2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

M3 & M4 after 1 year. Conclusions

hackalot

Curious after a year of being out what people's thoughts are on their experience with twist face. Sold on it? Gave up on it? About the same as non twist face?

I bought a M3 early last year and had some mixed results. Had some uncommon misses for me and wondered how much was from twist face. Got rid of it for money and mixed results and went back to Fly-Z+. Didn't have any of the unusual misses and finished season. Like a true Ho, I find myself wondering if didn't give M3 a long enough run and so thought I'd see what others have experienced and if they still have twist face or have moved on. Thanks for giving experiences.

Ping G410+ 9° with tour shaft
Titleist TSR3 19 hybrid

Ping S55 3-pw x100
Vokey 52/56/60
Scotty Newport 2

I love my M4, paired with my usual Oban shaft.

I have no idea if I get anything from Twistface or not. I can for sure still carve it into places that you should be nowhere near - but overall I am very happy with it and won't be changing this next season as it stands.

The M3 for me gives me too many choices, not a good thing for me - the less the better; jus thee it up and hit it :)

I've had M3 for nearly a year.....tried 5-7 shafts settling on S+ Ltd 60 regular.....had some absolute bombs with it .....like the sound; love the shape....

I hit the newer stuff from 18 and some retro stuff from as far back as 2007.....just overall consistency and confidence is high with this club....added is the twist face effect....I'm a toe miss player and I get nothing but great results from that position on the face ...

I'll hit the 2019 stuff but actual gains are going to be hard especially at these prices!

Watching Crossfield's review on M3 made me wonder about his "I worry about being able to keep it on the planet" comment. I know I've read that some had said they found weird ball flights and dumped it while others say they believe it helps and love it.

Ping G410+ 9° with tour shaft
Titleist TSR3 19 hybrid

Ping S55 3-pw x100
Vokey 52/56/60
Scotty Newport 2

M4 is a forgiving driver for me. But I will check out the M5/6 to see if I can gain any distance.

Those that eschew Twist face like Crossfield have limited understanding of physics.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Only had mine six months but we still play through the winter here. For me, it’s the best driver I’ve ever had but I did get fit for my M3.

Twist face is not a huge game changer, if i push or pull it the ball cant be saved. I have found there’s always one or two drives a round though that I’ve hit and expected them to be in the rough, but when I’ve gotten to the ball it’s just in the fairway. Doesn’t sound like much but at our place being just in the rough can be so penal on some holes.

Titleist TSR2 10 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Hzrdus smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Titleist Pro V1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

I actually bought an M3 9.5 played it with weights forward for the most part. Hated it and sold it. Tried out some other drivers nothing I loved

Decided to buy an 8.5 M3 Head, lofted down with the weights all the way back and I have loved it ever since. Really seemed to unlock the potential of the head.

Funny as I normally use 10.5* but during fitting I tried the 9.5* head.....perfect match!

I was one of those golfers that tended to tinker a lot with the driver. I've had about every brand and shaft combination that supposedly fit my swing. However, by happen-stance, I gave the M4 a run with the stock Atmos Red and hit nothing but straight bombs. I am not just keeping it in or near the fairway, but as long as I've been with any other combination I've played; it's staying put this year. I'm now going to give the M4 fairway a run with the same shaft.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

M4 went into the bag in Jan, 2018 and had not left it since. No driver fixes a big pull or push but my toe hook mostly stays in play. I’ll hit everything I can at demo days but it’s going to take something “wow” to push the m4 out of my bag.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I’ll say this just by the absence of them on the BST lefty forum they must be out of this world. I been looking for one for months and they very very come up for sale which tells me a lot. I’ve been a long time 16 M2 player and really want to see if anything is bettter for me. Going to be able to hit a lh M6 tomorrow and I’ll gauge it against my M2.

Cobra LTD X LS 9.0 Fuji Atmos Black 6S

Cobra King LTD 14.5 Rogue Black 70S

Callaway Big Bertha II 5 wood RCH Firm

Taylormade 3 iron UDI Kuro Kage Black

Mizuno 921HM 5-GW 950GH Neo

Mizuno 923HM SW 

Mizuno 900HM Lw KBS C Taper Lite S

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Two

I’ll say this just by the absence of them on the BST lefty forum they must be out of this world. I been looking for one for months and they very very come up for sale which tells me a lot. I’ve been a long time 16 M2 player and really want to see if anything is bettter for me. Going to be able to hit a lh M6 tomorrow and I’ll gauge it against my M2.

give us a recap on how that goes.

Started the year with a M3 440 & Ended the year with a M4.......

I find the M4 is much easier to hit consistently and the head shape is very nice considering it's a 440 head....frames the ball much smaller than the 17 M2

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

Tried M3 & M4 indoors Trackman start of the season, was not sold since my miss felt like it got worse with TFace..

Didn't like the open face and hard feel off the M3, liked the sound off the M4 and the looks. Also the price was off putting, so didn't give them a second try. Didn't see anyone gaming M3/M4 all summer long at my club. One of the issues was there was no demo heads in the retail stores to take out to the golf course to see the performance, so couldn't test the drivers IRL..

But I did see the success TM was having all over the world at the tours (btw. M4 won on the PGA tour last time 16h ago) and come fall time, the prices started to fall and decided to pull a trigger on a M4 D-Type 10,5 since I found one 60% off on the asking price. Put my gamer shaft in it and was blown away by the feel and the the performance, felt like I could really give it the beans and the flight was amazing, ball wanted to go high and straight. Went to a launch monitor and saw I was actually gaming too much loft so come Demo club sale time, pulled a trigger in a 9,5 head and it goes like stink. So if I would have pulled the trigger on it start of the season, there is no telling how much I would have gained over the season on my driving. Will demo M5/M6 start of the season and get a proper fitting, not gonna miss out on a great driver another season even though it's going to cost a s*** ton. Already tested them and the new heads felt even better, look better and the ball speed story was there for me also.

Conclusion, M4 was in the end probably the best driver of 2018.

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

Watching Crossfield's review on M3 made me wonder about his "I worry about being able to keep it on the planet" comment. I know I've read that some had said they found weird ball flights and dumped it while others say they believe it helps and love it.

Crossfield is paid by Titleist. I would not consider him credible.

• Like 1

M4 is a forgiving driver for me. But I will check out the M5/6 to see if I can gain any distance.

Those that eschew Twist face like Crossfield have limited understanding of physics.

Crossfield has a limited understanding about golf. I tired of his videos long ago.

Epic Max LS 9* Ventus Black 6s / Cobra Radspeed 9* Tensei 1K 6x

Epic Flash 15* / Tour AD TP 7x and DI 7x

Sim Max 19* / DI 8x

Srixon Zx7 4-P

Ping Glide Stealth 52 (bent to 51)

SM6 - 56/10 (bent to 55/9)

Tour Issue LB Hi Toe 60*

Spider Plumber's Neck

TP5

had the M3 in the bag for about a year.... I'm really happy with it. I'm not sure I buy into all the twist face stuff but I do buy that its a solid driver. It will be a tough one to unseat from my bag. I came from the Epic SZ before this and while the Epic was long I struggled to play golf with it. I could hit some wild tee shots with it from time to time, I don't seem to have those issues with the M3.

Decent heads but I’m personally waiting for the M19/20 heads to be launched sometime soon.

TSi3 9° - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX  

TSi2 13.5° - Tensei Pro White 80TX 

TSi2 18° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

718 TMB 3 - Tensei Pro White 100TX

T100 4-GW - MMT 125TX

SM8 54° & 58° - MMT 125TX

Odyssey Big-T Blade                                                  

ProV1X                                                                  

• 3 weeks later...

Played 17 M2 for a season and half, tried rogue subzero half way but switched back to M2, then recently replaced m2 with a tour issue m4 (much cheaper than a new driver head), same shaft (pro orange), can confirm that my toe misses are fairly straight with the M4. My heel misses are very rare so cannot say too much on that. Theres not much difference in centre hit. M4 overall probably spins slightly less than M2, but it could be the difference btn a tour issue head and a retail one.

The twist face definitely straighten up the misses

I love my M4, paired with my usual Oban shaft.

I have no idea if I get anything from Twistface or not. I can for sure still carve it into places that you should be nowhere near - but overall I am very happy with it and won't be changing this next season as it stands.

The M3 for me gives me too many choices, not a good thing for me - the less the better; jus thee it up and hit it :)

Just leave it in neutral and forget it. Nobody making you tinker with it. ?

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Never thought I’d kick my m3 out of the bag. Then gained 11yds with my 8.5 ts3

Why do think that is? Higher ball speed? Lower spin? Can you provide any data?

Here’s my thoughts... 10+ yards just changing clubs means that you weren’t properly fit before. Drivers are all too close in performance nowadays.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

16m2 to m4 to 400lst

The Ping is idiot proof w the purple or green Oban

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard Ion 63x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Crossfield gave that review right after Taylormade cut him off. I have the M3 and I haven't looked at another driver since. It's long and straight for me. My miss is that open face push to the right that Crossfield and others referenced and I haven't noticed anything crazy at all. In fact, I've worked hard to get rid of my sway and that miss has been gone for months now.

I was very impressed with the length and forgiveness with the M3. However, after the carbon fiber on the bottom cracked on my THIRD head, I decided that I needed to go a different direction. I got a TS3 and, while I've been impressed with the accuracy, I've lost about 10 yards compared to the M3.

Taylormade SIM 8* - Matrix OZIK MFS Black Tie 70X
Taylormade M5 15* - Aldila Black Mamba 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.3X
Taylormade P790 4-PW - Project X 7.0
Taylormade Hi Toe 52* and 58* - KBS $-Taper 125 S+ Black
Taylormade Ardmore 2 35" Super Stroke Claw 1.0