellant) on the exterior, with no membrane on the interior. All the actual rain gear now has a membrane and sealed seams and is advertised as "100% waterproof". I've seen zero waterproofing/water entry issues since that has occurred.

I've said it before, but often times, with any membrane-tech rain gear, when wearers think they are getting wet inside from rain, it's actually the garment "wetting out", or becoming wet on the outside (the exterior fabric). If this happens, your water vapor (perspiration) cannot move through the garment, and condensates on the inside, forming water/sweat droplets, and soaks you. The exterior of any membrane containing raingear HAS to maintain it's water beading ability, and not let the exterior become soaked, or they ALL will have this happen (well...there's an exception or two like Columbia's OutDry, but..). I will say that I have noticed that MAYBE FootJoy's DWR isn't the best, so if anyone has had issues with FJ membrane waterproofs, it MIGHT be this. But DWR can be refreshed and renewed.

But, back to your specific question, my favorite/most comfortable rain pants are in fact my ProQuip PX5s, and that's out of a few different styles of Galvin Green GoreTex pants, my Under Armour GoreTexes, and my Kuhl JetStreams (close 2nd). They breathe well enough that I can wear them over pants in the winter as an additional wind proof layer when outside (work really well for this, too). They are light, and very quiet, and don't sweat me out during the summer either...but keep in mind that I'm a VERY cold natured person, and literally have goose bumps on my skin if the temperature is under 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit.

FJ pants are good too, as long as they are a model of the "100% waterproof" era that I mentioned above. My personal reasons for not choosing to use/wear FJ stuff more than I do now (I'll wear it in a pinch if I have it around) is the cut and fit of most USA based FJ items. They are a bit heavier than other brands, with the exception of HydroLite, and are cut sooooo loose and baggy. It doesn't work for me, especially in the jackets. I'm a 47-48 inch chest with a 33-34 inch waist...if I buy it large enough to fit my shoulders and chest, I can hide a hula hoop under the material at the waist. Just a very blocky cut with little taper. I need a much more fitted cut to use for golf.

Chris- you pointed me in a pretty good direction with ping apparel. The zero gravity top i have is pretty much great and light.

Any experience with the zero gravity pants? Slim fitting or baggy? better/worse than pro quip?

Hey Chris, how are the foot joy tour pants? I'm guessing nowhere near as good as some of the other stuff out there?

How does the proquip compare from a weight perspective? I really like wearing the footjoys over sweat pants or long Johns in cold weather but could use some lighter pants for summer rain when I'll actually play. 40* and raining is stay home type of weather.

My answer won't be too popular here, and I'm sure there will be a chorus of the usual internet exaggeration, but I sell the stuff and use the stuff and watch customers use of it...I have zero issues with the "waterproofness" of FootJoy's current membrane-containing rain gear...that would be the Hydrolite, Tour LTS, and their top of the line DryJoys Select line. I've used and owned pieces of the various current lines since introduction, and I regularly talk to the reps and other FootJoy personnel about the technical development of the gear, particularly the newest line, the Tour LTS. It's all as waterproof as any other membrane containing gear out there in my experience, and has been since all the gear has had membrane-tech added to it.

You'll see/hear a lot of (even though FJ is, I think, still the number 1 golf rain gear sold in the US) internet people saying "it's leaks as soon as you wear it" type things, or it only lasts a season, but in my experience with it, that goes back to the days that a lot of things sold as FJ "raingear" was in fact just treated with DWR (spray on water repellant) on the exterior, with no membrane on the interior. All the actual rain gear now has a membrane and sealed seams and is advertised as "100% waterproof". I've seen zero waterproofing/water entry issues since that has occurred.

I've said it before, but often times, with any membrane-tech rain gear, when wearers think they are getting wet inside from rain, it's actually the garment "wetting out", or becoming wet on the outside (the exterior fabric). If this happens, your water vapor (perspiration) cannot move through the garment, and condensates on the inside, forming water/sweat droplets, and soaks you. The exterior of any membrane containing raingear HAS to maintain it's water beading ability, and not let the exterior become soaked, or they ALL will have this happen (well...there's an exception or two like Columbia's OutDry, but..). I will say that I have noticed that MAYBE FootJoy's DWR isn't the best, so if anyone has had issues with FJ membrane waterproofs, it MIGHT be this. But DWR can be refreshed and renewed.

But, back to your specific question, my favorite/most comfortable rain pants are in fact my ProQuip PX5s, and that's out of a few different styles of Galvin Green GoreTex pants, my Under Armour GoreTexes, and my Kuhl JetStreams (close 2nd). They breathe well enough that I can wear them over pants in the winter as an additional wind proof layer when outside (work really well for this, too). They are light, and very quiet, and don't sweat me out during the summer either...but keep in mind that I'm a VERY cold natured person, and literally have goose bumps on my skin if the temperature is under 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit.

FJ pants are good too, as long as they are a model of the "100% waterproof" era that I mentioned above. My personal reasons for not choosing to use/wear FJ stuff more than I do now (I'll wear it in a pinch if I have it around) is the cut and fit of most USA based FJ items. They are a bit heavier than other brands, with the exception of HydroLite, and are cut sooooo loose and baggy. It doesn't work for me, especially in the jackets. I'm a 47-48 inch chest with a 33-34 inch waist...if I buy it large enough to fit my shoulders and chest, I can hide a hula hoop under the material at the waist. Just a very blocky cut with little taper. I need a much more fitted cut to use for golf.

Chris- you pointed me in a pretty good direction with ping apparel. The zero gravity top i have is pretty much great and light.

Any experience with the zero gravity pants? Slim fitting or baggy? better/worse than pro quip?

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Zero Gravity pants. I do need to get a pair just to try out, but I'm always forgetting, and am happy with my PX5s, and it's not as if I don't have 20 other pair of rain pants laying around. As much as I do like the Zero Gravity tops I have (I need to get this year's half zip pullover), I should definitely try the pants.

I really appreciate the info posted on this thread.

If possible, can anyone provide some fitting advice for ProQuip? Going to use the GolfSupport site so returns will be a hassle from the US. I’m buying a pair of ProQuip PX6 trousers and a jacket. 44-45 inch chest and a little tubby so I figure on XL. Might be a little loose but that’s probably better than too tight.

Primary question is fit of the trousers. I have a 38 inch waist and probably need the extra large. I’m 5’11’. I have a 32 inch inseam. Normally I would go with the 33 inch but I’ve seen on other threads that the trousers fit a little long. Would a 31 inch end up being too short and drain water on my socks (in addition to looking stupid)?

Thanks.

Have you considered the Mizuno Impermalite F20 pants? They are leg-length adjustable, a Large would be perfect for your dimensions. They’re very quiet, very comfortable and fully waterproof. And cheap at the moment.

ProQuip PX6 fit update. I ordered the jacket and pants 1 week ago from Golfsupport.com. Both items arrived today. Great looking raingear. Fit worked out well. The jacket has plenty of room to layer but is not bulky. The sleeve length is perfect. I wear a 36-37" sleeve in a dress shirt. I ordered the jacket in XL and the pants large / 33" length. I'm 6'2" and about 210. I'm an XL in most every jacket and golf shirt. I wear a 36x34 in most pants. Waterproof test will be next.

I don't know...making a clothing manufacturer choose to either only use GoreTex waterproofing membranes, or not allowing them to use GoreTex at all if they want to make other models with non-GoreTex membranes seems pretty strong arm to me. Basically forcing Gore exclusivity with a manufacturer. I've heard this for years in the industry before this article was even written. Telling companies that you either use only Gore, or you get no Gore at all. It's that type of stuff that has gotten Gore investigated.

Whether a company wants to make additional waterproof gear with non-Gore products shouldn't be something Gore tries to actively control in my opinion. Gore still has all the power and influence established by their extensive licensing agreement to control the quality and reputation of Gore technology apparel made by any clothing label. Why do they need to try to force those labels to use only Gore products?

Umm I don't know if I'm understanding your concept of Gore exclusivity. I'd cite Salomon & some other outdoor brands that used different moisture wicking and weather resistant fabrics including gore-tex. Maybe this is different with golf rain gear but highly doubtful.

I don't know...making a clothing manufacturer choose to either only use GoreTex waterproofing membranes, or not allowing them to use GoreTex at all if they want to make other models with non-GoreTex membranes seems pretty strong arm to me. Basically forcing Gore exclusivity with a manufacturer. I've heard this for years in the industry before this article was even written. Telling companies that you either use only Gore, or you get no Gore at all. It's that type of stuff that has gotten Gore investigated.

Whether a company wants to make additional waterproof gear with non-Gore products shouldn't be something Gore tries to actively control in my opinion. Gore still has all the power and influence established by their extensive licensing agreement to control the quality and reputation of Gore technology apparel made by any clothing label. Why do they need to try to force those labels to use only Gore products?

Umm I don't know if I'm understanding your concept of Gore exclusivity. I'd cite Salomon & some other outdoor brands that used different moisture wicking and weather resistant fabrics including gore-tex. Maybe this is different with golf rain gear but highly doubtful.

That statement doesn’t ring true to me. I personally have rain gear from Sunice and Zero Restriction - Goretex and non-Goretex models in both brands.

That statement doesn't ring true to me. I personally have rain gear from Sunice and Zero Restriction - Goretex and non-Goretex models in both brands.

It seems as if it's not as prevalent anymore since the lawsuits and complaints against them for unfair business practices and antitrust violations have come about (USA and other regions), but read some of the industry reports I've linked to in almost all of these raingear threads. They have done it several times in the past...pull a manufacturer's GoreTex license when they introduced apparel with competing waterproofing tech. It does seem like they have dramatically eased off this practice since the investigation and formal FTC complaints a few years ago.

Chris975d, really appreciate all your insight. Great name by the way. The greatest driver ever made deserves to live on forever. I live in north Florida and was wondering if the PX6 is a good option for our warmer climate or if you have any advice for a better option. I've got a jacket and trousers waiting in checkout on golfsupport.com and just need a good excuse to pull the trigger. Thanks again.

Chris975d, really appreciate all your insight. Great name by the way. The greatest driver ever made deserves to live on forever. I live in north Florida and was wondering if the PX6 is a good option for our warmer climate or if you have any advice for a better option. I've got a jacket and trousers waiting in checkout on golfsupport.com and just need a good excuse to pull the trigger. Thanks again.

Thanks! I've had this username across various forums/online since I bought the 975d new when it came out. A LONG time ago.

For the money, I can't recommend anything better than the PX6 for most golfers. Hell, I can't honestly recommend anything that would dramatically outperform the PX6 at twice the price you'll pay on golfsupport, unless you just really don't like the look of the PX6. Just NEVER buy ProQuip from their own USA website. It's outrageously priced there.

Thanks! I've had this username across various forums/online since I bought the 975d new when it came out. A LONG time ago.

For the money, I can't recommend anything better than the PX6 for most golfers. Hell, I can't honestly recommend anything that would dramatically outperform the PX6 at twice the price you'll pay on golfsupport, unless you just really don't like the look of the PX6. Just NEVER buy ProQuip from their own USA website. It's outrageously priced there.

Yep. My 975d will always have a spot in my nostalgia bag. Thanks again for the advice.

• 5 weeks later...

From the Proquip website, its not obvious to me the differences between the PX5 and PX6 jackets. Thought you might have more insight since you've probably seen and perhaps worn each of them. Thanks.

Scott

From the Proquip website, its not obvious to me the differences between the PX5 and PX6 jackets. Thought you might have more insight since you've probably seen and perhaps worn each of them. Thanks.

Scott

To be honest, I'm not sure of the exact differences, as I don't own anything PX6, just PX5. But from what I've heard, the fit is the same between the two models.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking into the ProQuip PX6 pants. I wear 32x32 in pants. Do you recommend the 31 or 33 inseam? I don't want them too long but I also don't want them too short. I'm glad I went to the forum as the prices on golfsupport.com are way cheaper than anything I've found online.

Too long and you can get them shortened for $5-$10.

Looking into the ProQuip PX6 pants. I wear 32x32 in pants. Do you recommend the 31 or 33 inseam? I don't want them too long but I also don't want them too short. I'm glad I went to the forum as the prices on golfsupport.com are way cheaper than anything I've found online.

i would say the inseam measurements are quite accurate to maybe a touch long. e.g.

i take 32 inch inseam for old navy / gap golf style pants and went for a 31 inseam.

they are a hair longer than i would want them to be, but i'm a bit obsessive with pants length so for most people they would be fine.

Too long and you can get them shortened for $5-$10.

there is a zip opening at leg bottom and a button fastener so i'd say they would be tricky to get tailored.

I have a couple quick questions for PX5/PX6 trouser owners out there:

1. If I'm right on the cusp between Small and Medium in waist, which way is it better to err? How much give is there in the waist, and alternatively, is there any mechanism for tightening the waist at all?

2. Are the pockets pass-through pockets or not? Zipped? Covered/hooded?

3. Are the pants lined? It says mesh, but is that a distinct separate layer or is the "mesh" part of the material in the exterior/only layer?

4. What is the temperature range for these without wearing tights/sweats/etc. underneath? I know it's subjective but I can't tell if these are designed for a midsummer Florida downpour or a cold, blustery spring/fall rain?

For a high end set of rain gear, it is astonishing how little detail is available anywhere on the internet about this product (no close-up pics, no breakdown of details, very few reviews of any substance, etc.). Anyways, thanks in advance for any help on this.

1. Medium

2. Not pass thru. Front zippered. Rear covered and velcro tabbed

3. Separate layer

4. Limited experience, lightest I have ever owned. Worn twice in Fla, once as tear offs over shorts on cool morning and once over 2 Under only. Comfortable both times.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

1. Medium

2. Not pass thru. Front zippered. Rear covered and velcro tabbed

3. Separate layer

4. Limited experience, lightest I have ever owned. Worn twice in Fla, once as tear offs over shorts on cool morning and once over 2 Under only. Comfortable both times.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate your insight.

chris975dwhat have you heard about the new FJ Hydroknit? I saw one for the first time today. Has a much softer and stretchier feel than the Hydrolite and isnt as heavy as the DryJoys LTS. Didnt know if you had seen it or been able to test it out yet.

I have not seen it yet. It's new for this year, and I should see it in the next month or so. I hear it's a great product with a good weight to it. I think it's the same waterproofing tech that's in the LTS, which is good. I think the DryJoys Select line has been reworked too. I hear it's insanely light now...like the jacket is lighter than a standard polo shirt. I'm really interested to see it too. I may grab one of each and do some usability testing on them.

I have a couple quick questions for PX5/PX6 trouser owners out there:

1. If I'm right on the cusp between Small and Medium in waist, which way is it better to err? How much give is there in the waist, and alternatively, is there any mechanism for tightening the waist at all?

2. Are the pockets pass-through pockets or not? Zipped? Covered/hooded?

3. Are the pants lined? It says mesh, but is that a distinct separate layer or is the "mesh" part of the material in the exterior/only layer?

4. What is the temperature range for these without wearing tights/sweats/etc. underneath? I know it's subjective but I can't tell if these are designed for a midsummer Florida downpour or a cold, blustery spring/fall rain?

For a high end set of rain gear, it is astonishing how little detail is available anywhere on the internet about this product (no close-up pics, no breakdown of details, very few reviews of any substance, etc.). Anyways, thanks in advance for any help on this.

I’ll second OW’s responses. The jacket/pant combo is my favorite from a feel and style perspective that I’ve owned.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

chris975d—what have you heard about the new FJ Hydroknit? I saw one for the first time today. Has a much softer and stretchier feel than the Hydrolite and isn’t as heavy as the DryJoys LTS. Didn’t know if you had seen it or been able to test it out yet.

I have not seen it yet. It's new for this year, and I should see it in the next month or so. I hear it's a great product with a good weight to it. I think it's the same waterproofing tech that's in the LTS, which is good. I think the DryJoys Select line has been reworked too. I hear it's insanely light now...like the jacket is lighter than a standard polo shirt. I'm really interested to see it too. I may grab one of each and do some usability testing on them.

I got to see samples from their spring product line and the Hydroknit was the most intriguing thing I saw (no samples of the new Select jackets, though). Trimmer cut through the body than the Hydrolite and the feel of it was pretty great. If it keeps water out the way they say it will it’ll be a hit.