2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Starting the down swing, which leg do you "drive" off of?

When I start my downswing, do I drive off of my rear leg, pushing my rear hip through the swing or do I drive off the front leg, clearing the front hip out of the way?

Or both?

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Neither.

You’re going to early extend doing that.

You’re supposed to push down to start the downswing and your body will react by pushing off near impact.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Neither.

You’re supposed to push down to start the downswing and your body will react by pushing off near impact.

You beat me too it

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Neither.

push down what the grip?

Squat.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Neither.

I agree but I think "pushing down" could be misinterpreted as "pushing off."

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

When I start my downswing, do I drive off of my rear leg, pushing my rear hip through the swing or do I drive off the front leg, clearing the front hip out of the way?

Or both?

I don’t normally think about it, possibly the rear foot pressure is higher at the top Then it transfers over by the time I’m at impact-ish?

Neither.

That's a good point. Could you perhaps say: push down and go up in the back swing, free fall into a squat and push down again to go up into impact?

I like to move my right knee to the left, good trigger .. for me anyways ... ymmv

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I think you can feel the linear move ( drift, surf, etc) as a push from the trail or a fall onto the lead. Certainly not a drive. Or a fire.

I like the downhill thought.

Believe the vertical force applied to the lead foot during this time is ballparked, at least, as 150%+ of weight. Like a jog step. Sets the stage for the “ jump” done so well by Thomas and bubba. Single lead leg swings, flamingo, are great for this. As are step drills that help with getting that pressure shifted too.

To me the trail foot pushes away like a hockey skater while the lead does the oppsite. Generates the torque to rotate the hips .

I like this view of how the feet work to produce rotation. Walk backwards with the trail foot in backswing and forward in downswing. Then reversed with the lead foot.

https://www.andrewricegolf.com/andrew-rice-golf/

More info here. https://www.swingcatalyst.com/learning-center/articles/ground-reaction-force

Easy Peasy. Do that, chew gum, in a second or so.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

I am having a problem or I'm not feeling much from the belt down causing my hips to clear last instead of first. I did see a drill where you try and rotate your front knee towards the target line and I was doing that in practice swings in the backyard and it felt really good so I think I'm going to try that instead of worrying about how to push off

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Neither.

Can you define "push down" ?

i have an idea what you mean, just making sure im right. Im hoping for a detailed explanation of what to do..

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

Neither.

That's a good point. Could you perhaps say: push down and go up in the back swing, free fall into a squat and push down again to go up into impact?

No, no, and just no. Stop messing it up. Monte was very clear.

Post a swing, there is a missing detail or two.

I'd listen to Monte as well...

Post a swing..

There's no point looking for movements in certain areas if the ones before it are wrong.

You talk about the hips clearing. They'll do that naturally of everything before it is good. Same as your knee drill.

If you clear the hips to start the swing and you have a cast or are OTT and haven't any shallowing in the club your just going to make things worse..

If your trying to get power from the ground do as Monte says. Otherwise you will early extend, trust me I was an expert at that..

Video worth x many words.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BorJ4SKFh98/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

I'll call the imagery of the "push down" the lower body lie. Most people think of it in the feet when you should think of it in terms of the hips. Monte has a video called the zipper away drill. It cures several issues but to execute it correctly, the hips that are controlling the action. The lowering "effect" is the push down. This movement as well as the left knee separating from the right lowers the entire upper body and initializes the forces into the ground. Think of it is cocking the hammer on a gun.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

My post will go up a bit later, but here is a feel from a great player and the first 6 words are the important part.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Very often I think lots of golfers focus too much on technique/mechanics than what is really needed for the golf swing. I know you've probably read or heard this before, but try to make your movements as natural as possible. When you throw a baseball, or swing a bat, or serve a ball in tennis are you actively thinking about which body part does what.

Swinging a baseball bat to hit a ball off a tee for example, when you are about to start the baseball swing does mind first think, "ok lead foot steps slightly forward, then I rotate my hips, then my rear leg drives into the ground etc etc". No batter thinks like that because the movement is natural. A baseball swing hitting a ball off a tee which is roughly waist height is not much different than hitting a golf ball off a tee. The plane of the swing is just different.

Hammering a nail, using an axe to chop a tree, these movements naturally happen because your brain knows what the objective is. Now I understand the golf swing is not particularity a natural movement, but once you get the basic fundamentals down your brain knows what the objective is. Certainly things like hand eye coordination help with the task as well, but I feel lots of golfers try to over complicate the swing.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0
3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM5 50°, Cleveland Zipcore 54°, Cleveland Zipcore 58°
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab 3

Swinging a baseball bat to hit a ball off a tee for example, when you are about to start the baseball swing does mind first think, "ok lead foot steps slightly forward, then I rotate my hips, then my rear leg drives into the ground etc etc". No batter thinks like that because the movement is natural. A baseball swing hitting a ball off a tee which is roughly waist height is not much different than hitting a golf ball off a tee. The plane of the swing is just different.

Perhaps a batter playing tee-ball doesn't think about it, but a batter who wants to play at a much higher level spends a lot of time learning correct sequencing and mechanics.

Perhaps a batter playing tee-ball doesn't think about it, but a batter who wants to play at a much higher level spends a lot of time learning correct sequencing and mechanics.

Exactly.

I really love the feel of pushing off my trail foot. LOVE IT! Unfortunately, as Monte showed me on the pressure mat, it doesn't get me to the right place at the right time. I suppose I prefer that feel because I grew up with a pretty good throwing arm and, through baseball, ingrained those mechanics. But the pressure trace doesn't lie, and now I have to work on more of a falling feeling. The downhill thing.

Sorry I dont have a recent side view slow mo

Seemore mFGP2 

I'd listen to Monte as well...

Post a swing..

There's no point looking for movements in certain areas if the ones before it are wrong.

You talk about the hips clearing. They'll do that naturally of everything before it is good. Same as your knee drill.

If you clear the hips to start the swing and you have a cast or are OTT and haven't any shallowing in the club your just going to make things worse..

If your trying to get power from the ground do as Monte says. Otherwise you will early extend, trust me I was an expert at that..

I may have been less clear than I needed, my hips/mid section are not leading the down swing, at impact they have barely rotated and I look stuck

Seemore mFGP2 

You're are correct, I don't disagree with that. My point was though that during practice sessions high level baseball players (college & pro) still do tee work. It's a way to work on your swing without the need for someone else throwing you batting practice.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0
3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM5 50°, Cleveland Zipcore 54°, Cleveland Zipcore 58°
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab 3

My post will go up a bit later, but here is a feel from a great player and the first 6 words are the important part.

And call this "pulling the trigger!"

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Neither.

Monte, where do you stand on ideal posture for the golf swing? Athletic or more Ping-man style like Genkas?

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash