Just found my source of back pain...

radiman

Minor update for those that may be interested, or in a similar situation:

I am pretty much back to where I was pre-cortisone injection. In fact, in only really lasted a week or two before it began declining again. I had a few good exercises from the Physical Therapist that have done a pretty good job on strengthening my lower back. I have added in bird dogs and some basic extension exercises. Things felt better for the most part, up until I would pick up a golf club. I don't think at this point I could play two days in a row. I haven't played golf for about a month. So, overall, my back has felt much better. There are a few days here or there where it bothers me after an awkward movement or two.

I started back in the gym a few weeks ago, really easing into things. It feels counter productive not really pushing myself. I am starting to up the ante so to say getting back into squats. Keeping the weight pretty low and the sets down to 3 with 5 reps. I don't see myself doing deadlifts again unless I really feel great for a long time. I have substituted goblet squats in their place to push the abs a little more.

The sad thing is, with golf out of the equation for a while, I am actually starting to improve. I just hope that a long winter will see some healing so I am not in the same boat next spring. To supplement real golf, I am doing some easy swings with an Orange Whip in my living room just to keep my muscle memory since I actually saw some good improvement in my swing the 2nd half of the year.

You can still build strength with light weight, you just need to do tempo lifts. Do segmented deads with a 3 sec pause at each position. Do 3 sec tempo squats, with a 2 sec return to the top. Etc... I do single leg Romanian DL's, for example, with 2 big dumbells, at 3 seconds to lower and 2 seconds to raise. After 3 sets of 8, It's damn near cardio work!!! :-D

I have been attempting to work those movements back in with lighter weights. So far, any movement that involves me holding or lifting any weight while leaning forward has resulted in an aggravation of the disc issue. It will feel ok during the workout, but will be pretty sore the few days after. I really want to get back to deadlifts and am having a hard time taking things slowly.

I am contacting the chiro today to go in for a consultation. I am interested in what they can offer for my issue.

Make sure whatever Chiro you choose takes standing X-rays and goes over them with you in detail as well as their proposed treatment.

Lying down X-rays are worthless.

As always, best of luck.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Is anyone familiar with something called Non-surgical Spinal Decompression? The chiro that I just came from is highly recommending it. He says he has had roughly a 90% success rate with his patients. The thing is, it's $70 a treatment and insurance will not cover it. The first 4 weeks would be 3 visits a week. So, roughly $840 on something that I don't really know much about.

I did go through one session of it to see how I responded. It was not bad. I actually feel a little better. A little more range of motion. I was hoping someone could speak to their own experience with it.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

So, after as much digging as a guy can do in 4 hours, I am really leaning towards not doing this treatment. For one, I'm starting to doubt that the central pain I'm having is really the disc. I think it may be the facet syndrome on the right side. Mainly, the specific movement seems to go against what one would see with a disc issue. It hurts when I go into extension, not flexion. I can bend forward all day with little issue.

With the success that I've had on my left side, I think I may give it a little more time to heal and consult the Dr again about the right side. If a branch block on my right side allows me to go into extension, I think I would have my answer.

From there, it may be a matter of really strengthening my core. At that point, I could really start squatting and dead lifting again.

I'm actually planning on going to the gym tonight to do some light deadlifts with a trap bar to see how my back responds.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Well, I managed to do deadlifts today without killing my back. Just eased into it and really focused on keeping my back neutral. Not too much extension and no flexion. With a trap bar I only pushed it up to 235 for 3 sets of 5 reps. I have been babying my back for so long on doctors orders. It's amazing how much strength those muscles lost.

So, my plan for now is to keep working these in. Keep the weight low and just retrain those muscles. Not trying to set any records, just rehab for now. I'll also be avoiding anything that calls for excessive extension of the back. Squats will be back. But, I'm going to hold off for a couple weeks to see how I respond to deadlifts.

I'm also going to look into this DDP yoga. If it's good enough for Diamond Dallas Page, then it's good enough for me :)

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I just wanted to throw this in there. Most people have inflammation and from time to time bulging discs, that most the time is normal wear and tear and aging. I had a MRI and was told the same thing by the doctor (he threw in Stenosis and 2 bulging discs), went to a surgeon and and he wanted to fuse my l4/l5.

I found a good Physical Therapist, and he disagreed with the doctor and surgeon. He said it was piriformis syndrome, I started physical therapy for it. The foam roller was excruciatingly painful. I also did exercise for my lower back, mostly yoga stretches. After 2 weeks I felt great, my right foot numbness was gone, now I play pain free. I even have regained all of my swing speed back.

I sit a lot at my job, so I have to keep doing these exercises and stretches or the pain does slowly come back.

I just wanted to throw this out for you.

Whatever happens with you, best wishes and good luck.

Let's hear more about what you did for your piriformis please

The PT had me doing pretty much the same exercises these guys recommend. I also used a really hard roller on it. It's so painful. The best thing the PT did was just diagnosing it and laying down his case for why it was Piriformis. I learned that not all PT's are created equal that day.

I dig these guys on youtube and I still do these stretches daily.

Here is another good article:

https://runnersconne...ndrome-running/

Has a popup, but good one:

https://www.noregretspt.com.au/index.php/resources/blog/43-2014/257-the-4-best-exercises-for-piriformis-syndrome

THANK YOU for this.....haven't followed every step but just a few of the stretches in the morning has improved my mobility and decreased pain.....got my wife into also

So, weird progression of things. The burning skin is gone. But, it was replaced by an itch. After the deadlifts, my back is feeling pretty dang good. Definitely going to continue with them. Going to stick with lighter weights though. I was pretty sore for more than a couple days.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

• 3 months later...

About time for an update right? Since my last post in January, things have changed a bit. I made some good progress with some consultation from my chiro. He's less of the "chiropractic will fix everything" and more of "you have to fix yourself through hard work" type.

I'd say I'm probably at 95% about 95% of the time. He got me a little more range of motion. I've rededicated myself to squats, deadlifts, and core work in general. Everything I do is within my current ability and never looki9to over extend myself. I'm not looking to break personal records and I'm very aware of what each movement will do to my body in the following days.

I'm at the point where leg day makes my back feel great. I can go about 6 days before it starts getting sore again and I know it's time for squats and deadlifts again. From working with my chiro, I've figured out that babying my back isn't going to fix anything. My disc needs movement to get blood flowing through it. Being inactive would be the worst thing I could do.

I've also started doing DDP Yoga throughout the week. I can't say that it's added any additional range of motion yet. But, my back and core are thanking me for the additional work. I'm not hobbling off of the 18th hole anymore.

I still have my bad days. But they are fewer and further between now.

• Like 1

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I'll add that in really listening to how my body feels when at the gym. It of a general sense of caution, I'm using the trap bar for dead lifts. I'm also starting to add in other movements that had caused me a lot of pain in the past. Back extensions and especially bent over rows were murder on my lower back. Now, their crucial to getting my back ready for the week.

• Like 1

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

• 3 years later...

Sadly this is a topic I’m very familiar with. I’m 39 currently and turning 40 this year, but have been dealing with a herniated disc in lower back (L4) since the age of 23. After getting out of Marines I was a certified personal trainer and used to do competitive bodybuilding in my early 20’s and hurt my back deadlifting. STAY AWAY from any exercises that compress ur spine (barbell squats w/bar across upper back), and standard barbell deadlifts w/bar in front. If you still want to deadlift (the potential risk is not worth the reward in my opinion), then use a hex bar or trap bar so that your hands are at ur sides. This will greatly reduce the chance of bad form(rounded back, etc.) and should prevent any extra stress on lower back. Definitely need to continue to work out, paying extra attention to keeping a strong lower body, abs, and surrounding areas of the back. I have mild arthritis in low back as well, and staying properly hydrated all the time is very important. Some people think they are drinking enough water, but most are not. Having this happen in your mid 30’s is absolutely life dealing u a crap hand, and I know it gets slightly more difficult each year for me. Just realize that you will need to warm up/loosen up before you play, and listen to your body. There will be bad days where you can’t physically play, try not to get too discouraged (it’s very difficult I know). Pay closer attention to your diet, and sleeping habits, and seriously HYDRATE. The positive side of the coin is the fact that it could be a lot worse, and enjoy the days you do get out there.

Titleist TsR3 10* w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

On 1/10/2019 at 5:38 AM, Coy M said:

Thought I'd share my experience with "back pain" starting at age 19 (24 now). I started getting pains while golfing and played through it for a few months. It eventually got to the point were it hurt badly to play golf and also had a good amount of resting pain. I went through EVERYTHING to find out what was causing this: MRI, cortisone injections, nerve blocks, PT, 2x chiros, 2x PT). What I've FINALLY found out is that I have chronic trigger points in my glute muscles. I had dry needling done last week and played golf back to back days this past weekend (first time I've done this in over 3-4 years).

Thought I'd give an update. I've essentially been pain free and playing golf with no limitations for 3 years now. My hip complex was very unbalanced which was making my right hip flexor very tight/weak. This led to what felt like lower back pain for YEARS. It also took several months to a year of consistent stretching with exercises to see noticeable improvement (takes years to create the problem and it can't be fixed overnight). 

At almost 60 years old, I've had lower back pain for 2/3 of my life and have tried everything except surgical intervention. This 9-minute video has helped me more than any PT, yoga, exercises. etc. Maybe it can help a few of you, as well.

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

15 hours ago, KevCannon said:

Sadly this is a topic I’m very familiar with. I’m 39 currently and turning 40 this year, but have been dealing with a herniated disc in lower back (L4) since the age of 23. After getting out of Marines I was a certified personal trainer and used to do competitive bodybuilding in my early 20’s and hurt my back deadlifting. STAY AWAY from any exercises that compress ur spine (barbell squats w/bar across upper back), and standard barbell deadlifts w/bar in front. If you still want to deadlift (the potential risk is not worth the reward in my opinion), then use a hex bar or trap bar so that your hands are at ur sides. This will greatly reduce the chance of bad form(rounded back, etc.) and should prevent any extra stress on lower back. Definitely need to continue to work out, paying extra attention to keeping a strong lower body, abs, and surrounding areas of the back. I have mild arthritis in low back as well, and staying properly hydrated all the time is very important. Some people think they are drinking enough water, but most are not. Having this happen in your mid 30’s is absolutely life dealing u a crap hand, and I know it gets slightly more difficult each year for me. Just realize that you will need to warm up/loosen up before you play, and listen to your body. There will be bad days where you can’t physically play, try not to get too discouraged (it’s very difficult I know). Pay closer attention to your diet, and sleeping habits, and seriously HYDRATE. The positive side of the coin is the fact that it could be a lot worse, and enjoy the days you do get out there.

so - on this site you see a lot of guys suggesting deads and other very traditional strength exercises for 'saving' backs/ hips etc etc - but this point you make avoiding compressing the spine - seems so overlooked and under-appreciated - there are so many exercises you can do without loading the spine, to me seems like people are very weak in certain muscles and while doing deads/ squats improves strength of those muscles leading to less pain - down the road i do think that compressing the spine is a huge error 

train muscles not movement?

1 hour ago, Mono said:

so - on this site you see a lot of guys suggesting deads and other very traditional strength exercises for 'saving' backs/ hips etc etc - but this point you make avoiding compressing the spine - seems so overlooked and under-appreciated - there are so many exercises you can do without loading the spine, to me seems like people are very weak in certain muscles and while doing deads/ squats improves strength of those muscles leading to less pain - down the road i do think that compressing the spine is a huge error 

train muscles not movement?

Yup, that’s the goal more or less. You need to do resistance training on the various muscle groups to maintain/gain strength, but there are a number of different ways to go about it. I have a handful of certifications in personal training, kinesiology, and nutrition, and 1st person knowledge of training with  a back injury. The spinal compression point is obviously a big 1 to pay attention to, as well as any type of exercise/movement that could potentially put the body in any type of awkward position that stresses the low back. I have also found that doing repetitive higher impact stuff like running on roads, jumping and landing on a hard surface, etc. does more harm than good with any disc or spinal injury. You can make the simple exercises become difficult by changing time under tension, pauses, doing more unilateral movements (think doing single leg lunges vs. standard squats). 

Titleist TsR3 10* w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

^100%

I like heavy loads for strength but have to be extremely cautious with my lower back. At the same time, I need posterior chain strength but have to be careful to not go too heavy. I still incorporate light and slow, like I posted about a few years ago, though I'm pretty sparing with the deadlifts these days.

On 1/22/2019 at 2:51 AM, johnrobison said:

You can still build strength with light weight, you just need to do tempo lifts. Do segmented deads with a 3 sec pause at each position. Do 3 sec tempo squats, with a 2 sec return to the top. Etc... I do single leg Romanian DL's, for example, with 2 big dumbells, at 3 seconds to lower and 2 seconds to raise. After 3 sets of 8, It's damn near cardio work!!! 😄

On 8/30/2018 at 9:14 AM, radiman said:

My lower back has been a problem for the past two years. I have just attributed it to getting a little older and tried strengthening my core. That helped a bit to the point where my back hasn't gone out in a while. But, I have continued to have soreness and stiffness with varying degrees of severeness. Typically, when I get out of bed, it feels like my vertebrae are grinding a bit. I am very stiff and it takes a while to loosen up. That doesn't bode well for early morning tee times 🙂

I went into my dr to discuss it with him. He recommended that I have an MRI to see what is actually going on. Just got the call. I guess I have arthritis in my back spread across multiple vertebrae. What this means for me going forward is anyone's guess. I have it in my right foot, and from my experience with that, I know this is not going to get any better. At best, I may be able to prevent it's progression a bit, but it will eventually get worse. While I know that things could be a lot worse, I can't help but feel a sense of hopelessness. I always hoped things would improve. Now, I find myself wondering what my golf game will look like 10 years from now. My current situation already restricts my range of motion on the good days. On the bad days, I just don't play. I have a referral to a pain clinic. I already know that I won't be going down the pain killer route. I am hoping the modern miracle of medicine has some sort of new fancy treatment that will allow me to regain some of my range of motion. My current swing is built around flexibility and the ability to hit the ball a long ways.

Anyone else have any experience in this realm? Maybe things aren't as bleak as I fear they will be. I am only 36, so I have a lifetime of golf ahead of me, I hope...

If this isn't the best forum for the topic, I apologize.

Hey buddy i feel your pain. I fractured my back in an accident when I was 21. I have 3 fused vertebrae as a result. They told me I should never lift 30 pounds for the rest of my life.

However, I started playing golf and felt like I could do it in spite of the pain I had. However, in my 50's the pain got worse so I started looking at different techniques and finally between me and my friend Javier we have come up with something that is stress free on the lower back. We use the bodies natural ability to load muscles and tendons and our results are acceptable. I'm 57 and swing over 120 and Javier is 56 and can reach 106.

The secret is to keep the weight on the balls of the feet and the legs, hips and lower back more or less "flexibly tense" during the takeaway, as opposed to the standard method of turning the hips to start the swing, which I have found puts the lower back vertebrae in a stressed position due to the muscles and tendons being too relaxed. Good luck buddy.

Please look at our thread.

Edited by chipa

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.