"Sponsorships" for Junior Golfers?

I know of one that is 7 and is sponsored by Callaway, not sure what it means from a $$ or equipment perspective but it usually means big discounts on equipment. Often in younger age groups, it'll be parents trying to get the attention of the manufacturer by tagging them in posts rather than there being any sort of deal in place.

I know of one that is 7 and is sponsored by Callaway, not sure what it means from a $$ or equipment perspective but it usually means big discounts on equipment. Often in younger age groups, it'll be parents trying to get the attention of the manufacturer by tagging them in posts rather than there being any sort of deal in place.

That is hard for me to believe. Callaway is not friendly to junior golfers at all unless you know somebody.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

That is hard for me to believe. Callaway is not friendly to junior golfers at all unless you know somebody.

Agree, that's why I said i'm not sure what it means in terms of $$ etc. But this kid is the face of their Junior clubs here in NZ and Australia. Could be an arrangement via a Pro or something.

Yup, I was wondering the same. There is an 8y/o in Florida who appears to be on Team Taylormade. He's a good golfer and has like 16,000 followers on IG. Not sure which is the driving force, but either way, good for him.

This is the same kid I was referencing. Great kid and good parents, my kid is in same age group and play against him often in regionals & worlds. That post really leads on that the there is a relationship in place with TM . Also same kind of stuff with Under Armour. Thinking not only is kid really good, but is highly visible through SM both help. Not knocking this at all, good for him. Just curious.

Yup, I was wondering the same. There is an 8y/o in Florida who appears to be on Team Taylormade. He's a good golfer and has like 16,000 followers on IG. Not sure which is the driving force, but either way, good for him.

This is the same kid I was referencing. Great kid and good parents, my kid is in same age group and play against him often in regionals & worlds. That post really leads on that the there is a relationship in place with TM . Also same kind of stuff with Under Armour. Thinking not only is kid really good, but is highly visible through SM both help. Not knocking this at all, good for him. Just curious.

Sounds like it. If he is in fact getting free clubs from TM then he would be the youngest I've heard of. I know a few others that get maybe a driver or putter here and there, but seems like he is getting full woods, etc.

Next time you see the dad you should just ask him.

This has changed. Callaway is pretty heavily involved in junior golf these days, at least the boys.

• Like 1

I have a buddy whose son is 11 and is one of the better players in his age group. He gets clothes, shoes, hats from Nike for free. They send him packages several times a year. He also gets stuff from Titleist as well. The only thing he doesn’t get is free clubs. His dad told me that he is about to get fitted for new clubs and Titleist will give him around 40% off retail. Callaway reached out to him as well but he opted to not do anything with them because of all the other stuff he is getting. Callaway has tiers that they put their kids in. The bottom level is what most of their sponsored kids are in and they get balls, gloves, hats. I think the second level adds a driver and putter. The top level is they get fitted for a full set of clubs plus all the balls, gloves, and hats. My buddy said that Nike and Titleist try to keep the total package to around $3000 per year in merchandise.

I know Callaway has a discount program just like everyone else. It was brought to my attention from the club pro. The discount you will get will be dependent on the rep and who you talk to and I suspect how much merchandise the club pro moves.

Curious what the deal is for "sponsorship's" is for Junior golfers? Specifically seeing stuff on instagram for young 7-8 year old golfers touting and thanking (XYZ) company for the new clubs or gear. Probably more prevalent in the older age groups, but surprised to see it in the younger ranks.

At that age the kid is almost certainly getting “nothing more than” balls and gloves—maybe shoes. Adult clubs don’t fit yet, nor do adult clothes. But I can assure you the major manufacturers, as disgusted as they are to do it, spend time at USKG events

This has changed. Callaway is pretty heavily involved in junior golf these days, at least the boys.

You need to be one of top players in the world to get the full treatment from Callaway, and really any of the companies.

Curious what the deal is for "sponsorship's" is for Junior golfers? Specifically seeing stuff on instagram for young 7-8 year old golfers touting and thanking (XYZ) company for the new clubs or gear. Probably more prevalent in the older age groups, but surprised to see it in the younger ranks.

At that age the kid is almost certainly getting "nothing more than" balls and gloves—maybe shoes. Adult clubs don't fit yet, nor do adult clothes. But I can assure you the major manufacturers, as disgusted as they are to do it, spend time at USKG events

the kid being mentioned is getting balls, drivers, fairway and hybrids.

At that age the kid is almost certainly getting "nothing more than" balls and gloves—maybe shoes. Adult clubs don't fit yet, nor do adult clothes. But I can assure you the major manufacturers, as disgusted as they are to do it, spend time at USKG events

Pretty unusual at 7-8, unless he/she has an older sibling

Pretty unusual at 7-8, unless he/she has an older sibling

An 8 year old sponsored by UA and TM, that's rich.

as stated the kid can flat out play. 2x us kids worlds among others. But given his age seems a bit much at such a young age. Who knows maybe they are fronting the bill so can he play all these events.

Are there any juniors faking sponsorship? I’ve notice that’s becoming popular in other areas such as social media influencers. For example, they’ll make a post look like it’s sponsored but it’s really not. Also seen something similar in basketball. Just wondering if this type maneuver has been used by a junior golfer.

Are there any juniors faking sponsorship? I’ve notice that’s becoming popular in other areas such as social media influencers. For example, they’ll make a post look like it’s sponsored but it’s really not. Also seen something similar in basketball. Just wondering if this type maneuver has been used by a junior golfer.

These guys are talking about an 8 year old. He's not posting his own stuff on Instagram. It's his parents making this stuff up.

I'll add that if you're looking at other kids IG and they're under 12-13 it's almost 100% certainly being posted by parents. If it is a kid's account that the parents are managing and it's not on private then they are just social media whores. It's the modern age dad's mid life crisis. Just go buy a Corvette already.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Are there any juniors faking sponsorship? Iâve notice thatâs becoming popular in other areas such as social media influencers. For example, theyâll make a post look like itâs sponsored but itâs really not. Also seen something similar in basketball. Just wondering if this type maneuver has been used by a junior golfer.

These guys are talking about an 8 year old. He's not posting his own stuff on Instagram. It's his parents making this stuff up.

I'll add that if you're looking at other kids IG and they're under 12-13 it's almost 100% certainly being posted by parents. If it is a kid's account that the parents are managing and it's not on private then they are just social media whores. It's the modern age dad's mid life crisis. Just go buy a Corvette already.

This^^^^^

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

This^^^^^

This is the case in a lot of sports. I know when my son was riding motorcycle we would go to alot of local races and watch. There was a kid there with 2 cobra 50s decked out in all monster gear. His dead swore up and down he was a sponsored by monster 100%.

Everyone knew the better but I guess it made the dad fill important

old people not understanding the intent of social media. :stop:

old people not understanding the intent of social media. :stop:

What is the intent?

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Yes a lot people are making up stuff to put on social media especially in Junior Golf. Would not be surprised by people lying about sponsorships. I was at an LPGA event and seen a well known junior girl with her dad waiting in line fo signatures. That in itself was not a big deal. But I looked at her face book page after and her dad basically was posting all the pictures and saying how she had a private meeting with them and how they personally were talking to his kid.

We were right behind them and could hear them talking to the players. The funny thing is those LPGA players had no clue who his kid was and just did the normal signing of pictures and stuff they always do.