2019 Callaway Apex & Apex Pro Iron Pics

easyyy

Anyone compare the cf19 to p790s yet? Feedback??

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

It’s funny I grew up playing Callaway irons and the past couple of years I just can’t find a model I like. X Protos were the last set I enjoyed from Callaway.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Tour 3 Fairway 15.0D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

It's funny I grew up playing Callaway irons and the past couple of years I just can't find a model I like. X Protos were the last set I enjoyed from Callaway.

I take it that you also don't like the latest offering or you finally like one?

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

So I hit the Apex for the first time yesterday at GG. I tried them side by side with the Mizuno HM's. Even though it was cast vs forged, I preferred the feel and consistency of the Mizunos.

I also had an issue with a couple of flyers with the Callaways. It was a stock 7 iron that was consistently flying 175-180. Then out of the blue, I would hit one 194. That happened about 3 times over the course of 50 balls. Not sure if it was the machine or the club but I wasnt doing anything different with the swing.

Anyone else seen this?

WITB
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0*

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* 

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 19* 

Ping i525 4-UW

Titleist Vokey SM8- 54* and 58*

Custom Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

It's funny I grew up playing Callaway irons and the past couple of years I just can't find a model I like. X Protos were the last set I enjoyed from Callaway.

Are you not liking the new Apex Pros?

I like them better than the 2018 X Forged but something about the shape and leading edge is off. I’ve found I am really picky with irons and Titleist irons look great to me but some other brands don’t. Taylormade looked PSI tours looked great and yet the 750/770’s didn’t.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Tour 3 Fairway 15.0D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Lefty431 - I did that comparison, although it was somewhat unintentional.

I just had my iron fitting at True Spec, and hit about every iron head that they had in the players iron category (or whatever the new buzzword is). I hit the p790, p760, Apex 19, PGX 0311 P gen 1, Titleist AP3, Mizuno JPX 919 Forged and irons models I didn't know from Cobra and Srixon.

At the end of the two hours it came down to the p790 and the apex 19. They were so close, it made my decision almost impossible. I would say the p790 was a hair more forgiving and a hair longer - but the apex set up better behind the ball and feel was superior. I tested them both with the KBS Tour V and Modus 3 120 Tour - both in Stiff and X-Stiff. I was able to work the ball both ways with each club and the forgiveness and length compared to my current gamers was mind blowing (Mizuno EZ Forged with Project X). My swing speed was between 92-95 controlled and 100 when I got after it (I think their machines are golfer friendly), my carry was between 203 and 208 with both. Spin was low (4500), but peak height was always between 90 and 100 feet - with angle of decent around 45 to 50. The spin number was definitely concerning and I know the Tour V is a low spin shaft so was worried about that combo with a Players Distance iron - but my fitter said the peak height and angle numbers were where they needed to be and not to worry (happy for anyone on here to let me know if they agree or disagree).

It is to the point where I will likely go back and just put those two head to head again before ordering.

So I hit the Apex for the first time yesterday at GG. I tried them side by side with the Mizuno HM's. Even though it was cast vs forged, I preferred the feel and consistency of the Mizunos.

I also had an issue with a couple of flyers with the Callaways. It was a stock 7 iron that was consistently flying 175-180. Then out of the blue, I would hit one 194. That happened about 3 times over the course of 50 balls. Not sure if it was the machine or the club but I wasnt doing anything different with the swing.

Anyone else seen this?

Are you saying you got flyers off of mats with Apex (or Apex Pros)? If so, my guess is it's the machine not recording at 100% accuracy. It's pretty hard to get a flyer off a mat. In the past, some clubs had "hot spots," like the old Tommy Armour 845's. However, in this case, I'd want to believe it was the machine, as I've seen nothing other that incredible consistency on GC Quad and Trackman with both the Apex and Apex Pros.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Has anyone else notice a whistling noise coming from the new Apex and Apex Pro irons? I hit three or four different irons today, and these were definitely making a whistling noise. I asked my father in law to hit the irons while I had my back turned, and I could tell every time when he was hitting the new Apex irons. It's not a make or break for me, but I am curious if anyone else has notice this as well?

Has anyone else notice a whistling noise coming from the new Apex and Apex Pro irons? I hit three or four different irons today, and these were definitely making a whistling noise. I asked my father in law to hit the irons while I had my back turned, and I could tell every time when he was hitting the new Apex irons. It's not a make or break for me, but I am curious if anyone else has notice this as well?

Was it demo fitting irons with a screw on the heel? If so, that’s likely the culprit

Nothing is safe in my bag!

Was it demo fitting irons with a screw on the heel? If so, that’s likely the culprit

Sounds like the fitting screw to me.

What was the tune ? :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

I was a massive fan of the 16’ Apex Pro’s, played some of the best golf of my life with them. These look so much better to me and I’m sure they perform just as well.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S

Mizuno Pro 221 4-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Odyssey Ai-ONE Seven CH | KBS CT Tour
Titleist ProV1

I can't swing fast enough to hear a whistle. :not_i:

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

I hit the pros for the first time yesterday and I was VERY impressed! To me these "feel" softer with better spin numbers than the 16 model. I will have a decision to make between these, 785s, mp18 sc, and p760. Its going to be an interesting fitting in two weeks and I cannot wait!

I sold my Z785's for the P760's and I don't regret it one bit. Love these irons. Put them up against the Apex Pro's and it was the best head to head I've ever done, ever.

Ended up ordering the Apex Pro's 5-PW KBS $ Taper 120 Black's

Now I just have to learn how to share time between sets because I'm playing the best golf of my life with these 760's.

Let me give you my insight:

The 760's are way more forgiving than the 785's.

The 785's have a very pure forged feel to them but the biggest downfall with the Srixons were the spin numbers I got with them, forgiveness is good but not even close to the 760's and Apex Pro's

The Apex Pro's are longer than my 760's but forgiveness is literally neck and neck.

Backspin was highest in the 760's at around 6800 in the 7 iron and over 10,000 in the PW. Srixons were the lowest around 5400 in the 7 iron and 8700 in the PW. The Apex Pro's were in between both.

The Apex Pro's look better in the mid irons but the 760's look better in the shorter irons imo. Long irons look great in all 3 sets, offset isn't as bad in the 760's as people put it out to be... the Srixons have the least amount of offset through the entire set.

Turf interaction is great in all 3 irons with the Apex Pro's have the sharpest leading edge so this really comes Down to your a.o.a.

Consistency from front to back dispersion has to go to the 760's

Consistency from left to right dispersion has to go to the Apex Pro's but I think a lot of that is due to the shaft that you go with.

Feel goes to the Srixons. The 760's have a very very soft muted feel even in the short irons which I prefer, but the Srixons have more of a pure forged feel to them.

The feel from the Apex Pro's is a little harder and clickier than the other 2 imo but still very responsive and easy to tell where your strike is.

Top line is thinnest in the Apex Pro's with the Srixons not far behind. The 760's have the thickest top line out of any of them but still not too thick in any way.

Overall you can't go wrong with any of them.

Great write up! I was looking at the same three sets! I am glad I found this, after confirmation of my love for the Pro's during my fitting.

I am blown away by the feel and accuracy of the Pros. You can still work the ball, yet its forgiving! How they accomplished this I do not know, but I sure am happy. I was slightly concerned with turf interaction because I was fit indoors. However, irons in general have a downward angle of attack. That coupled with the hard ground here in TX, you want something that will get through the turf. I am still debating getting to a fitter with grass in the next few days to decide between Srixon and Cally. But, if I cannot I will order the Pros.

One of my biggest reasons I was hesitant with the 760s was the different amount of filler in the heads. Seeing as I was only able to hit a 7 iron, I felt this is a set you need to hit almost all irons to make sure you like it. The technology is so progressive, a 7 iron just wont do. I was afraid of butter soft in long irons, and harsher/clicky in low irons. I do not like to have a different feel. And this is one main reason I loved the Pros, all the same tech - not progressive.

The Srixons I can confirm your statement about forgiveness. I thought they were just not quite as forgiving as the Pros, but they were 5 yards longer for me. While length is nice, I like left and right tightness better. I know some of that has to do with shaft, but I was in a Modus 130 X. I am sure I can get something even stiffer, but I love the feel of Modus. So if that's the feel I like, then I am going to find the head that performs best with that shaft. Comfort is confidence.

Was it demo fitting irons with a screw on the heel? If so, that's likely the culprit

Sounds like the fitting screw to me.

That's what I was thinking but none of the other heads I demoed made the noise.

It's unfortunate that Callaway took the name "Apex" from Ben Hogan golf. It means nothing to them.

Actually it means a lot to them...they've made untold millions selling Apex branded irons, including 4 sets from me alone.

Titleist TSR3 Driver
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 3i

Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60*
Byron Morgan 615

Callaway Chrome Tour

Anyone compare the cf19 to p790s yet? Feedback??

I did a head to head compare quickly at Dicks with their stock shafts (P790- DG105, Apex 19- Elevate 95) and found the 790s to be 14 yards longer. Naturally the simulators in there are garbage and they were only listing total distance :WTF: ... so Im sure the carry difference between them isnt quite that large, but I wouldnt doubt that Im at least half a club longer in carry with the P790s. Need to find a real store to go test in again and use the same shafts this time. I would probably have to give the Apex the slight edge for feel, but as you guys already know the 790s felt good for the numbers I was seeing.

Anyone else? Its time for me to pull the trigger on a new set this year.

One of my biggest reasons I was hesitant with the 760s was the different amount of filler in the heads. Seeing as I was only able to hit a 7 iron, I felt this is a set you need to hit almost all irons to make sure you like it. The technology is so progressive, a 7 iron just wont do. I was afraid of butter soft in long irons, and harsher/clicky in low irons. I do not like to have a different feel. And this is one main reason I loved the Pros, all the same tech - not progressive.

Ive hit my buddy's 760s across the bag. No difference in feel from 3-7i, and the transition into the solid construction at the 8i felt very similar. Definitely on my list for sure.

May anybody tell me how the Pros compare to the 716 AP2 Look wise?

Which blade is longer and which top line thinner/thicker?

Thx

GD Tour AD TP 6X Big Bertha B21 8°

KBS Tour Proto 105X Callaway XForged'18 UT 18°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway XForged'18 UT 24°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway Apex Pro'19 5-PW

DG Tour Issue Onyx S400 SM9 50°/54°/58° Jetblack

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro Plus

The CF19's are the real deal, they are long, feel and look great. In my first day out with them I did have a tendency to pull the ball which I'm not sure is due to the offset or just me having a bad swing day. Aside from the few pull hooks I hit, they exceeded my expectations in terms of feel and distance. I'll need a few more sessions with them to make sure the pull hook is me and not the clubs but otherwise, they are likely kicking the i500's out of the bag.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

So, what's the consensus on the Pros vs. the X-Forged?

Head size differences? Are the X-Forged softer?

i got fitted today. came down between pros and x forged. currently game 2014 apex pros. never got along with the 16 apex pros they felt clickier to me than the 14s. x forged felt a little softer but was a lot less forgiving for me (im a 10 handicap). misses would be 10-15 yards short where apex pro misses were nowhere near as bad and much more consistent. x forged had thinner top line and a little less sole width than the apex pro. ended up get matched up with elevate tour x stiff shaft in standard lie and length.

Both new clubs look great. Can't help but look and ask - after 3 years is this the best Callaway could do? It really is down to very very small increments of improvement. If you don't play for dough perhaps retro will provide more enjoyment.

The golf club industry is a lot like the electronics industry. The manufacturers have a fixed release schedule that is typically intended to represent evolutionary changes to their products, not revolutionary. At this time, distance seems to be king and the manufacturers are jacking lofts and playing with weight placement in heads and testing different shafts to get the distance and trajectory they want. The reality is it's about ego, the older golfers that refuse to acknowledge they can't carry a 7i 150 yards any longer want irons that allow them to carry the ball 150 yards, loft and the other stuff doesn't matter as long as the stamping on the bottom of the club says "7".

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

i stopped at PGASS and snapped a few pix of the CF19 and Apex pro 19' ,both 6 irons off the shelf ,the CF 6 iron to my eye has considerable more off-set than the Apex pro 19' ,,i was considering the combo set but after looking at both models i'm considering the Apex pro 19' / MB combo instead...also hit both models 7 irons and the CF was just as solid as the pro w/ recoil

ES 780 smacwrap shaft ,like the recoil 110 best ,also hit the PX 100 gram 6.0 graphite shaft and wasn't bad but both recoil shafts felt livelier ,, t